General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 10s
Overall Rank = 177/868
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 21/59
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at the crack of stupid, so as not to awaken the family. Got in my parents' pickup and drove to the site. Stopped at a gas station to get some needed coffee. Arrived at the lot, went to take my bike out of the truck...and spilled aforementioned coffee. Drank a Muscle Milk energy shake, since I couldn't find my usual pb bagel anywhere.
Got set up, ran into Rob (tag), but didn't see any other BT-ers.
Event warmup:

Stretched, walked down to the site, got on my wetsuit. I had swum the course the day before, so I was feeling pretty good about the swim. The big mystery was, what was my leg going to feel like? No point in worrying about it now. I'll have all the answers I need in about an hour...
Swim
  • 09m 40s
  • 528 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt great on this swim. Form felt really solid, breathing was good, and never really felt tired or disoriented. I faded slightly off my line and had to pause to regain my line, but never went off course. Passed tons of people, since I'd seeded myself about mid-pack. Even caught and passed a few people in previous waves. Got into a couple of good draft packs, and did a good job of jumping ahead to faster groups when needed.
By far my best tri swim yet. My wife said she only saw 8 or 9 people in my wave come out of the water before me. I was giving it as much as I could, since I had no idea whether I'd be able to run.

What would you do differently?:

I could definitely stand to get faster. 1:56/100 isn't exactly setting the world on fire, but it's a big improvement over last year when I did the same swim in 11:00+. I think a 1:20 improvement on such a short swim is pretty good.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

My transitions suck. There's no reason why this couldn't have been faster. Esp with a wetsuit stripper. One funny moment: I saw Aaron (JeepFleeb) at the Bike start and yelled hello, and he said, basically, "Never mind! Go!" Which I did.

It was at this point (running to bike out with my bike) when I realized, "...hey....I kinda think I'm running here, and it doesn't hurt. Hmmmm...."

I need to practice transitions. This was a mess. Should have been at least a minute faster.
Bike
  • 38m 12s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 19.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I went at it as hard as I could, because, as with the swim, I really didn't know what I'd have for the run. Was in the 22-23mph for most of the outbound leg, then turned into the headwind and hammered as hard as I could to stay in the 18.5-19 range. Stayed in my tuck the entire way, even though my helmet was too tight and it hurt. Pedalstroke and cadence were both good. I passed about as many people as passed me.

Ride more. Get a faster bike. In that order. Kinda bummed that I didn't break 20mph for the whole ride, but not gonna quibble over .4 mph.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

I chickened out on the "jumping off the bike" thing. Hadn't practiced in a while, and the dismount area was crowded.
This transition also sucked. I was wearing insoles in my shoes to support my arch, and they kept sliding around and bunching up when I put my foot in. I had put bodyglide on them, but I guess I didn't put enough.

Practice transitions more.
Run
  • 26m 43s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

The good news is, it didn't hurt. I took a really slow pace, and really focused on my form, making sure I landed on my midfoot, and keeping my strides short. I resisted the urge to go faster, even though I imagine I could have. Didn't pass many people, and got passed by quite a few, though only one or two in my AG.
Had plenty left for a sliiiightly faster kick to the finish, for the benefit of my family. Heard the announcer call my name, which was cool.

Not get hurt. This is only the second time I've run outside in almost 2 months, so although it's 1:00/mi slower than last year, considering that, only a few weeks ago, I was wondering if I'd be able to do the race at all, I'm pretty happy about it.
Post race
Warm down:

I wasn't hungry at all, so I went and got a massage. We had plans for lunch elsewhere, so I had to go and get my stuff out of transition and couldn't hang around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I wish I hadn't gotten hurt. I think the 1:15 that I had set for myself was in reach, if it hadn't been for the injury. The other thing that stands out is transitions. I think I easily wasted 2 minutes or more, which I have to find a way to get back. Practice, practice.

Event comments:

I think the race was even better this year than last. Keith and his team do an amazing job on every level. Great for participants, great for families, great for spectators. I loved the deep-water start for the swim, loved the revised run course, and all the amenities. I would never hesistate to do an endorfun race in the future.

Last updated: 2007-11-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:40 | 528 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/59
Overall: 114/868
Performance: Good
Swam really hard the whole way. No HR data but I definitely was at or above LT for much of the swim.
Suit: 2XU Comp II full
Course: Jumped off the dock, swam about 20y to the starting line, then swam a straight line past a huge paddlewheel boat, turned left, and swam about 30y into the exit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:12 | 12.5 miles | 19.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/59
Overall: 158/868
HR was pretty high, but I was pushing really hard.
Wind: Some
Course: Winding until we reached the seawall, then a straight out and back. Tailwinds out, headwinds back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:26:43 | 03 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/59
Overall: 296/868
HR was high, from having hammered the swim and the bike (and it was warm and humid.) Probably in the 170-range or so for most of the run. I was fine with that, though--the races I've done recently have shown me that I'm good for at least 30 minutes or so at that HR before I start to lose it.
Course: Mostly flat run around Moody Gardens. Less winding and twisty than last year, and with a short stretch on grass, but mostly on roads/sidewalks.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-01 8:50 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint

2008-04-01 10:08 AM
in reply to: #1307427

Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint
It was a great race, wasn't it?  You did awesome out there, especially for not running for a while.  Congrats!
2008-04-01 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
congrats to you! so happy to hear the run didn't hurt and your swim was blazin' fast! nice going!
2008-04-01 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
MA

What, did your head grow during the swim? 

Congrats on not hurting yourself AND placing so well.  Great race!

2008-04-01 1:51 PM

User image

Expert

You really buttered us all up with those talks of walking the run and I hope I make it....

Great job Jonah and congrats on the PR! You da man!

2008-04-01 3:43 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Great job, wow, especially out of coming from the cold north to the warming up Texas coast!  Great swim--I would've seen you come out of the swim as I yelled "good job, watch your step" as you ran up the ramp!! Nice run considering you weren't sure about it, that's awesome there was no hurt! Well done!

2008-04-02 12:15 PM

Pro
AZ
SEE! You WERE able to run! So you weren't as fast as you used to be. BUT you were still running and doing awesome and you FINISHED!  Many people would kill to be able to run 8:55 min miles.....so you are still ahead of the game.  Nicely done!!
2008-04-03 1:43 AM

User image

Melon Presser
CONGRATULATIONS! You pulled together a solid swim and a super bike (yeah, you know, 19.999 mph is practically 20 ) and did way better on the run than you thought you would. Very well done!
2008-04-04 5:56 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Well now.  What, exactly were you whining concerned about before the race??

Great job out there, Jonah, especially given the injury and not really knowing what would happen on the run.  I think you played it exactly as you should have. 

As for the transitions... I've been to a couple of transition clinics through the tri club as well as LTF.  Most of what I learned was common sense but hearing it, seeing it and practicing it makes it routine.

Congratulations on a super race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed