BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-14 12:14 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Back to the shoes for a moment - anyone ever tri the ON Running shoes? https://www.on-running.com/en-us/shopthey look squishy!! AND we made it to Thursday. The dog is going to have to wait until next week for the AC. Repair guy said it may not be worth fixing and quoted us a new system. The new quote was what I consider UNREASONABLE so we're getting another opinion. Meanwhile the heat has broken and it's BEAUTIFUL here in southern New England - and should be the same for my first race of the season - a local duathlon. URGH still have to get through another day and a half of work though! Have a great day!

I have a pair of On Cloud Surfers that are in my training rotation. I like them, but the first time out was interesting. It took a few moments to figure out what I was feeling underfoot.  The heel is different, as you can probably tell, and as a heelstriker, it was an adjustment.  At this point (50 or so miles) I really like them, although they have a very stiff piece in the mid foot area that strikes me as weird. I feel like it kind of offsets some of the cushion.  Realistically though, cushion is why I have them, as they make the easy days feel even more EZ, if that makes any sense.

I like to try anything odd or different and these qualified for that. I got them through .com at a real reasonable price after the Zoots I tried didn't fit.

ETA: Evidently, the forums don't like the c1ymb

Interesting.  The LRS has mostly directed me toward Hokas because of the cushioning.  I'm not wearing my Bondis lately because of the knee pain issues I've been having so I'm only using 1 pair of running shoes.  They're Hoka Constants, which have cushion but more stability than other Hokas.  I might try rotating in the Bondis and see how they go or I might check out the Ons so I can have at least 1 other pair.  Luckily, the LRS carries them so I can give them a try.

Try them first, if possible. I've never used Hokas, but I'd be giving them a test run prior to purchase, just because of the differences from a more "standard" shoe.

YMMV.

2015-05-14 12:33 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
2015-05-14 12:36 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

So much catching up to do after nearly 24 hours way from Manatee Land!

Shoe Talk - I don't think that I've evern owned a pair of Asics.  I used Saucony, way back when.  Tried some New Balance and went through the tread in short order so back to Saucony's.  Fast forward to this decade. Saucony Guide, Brooks Ghost, Saucony Ride (with Rx orthotics), half size up in the Brooks Ghosts, now Brooks Glycerins (second pair with a third ready to go).  So right now, for me, Brooks.  

Steve - Maybe you should consider buying from someplace like Road Runner Sports that has a generous return policy (90 day test run).  Then, once you fine shoes that your love, order from the LRS. On the one hand, I think that it's really important to support your local run shop/bike shop/tri shop but on the other, they are often too small to have a the generous return policies as the bigger retailers. Sometimes I find that it's necessary to balance this out.  The demo program that Adrienne mentioned might work out well for you too.

Darren - Thanks so much for the camp report!  It sounds like it was really interesting!  I hope that you had a great time and made some friends   Regarding the camp instructors, like anything, you have to know how to "take what you like and leave the rest," as they say in the dog training world.  

Sean - I don't think that you're missing anything with the IM offer.  If you would like to do both and you already know it, it's $25 in your pocket.  If you're not sure, well, it could be a waste of $925.

Randee - We have beautiful weather today here in NC as well.  Mid 70s and very low humidity.  We have been warned that we aren't likely to see this kind of weather again until maybe September so we should enjoy it!  Regarind the A/C, my parents recently had to replace the HVAC in their house and they were told that the newer systems are basically made with sub par materials so they don't last.  Nice.  I think something about Chinese copper coils failing?  The copper isn't the best quality?  (Or else planned obsolescence?)

Tom - Sorry to hear about the foot/ankle issues.  I feel you on that.  I crushed my pinkie toe at the pool on Tuesday and it's ouchie   It's good that this weekend is a cycling thing, not a running thing!

2015-05-14 12:37 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by Jet Black Ok, question for y'all. Just got an email from Ironman offering a pre-sale package for Ironman Texas 70.3 & Ironman Texas in 2016 for $925. I don't think either of these events sell out quickly, so no real benefit there. And I think a regular Ironman is around $675 and I paid $275 for this HIM this year, so it looks like it will only save me $25 to do this deal? What am I missing here?

Nothing. You still have your money

And it's a good thing I do! My wife about had a heart attack when I fwd her the email. That was probably a bad idea! LOL!
2015-05-14 12:41 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Another PSA, this time @Chris

Balega Comfort Challenge

Attention Balega fans: Just passing along this opportunity from one of our favorite sock brands.

From May 15 through June 15, post photos illustrating the comfort of Balega socks to Instagram, along with the hashtag #BalegaComfortChallenge for the chance to win a free pair. Balega will be picking one winner per day!

