General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-02-26 9:35 AM
in reply to: #1235753

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: RE: Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches?
SunnyS - 2008-02-26 8:27 AM

No animosity here, nor did I feel any reading the prior thread as a part-time trainer and dabbler in coaching.   I think most of us are too resourceful and too cheap (or "financially prudent" to put more money into our already pricey little hobby of triathlons. 

I saw no one saying that coaches rip people off or that most coaches are bogus.  Everyone just has different priorities. 

x200

Nobody in the other thread said anything bad about coaches, just that they were a luxury most don't need and can't afford.   Coaches are definitely a luxury for a recreational athletes.   If you have the cash, why not.  If you don't, you'll get by just fine. 

2008-02-26 9:37 AM
in reply to: #1235602

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think there is a lot of snobbery as to why some people don't "deserve" a coach. If you are a new triathlete, or are a back of the packer, or slow, or not an age group competitor, those who are more competitive just don't see why we would spend our hard earned dollars on a coach.

My reasons for hiring my excellent coach as soon as I started triathlons, this is her website, www.barbarasessa.com, were because I had no triathlon experience, books were not specific to my situation, I am older and overweight, I didn't want to get injured, and I wanted to finish. And I did - she took me from doing nothing, with an injured leg in March of 2007 to finishing an Olympic distance in September 2007. I was slow, sure, but I finished and I didn't have to be taken off the course in an ambulance, thank God.

I also think that some people need coaches because their tendency is to overtrain - if some is good, then more is better. Coaches keep you from hurting yourself with your own ambition, plus help you reach realistic goals.
2008-02-26 9:38 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
This is my feeling about why "middle-aged recreational triathletes feel the need to have a coach". I say I resemble that remark. But, before I went with my coach, I coached myself for 3 years. Not to blow my own horn, but I think I was a great coach to me. My times got faster, I improved my endurance and started getting competitive in my age group in sprints and olys. But then I wanted to do an HIM. I had no idea how to balance all three sports without killing myself while I was increasing duration. I read a lot of books and am a disciple of Joe Friel's tri bible. But generic plans seemed low compared to what I was already doing for shorter distances and I tend to have "fragile" legs when it comes to upping running time. So a fellow BTer put me in touch with her coach (a triathlete local to my area who has raced every distance tri and even made it to Kona in 2002) and I'm currently going on month 6 with her. I guess I like to have "my hand held". She gives me encouragement, tough love and workouts that will push me out of my comfort zone. Something I was too afraid (or lazy) to do on my own. Her rates are very reasonable.

The original thread was about a guy doing sprints. IMO, you don't NEED a coach for that. You can manage those with consistent training and have lots of fun and not too much pain. But if the OP struggles with consistency, a coach is great. What better incentive to SUAT than knowing you plunked down a monthly fee for workouts that you had better go out there and do unless you're a fan of wasting your hard-earned dollars.

Pam
2008-02-26 9:42 AM
in reply to: #1235725

User image

Extreme Veteran
run4yrlif - 2008-02-26 9:21 AM

Rocket Man - 2008-02-26 10:09 AM ...my purpose for starting this thread was to find out why people feel as they do about coaching.

People have different views because everyone has different goals in this sport. Obviously, if you can't afford a coach you're not gonna get a coach. But let's say you can. if your goals are to have fun, be fit and complete shorter races, why would you *need* a coach? If you're a novice and you just want to get better (maybe not be the best you can be, just improve), why get a coach (given the resources on this site)?

On the other hand, if you're type A and want to be the best you can be, or if you're good but want to be competitive, or if you want to complete a longer-distance race, but have no idea how to go about it...those people are going to have different opinions about the necessities of coaches.

Bottom line: some people are DIYers, others want their hand held.

Your reply is what I meant by the "elitism" of believing others shouldn't have coaches. Just because one is a novice, and not competitive, a coach might be helpful anyway. I think the resources on this site are somewhat overwhelming and confusing. And when you ask a technical question, you get 12 different opinions on everything. I have a coach to help me set realistic goals, achieve them, and not get hurt, even if I am a slow novice.
2008-02-26 9:47 AM
in reply to: #1235636

User image

Champion
Butler
SuzanneS - 2008-02-26 8:49 AM

NavyTRIChief - 2008-02-26 9:40 AM  owner of a new truck, paing on a BMW (wife's taste is more expensive then mine!) etc. etc. my priority is to pay the "have to" bills

Good point, but I'm not sure a new truck and a BMW is a "have to" bill. I think of have to bills as groceries, gas, electricity, and water...

Just sayin'

True but once you have the care they become "have to" bills or the cars go away and credit gets screwed up.

