Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-07-17 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1529562

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Subject: RE: Tri Bike or Road bike
I pass people on tri bikes, I think you should buy what fits you and what is comfortable with you. You cannot go wrong with a road bike, besides many top triathletes train on the road bike and race on the tri. I have heard that the Tri bike really does not help you unless you average speeds greater than 21mph.

Buy whatever you are most comfortable on, and you can't go wrong.

2008-07-17 9:13 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
You can do what I did: Buy a roadbike, slap on aerobars to be as aero as possible.  Do everything you can to try to copy tri-bike geometry.  Realize you don't like riding with people.  Start contemplating just how much money you can get for your road bike.  Go to bike shops and drool on tri bikes just waiting for the day when you can get one, cursing yourself for not realizing how much you were going to like tri's. 
2008-07-18 4:52 AM
in reply to: #1538514

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Faulty logic all the way around. 

9FAITH - 2008-07-17 7:52 PM I pass people on tri bikes,

This means nothing, other than that you you are possibly a stronger cyclist than the person you're passing. You would pass the same people, maybe even more, on a tri bike. What should matter is whether you are getting the most efficiency out of your engine, and a tri bike has the advantage there. 

I have heard that the Tri bike really does not help you unless you average speeds greater than 21mph.

Aero is aero, whether your're going 16mph or 25mph. In fact, it can be shown that better aerodynamics benefits the slower rider even more, simply by virtue of them being on the course longer.

2008-07-18 5:39 AM
in reply to: #1538688

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NH
Sprint_DA - 2008-07-17 10:13 PM

You can do what I did: Buy a roadbike, slap on aerobars to be as aero as possible. Do everything you can to try to copy tri-bike geometry. Realize you don't like riding with people. Start contemplating just how much money you can get for your road bike. Go to bike shops and drool on tri bikes just waiting for the day when you can get one, cursing yourself for not realizing how much you were going to like tri's.

LOL - It's like you read my mind. Add to that the aggravation of getting passed by a tribike whenever there is a long flat during a race. The Fitwerx people were at the last race I did, I almost signed up for a fitting right after the race. Good thing (?) my wife was there, else I'd be picking up a tribike shortly.

Edited by adamsc2 2008-07-18 5:42 AM
2008-07-18 6:15 AM
in reply to: #1539059

User image

Davenport, IA

adamsc2 - 2008-07-18 5:39 AM
Sprint_DA - 2008-07-17 10:13 PM You can do what I did: Buy a roadbike, slap on aerobars to be as aero as possible. Do everything you can to try to copy tri-bike geometry. Realize you don't like riding with people. Start contemplating just how much money you can get for your road bike. Go to bike shops and drool on tri bikes just waiting for the day when you can get one, cursing yourself for not realizing how much you were going to like tri's.
LOL - It's like you read my mind. Add to that the aggravation of getting passed by a tribike whenever there is a long flat during a race. The Fitwerx people were at the last race I did, I almost signed up for a fitting right after the race. Good thing (?) my wife was there, else I'd be picking up a tribike shortly.

Yeah, I'm dumb enough that I keep going to bike shops to kill time while I'm on the road for work.  It's just going to be a matter of time.  I wish there were professional fitters around here.  They offered a "fit kit" at one of the shops I went to, but I'm worried that that isn't going to be an actual fitting. 

2008-07-18 7:02 AM
in reply to: #1534111

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
5stones - 2008-07-16 1:34 PM

Ok, let me play the devil's advocate a little bit. Why do you want the Tri bike? Becasue everyone else is riding one? Does the geometry really help in the run? No doubt aero is useful, I buy this premise. But I am not sold on the geometry helps in the run. I am really leaning toward road bike w/ aero bars. Someone sell the Tri bike route. I am really not trying to be difficult but I am just not sold on a Tri bike being the end all.

Ok, I will sell the TT Bike.

Currently, I have a road bike. When I went to the LBS, I was looking to pick up a TT bike and bought into the road bike (CAAD 9). I was told that it was great to learn to ride on. Easier to climb, etc., etc., so I bought the CAAD 9 in lieu of the TT. Now, I do not regret it. I learned to ride on those skinny tires, manuver corners, climb, etc.

Everyone else in my "friends group" also has a road bike. When we would go out for a group ride together, I would spank everyone with ease. During races, I would continue to spank everyone. The closes one to me during a race was 10+ minutes (good job Derek).

