General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMAZ Nov 08 'Official" Training-Discussion Blog till 11-23... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-03-09 8:09 AM
in reply to: #1261030

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Subject: RE: IMAZ Nov 08 'Official" Training-Discussion Blog till 11-23...

Ray,

The swim is in Town Lake; of all the IM swims this one is in the most controlled environment - I don't believe there is any current (maybe someone who has swam there can give a better decription).    As far as the bike - invest is the most expensive bike shorts you can find, over time you will "adjust"...

2008-03-09 6:11 PM
in reply to: #1261030

User image

Regular
Mill Valley
Ray,

There's no current in Tempe Town Lake. It's an artificial lake in part of the normally dry Salt River bed and is bounded on both sides by dams. Only time there's current is if SRP releases water from upstream reservoirs during periods of high rainfall - not very often. The water is usually a bit murky and chilly (<70*).

More info here: Tempe Town Lake Facts
2008-03-10 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1237546

User image

Regular
Warwick, RI

Can't wait! this will be my first IM. Started on base training already only about 6hrs/week, I'm heading out at the end of April to visit family and check out the course.

I was looking up info on Tempe Town Lake and found this lovely morsel of info:http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1212az-townwater12-on.html                               

at least the swim is the shortest event Foot in mouth

-Dave

2008-03-10 5:10 PM
in reply to: #1257739

Champion
No excuses!
JeepFleeb - 2008-03-06 9:40 PM

IMGary - 2008-03-06 4:49 PM
Can't believe someone would sign up for two IM's in one year, never having done one yet. Is he sick or what?

Ha!  I signed up for my first two in the same season.

The third one that year was more of a surprise race.

So whats the plan this year, Arizona, Kona, Arizona Undecided

2008-03-12 9:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Ironman Arizona via Surf City, USA

I'm chiming in as my hubby and I get ready for a road trip on 4/13.. I plan on being at the on site sign-up on 4/14 at 7AM, to sign up for IM AZ 11/09..  I too am excited and have read everyone's postings so far..  I will be droppping in to be nosey as I begin my training this year after Thanksgiving.   Last year was my first HIM, doing Vineman and swearing I would never do an IM..  Didn't have the time to train, won't get enough sleep, i'm too old, (48) yada yada yada...

I decided to do this after watching the recent IM Kona Championships on TV a couple of weeks ago.. The people they highlighted throughout the 90 minute program, gave me the inspiration to get off my butt and sign up.  I figure that if a double below-the-knee amputee can finish in 16:42, I can..  If a guy who weighted at LEAST 300 pounds can finish in 16:44, I can..  If a 65 year old woman with arthritis in both knees can finish in 15: 55,  I can.  If a blind great-grandfather of three can finish in 14:49, I surely can.. 

So, I will...

Good luck to everyone entered in either race this year.. 

Lori....   "Stay Hard"   Mack Bolan..

2008-03-12 10:17 PM
in reply to: #1263888

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-03-13 9:04 PM
in reply to: #1268755

Veteran
Mississippi
TriBabe2006 - 2008-03-12 9:55 PM

Lori....   "Stay Hard"   Mack Bolan..

Lori- Good for you! You will finish it and you will have a great race. Keep those inspiring people in mind and this blog will help keep you motivated!
It's gonna be a great event and we'll have to hear from those doing it in April about the course and all.
Becky
2008-03-14 12:38 AM

Rancho Mirage, CA
HELLO TEAM!!!

Okay....so I have sooooo many comments so I will make them short. Nov. IMAZ WILL BE my first IM finish!! Am I doing okay so far??? lol So it has been my 3 yr goal......

Year one (06):
Mostly running events.....only 1 Int'l tri....multiple 5k's & 10k's...(4) 1/2 mary's...& 1 FULL Mary

Year two (07):
(2) 1/2 mary's....1 FULL Mary.....(4) sprint tri's......(3) Int'l tri's and (3) 1/2 Ironman

Year three (08):
Palm Springs 1/2 Mary Feb 17th... Finish time - 1:40
Oceanside, CA 70.3 March 29th
Toyota Desert Int'l tri April 20th
Rock-n-Roll Marathon June 1st
Vineman 70.3 July 20th
Solana Beach Sprint Tri July 27th
IRONMAN ARIZONA NOVEMBER 23rd!!