To the original question.  I don't have animosity towards coach I personally don't know why some people would have them.  I understand people trying to place or KQ or something but for most people there is alot of information available to use.  Know I also know I come from a background of playing sports and training most of my young life (even though I slacked for a few years) so I know a few things and did not need to pay a coach at the beginning.  Not everyone is like that and there are people that literally sat on a couch from birth to 50yr old and never trained for anything.  Well they might need help.  I don't understand paying $300 a month when you can get it for under $100.  If you have the $ and need the motivation go for it, it is your money.

2008-02-26 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1235795

User image

Giver

nancylee - 2008-02-26 10:42 AM Your reply is what I meant by the "elitism" of believing others shouldn't have coaches. Just because one is a novice, and not competitive, a coach might be helpful anyway. I think the resources on this site are somewhat overwhelming and confusing. And when you ask a technical question, you get 12 different opinions on everything. I have a coach to help me set realistic goals, achieve them, and not get hurt, even if I am a slow novice.

I didn't say anything about "shouldn't."

If you want a coach and can afford it, then by all means go for it. I gave some pretty specific examples, based on the OP of the other thread. If you're a novice and simply want to get better, you don't *need* a coach. All you *need* to do is train consistently, and you can do that just fine on your own (again, especially given the resources on this site).

2008-02-26 10:04 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

I feel the same way about coaching as I do about $5K bikes or $2K wheelsets. No one "needs" any of that. But if your goals and finances are such that the marginal benefit derived is greater than the marginal cost, then by all means go for it.

2008-02-26 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1235823

User image

Extreme Veteran
run4yrlif - 2008-02-26 9:53 AM

nancylee - 2008-02-26 10:42 AM Your reply is what I meant by the "elitism" of believing others shouldn't have coaches. Just because one is a novice, and not competitive, a coach might be helpful anyway. I think the resources on this site are somewhat overwhelming and confusing. And when you ask a technical question, you get 12 different opinions on everything. I have a coach to help me set realistic goals, achieve them, and not get hurt, even if I am a slow novice.

I didn't say anything about "shouldn't."

If you want a coach and can afford it, then by all means go for it. I gave some pretty specific examples, based on the OP of the other thread. If you're a novice and simply want to get better, you don't *need* a coach. All you *need* to do is train consistently, and you can do that just fine on your own (again, especially given the resources on this site).

You made my point for me. You do NOT know what I need, as a novice who wants to get better. YOU may not need a coach, but for me, with my time limitations, and my other commitments, and my age and health, I needed a coach. I don't have time to plow through thousands of articles on this site, or to figure out whose advice, out of the 12 different opinions given every time I asked a question, I would listen to. I found a coach who got me to the finish line of 3 triathlons safely and in good health, while I saw lots of people lying on the side of the road, or getting carted off in an ambulance. I thought, there but for the grace of God go I, without my coach's advice on nutrition and hydration on race day in the heat.

That you think you can know what a novice "needs" is a pretty broad claim.
2008-02-26 10:06 AM

User image

Runner

Considering no one needs to even do a triathlon, then you don't really need a coach.

It is a luxury. 

2008-02-26 10:09 AM
in reply to: #1235852

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scout7 - 2008-02-26 10:06 AM

Considering no one needs to even do a triathlon, then you don't really need a coach.

It is a luxury.

I agree - but since I choose to indulge in this luxury, rather than expensive clothes, or gambling vacations, I feel I (not everyone) need a coach. To say what someone needs or doesn't need is something I am not comfortable doing.
2008-02-26 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1235849

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

nancylee - 2008-02-26 10:04 AM  I found a coach who got me to the finish line of 3 triathlons safely and in good health, while I saw lots of people lying on the side of the road, or getting carted off in an ambulance. I thought, there but for the grace of God go I, without my coach's advice on nutrition and hydration on race day in the heat. That you think you can know what a novice "needs" is a pretty broad claim.

Sheesh, what kind of triathlons are you doing? I've done dozens of races and never seen " lots of people lying on the side of the road, or getting carted off in an ambulance." One or two maybe...

Again, plenty of info "on nutrition and hydration on race day in the heat" available in the literature. The vast majority of people wouldn't "need" a coach to prepare.

Edited by the bear 2008-02-26 10:11 AM

2008-02-26 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
I think the confusing part to me is the people who "wont spend $100-$300 a month for a coach", yet, a lot have no problem dropping lots on a new bike (or even second or third bike), another couple thousand on a set of wheels, maybe a power meter, and all this great gear. Divide all that up over 12 months and then tell me how much you just spent "per month" on something that is just a "hobby"

I admit, I broke this year and spent $100 a month for someone to help me with my plan. Its taken alot of my shoulders, to train for the IM I felt I was out of my realm of knowledge and while there was defenitely alot of info out there for me to complete the IM, there was so much conflicting info to. I decided to forego new wheels, upgrades, new gear, some other recreational money I would spend per month, and put my money into trying a coach. Im not sure if I had put that money into new gear that it would have helped me improve.

