General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas Athletes St. Patricks Day Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dallas Athletes St. Patricks Day Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Keller, Texas
United States
Dallas Athletes
57F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 9s
Overall Rank = 167/462
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 23/40
Pre-race routine:

Woke up (heh...wait, that would imply I slept), got the car loaded quickly and did the proverbial checklist before we left. Temperature said 57 with the winds out of the west, and I had no reason to believe it was an April Fools joke, since this was the Ides of March with a twist of leprechaun thrown in. Anyway, I blew off bringing the wind pants and long sleeve shirt. I immediately regretted that decision when we got out of the car at the race venue and were slapped with a nice 14mph and gusting NORTH wind. I'd just like to do a race here pretty soon where hypothermia reduction is not a part of the pre-race routine.
Event warmup:

I got Transition set up and went to get marked. Saying "41" to the girl doing the markings isn't any easier than it was last year when I said "40". Oh well! I went inside with Brian and saw Jeepfleeb and we chatted for a few minutes and he took some pictures of me and Brian. Then I decided I was going to do something on race day that I had never tried before on race day. Calm down, people. I warmed up in the pool. I swam a nicely paced 100m and got used to the water. It's a very nice pool, if not a little warm. I got out and got in line. I was about 125th to start out of 490 or so, and I was ready to race. I look across the pool after I hear this shrill whistle that no doubt had 100 or so people writhing in pain from bleeding air drums, and there was Brian trying to ask me something. We did the "what?" thing back and forth, then he points to his ankle. Oh yeah...that whole timing chip thing. Good to know. He was allowed to get mine (need to remember that when I race with Aaron next time), and I laced it up and got ready to flog the hydro.
Swim
  • 05m 33s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

I am glad I did the warm up swim, and that will be a routine of mine from now on. It got my blood going some, acclimated me to the water temperature, speed and clarity, and what can I say, I look good wet. I jumped in, put my hand on the Polar start button and waited for the starter to say go. I was off. The 1st 100m was well done and controlled and nobody was on my feet. The 2nd 100m I started catching people and thanks to the 9' wide lanes, was able to pass without much fisticuffs. The last 100m was a different story. I somehow caught up to a group of 3 swimmers who were swimming side by side. At the 50m turn, I attempted to pass and was summarily head-butted, kicked and unintentionally (I hope) groped. So much for that. Good experience though. I will be a tad more aggressive next time in that situation. So off we went, those 3 taking up the entire lane and me swimming, stopping, swimming, stopping...I finally decided to not worry about it and concentrate on T1 and what I was going to do. I used the ladder to exit the pool, heard some people scream my name (way cool) and ran out to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Well, not much except be a little faster and perhaps more aggressive in passing in that situation. I was satisfied with my swim, log jam on the last 100 notwithstanding. I think it cost me maybe 15-20 seconds and some unecessarily expended energy with the start/stop...no big deal. I wasn't passed, to the best of my knowledge.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Remember the warm water? It made the run outside into 57 degrees with a north wind blowing at 14mph a bit of a shock to all things only covered by spandex. Ahem. I did remember I was in rack 4 on the left and exactly where my bike was located. The bike racks looked like opened cans of sardines. They really needed some more racks.. I don't want my ride scraping other bikes, and I am sure other people don't want that either. It also left little to no room to put both pairs of my shoes down. It was that cramped, at least in my rack. Maybe most of the bikes in my rack were Clydesdales? Anyway, goggles down, bike shoes on (sans socks or drying off), racebelt on (I wear it on the bike out of habit, which will change in my HIM and IM this year),, gu in my pocket, sunglasses on, helmet on and buckled and bike unracked. I ran to the mount line.