I'm soooo scared, excited, pumped, nervous...hell....I feel every way YOU feel!! lol

I hope to use you guys to keep me focused and excited amidst all the training. Although I have never done IMAZ, I did race the SOMA 1/2 IM which is the same course...well....half of it. So if I can answer anything, I'm here to help.

--Jeremiah

ps....As far as the post earlier about someone doing 2 IM in one year.....check this site out....this is one of the guys I train with out here in the Palm Springs desert area......let me just say....3 1/2 IM....AND 6 FULL IM ALL IN ONLY 8 MONTHS!!!!!

www.stjudeheroes.org/goto/joecook

2008-03-14 7:58 AM
in reply to: #1268789

Master
Colorado
JeepFleeb - 2008-03-12 11:17 PM
Shermbelle - 2008-03-10 5:10 PM

Can't believe someone would sign up for two IM's in one year, never having done one yet. Is he sick or what?

For now it's Arizona - Arizona.  Add Kona once I earn my slot and we'll see if I can talk my coach into letting me do Arizona again 6 weeks later.

Aaron, whether you're racing or not, I need you in Tempe in November! If you're NOT racing, of course I expect Shiner to come too

2008-03-15 7:07 PM
in reply to: #1271374

Veteran
Mississippi
Hey Jeremiah,
Awesome to have you on here. Your tri history sounds really good. You have probably noticed how you have improved each year. My third year really showed a huge jump in how much better, faster I was becoming and it was my 5th year that I did my first full IM (FLA in 2006). It is such an exciting, tiring, crazy ride. But, I promise, I will help keep you focused and positive on your road to becoming an Ironman. This was a great group when I was getting ready for Fl and reading everyones posts.

Keep your eye on the ultimate goal and be smart in your races this year. If you start feeling worn down and it is impacting your IM training, then let one of the other tri's go and keep your body whole and healthy. There are lots of more expert triathletes out there and I know they will be able to give you good advise.
You live in a beutiful part of the country, so your training should be in wonderful conditions.
(BTW-what's the MISSISSIPPIKID connection?)
TG
2008-03-15 7:22 PM
in reply to: #1268789

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
JeepFleeb - 2008-03-12 10:17 PM

Shermbelle - 2008-03-10 5:10 PM

For now it's Arizona - Arizona.  Add Kona once I earn my slot and we'll see if I can talk my coach into letting me do Arizona again 6 weeks later.

Dude, you need to earn that slot and you still have work to do, my friend.

YOU ARE NOT A JEDI..YET.

Edited by bryancd 2008-03-15 7:23 PM

2008-03-18 2:40 PM

Expert
Finally pulled the trigger and got my lodging for November. Hotels are already starting to sell out, so if you haven't already, you might want to think about hotel reservations.
2008-03-18 9:36 PM

Rancho Mirage, CA
This should sum it up if anyone is interested in my story..........this is what I sent to the Kona Lottery people...........

I am simply a local triathlete that is trying to make a difference in the world while honoring my father’s last words to me and, “Go for it”!! If privileged to run down Alii Dr., I will bring motivation to many and honor to my family.

I moved to California three years ago from Biloxi, Mississippi where I grew up and have lived and worked for most of my life. I come from an incredibly large family with my dad being 1 of 13 brothers and sisters. My name is Jeremiah Joseph O’Keefe, V. Yes the fifth! Our family is a cornerstone to the history and makeup of the Mississippi Gulf Coast region. When I moved to CA, I was 35lbs. heavier than I am now, completely out of shape and could not run 1 single mile on the treadmill. I started with a 5k, then 10k, ½ marathon, bought a bike, then swimming lessons, and finally on April 23rd, 2006, I completed my first triathlon and the rest is history……..

The past 3 years I have watched the NBC broadcast of the Ironman World Championships in Kona with my uncle, Dr. Brian Bennett of San Diego. With all the different storylines and truly inspirational athletes in the race, there is one that touches us the most; the life of Jon Blais. It is not only his life, but his passion for becoming an Ironman on the world’s largest stage. His courage, heart, and motivation mean so much to us because my uncle was diagnosed with ALS two years ago. The same year I completed my first sprint triathlon. As his disease rapidly progresses, my passion to do my part and try and make a difference progresses as well. Brian is not just “some uncle”. He is the uncle that EVERY nephew wants. He is the husband that every woman dreams of and that his wife is so lucky to have. He is the father that his two daughters are thrilled to have and to be able to call their dad. His love and support has meant so much more to me, more than I could ever express in this note.