2015-05-14 12:45 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by Jet Black Ok, question for y'all. Just got an email from Ironman offering a pre-sale package for Ironman Texas 70.3 & Ironman Texas in 2016 for $925. I don't think either of these events sell out quickly, so no real benefit there. And I think a regular Ironman is around $675 and I paid $275 for this HIM this year, so it looks like it will only save me $25 to do this deal? What am I missing here?

Nothing. You still have your money

And it's a good thing I do! My wife about had a heart attack when I fwd her the email. That was probably a bad idea! LOL!

No, it was a great idea, actually.  Then when you sign up for each one in turn, it will seem like short money. 

Had a nice moment with The Better Half this morning.  She might sign up and do the Cap Tex Tri with me next weekend (after we do an 8k on Sunday).

Out of the blue.  I said I'd be back in time for a neighbor's Mem Day party, and she said, "Hmmmm.  Maybe I'll do it, too.  Even though I haven't ridden my bike since our first tri three years ago - and haven't really swum since then, either.  I need a race." 

And THAT is why it's been a happy couple decades (plus) together.  She always keeps me guessing.

Matt

2015-05-14 12:59 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Randee - I had to hunt to find this:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/gear/gear.asp?pid=13791

HEH! I just found a store near me that carries them so I may go try on some little clouds!!

Yeah Janyne the salesman basically told me the same thing. It's like most big appliances these days - nothing lasts. It's probably due to cheap parts but the mfgrs aren't complaining about the replacement sales!!

2015-05-14 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

HEH! I just found a store near me that carries them so I may go try on some little clouds!! Yeah Janyne the salesman basically told me the same thing. It's like most big appliances these days - nothing lasts. It's probably due to cheap parts but the mfgrs aren't complaining about the replacement sales!!

I must have Chinese copper in my knees and back...

Matt

2015-05-14 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

HEH! I just found a store near me that carries them so I may go try on some little clouds!! Yeah Janyne the salesman basically told me the same thing. It's like most big appliances these days - nothing lasts. It's probably due to cheap parts but the mfgrs aren't complaining about the replacement sales!!

I had to replace my HVAC unit last November.  In fact, it went out 2 days after my surgery and on a Sunday.  Owner of the business came out Monday, we decided on a unit that he said would be installed the next day.  Nothing was written up (and I call myself an attorney), but the workers showed up bright and early Tuesday morning.  I let them in and then headed off for my Dr's visit.  When I came back everyone was hard at work.  A couple of hours later, the owner shows up and informs me that they put in a 1/2 ton larger unit b/c he wouldn't have been able to get the unit we discussed in for a couple of days and he knew I needed the A/C (yes, A/C in November).  Thankfully, that size was appropriate for my house too.  Before I had a chance to say anything he added that it was, of course, the same price!  Never once did we sign any paperwork, I never gave him a deposit and he made the upgrade decision without calling me.  Weirdest business transaction I've ever had, but it worked out well for me.   Of course, it also tells me that the mark up on these things is quite large!!

2015-05-14 1:33 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I had to replace my HVAC unit last November.  In fact, it went out 2 days after my surgery and on a Sunday.  Owner of the business came out Monday, we decided on a unit that he said would be installed the next day.  Nothing was written up (and I call myself an attorney), but the workers showed up bright and early Tuesday morning.  I let them in and then headed off for my Dr's visit.  When I came back everyone was hard at work.  A couple of hours later, the owner shows up and informs me that they put in a 1/2 ton larger unit b/c he wouldn't have been able to get the unit we discussed in for a couple of days and he knew I needed the A/C (yes, A/C in November).  Thankfully, that size was appropriate for my house too.  Before I had a chance to say anything he added that it was, of course, the same price!  Never once did we sign any paperwork, I never gave him a deposit and he made the upgrade decision without calling me.  Weirdest business transaction I've ever had, but it worked out well for me.   Of course, it also tells me that the mark up on these things is quite large!!

In your defense, you probably were on drugs at the time.  Thankfully, it all worked out in the end!

2015-05-14 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

So... I saw in Jen's log that she is having problems with some older shoes that are not nearly maxed out on mileage.  I also saw that NancySteve gets older model shoes (new but older model) off of eBay. These two situation triggered something that I think that I read a few years ago -- the EVA foam in shoes has a shelf life, not just a mileage life.  Is that true?

OK, I'll Google it and get a head start on the conversation.  Apparently Hal Higdon wrote something about it in a book in the 2003 or so.  Running Times seems to agree, although they said that perhaps they deteriorate a bit more slowly that was suggested in the book. 

I really have no idea but thought that I'd toss it out there.

