hillstriders
27F / -3C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 27m 57s
Overall Rank = 941/1200
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 51/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:30, had 20 oz of water, got ready and drove to Cary-about 10 miles away.
Event warmup:

After the registration, I jogged lightly for about half a mile around the parking lot. There were patches of black ice on the ground....when I saw one, the thoughts started creeping into my head that maybe I should have stayed home, in a warm bed!
Run
  • 2h 27m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

The run, of course, was a bit interesting, given my previous confession. i ran this race last year, so I knew exactly what to expect, but haven't trained on this course since last race, either. I did wise up and brought an Ipod with me this time-AH! bliss! Makes the time go by SO.MUCH.FASTER. As soon as the gun went off, I was grinning from ear to ear, actually looking forward to the run. That lasted two miles :)

It was 27 degrees when we started, and I had three layers on and should have had one layer less. I wore my UnderArmour Cold Gear tights (a wonderful invention), the same Cold Gear mock turtleneck, a fleecy and a windbreaker, a hat and gloves. Not too much, right? Well, the gloves came off at the end of the first mile, and i was hot the rest of the run. Note to self-less layers next time if it's 27 degrees or warmer!

So, by mile 3 i was getting a bit tired, more tired by mile 4. I kept telling myself that after 5 miles it gets easier-memories from last year that at the time, I started attributing to craziness, as at 5 miles, I just wanted to go home :) I tried to stay positive and not to think that I still have E.I.G.H.T. more miles to go before the "great training run" is over...

The course has a ton of hills, fast ones, big ones, little ones, you name it, they got it. I really like that, actually-the hills break up the monotony quite nicely.. i took full advantage of the downhill and ran those at 7-7.6 mph-where as my flat segments speed was about 5.6 mph...

I did the run with the walk breaks, which, of course, how I run all my races or training runs. I started out doing 3/1 and was going to increase the running intervals, but at mile 5, I figured the 3-4/1 was working nicely, i was keeping a good 10:20-10:30 pace, so I should just stick to it, so i did. The last two miles my legs were just done, so I told myself I could do 2/1, but I did push myself to 3/1 every time.

At 9.5 miles we had a wicked LOOOOONG hill-it took me 2.5 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking to climb it, my legs were not happy campers by then. I was really, really happy to be on the home stretch. I always just give what I have left the last 50-100 yards and gun it-I raced down the finish chute and passed some guy at the very end-I heard him go, "Whaaaaaa?" that felt good!

I believe that my last year best time for a Half-marathon was right around 2:27, so really, as tentative as this race was, to finish only a minute slower is good. I know I'm not fast, but I run, and to me, that's what matters right now. Now, I will focus on an actual training plan, so I hope the next half-mary is a few minutes faster :)
What would you do differently?:

Ahem...train.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm-down? hmmmm wobble to the car and drive home after scarfing down a pretzel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training.

Event comments:

I love this race! it's one of my favorites and I plan to run it every year-it's a great challenge and a nice way to open a season!!

Last updated: 2008-03-18 12:00 AM
Running
02:27:57 | 13.1 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 51/
Overall: 941/1200
Performance: Good
Course: The course is hilly, of course. very, very hilly. SUPER hilly. Yeah. It's dubbed 9 on a scale of 1 to 10 for hills and the most challenging course in Northern Illinois. Honestly, I don't know about being the most challenging, but it was challenging enough. Let me precede by saying that I did not train for this race. At all. I know-stupid. The reasons are these (well, outside of normal laziness, which I have plenty of)-i was pregnant in January, so of course i toned running down quite a bit. Then I ended up having a miscarriage....So I thought I would obviously run the race. However, less than a month later, I thought I was pregnant again-we weren't trying, of course..and even though it turned out I wasn't, I let a couple of weeks go by thinking if I am pregnant, maybe I should hold off on running... and before I knew it, the half-marathon was like 2-3 weeks away! Then came our business convention and general state of being swamped with life, so I went into this race completely unprepared. I was too competitive to just give it up and not run, so I figured I would look at it as a great training run. The results weren't bad for not having trained!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-18 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Subject: March Madness Half Marathon

2008-03-19 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1279487

User image

Regular
Northbrook, IL
Subject: RE: March Madness Half Marathon
Great run for not having trained and given the emotional turmoil of the year. I admire your fortitude...I agree about the layers thing; I was shivering at the start and by mile three wished that I had at least one layer less. I will remember that next year. I wish I knew about the pretzels...all these race reports rave about them and I feel like I missed out on a big part of the race. Thanks for your post to my race report, and I hope you have a less eventful remainder of the year.
2008-03-19 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Great race.  Especially, with everything you had to go through to get to the starting line.  Not easy. 

Keep up the good work.  Those pretzels were good!

2008-03-19 8:27 PM

User image

Regular
Westchester, IL
good job and congrats. Like I tell my brother, you showed up thats a winner.
I trained on the course and it was not easy at all.
I'll be back next year
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » March Madness Half Marathon Rss Feed