My uncle has dedicated his ENTIRE life to education and is a VERY well known and visible person in both the San Diego community and in the State of California. He has touched so many in so many different ways. He has touched some by setting up charter schools in their cities and some by teaching future attorneys at Pepperdine University. Since his diagnosis of ALS, I have felt hollow inside and continually feel as if there is so much more I can do. For quite some time I have been bouncing the idea around of joining up with the Blazeman organization while on my journey to completing my first Ironman race. To be completely honest, only one thing has kept me from doing it before now, I have been too scared to commit…….well...….until December.

My father, Jeremiah “Jody” O’Keefe, IV, has had a tremendous amount of sympathy for Brian since his diagnosis. He continuously encourages me to drive down to San Diego on the weekends and spend time with my uncle Brian. My dad has always been so supportive of others. It is only a snapshot of what he has done his entire life. He served in the Mississippi State House of Representative for 2 terms only so that he could speak for those who felt they could not be heard. He was President of our family’s O’Keefe Charitable Foundation and spearheaded the creation of the New Hope Center where we facilitate to children with special needs. He has always tried to motivate others to stand up, be heard, and make a difference! Through me sending my dad articles and video clips of Jon Blais and his remarkable accomplishments and the Blazeman organization and the difference they are making in the world, he finally understood what the Ironman was all about. He understood it is not just “some race”. He understood the honor that comes with calling yourself an Ironman and more importantly he understands that lives change and people can be motivated and inspired to do things they never thought they could do.

On December 2nd, only 2 months ago, I was having a late night conversation with my father through text messaging and once again the topic was me attempting the Ironman to support my uncle while racing with the Blazeman organization. After watching a youtube video clip, he texted me one simple text, “Go for it!” The next morning, on December the 3rd, I registered for the 2008 Ironman Arizona in November. Filled with excitement and fear, I couldn’t wait to tell my dad. Unfortunately, before I could talk to him that day, the day I registered, and tell him that I took the first step in order to “Go for it”, before I had a chance to share the excitement I had, he had a sudden heart attack and didn’t make it.

My dad died December 3rd, and everyday since then I have opened my cell phone to read the words, “Go for it”. The last words between me and my father will always be him telling me to go for it, go for becoming an Ironman.

I am committed to racing Arizona in November. There is nothing that will stand in my way of honoring my dad’s last words, motivating my uncle Brian to keep fighting, and bringing awareness about ALS to the masses…..NOTHING! I have been in contact with the parents of Jon Blais and the Blazeman Foundation for ALS. We have come together and we are excited about what is to come! We are excited about what we can do together! We are excited about making a difference!

I understand the lifetime of dedication, commitment and years of focus that athletes take in order to sharpen their talents in order to earn the opportunity to run down Alii Drive. I will NEVER minimize their efforts, or ability. I know some of these athletes very well and they have become dear friends of mine. With that being said, I also know and understand the powerful impact that someone like me, just an ordinary “Joe”, can have on millions if placed on the right stage. So now I turn to you, the selection committee. I turn to you as I wipe the tears from my face. I ask you to allow me the opportunity to honor my dad’s last words to me, not in Arizona, but on the grandest stage among the grandest athletes with millions watching. I ask you to allow me the opportunity to fight for my uncle as he continues to get weaker from ALS, to show him that he can still fight. I ask you to allow me the opportunity to add to the incredible and courageous legacy that Jon Blais left behind and support the Blazeman Foundation. I can make a difference! Finally, I ask you to allow others to “Be Touched, Be Inspired, Be Motivated” by me becoming an IRONMAN!!!

Sincerely,
Jeremiah J. O’Keefe, V

Edited by MississippiKID 2008-03-18 9:40 PM
2008-03-21 12:35 AM
in reply to: #1279561

Castle Pines North, CO

Dear Jeremiah,

A couple of things.  Your Dad did and does know what you are doing I am confident.  Let that be a comfort and a strength, you will need it,  we all will.  I commend you for your efforts and will be honored to be in an event with you.  If you get a chance e-mail me I have some personal thoughts on my own journey that I think are strangely similar to yours.  Your letter is very well written and not only thought provoking but also inspiring.  There is nothing better than being a part of something larger than yourself.

