United States
Triad Tri Team
80F / 27C
Total Time = 50m
Overall Rank = 2/34
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Clif bar, water 3 hours prior to start. Gatorade until 30 mins prior to start. Did a Powergel 30 mins prior to start and chased with water. Light stretching, hot shower before leaving for the race
Event warmup:

150 yards in the pool to get the blood flowing to the right parts of the body.
Swim
  • 10m
  • 700 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

In this event, the time was fixed at 10 mins. Swim as far as you can in that time period. I had a great swim! Was extremely happy with performance. Felt very strong throughout. 75 yards in, one of my goggles leaked half an eyeful of water during a turn. Swam rest of the swim with one eye - huge distraction. If it were open water, I'd probably have found a good place to clear it, but since swim portion was so short decided to live with it. Felt real strong the whole way. I felt that the swim was going to be my strongest event, so I pushed it as best I could.
What would you do differently?:

Tighten goggles a hair more. Investigate better pair of goggles with different seal.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Fixed time T1. Got my distance recorded on my scoring sheet from the swim, then went to locker room, threw on some shorts over top of jammers, T-shirt, and some running shoes then headed to the cardio room and found a stationary bike.

Nothing. T1 times were not recorded and did not impact the final scoring.
Bike
  • 20m
  • 9.22 miles
  • 27.66 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike portion was a fixed 20 mins. Go as far as you can in that time. The bikes were set up in bike mode. When you increase the resistance, the actual speed of the bike increased as if you had switched to a higher gear. I was very worried about this event. My training at my YMCA on the Precor produced distances around 6 miles. Turns out the YMCA where the race took place at uses Lifecycles which are geared totally different. Stayed at 90-95 rpms throughout. Stayed at resistance of 13-15 throughout. Trick at doing well in this portion is to find a high enough resistance where you can keep up your 90 rpms.

Didn't take enough time to set the seat to the correct height. I could have raised it up another inch or two from where I did set it at and been a lot more comfortable.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

T2 was simply getting off your stationary bike, having a volunteer write your bike distance on your score card and then walking 5 feet to the treadmill right behind it. I used every bit of the two minutes I had to walk, stretch, hydrate etc.
Run
  • 20m
  • 2.69 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was a fixed 20 mins - go as far as you can. A lot of sloshing around in the stomach when I started, but not enough to make me uncomfortable. I hit the wall at 4 mins in. Struggled for about 3-4 mins, then felt better. Hit another wall at 15 mins in, but knew it was almost over, so it wasn't as bad as the first one. Started at 8 min per mile pace. Every min that went by, I increased the speed by 0.1 mph. Started having problems with breathing/tightness in lungs and ended up dropping back to where I started at for a min or two, then started cranking it again. Sprinted the last minute by jacking up the speed.

Figure out why my breathing went funny on me. Felt like I couldn't take a full breath. Maybe it was the humidity inside. Maybe I was overheating. Still not sure, but felt terrible to bring that speed down.
Post race
Warm down:

Found out that they had some Krispy Kreme donuts!!! People probably thought I was crazy, but 3 mins after I was done, I had wolfed down a donut and chased it with some Gatorade. It didn't sit very well, but I kept it down and it tasted great. Did some walking. Should have stretched, but I was so happy to be done.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Breathing during the run limited my speed. The muscles could have handled slightly faster speeds, but need to figure out why I got so tight in the lungs. Even with that, I'm still extremely pleased at my overall performance.

Event comments:

It was great seeing another BT'er out there. Congrats Sue!!!! As far as the event - this was a great beginner race. Since everyone is competing on stationary equipment, there's no feelings of finishing in first or last place. Great way to race in the winter when the weather is colder. These are typically smaller races in terms of people too. No worries about hitting others during the swim. It took place on Sunday morning when the YMCA is closed to the general public, so there's absolutely no one else competing for the equipment. I'm surprised there's not more of them throughout the county. Also, support members, family can literally stand there right beside you and encourage you the entire race.

I left feeling great with a nice Triad Tri Team fleece for finishing #2. They also have 2 more tri's coming up in Jan. At this event, you could get a cool T-shirt that had a graphic and "swim" on it. If you get the T-shirt in the 2nd race you get one that has a different color and graphic and "bike" on it. You guessed it about #3 - a 3rd color, graphic, and "run" on it. Very cool way to keep things different, but make you want to come back to get the complete set.

I put some bigger pics in the album section if you want to see me with my shaved head.

Thanks to all my BT friends for the kind support over the past 4 months of training!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-12-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 700 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 1/34
Performance: Good
Suit: Just a pair of Jammers
Course: 25y swimming pool. 10 min fixed time limit
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:20:00 | 9.22 miles | 27.66 mile/hr
Overall: 3/34
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Stationary bike - you set the resistance.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 92
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:00 | 02.69 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Overall: 3/34
Performance: Average
Course: Treadmill with 0% incline.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-12-12 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Y-Tri Indoor Tri #1

2004-12-12 4:41 PM
in reply to: #91689

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-12-12 5:07 PM

Champion
Subject: RE: Y-Tri Indoor Tri #1
Congrats Jeff, I like the pictures! Looks like you had a great time!

2004-12-12 8:30 PM

Master
Plant City, FL

Congrats on the race!!  Sounds like you had a fun time, and got a cool shirt to top it off!! 

2004-12-12 11:36 PM

Master
Boston
Jeff! CONGRATULATIONS! This is so cool to see your race report. I feel like I was there! What a neat idea for an indoor tri. I might have to suggest it to our gym. Anyways, great job finishing- now you know what you have to work on for next season. Have a great week.
2004-12-14 4:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Very cool race, Jeff!

Congratulations on your splits!

Felix

2004-12-14 5:25 PM

Veteran
San Antonio, Texas
Pretty cool idea!
2004-12-14 6:44 PM

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement!!!

Jeff
2004-12-14 11:02 PM

Veteran
Alabama
Awesome Race! Sounds like so much fun! AND wow! what a finish you did great!
BTW...I'm a fellow Krispy Kreme donut fan, actually huge fan! THey are so good!!

Any way Congrats!!
Thanks for sharing,
Kristi
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Y-Tri Indoor Tri #1 Rss Feed