BUT, that being said, if I just plain old didnt have a extra $100 to come up with per month, I would NOT have done it. I would have done the best with the info I had. Its never worth putting your family under if your not trying to make a living at this sport. For me it was a matter of reallocating resources

2008-02-26 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1235882

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

kellc09 - 2008-02-26 10:16 AM I think the confusing part to me is the people who "wont spend $100-$300 a month for a coach", yet, a lot have no problem dropping lots on a new bike (or even second or third bike), another couple thousand on a set of wheels, maybe a power meter, and all this great gear.

Again, it's marginal benefit versus marginal cost. The people you describe derive more benefit per dollar by purchasing their equipment. Does it help them more than coaching? Possibly. But it adds more to their enjoyment of the sport.

Divide all that up over 12 months and then tell me how much you just spent "per month" on something that is just a "hobby"

Bikes, wheels and most of the equipment lasts longer than a year. Try dividing it by 60 months to get a more realistic analysis. And don't forget re-sale value. Resale value on used coaching isn't very much.

2008-02-26 10:28 AM

User image

Veteran
why is it that when people think of coaches the think 200-300 bucks? there are some amazing coaches out there that are under 150 bucks!

Marc Becker of Ironguides - amazing coach, worked with Brett Sutton for a while
Mike Plumb
Jim B..(out of WI)
any many more
2008-02-26 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1235905

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
the bear - 2008-02-26 10:25 AM

kellc09 - 2008-02-26 10:16 AM I think the confusing part to me is the people who "wont spend $100-$300 a month for a coach", yet, a lot have no problem dropping lots on a new bike (or even second or third bike), another couple thousand on a set of wheels, maybe a power meter, and all this great gear.

Again, it's marginal benefit versus marginal cost. The people you describe derive more benefit per dollar by purchasing their equipment. Does it help them more than coaching? Possibly. But it adds more to their enjoyment of the sport.

Divide all that up over 12 months and then tell me how much you just spent "per month" on something that is just a "hobby"

Bikes, wheels and most of the equipment lasts longer than a year. Try dividing it by 60 months to get a more realistic analysis. And don't forget re-sale value. Resale value on used coaching isn't very much.

Your right, that maybe the items "last longer" than a coach does, I guess it all depends on what your in the sport for, to have a little fun, or to put some work in and get better.

(assuming were talking about a limited budget) If someone likes to buy things to add to the enjoyment of the sport instead of the enjoyment of getting better at their sport, I have no problems with that, to each their own..
2008-02-26 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1235849

User image

Giver

nancylee - 2008-02-26 11:04 AMYou made my point for me. You do NOT know what I need, as a novice who wants to get better. YOU may not need a coach, but for me, with my time limitations, and my other commitments, and my age and health, I needed a coach. I don't have time to plow through thousands of articles on this site, or to figure out whose advice, out of the 12 different opinions given every time I asked a question, I would listen to. I found a coach who got me to the finish line of 3 triathlons safely and in good health, while I saw lots of people lying on the side of the road, or getting carted off in an ambulance. I thought, there but for the grace of God go I, without my coach's advice on nutrition and hydration on race day in the heat. That you think you can know what a novice "needs" is a pretty broad claim.

OK...I qualify my statement and say *generally speaking*, all a novice needs to improve is to train consistently. But, like you say, there are special circumstances.

2008-02-26 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1235927

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

kellc09 - 2008-02-26 10:37 AM  Your right, that maybe the items "last longer" than a coach does, I guess it all depends on what your in the sport for, to have a little fun, or to put some work in and get better.

Some of us have fun and "put some work in and get better," they're not mutually exclusive. And you don't have to have coaching or the best equipment to do both.

2008-02-26 10:49 AM

User image

Runner

Some people like to make it way too complicated.

You either are interested in a coach and the services he or she can provide, or you aren't.  Pretty simple.

Like Jim said, some people are DIYers, and some aren't.  I like to do things on my own.  That's all.  Some people will NEVER be interested in a coach.  They don't see a benefit of it. 

2008-02-26 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1235959

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
the bear - 2008-02-26 10:48 AM

kellc09 - 2008-02-26 10:37 AM  Your right, that maybe the items "last longer" than a coach does, I guess it all depends on what your in the sport for, to have a little fun, or to put some work in and get better.

Some of us have fun and "put some work in and get better," they're not mutually exclusive. And you don't have to have coaching or the best equipment to do both.

x2.  I have to say a lot of the fun of this journey for me is learning a lot on my own about the sport, how to train, etc.  My learning curve might have been shorter with a coach, but I feel that the experiences in doing things right and wrong (again, for me) are what keeps it fun.  It is ok to see humor in bonks and using pull buoys wrong if yer laughing at yourself.  AND I have been getting better while having fun.