Not much...considering my first tri last year had a 3:53 T1 and this one was 1:45, I'd call that an improvement.
Bike
  • 39m 22s
  • 12.6 miles
  • 19.20 mile/hr
Comments:

Hi, I'd like to order pristine biking conditions with no wind and something warmer than mid-50's, please. Can you help with that? Thanks.
The course was nice and conducive to fast speeds, but that didn't translate due to Motha Nature. I was 111/490 overall, so I am not complaining THAT much, but I sure would like a windless ride on my bike one of these days. I went sockless, like I do in training, and it saved me T1 time. My...uhhh...package went numb on the first loop and I immediately knew it wasn't due to my saddle. Nope, it was a combination of coming out of the water as the sun was barely out, the 15-20mph north wind, which was exacerbated by me riding 20mph, and next to no coverage of said package. I thawed out by the 2nd loop, which was nice. Frozen packages should contain vegetables, not the male anatomy. Just my opinion.

Race in June?
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

I went fast enough and got ready to leave for the run that I was sure I had forgotten to do something important, so I double checked everything prior to running out of T2. I did forget to do something: Trust myself. I was good to go the first time. It was great rolling into T2 and seeing very few bikes there. What a nice change. :)

Not much except go through the transition in my mind as the bike is ending so I don't spend extra time wondering if I had everything right.
Run
  • 28m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I know exactly where I can improve in these sprints, and it is right here on the run. I started off on the run without any leg problems, which was good considering I didn't/couldn't hydrate enough prior to finishing the bike. I had a seriously high falutin' hankering to walk for a minute to get my HR down about .5 miles in, but my experience in past triathlons is that my legs and lungs will adjust themselves accordingly around mile 2. This held true today.

I wouldn't use the wrong pacer. Some dude passed me and got about 50m ahead around mile 1. Slowly but surely I reeled him in and caught him at the turnaround. He evidently was chagrined by this turn of events and unbeknownst to me, slowed down a lot. I was just going to pace off of him and then kick it in the last 1/2 mile. Well, he got slower and slower, and I got slower and slower...I will admit, I did appreciate the HR cooldown, however briefly. Then he started doing the Ironman Shuffle and I followed suit. That lasted 10 seconds before I realized this was a RACE. I flew by him and only a handful of runners passed me the last mile. I finished strong, buoyed by all the BT'ers screaming at me as I rounded the bend to the finish. That was cool.
Post race
Warm down:

After I rounded the last corner, I crossed the line, but not before doing some ridiculous pose as I ran by Jeepfleeb while he was taking my picture. That's gonna be a funny one. Got my finishers medal (surprise) and headed over to the ever-growing BT contingent. At this point, there were about 10-12 there hanging out cheering on finishers. Then a bunch more showed up (total of about 20 of us there!), as there was a group ride planned post-race. I initially was going to ride with them, but Brian had some major GEE EYE issues last night and today on the bike and he was my ride home. Poor guy...but what a trooper! I got a couple pancakes, a cup of coffee and took some pictures, etc. We loaded up the bikes when everyone had completed the bike portion and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wynd, wend, wind. I know everyone had to deal with it, but the question is what made it harder for me to perform better, and my top choice is the wind. I also realized pretty early into the bike that my lungs are not completely recovered from the 2 week flu-yuck I just recently exorcised from my body.

Event comments:

It was a really fun time. I saw a ton of BT'ers, and got to meet some new ones. This race had a big turnout for us. Thanks to Brian and Aaron for bringing cameras and taking a lot of pictures. Thanks also to the BT'ers who just came to JS for the racers. That was way cool. If Aaron or Brian send me some pictures, I will post them here.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-03-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:33 | 300 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/40
Overall: 106/462
Performance: Average
Suit: Segoi/Zoot Combo Platter
Course: 50m lanes. It was a little warm, but 9 feet wide swimming lanes rock.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:22 | 12.6 miles | 19.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/40
Overall: 111/462
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Two clockwise 6+ mile loops.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:14 | 03.11 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/462
Performance:
Course: Winding flat course through the woods, for the most part.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-15 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: Dallas Athletes St. Patricks Day Sprint