2015-05-14 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

So... I saw in Jen's log that she is having problems with some older shoes that are not nearly maxed out on mileage.  I also saw that NancySteve gets older model shoes (new but older model) off of eBay. These two situation triggered something that I think that I read a few years ago -- the EVA foam in shoes has a shelf life, not just a mileage life.  Is that true?

OK, I'll Google it and get a head start on the conversation.  Apparently Hal Higdon wrote something about it in a book in the 2003 or so.  Running Times seems to agree, although they said that perhaps they deteriorate a bit more slowly that was suggested in the book. 

First I disagree with the authors "move on and find something better" attitude. Finding a new pair of shoes is a paid in the azz for some of us.

I tend to stock up on faves and have never had the later pairs act any different than the ones I used earlier. However, I don't think I've ever had them sit on the shelf more than a few months. Certainly not two years.

2015-05-14 1:56 PM

User image

Seattle

Ehhhhhhh I would imagine it is true. But I'll bet the shelf life is long enough that it's a non-issue for most people.

Shoe wear/longevity is much more about the individual and how they run. 

2015-05-14 2:20 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Balega Comfort Challenge

Attention Balega fans: Just passing along this opportunity from one of our favorite sock brands.

From May 15 through June 15, post photos illustrating the comfort of Balega socks to Instagram, along with the hashtag #BalegaComfortChallenge for the chance to win a free pair. Balega will be picking one winner per day!

Sa-Weet!!!! I'm in every day until I win. I apologize up front to those that follow me on IG

2015-05-14 2:23 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Ehhhhhhh I would imagine it is true. But I'll bet the shelf life is long enough that it's a non-issue for most people.

I'd bet weight/stress on the shoe plays a part. You mentioned 800 miles on a pair earlier and I thought my nearly 500 was pretty good. I'm betting my 220 lbs+heelstriking = some wear on my shoes.

2015-05-14 2:29 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Balega Comfort Challenge

Sa-Weet!!!! I'm in every day until I win. I apologize up front to those that follow me on IG

Just a small request, please don't post to instagram within the time window of a workout so that it shows up on strava.

2015-05-14 2:41 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Balega Comfort Challenge

Just a small request, please don't post to instagram within the time window of a workout so that it shows up on strava.

I can't promise that, I am a cross posting fool 

2015-05-14 2:55 PM

User image

Seattle

I like to use my social media for different things...cross posting is somewhat rare for me.

FB is more aligned to my family and friends, instagram is more aligned with interests. 

2015-05-14 2:56 PM

User image

Seattle

I'd bet weight/stress on the shoe plays a part. You mentioned 800 miles on a pair earlier and I thought my nearly 500 was pretty good. I'm betting my 220 lbs+heelstriking = some wear on my shoes.

Yep. It plays a huge role. 

2015-05-14 3:00 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I like to use my social media for different things...cross posting is somewhat rare for me.

FB is more aligned to my family and friends, instagram is more aligned with interests. 

I'm the same way. Rarely post about running/tri on FB. Of course, I rarely post anything on FB.

2015-05-14 3:19 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Okay i suppose this is short notice and we may have to wait till next year but THIS is the Manatee meetup in Colorado!!!!!!!!!!

2015-05-14 3:35 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Balega Comfort Challenge

I can't promise that, I am a cross posting fool 

Between Toms and this one there are going to be a lot of feet on IG here pretty soon

2015-05-14 3:41 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

Okay i suppose this is short notice and we may have to wait till next year but THIS is the Manatee meetup in Colorado!!!!!!!!!!

For added incentive, I'll even donate my beer to somebody else.  I can't stand the stuff. (Please don't banish me!)

DH is trying to develop my tolerance for it by occasionally offering me sips of his.  So far, my most rousing endorsement has been, "That's not as awful as I expected."

2015-05-14 3:44 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by rrrunner

For added incentive, I'll even donate my beer to somebody else.  I can't stand the stuff. (Please don't banish me!)

DH is trying to develop my tolerance for it by occasionally offering me sips of his.  So far, my most rousing endorsement has been, "That's not as awful as I expected."

That's funny! DH is that way with coffee... and wine. We're both good with beer

I like Oskar Blues. We went there after the Bolder Boulder the last couple years.

2015-05-14 3:47 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Just got back from an interesting talk by Steve Bosley, the founder and former RD of the Bolder Boulder.  I had no idea that that race was the first to have wave starts and an early proponent of allowing registration roll-overs if you can't do the race. 

He had some pretty funny stories to tell too.  One was about a woman who complained every year for 7 years about people taking nature breaks in her flowers.  Somebody from the race organization went to her house and offered to fence in her flowers to protect them.  She declined, however, after he told her that she had the best looking tulips on the block, and they never heard from her again!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15833 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28865 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12238 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67476 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 56088 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.