United States
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 37m 7s
Overall Rank = /415
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up fairly early and did the usuall race morning things. I don't need to elaborate do I? About the only thing out of the ordinary was the fact that I didn't eat the usuall cereal bar for breakfast. Need to get to SCP early as I had not registered for the race.
Event warmup:

After registering I went back and sat in the truck until about 15 min 'till start time. I wanted to get out and get warmed up good but pre race nerves usually kill that notion. I typically have a hard time getting up to speed in races if I don't do a lot of warmup. Most of the time race day nerves keep me from gaetting much warm up in! Walked to the starting line and ran about half a mile for warmup. Tom snuck up behind me and tried filling my head with negative vibes while warming up. Finished warmup with him and settled in the crowd and waited for the gun to go off!
Run
  • 37m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 05m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Weather was perfect for a race. Mid 40's overcast and very little wind. Started out very conservative while I was trying to get into a flow. Chatted with a few guys I know while the race was in the early stages. Actually got some good insight from one of the local Irongods about motivation! Oh and he asked me why I'm not running Boston! I told him I would rather beat him in Kona than beat him in Boston.

Managed to keep an eye on the guys I run with while I was chatting it up. I didn't want to let them get to far away. There was a pack of about 20 running together. They managed to get maybe 150 yrds on me before I decided I better bridge the gap! Told John he better go with me he just kind of chuckled and said go get 'em! Caught back up with the group but was in oxygen debt when I got there. I tried to stay 15-20 feet behind the last person until my HR settled down and I started breathing normal again. I didn't want them to think I was working that hard. Most of the guys in this pack I know fairly well so I wanted to stick with them. The guys that have won my age group at the last two races were in this pack. They wouldn't beat me today...

The pack splinter fairly quickly which doesn't happen all the time. Michael and Scott(the two in my AG) will typically run the race together. Michael was the first to go. By 3km in I was in a much smaller pack of only about 5. Myself and Scott were running here. I was trying to listen to him and judge how he was running. I had doubts that I might beat him today. Right after 4km I glanced over my shoulder to see where he had gone and he had started to drop back abit. I tried to encourage him to get back with me. I didn't see him the rest of the race.

This course was marked in km's so I decided that I would just keep a first 5k split and a second 5k split. By 5k I was running with only one guy. I thought entering the race that he was much faster than me. I think he maust of had a bad day because if I remember right he has beaten me easily in the past. We ran together, exchanging the lead up until about the 8k point. That was really good for me because battling him kept my pace honest. I couldn't slow down. Mentally it really helped also. I know that I helped pull him along also. So Thanks for the run Rod! At about 8k I shot a quick look back to see where Michael was and to my suprise Rod had dropped back enough that I knew I wouldn't have to worry about him catching me. Michael was a non factor also as I know he doesn't usually kick real hard at the end. I probably beat him by a minute and some change.

The last kilometer of the race make a little loop around a walking trail so you are fairly close to the finish area the whole time. Mentally tough to focus on finishing at a good pace. One more quick look with about 600 yrds left and Hector Rios comes flying by me. There was no way in HELL I could have matched him to the finish. I told him to go get the guy in front of me. FYI he didn't but he was still moving! Another plus is that he is a few years older than me so he wasn't gonna get my hardware!

Approaching the finish I was very suprised by what my watch was telling me. Very low 37's. Nice. My PR is 37:01 so I was little over that but my training has been very sporadic recently. And I probably could have pushed a little harder. I wasn't in complete disallusion the last mile like I should be.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure! Maybe push harder earlier. I think I ran a smart race today!
Post race
Warm down:

Very little time for a cool down as I had late morning plans South of Wichita. Watched a few of the guys finish. Tom looked like he could have ran in the 30 minute range when he came in. He looked strong! Stood around for just a minute with him and Scott and asked them to pick up my hardware, if I won any. Made my way to the truck and left!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Testicular Fortitude!

Event comments:

Like Lisa said this race benefits a VERY good cause. And the organization does a wonderful job with this race. I wish some of the other organizations in town would come out and watch how to do it right! Other than a RunWichita event this might be close to the best one in the area. $500 to the winner makes for a very fast finish. The local stud that ran in the Olympic Marathon Trials got out sprinted at the finish line. Or so I hear!

Last updated: 2008-03-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:07 | 06.21 miles | 05m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/415
Performance: Good
Course: Along the trails at Sedgwick County Park
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-23 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Subject: Easter Sun Run

2008-03-23 8:54 AM
in reply to: #1288059

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Easter Sun Run
Nice race... guess you'll be lookin for that new PR at the River Run. Maybe I can keep with ya at that one
2008-03-23 11:14 AM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Only 22 minutes faster than I could've done it on my best day! Very nice run. What was your place overall, any idea?
2008-03-23 4:19 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I was sure you would show up wearing a "Man-Kini" - half top and briefs - since it was so cold outside. I was a little disappointed to hear you weren't. I thought you were hard core.

Congrats on your age group win! I think you were top 10 overall too...? Rawk on.
2008-03-24 6:46 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Nice PR man.  Great RR to read as well.  So many people don't know what's going on around them and you had no such problems. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Easter Sun Run Rss Feed