General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cold/rain for HIM- clothing??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-10 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: cold/rain for HIM- clothing???
I have my first HIM on Saturday and the weather is calling for a high of 60 with rain. So, about the time I'll be getting on the bike it will be in the upper 40s and possibly raining. I am used to doing tris in the heat and only have to worry about wearing my tri top and shorts, but with 40s and rain?? What do you wear for that so you don't freeze on the bike portion? I think I'll be fine on the run, but I'm just not sure what to do on the bike. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2009-09-10 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2398675

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
Subject: RE: cold/rain for HIM- clothing???
I saw you're also doing the Harvest Moon on Saturday.  I was just thinking the same thing about the weather.  I'm planning on having my arm warmers in T1 and making the decision last minute as to if to put them on. My "arm warmers" are actually just some knee high cotton socks that I cut the toes off of, but the heel area fits my elbow well).  I'm debating if I should wear my tights under my tri shorts (under the wet suit) to help with my legs during the bike... which will also obviously have to still be on for the run (which might make me too hot).

I'm interested to know what others do though.  I've already destroyed the "nothing new" rule, so at this point I'll try anything.
2009-09-10 10:25 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I'd at least consider throwing a biking rain jersy/jacket on, so you can wear it for both bike and run.
Not sure I'd want to mess with tights, but then again I've never raced in 40-degree weather!

2009-09-10 10:38 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
RE: cold/rain for HIM- clothing???

I'd probably wear SOME clothing, but I'm conservative like that...

I wouldn't worry about anything like tights on the bike. Your legs should be fine and there's no real way to ditch them without a full stop someplace you can strip down.

A light rain jacket would be reasonable, maybe arm warmers. I've never ridden with arm warmers. My coldest rides in the winter are in the 40's down here. I usually just wear a long sleeve polypro top (lightweight) and a tri-top under it, so I can take off the polypro when I warm up.

Good luck whatever you decide.
2009-09-10 11:04 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Bring everything and then decide what to do given the actual conditions you face.  Sub-50 and raning is pretty darn chilly.  A rain jacket will help.  And if you do that, you might be able to get away with just arm warmers.  Otherwsie, go with a full-sleeve jersey.  Some waterproof gloves are a near must.  I would also put something on your legs--at least some knee warmers.  And some toe covers for your shoes would be a good idea.  Your T1 may be long, but it's time you will be happy to trade for being carted off the course on the bike.

See this report:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=76693
2009-09-10 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2398835

User image

Elite
Texas
JohnnyKay - 2009-09-10 11:04 AM Bring everything and then decide what to do given the actual conditions you face.  Sub-50 and raning is pretty darn chilly.  A rain jacket will help.  And if you do that, you might be able to get away with just arm warmers.  Otherwsie, go with a full-sleeve jersey.  Some waterproof gloves are a near must.  I would also put something on your legs--at least some knee warmers.  And some toe covers for your shoes would be a good idea.  Your T1 may be long, but it's time you will be happy to trade for being carted off the course on the bike.

See this report:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=76693

Glad I read that. Rain's a big factor.

2009-09-10 11:40 AM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO

I did Rattlesnake in the cold and rain last year and I was one of very few that didn't freeze: leg warmers, windproof jacket, skullcap under helmet, full gloves.  I may even have put baggies in my shoes to keep my toes from freezing.  Wore the same for Harvest Moon last year except for the leg warmers and regretted not wearing them since it was dry but 50s -- my knees were pissed for weeks.

You can save some time by having toe covers on your bike shoes and a helmet cover.  Roll up your leg warmers so they go on wet legs easily.  Make sure your jacket is loose enough to put on when wet.

You're going to be out there for a while so you might as well be comfortable!

eta: I wore the same heavy jacket I wear all winter for riding -- it's loose enough that I had a layer of warm air and my shirt was able to dry out a little on the bike.  That way I could wear my usual race gear for the swim and run.

Edited by skarl 2009-09-10 11:53 AM
2009-09-10 11:54 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Good advice already...

If you tend to get cold you may want to go with leg warmers or they sell this lotion stuff at bike shops road racers use when it it cold sort of a layer to keep your legs warmer you just put on your skin.

I've done an Oly when it was 48 and rained some...it was cold with the wind. I put jacket that is breathable and mostly water proof. I wish I had put on socks as my feet were numb and hurt for days after wards. If it pours and your clothing isn't water proof to some degree is will just be wet and soaked on you.

It may be a good time to invest in one of those cheap plastic bike rain jackets that are less than $20.

Both leg and arm warmers if you put them on and take them off you can fold them back on the first half and they are easier to get on. Bring a small towel as drying off stuff makes it easier to put things on.

I agree bring a lot with you and decide race morning.
2009-09-11 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2398955

User image

Champion
PA
KathyG - 2009-09-10 12:54 PM Good advice already...

If you tend to get cold you may want to go with leg warmers or they sell this lotion stuff at bike shops road racers use when it it cold sort of a layer to keep your legs warmer you just put on your skin.

I've done an Oly when it was 48 and rained some...it was cold with the wind. I put jacket that is breathable and mostly water proof. I wish I had put on socks as my feet were numb and hurt for days after wards. If it pours and your clothing isn't water proof to some degree is will just be wet and soaked on you.

It may be a good time to invest in one of those cheap plastic bike rain jackets that are less than $20.

Both leg and arm warmers if you put them on and take them off you can fold them back on the first half and they are easier to get on. Bring a small towel as drying off stuff makes it easier to put things on.

I agree bring a lot with you and decide race morning.

When I was little, we were poor.  More than once, I saw my mother pull out a garbage bag, cut a hole in the bottom and sides and pull it down over us in order to keep us dry.  Well.. except for the one she put on my brother.  She didn't like him so she would always forget to cut the holes but he still stayed dry once he stopped squirming around so much.

Anyway, that might be easy to keep with the bike in case you needed a fast solution.  It wouldn't be pretty but I would do anything to stay dry and warm.
2009-09-11 6:45 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I would say waterproof bike jersey for bike and run.  Cotton in wet and cold is bad.....

If we are talking realllly cold then you can add gloves or tights.  In the winter 35 F and fluries or rain all I need is wind/waterproof gloves, jacket, tights and maybe a skull cap. 

And have warm dry clothes for yourself at the finish line, your temperature will drop after you stop running. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cold/rain for HIM- clothing??? Rss Feed