General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 104

2010-11-06 5:24 AM
in reply to: #2512129

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
Be safe, race hard, have fun!!!

2010-11-06 5:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
Wishing everyone the very best of luck!  Go out there and NAIL whatever is thrown at you today!!  Looking forward to all of the race reports!
2010-11-06 6:58 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Wishing you all a great race!
2010-11-06 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3198164

New user
It has been a great race to watch.  Hoping everyone out there is doing great! Looking forward to reading everyone's race reports.  What was it like getting out of the swim?  How cold were you at the beginning of the bike?  Did you have any problems at the aid stations?  I bet the chicken boullion at the aid stations on the run was good to have..something hot to drink.... were the "girls" out there on the run?.... they must have been "more" dressed this year than in past year's when it was warmer
2010-11-06 10:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
I posted my random IMFL thoughts at ST and copied here:

I wanted to finish sub-12 with 11:30 being my perfect day. Finished in 11:53 - no way I was going to do 11:30 given the wind for most of the course and my T1 snafu. 

- Not a fan of mass start swims. Ouch! Finished in 1:06. 

- I have to give massive props to one IMFL volunteer. Never caught her name but she was a lifesaver. One of the watch bands to my Garmin 310XT broke when the wetsuit stripper took of my suit. That thing is my lifeline on the run. No pace and HRM would completely throw off my game. Yes, I'm a slave to technology. I was really bummed (the simple solution of carrying it never crossed my mind - although not an ideal situation anyway). My T1 was over 17 minutes as I tried to figure out a way to rectify the situation. One female volunteer was wearing her 310XT and she came over to me, popped off one of her bands and gave it to me. That was all kinds of awesome! Not sure why she was wearing her 310XT if she wasn't racing/training but I'm sure as heck glad that she was. That's karma coming back to me as I gave some lady a pair of swim goggles before the race because she forgot her's. 

- The first 40 miles or so of the bike was really cold. We basically only caught a tailwind the last 20 miles -- which was nice. I would say a huge portion of the rest of the course was headwind city. 

- Drafting not too bad. Only saw one huge peloton early on and they only stayed together for 10 miles or so. 

- T2 went smoother although still slow at 10 minutes. First time with this whole gear bag and changing tent stuff. In a way it's nicer than having your crap crammed next to your bike but it's definitely slower. 

- I have never run more than 18 miles at one time in my entire 40 years on this planet and that was about 4 weeks ago. Kind of worried how a 26.2 (after a 112 mile bike ride) was going to go. I walked for about 15 seconds in every aid station that I stopped at (skipped maybe 4 or so). I only stopped to walk one other time for about 1 minute at around mile 11. Otherwise, it was all running for me. Finished the run in 4:37. Nothing earth shattering but I'm pleased with it. 

- Chicken broth and cola were a god send. 

- It was freakin' cold the second half of the run. Had to put on a long sleeve shirt. 

Did anyone else see the guy who crapped himself? It was worse than the infamous pic that has been circulating the net for a couple of years. He ran past me and this god awful smell overwhelmed me. I was like, "What the heck is that?" Then I looked at the dude and there was crap everywhere. Dude just kept on trucking to the horrified delight of everyone. I'm speechless that he would continue. It's one thing if you're vying for the lead. It's another if you finish in 700th place or whatever. Please tell me someone else saw (or smelled) him?!? I wish I saw his bib # so I can buy his pictures. 

- What was with the 26.6 mile run? Was the extra .4 miles necessary? I guess they moved the finish line down S. Thomas Drive in front of the Boardwalk. It was down towards Alvin's in prior years from what I heard. If you move the line further down, don't you need to shorten the course somewhere else? How that piece of basic logistics slipped through the cracks is anyone's guess.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2010-11-06 10:37 PM
2010-11-06 11:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
Congrats to everyone.  Will post more later, but just wanted to say I was caught at the finish line by Kathy G's husband Kevin and her daughter.  What great family Kathy, Kevin was awesome and so helpful.  I made sure to give you props for all the good advice over the year leading up to this event