2008-02-26 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Upstate, SC
I responded no in the original thread, but it was not because of animosity towards coaches. The OP was obviously very green in the sport and didn't seem to be aspiring to greatness. Is a coach worth it? This question is very relative. I plan on hiring a coach next year as I prepare for my first IM. This year, I don't feel a coach would be that much of a benefit to me. I view coaches like I do supplements. If you've got the disposable income, go for it - if you don't have the disposable income, skip it.
2008-02-26 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1235866

User image

Extreme Veteran
the bear - 2008-02-26 10:10 AM

nancylee - 2008-02-26 10:04 AM I found a coach who got me to the finish line of 3 triathlons safely and in good health, while I saw lots of people lying on the side of the road, or getting carted off in an ambulance. I thought, there but for the grace of God go I, without my coach's advice on nutrition and hydration on race day in the heat. That you think you can know what a novice "needs" is a pretty broad claim.

Sheesh, what kind of triathlons are you doing? I've done dozens of races and never seen " lots of people lying on the side of the road, or getting carted off in an ambulance." One or two maybe...

Again, plenty of info "on nutrition and hydration on race day in the heat" available in the literature. The vast majority of people wouldn't "need" a coach to prepare.

The Pine Bush tri - two people needed ambulances. The West Point tri - one guy down on the side of the running path. The Lake George Tri - a couple of people needed help from medical personnel. And my point is that, no, I don't have time to plow through the literature to discern what is the best nutrition and hydration plan for me, and everyone here has a different opinion. I am not saying you need a coach. I am saying I need a coach, which you really can't refute. There is no one size fits all, like many here are claiming with statements like, "No sprint newbie or MOPer, or BOPer needs a coach." That is pure elitism.

2008-02-26 11:01 AM
in reply to: #1235984

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westlake, OH
nancylee - 2008-02-26 11:56 AM

the bear - 2008-02-26 10:10 AM

nancylee - 2008-02-26 10:04 AM I found a coach who got me to the finish line of 3 triathlons safely and in good health, while I saw lots of people lying on the side of the road, or getting carted off in an ambulance. I thought, there but for the grace of God go I, without my coach's advice on nutrition and hydration on race day in the heat. That you think you can know what a novice "needs" is a pretty broad claim.

The Pine Bush tri - two people needed ambulances. The West Point tri - one guy down on the side of the running path. The Lake George Tri - a couple of people needed help from medical personnel. And my point is that, no, I don't have time to plow through the literature to discern what is the best nutrition and hydration plan for me, and everyone here has a different opinion. I am not saying you need a coach. I am saying I need a coach, which you really can't refute. There is no one size fits all, like many here are claiming with statements like, "No sprint newbie or MOPer, or BOPer needs a coach." That is pure elitism.

So its your contention, without a coach, you would have what? Died, been taken to a hospital, not finished your TRIs? Would one of the above had happen without a coach and simply following one of the free(which there are about 3~4, not thousands) couch to sprint plans?

Also - how do you know that the poor folks being carted off didn't have coaches themselves? Are the coachless made to wear special bibs so that the medical staff can be alerted?

2008-02-26 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1235984

User image

Giver

nancylee - 2008-02-26 11:56 AM There is no one size fits all, like many here are claiming with statements like, "No sprint newbie or MOPer, or BOPer needs a coach." That is pure elitism.

Who are the "many here" that are saying what you quoted?

2008-02-26 11:06 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

I personally am not against coaches but have found more than a few of the folks who are coaches here on BT to be, well, less than friendly. (There are one or two exceptions)

Granted, I am a bit of a rule breaker when it comes to the way that I train, but I quickly grew tired of getting bagged on by the professionals here. I don't post much in the tri forum any more and even less so in the Ironman Forum simply because this is where they tend to post the most.

Life is just too short and I would rather focus on my training.

I have more than a few folks that I have come to know and trust both online and IRL who are more way experienced than me; and when I need advice about training, I ask them. All are more than willing to help and give of their time for fun and for free.

Given my goals, there will come a time when I will probably find myself wanting/needing a coach. I think I know where to look and it probably won't be here.

Sorry if this offends you, but you asked the question. No response is necessary.

Note to the Moderator: This is not an indictment of the BT Community or the Management Staff. I have found this to be a very cool place and truely appreciate everyone who makes BT Possible.

2008-02-26 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1235662

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
PennState - 2008-02-26 9:59 AM

Yeah, get over it. There is no real animosity against coaches. I am a physician, and there are far more people who are 'anti-physicain' than anti-coach... it's just life. People are entitled to their opinions, even when they aren't the same as yours

Take it all less seriously... you'll live longer

Damn know it all Doctors! Just kidding. If I ever decide to get really competitive with this (i.e. have more time to devote) I'll get a coach as I believe it would be easier to use someone's knowledge than it would be for me to gain it myself.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches? Rss Feed  

of 6