Trievents
31C / 88F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 58s
Overall Rank = 170/206
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 30/43
Pre-race routine:

Got everything ready and packed the night before. Got up at 5am, breakfast was Special K and skim milk. Drove down to Matilda Bay with plenty of time to spare. There was a mix up with registrations yesterday - I'd entered the long course but had been put in the short course. I thought it had been sorted yesterday, but this morning I had to rack my bike with the short course girls. Spent a bit of time confirming that I could still do the long course ... a bit stressful but I got it sorted :)
Event warmup:

Jogging, stretching, swimming in the bay.
Had a Gu before getting in the water.
Swim
  • 12m 14s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was the most nervous about the swim part of this race, it just looked so much further than I'd imagined. I told myself I would just relax and swim at a pace that felt right for me, it was my race, I'd push myself but not go too hard too fast so I didn't burn myself out early on. There weren't a huge amount of girls so I seeded myself at the front, the horn blew and off I went trying to get some clear water. After a while I noticed there didn't seem to be anyone around me, looked up and realised I'd swum a fair amount off course!!! I have no idea how I managed to do that! Anyway swam back to the group and managed to navigate OK the rest of the way. Because of my navigation error I was towards the back of the group and I couldn't find anyone to draft off. I was happy with my pace, but I probably lost about a minute all up.
What would you do differently?:

Navigate!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Good transition, went to plan. I had a bottle of water which I used to wash off my feet and this turned out to be a good idea, as there was a lot of sand and gravel. I also used a bright red towel to mark my place and was able to find my spot instantly.

Not much.
Bike
  • 43m 28s
  • 20 kms
  • 27.61 km/hr
Comments:

I had a headache on the ride so had trouble concentrating, but I finished it in the time I expected so was OK. I dropped my water bottle AGAIN in a moment of lapsed concentration - I did the same thing last year!!! Luckily I'd drunk most of its contents by that stage so hydration was OK. I am competitive on the flat and downhill, but I am super super crap at going up hills and this was my big downfall in this race as there are a few hills. I think I may have been able to average 30khr if it was just a flat course (bike comp said my average was 28khr). Used my aeros as much as possible and this helped a lot. This is my first race with my aero bars.

Need to get better on hills.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I found my place again easily thanks to the red towel. I got my runners on quickly and downed another Gu, started running, then just as I was about to exit transition I realised I still had my bike helmet on. BIG DUH!!!! I am such a dork. I probably lost 20-30 secs having to run back to my spot to put down my helmet.

Duh - take helmet off!
Run
  • 31m 15s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 15s  min/km
Comments:

I'm really not a fast runner, but if I can run all the way I am happy and I achieved this today. I was a bit put off because the run turn around was quite a bit further out than what we'd practised last week, so mentally I had to get my head around that and push on. Last week during practice I felt like I could have pushed harder but not today - my pace was exactly what I could manage. I tried to speed up a few times but it wasn't going to happen. But I didn't stop!!! :) On the way back it was a lot harder because there was no cooling head wind and the sun was right on us, so it was quite hot. Anyway, minor inconvenience. I tried to enjoy the nice view of the city and river. During the last 500m I sped up a lot and pushed myself hard over the finish line.

Not a lot. I'm happy with my run. Obviously one can always get faster!
Post race
Warm down:

I was really pleased to see Sef and my mum at the end. The parents in law were late and didn't come until a lot later. Its so nice to have people you care about cheering you on at the end :) Anyway I had some recovery drink, some water and an apple. I milled around for a short while chatting to some girls from the training course and then Sef, mum & the in laws went out to breakfast in Nedlands. Except I really wasn't hungry - I wanted rasin toast or pancakes and they had neither, so I just had a coffee and a small carrot cake.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As always, fitness and excess weight, but I've come a long way!

Event comments:

Well, I did it! My first long course sprint triathlon. This distance would have been inconcievable to me even last year. It was just right for my fitness level today though! Sure, my swim navigation could have been better, I could have not had a headache and I could have remembered to take my helmet off, and if I'd done all that I could have done it 1-2 mins faster. But I am not going to nit pick and complain. I had a great race, I did the distance and I am really happy with my time :)

Last updated: 2007-12-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:14 | 750 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 32/43
Overall: 162/206
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: 750m parallel to shore, then a right hand turn into transition.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:28 | 20 kms | 27.61 km/hr
Age Group: 27/43
Overall: 142/206
Wind: Little
Course: Two laps through Perth's prime real estate area :)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:31:15 | 05 kms | 06m 15s  min/km
Age Group: 34/43
Overall: 179/206
Course: Out and back along the river.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-03-02 1:26 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: Women's Triathlon

2008-03-02 2:16 PM
in reply to: #1246632

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD
Subject: RE: Women's Triathlon

WOOHOO!  Well done!  You've overcome that barrier from the short to the long course sprints!  YAY!!!

A great report to see.  Sorry you lost a water bottle. And your helmet made me laugh!    Sounds like you had a great time and I'm glad you family were there to cheer you on! 

2008-03-02 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Congratulations on stepping up. All the training with Rosie's group came to fruition and you were great out there.

There's a few things you can take out of this race that will make you faster next time . Rest assured you're not the only one who's been so keen to start running that they forgot to take off their helmet!!

Good job, you deserve to be proud of yourself.

PS Were you well hydrated prior to starting the race?
The headache could have been from dehydration...
2008-03-03 4:19 AM

Perth

Great job,

Its good to see it all came together on the day...you must be feeling great, its a good acheivement to step up to that distance.

You seem to have come a long way over the last few months well done!

2008-03-03 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Congrats!! I think it was you I cheered on down the finish chute!  I hope it was otherwise some girl must htink I'm a bit nuts

well done on the longer distance!  that swim does look awfully long before you start doesn't it.  I think because its just a straight swim along the shore.  How were the jellys? 

hehe I like the helmet part,  almost as funny as the chick that headed out on the bike course with her swim cap and goggles on underneath her helmet!! Yes still on for the entire bike course.

great race you should be really pleased with yourself!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Women's Triathlon Rss Feed