2010-11-06 11:47 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
11:31:39 for me, 15:06:43 for becky (ras26). Not a bad day, but a teeny bit disappointed. Will post more later when I'm not so exhausted.
2010-11-07 12:01 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, AL
Hey folks...
What a day!
Hope everybody's turned out as good as mine.
Finished in 11:27.  Was shooting for 12:00, but I had a heck of a swim, crushed the bike, and then had a poor to mediocre run, but who says it doesn't pay to put some time in the bank?
T1 was a mess. I'm glad I got out out of the water at 1:01, it was already crowded.  Would have hate to see it at 1:10. 
Bike course was phenomenal.  Other than that miserable stretch of 388 where bike SN was, the roads were like a baby's butt.  Drafting was a bit of an issue, but I suspect that's par for the course for a flat 112 miles with ~2500 riders.
Run course seemed a bit long to me too.  Up to about a half mile.  Maybe due to not running tangents?  Not sure how course is marked. 
Other than the SNAFU of the Thurs registration, I though the actual race was executed flawlessly.  Volunteers, aid stations, course selections were spot on.  I spent a good 5 min with my finish line catcher after I finished and he was nothing short of awesome.

Hope to put together a real RR, but will have to defer to a better time.  Gotta go to sleep so I can get up early to stand in line for finisher's gear.
Cheers!
Eric
2010-11-07 1:51 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
I saw the Guy who crapped himself. Actually I smelled him first as he ran past me (apparently up wind). It was all the way to his ankles! I thought the same thing - what an idiot! I hope they pulled him from the course for safety. I had a good race for my first IM. 12:34.
2010-11-07 5:33 AM
in reply to: #3199058

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
Congratulations to all the new & repeat ironmen, enjoy your incredible personal achievement & the extra hour in bed )completely enjoyed the experience (aside from a few a$$holes on the swim, the wind & cold on the bike ) never happier to get off of a bike - don't want to see that thing till next year @ the earliest /Had a good run & managed to cross the finish line & am very happy with my 12:24:53 (my goal was to beat my bib# 1300), did my first marathon in Maui in 2005 (4:32) an managed to better that time in an Ironman today (4:27) so super happy )Transitions were crazy, T1 elbow 2 elbow busy, spent 15 minutes in there & I wasn't idling - total of 25 mins in transition today - !Will do a full race report when i get homeThanks to all the BTers who i met this week in Florida - made the week so much more enjoyable, & for the countless others who answered my innane questions over the last year.
2010-11-07 6:24 AM

New user
Congrats to you and everyone finishing the race!.  Today, you are an IRONMAN!.  Get your finishing gear.  If you see it, buy it since there is not really another chance to purchase the finishing gear.  It is expensive.  But worth it.

Welcome to the Ironman Club.

Mr Steve
IMFL 2009 Finisher

2010-11-07 6:58 AM

User image

Congratulations to you all.  It was inspiring tracking you all...enjoyed every minute of it.
Rest up, get your finisher gear and enjoy your time left in PCB.  You IRONMEN are incredible.

Oh, and get those race reports done...we really want to hear from you  Smile  
2010-11-07 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
TriMyBest - 2010-11-07 1:51 AM I saw the Guy who crapped himself. Actually I smelled him first as he ran past me (apparently up wind). It was all the way to his ankles! I thought the same thing - what an idiot! I hope they pulled him from the course for safety. I had a good race for my first IM. 12:34.

It really was vile.  His pictures will be all over the internet by next week.  That's his legacy.  He's now that guy.
2010-11-07 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3199200

User image

Expert
San Diego

I saw that guy too. As he passed me I smelled it and thought about puking. Someone asked me, "You think that guy knows he s--t himself?" I certainly home he did.

My marathon did not go as planned, blowing up around 12-13 miles. Finished in 13:41, just under an hour slower that IMAZ 2007, but I finished and that's all that really matters.

I don't think I've ever been colder or in more pain than during the second half of the run.

2010-11-07 9:37 AM

Toronto
Good Morning and congratulations to all.

I thankfully missed "the guy"! All in all a good experience,  my run also fell completely apart.  I sometimse get a pinched nerve in the ball of my foot making even walking extremely painful and thats exactly what happened.  made me anywhere from 60-90 minutes later than what i was hoping for.  But it's the first one done,  which one next?  Kentucky or Arizona?
2010-11-07 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
Congrats to everyone. Despite the winds on the bike I Wally enjoyed the day. And yes, I left some money in the store this morning. . Time to relax, recover and put thoughts together for a race report.

2010-11-07 10:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
I had a blast yesterday!!! Flew up from Miami to volunteer and worked as a bike handler at T1, directed runners to their bags at T2, and then handed out medals for 3 hours and was a catcher for three more. The day was just amazing!!!!!!

This morning I registered for the 2011 race. Let the training begin!!!!