2008-03-15 8:20 PM
in reply to: #1274019

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: RE: Dallas Athletes St. Patricks Day Sprint
The cold coming out of the pool was harsh!! I was freezing on the bike too. Good race!!!
2008-03-15 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX
Nice race today. It was nice meeting you and Brian and I won't take the Clydesdale remark above personally (since I was on your same rack)....
2008-03-15 11:08 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

that wind was a nice surprise if you wanted an excuse to wear a few layers of clothing..

both you and your bro.. had some really good T1 & T2 times... way to improve 

2008-03-15 11:47 PM

Veteran
The Colony, Texas, USA, Earth
congrats bro on a your Sprint PR.  Overall, you did awesome - I think you had some sympathy sickness going on and I appreciate that.  LOL.  Thanks for the cheering at the end.  As usual, it was nice to see you on the run and exchange the short words of encouragement.  Oh, and thanks for letting me sleep the night before.  Sorry, but it was probably the right thing to do.  Even though you had to fly solo for a few hours. ha ha.  Oh, and next time you see me "blowin' chunks"...don't bother askin if I'm ok...I would think witnessing the unpleasant view would answer that question...haha!
2008-03-16 12:55 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
congrats!!!

2008-03-16 9:01 AM

Good job on the race!  Congrats!
2008-03-16 9:03 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

I LOVE your commentary on the race.   I was in stictches.

Great race today for you!   Sorry didn't get to see you at the race, but I suspect you saw me deadman shuffling along somewhere.....

Looking forward to seeing you at another event soon.  Please let me know about the group rides/OWS's -- I'd love to join ya sometime, if you can handle a slow poke. 

I'm sure we'll see ya at PlayTRI, but I won't be HIM'ing it.  Prolly do the sprint on Saturday.

2008-03-16 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Excellent job, Chris! It sounded like a lot of fun. Wish we had been able to do it, too.
2008-03-16 10:23 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-16 10:45 AM

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

Nicely done.

Too bad your bike was stuck with a bunch of bully Clydesdales. 

I like what you wrote about the pacer...I often get into that situation. 

2008-03-16 11:09 AM

Regular
Burleson, TX
Great race!!!

Thank you for making me feel welcome at my first race. Seeing you guys really calmed my nerves down before the swim. Cool tattoo!!!

Good luck with your training for the Ironman.

2008-03-16 12:56 PM

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Congratulations, Karhu!!  Great job out there and your race report, not surprisingly, was fun to read.  What a way to start your season... you're on your way to that lil' turkey trot in AZ indeed .
2008-03-16 5:42 PM

Expert
McKinney, TX
Nice race, Chris!  Great meeting you and Brian! 
2008-03-16 6:48 PM

Expert
Longview, TX
Nice to meet you Chris.  Great race!
2008-03-17 10:33 AM

Elite
San Jose, CA
great race report!  and a great race!

2008-03-17 11:03 AM

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Great race in the cold and tough conditions.  It was nice to meet your and your brother, and I hope your wetsuits come in in time to join us for the OWS this weekend.
2008-03-17 1:03 PM

Master
Portland, Oregon
LOVED your race report. Great job out there! Wish I'd have been there to cheer too. Oh, and when you choose a bunny to chase, choose a fast one. Just fyi.
2008-03-17 1:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Allen

"Flog the hydro."  Hilarious!

great job in that cold wind.  good thing you weren't behind Brian when he revisited his hydration.

One quote to remember from a great Seinfeld ep.:  "I WAS IN THE POOL!!  I WAS IN THE POOL!!" - George Costanza.

2008-03-17 5:12 PM

Regular
Keller, TX
Hey Chris, great race.

I second that with the racks it was really tight, and yes 57 and wet aint fun..... but i can't complain much based on what i heard the Athens temp was. Way to hang on in the run and let the battle inside settle itself.

2008-03-17 7:22 PM

Master
Keller Tx
Very nice Chris!  glad we had the chance to meet you and Brian!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas Athletes St. Patricks Day Sprint Rss Feed