That being said....

My brother recently went out and bought a new P2 Ultegra, was properly fitted, etc. Now, he can keep up with me on the flats. I can still beat him on the hills but not as much, but on any decent he blows me out of the water. All of this with NO MORE TRAINING than before. The only difference is the bike. The bike, the aero position, the time savings, proves that you can buy speed. Anyone that says a TT bike is not faster than a road bike is crazy IMHO. My margin of victory went from 10+ minutes down to 4:45.

Same course, different bike, his time when from 45 minutes to 39 minutes. Difference, the bike. His run split went from 29 minutes down to 26.

Different course, same distance race, his over-all time shaved from 1:24 to 1:18.

Everyone wants numbers well there they are. Four races, two with a road bike with aero bars, and two on the P2. More-or-less, same training, but a completely different result.

(sorry for posting your stats Derek, but the truth about speed has to be told)

2008-07-18 7:07 AM
in reply to: #1538514

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
9FAITH - 2008-07-17 8:52 PM

I pass people on tri bikes

So do I, but the point is that TT bike are faster.

9FAITH - 2008-07-17 8:52 PM
I have heard that the Tri bike really does not help you unless you average speeds greater than 21mph.

Not true.

The P2 rider I spoke about above went from an avg of 17.5-17.8 to 19.5.
2008-07-18 7:09 AM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL

Sprint_DA - 2008-07-17 10:13 PM You can do what I did: Buy a roadbike, slap on aerobars to be as aero as possible. Do everything you can to try to copy tri-bike geometry. Realize you don't like riding with people. Start contemplating just how much money you can get for your road bike. Go to bike shops and drool on tri bikes just waiting for the day when you can get one, cursing yourself for not realizing how much you were going to like tri's.

Ha! This is exactly what happened to me.  But, On Monday I am selling my road and tuesday picking up my brand spaking new Tri Bike!  Luckily for me, my LBS let me put my bike on Layaway and make payments til I was done..they bought it for me and held on to it.  But, i will be paid off on Monday! Find out if your bike shop will do that for you. (I don't use credit, so that wasn't an option)

2008-07-18 7:21 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

This is a good article that discusses the positional advantages of one over the other.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/Positional_problems_436.html

As stated in the article, a tri bike will make a huge difference IF you do your riding in the aero bars and are properly fit.  If you're not going to take advantage of the aero benefit, just go with a road bike because it'll be more comfortable.

I went straight to a Tri bike, and have never regretted it.  If your primary sport is going to be triathlon, it's a no brainer.

2008-07-18 10:04 AM

User image

are there more drafting legal races or
more races that ban drafting nowaday ?

Do u think for a drafting allowed race,
a tri bike has less advantage value compared ?

And then a road bike will do just fine ? 

Also for a tri bike, small wheel size or standard wheel size is more popular  ?

2008-07-18 1:52 PM

User image

Easton

Thank you all for the discussion.  Bought an Orbea Onix TDF today with two seat post and a set of aero bars.  I'll get the best of both while I learn the sport.

Great racing 

2008-07-19 9:57 AM

User image

Tyler,

Sprint_DA - 2008-07-17 9:13 PM You can do what I did: Buy a roadbike, slap on aerobars to be as aero as possible.  Do everything you can to try to copy tri-bike geometry.  Realize you don't like riding with people.  Start contemplating just how much money you can get for your road bike.  Go to bike shops and drool on tri bikes just waiting for the day when you can get one, cursing yourself for not realizing how much you were going to like tri's. 

I know right. Been doing tri's almost a year.

2008-07-19 10:34 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

It really depends on your goals.

I bought an older road bike (about $300) I didn't know anything at the time, but I knew I wanted a road bike.  I rode that bike for 4 years and put quite a few miles on it.

At that point, I'd gotten into doing longer rides (50 miles and up) and wanted a nicer bike to ride.  I decided to get a new road bike, because of what I really enjoy and what I wanted to use the bike for (group riding/centuries/triathlon).

At that point in time I only had the $$ for one bike.  I've been really happy with my decision to get a road bike - yeah, I'd like a tri-bike as well, but I wanted an all-purpose bike that would work for anything, not just triathlon. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike or Road bike Rss Feed  

of 2