Edited by julio26pt2 2010-11-07 10:34 AM
2010-11-07 11:16 AM

User image

Elite
SE
Congrats to everyone! I'm hurting. Hope to see y'all again. Now onto IMCDA board for me...
2010-11-07 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
Austin
Congrats to everyone! This was my first IM and I finished in 12:47:32. I was on pace for 11:5x:xx until about mile 16 of the run when it all went south, but given my minimal run volume and my longest training run being just around 14 miles I'm super excited with how the race went!

Glad to have met a lot of BT'ers both at the practice swims and saw a couple on the course as well, man was that bike cold, I was probably one of about 10 people who didn't put on gloves in T1 and it took about two hours before I had feeling and the complete use of my hands on the bike (you try and open and eat gels when you can't touch your thumb to your pointer finger).

I'll post up a more detailed race report later, Thanks to anyone who volunteered and everyone on here who has been great support over the past year. Hope everyone is recovering well so far. Everyone was right, the training was much more challenging than race day, I have a feeling I won't be a one and done IMer.
2010-11-07 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3199359

User image

Had an awesome first Ironman yesterday!  Went just a few seconds over 12 hours...I thought I was on pace to break the 12 hr mark but I guess  the run course was a bit.  Im not too worried about it though.  Had a great time and will do my full race report when I get back home!
2010-11-07 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3199372

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
as living proof that there is just "no fix'n stupid" - I'm all signed up for IMFL 2011 - actually signed up on Friday, regrettedit briefly at a out mile 20 last night - but am back onboard today. Doing the repeat as my buddy had come along to sign up & wanted a training partner, otherwise would probably have go e to Cozumel, but had a great event this year & knowing how quickly the last year has gone - it'll be a very short time beforeI'm back in PCB )

2010-11-07 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3199442

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
Here's my race report:

First, let it be said that this is my first IM and I have no basis of comparison other than a few 70.3's.

Swim start - the mass swim start was fun, I enjoyed the adrenaline rush on a day when everything else is so held back.

The swim - my first lap was faster than the 2nd, but not sure why.  Maybe got tired?  Maybe the draft on the first loop, but still managed a 1:07 swim.  Since both of my other 1.2 swims were over 35 minutes, I was happy with the result.  I do well in sprint swims, but have struggled with the 1.2 distance for some reason.

T1 - In a word, embarassing..12:39.  I literally didn't know what to do.  My b@ll$ were 4" from the guys face in front of me, my a$$ was 6" from the guy behind me as I stood totally nude in the middle of the isle (no seats).  My stuff was in the middle of the floor getting kicked and thrown everywhere.  Good news is, I made it out without losing anything and had on everything I needed.

Bike - Because of the super elevated heart rate in T1 and being quite warm, I decided to go only in a sleeveless tri jersey and arm warmers, which probably wasn't enough.  I was pretty cold for at least the first 30 miles, but the head wind was more of a concern.  Had I known so much of 79 was in the shade, I might have rethought that decision, but even though it's obvious now, I never considered it.  As I said, the bike course gave us a headwind for 40 miles or so, then 15 miles of tailwind, then 20 miles of headwind and finally 40 miles of tailwind at the end (all approx). 

The out & back at the 56.2 mark was horrible.  Not big holes, but every 5 yards you hit another bump.  The tailwind home was a good opportunity to make up lost time, or rest.  I decided for the latter, but still turned out my fastest stretch the last 20 miles.  The wind tunnels in between the condo's on front beach road were everything I heard they were gonna be.  Bike split = 5:43, 19.54 mph.

T2 - ALOT better than T1, less people, less stuff needed.  Not the BEST time, but I put on body glide, Vaseline, changed HR monitors and had them put sunblock on me.  T2 = 6:02.

Run - The first mile was, WOW.  The support headed away from Alvin's Island was unreal.  The ladies in front of the beach houses, it really was fun.  Support slowly dwindled as did my energy and I ran into the infamous black 2XU singlet, pant cr@apper in the back of the park.  At first, I thought he fell in mud or something, then I realized it was much worse.  I agree with most, if your vying for  kona q., okay, but at best he was gonna just make it under 11 hours.  Man, jump in the gulf, wash yourself at an aid station, do something.  Thank goodness, that was all I saw of him.

The 2nd loop was a bit more rough, but my pace stayed the same when I ran, it's just my pee breaks became more frequent and the walks at aid stations became longer.  I met some really great people on the run who were great motivation.  Run split - 4:31.