Ray

[email protected]

I hope to hear from you

2008-03-21 4:48 PM

Veteran
Mississippi
Question about suppliments. And I am talking about over the counter ones. I take Glucosemine for my joints. Works for me. I have noticed that my recovery time is longer and longer- most likely due to ageing. So, anyone got any suggestions for over the counter suppliments that help with recovery that are geared toward endurance training athletes. I have read all the advertisements from the nutrition stores and from companies like Hammer but would like to hear from people who have tried things and what really works.
Everyone have a safe and happy Easter weekend! We have beautiful outside training weather in Mississippi.
2008-03-23 9:21 PM

Veteran
Vancouver, WA
Twocougz here checking the great stories on this thread.

This, too, will be my first IM distance. I can't wait to "earn the ink" as well. I have been doing tris for the last 4 years. I caught the "bug" in 2004.

The first triathlon I actually saw live was Kona 2004. I worked the medical tent and was amazed by the will and determination of the age groupers. I remember an older guy (65+) who had just made the bike cutoff time. We were in T2 together and I was chatting with him while he got ready for the run. He kept asking me the time. I told him it was 5:50. He said, "I had better go then, 'cause I can walk this fricking marathon in 6 hours if I have to.
His comments really motivated me. I remember thinking to myself, "What is wrong with me? Why can't I do that?"

I have raced these past three years with a new found excitement and commitment to specific goals. Last year, I did my first half IM with a co worker of mine. (He went from non swimmer who breast stroked his first triathlon sprint to a half IM finisher).
2008 is my turning 40 year. Call it a mid life crisis if you want, but I anxiously await seeing you at the finish line in November.

My answer to my own question will hopefully be, "There is nothing wrong with me and I can do that!" I am now Committed to that Journey.

God bless and safe training. See you along the way.

Twocougz

2008-03-23 10:08 PM
in reply to: #1286220

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-01 8:59 PM

Veteran
Windermere, FL
Hi all! This is my first post on the forum. I am signed up for IM AZ in November and am excited and very nervous! This will be my first full IM. I have completely IM 70.3 here in Orlando last May and am competing again in 6 weeks.

I'm most nervous about the swim. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Theresa
2008-04-02 3:45 AM

Hello everyone. My first post too! I'm signed up for IMAZ Nov. and can't wait! I'm doing mostly oly's right now with a HIM in September then IMAZ will be my first full IM. (Although my training is geared towards the long disance). Good luck to all with training, I'm looking forward to the November "meet up" thread.
2008-04-03 8:48 PM

Champion
No excuses!

what is up peeps. I signed up for CDA through the community fund but due to being the best man in my friends wedding and other crap I switched to Arizona in Nov.

I hope to get to know alot of you as we embark on this journey together. Best of luck training!

2008-04-04 11:31 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Has everyone booked there hotel yet and if so where is the popular place to stay?

2008-04-05 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1317327

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
I haven't booked my hotel either, be nice to find one that is within walking distance to the festivities.
2008-04-06 5:40 PM

Veteran
Mississippi
We found a three bedroom condo for a week for $1,200 that is only a few blocks from race start and there are three of us sharing it. A week of lodging for $400 not too bad!
Glad to see new posters to this forum and planning to do IMAZ.
As to the open water swim- just get plenty of swimming in, get your open water swims in and find a wet suit you are comfortable in and can swim in.
Don't be fooled by swimming the 2.4 distance a time or two in your training and thinking that is it. You have to do the trianing for the swim- I would say at least 3 times a week. It is not as much about being able to swim 2.4 miles in open water, although that is a huge part- you gotta come out of the water- but your body needs to be conditioned to be able to then tackle the 112 mile bike and a full marathon. If you don't get your endurance work in during your training period for that it will be a long day!
2008-04-13 10:20 AM

Champion
No excuses!
Anyone else watching the coverage today and getting pumped?
2008-04-14 10:07 AM

Veteran
Vancouver, WA
Hey everyone.

Well, IMAZ (April 08) is in the books!

I loved watching the finish line crossings last night. I didn't get to see any of the other coverage. I did a Half Mary yesterday and then had to drive 4 hours. (Not recommended). did get psyched watching all the first timers crossing the line though. It gives me hope...

We are now the next group to take on IMAZ. I say, "Bring it on." Best of luck to you. Only 32 more weeks until THE DAY.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMAZ Nov 08 'Official" Training-Discussion Blog till 11-23... Rss Feed  

of 33