The volunteers and aid stations were all great.  Only two in the middle part of the run course lacked a bit of enthusiasm, but were still very nice. 

Total time was 11:41, which I am happy with.  I thought I'd be between 12-13, but all I really wanted to do was finish, eat Mellow Mushroom afterwards, be at the finish line for midnight and be at the finishers tent for 6 am.  The only thing I didn't do was make the finish line at midnight.

Congrats to all finishers!

Edited by LSUfan4444 2010-11-07 1:54 PM
2010-11-07 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3199475

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
LSUfan4444 - 2010-11-07 1:50 PM Here's my race report:

First, let it be said that this is my first IM and I have no basis of comparison other than a few 70.3's.

Swim start - the mass swim start was fun, I enjoyed the adrenaline rush on a day when everything else is so held back.

The swim - my first lap was faster than the 2nd, but not sure why.  Maybe got tired?  Maybe the draft on the first loop, but still managed a 1:07 swim.  Since both of my other 1.2 swims were over 35 minutes, I was happy with the result.  I do well in sprint swims, but have struggled with the 1.2 distance for some reason.

T1 - In a word, embarassing..12:39.  I literally didn't know what to do.  My b@ll$ were 4" from the guys face in front of me, my a$$ was 6" from the guy behind me as I stood totally nude in the middle of the isle (no seats).  My stuff was in the middle of the floor getting kicked and thrown everywhere.  Good news is, I made it out without losing anything and had on everything I needed.

Bike - Because of the super elevated heart rate in T1 and being quite warm, I decided to go only in a sleeveless tri jersey and arm warmers, which probably wasn't enough.  I was pretty cold for at least the first 30 miles, but the head wind was more of a concern.  Had I known so much of 79 was in the shade, I might have rethought that decision, but even though it's obvious now, I never considered it.  As I said, the bike course gave us a headwind for 40 miles or so, then 15 miles of tailwind, then 20 miles of headwind and finally 40 miles of tailwind at the end (all approx). 

The out & back at the 56.2 mark was horrible.  Not big holes, but every 5 yards you hit another bump.  The tailwind home was a good opportunity to make up lost time, or rest.  I decided for the latter, but still turned out my fastest stretch the last 20 miles.  The wind tunnels in between the condo's on front beach road were everything I heard they were gonna be.  Bike split = 5:43, 19.54 mph.

T2 - ALOT better than T1, less people, less stuff needed.  Not the BEST time, but I put on body glide, Vaseline, changed HR monitors and had them put sunblock on me.  T2 = 6:02.

Run - The first mile was, WOW.  The support headed away from Alvin's Island was unreal.  The ladies in front of the beach houses, it really was fun.  Support slowly dwindled as did my energy and I ran into the infamous black 2XU singlet, pant cr@apper in the back of the park.  At first, I thought he fell in mud or something, then I realized it was much worse.  I agree with most, if your vying for  kona q., okay, but at best he was gonna just make it under 11 hours.  Man, jump in the gulf, wash yourself at an aid station, do something.  Thank goodness, that was all I saw of him.

The 2nd loop was a bit more rough, but my pace stayed the same when I ran, it's just my pee breaks became more frequent and the walks at aid stations became longer.  I met some really great people on the run who were great motivation.  Run split - 4:31.

The volunteers and aid stations were all great.  Only two in the middle part of the run course lacked a bit of enthusiasm, but were still very nice. 

Total time was 11:41, which I am happy with.  I thought I'd be between 12-13, but all I really wanted to do was finish, eat Mellow Mushroom afterwards, be at the finish line for midnight and be at the finishers tent for 6 am.  The only thing I didn't do was make the finish line at midnight.

Congrats to all finishers!

Our swim, bike runs times were so close to each other it's scary (1:06/5:42/4:37).  My T times were horrible, especially T1 with my equipment malfunction.

The scantily clad girls got more entertaining with each pass as they became more drunk.
2010-11-07 2:02 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great work every body!! You all had an awesome race!! 

It was great to meet all of you that I did meet at the morning swims!  Thanks for keeping me focused with this thread over the last year!!  Other than the oil leak distraction earlier this spring, this has been a great year of focused training for me. 

Ready for the off season!!

2010-11-07 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
Looking back, the best decision I probably made was making sure I wore my LSU tri kit.  With LSU beating Bama I got GEAUX Tigers all day.  There comes a point that it doesn't matter what people say to you, you just want acknowledgment and it definitely helped.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 104