Playtri
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 24m 7s
Overall Rank = 186/242
Age Group = m 40-44
Age Group Rank = 17/27
Pre-race routine:

This time we stayed in Fort Worth and drove over. Still had to get up at 4:30. Left at 5:15 and were at the race site by 6ish. Way too early as we didn't go off until after 8.
Event warmup:

More like anything to keep warm. We were kicked out of transition after the Halfs started swimming so it was stand around in your wetsuit (should have brought a throwaway sweatshirt) and try to keep out of the wind.
Swim
  • 51m 44s
  • 1500 meters
  • 03m 27s / 100 meters
Comments:

No secret that I'm slow, not made any easier by the fact that I haven't had my swimming lessons nor could I train very well this winter. That said, I was two minutes slower than last year on a slightly longer course, so I stayed about the same.
This was a difficult swim, though, as the north wind kicked up a serious chop which was a beating for most of the race. Additionally, since the "lake" is ringed by walls, the waves bounce back and it just stays rough out there. There was a group of us slow-pokes bringing up the rear and, despite all the open water, we kept on beating on each other. Good practice, I guess. Then there was the guy who was off course coming back (white cap) and slammed me in the head knocking my goggles loose. That took a few seconds to recover from, too. I also started mildly cramping in my left calf with still several hundred meters to go, which sucked AND I just couldn't seem to force my arms past my hips, so I felt like I was short stroking the entire time. Despite all this, I didn't veer too far off course at any time, I didn't spend much time "breaststroking", and I had much more confidence over the same time last year. I'll take it.
What would you do differently?:

Body glide my shoulders, pits and neck better. I was horribly chafed coming out of the water. Did I mention I need more swimming practice?
Transition 1
  • 05m 38s
Comments:

Gotta love the wetsuit strippers. I could have dropped some time, but I stopped to pee. Also, the 1/4 mile run from the swim timing mat adds a good bit of time to the transition. It was a longer run than last year.

First of the season, putting on socks and extra clothes for the cold, windy, bike ride...probably wouldn't have done much differently.
Bike
  • 1h 30m 55s
  • 27 miles
  • 17.82 mile/hr
Comments:

No one works in those office parks on Sundays so the roads were nearly deserted. There were some major roads we were on, however and only 1 cop screwed up by allowing too many cars to turn left between me and the previous bike. Fortunately, the driver was paying attention and stopped for me. Other cops also stopped him when I shouted out. It wasn't too close, but still shouldn't have happened.

Oh, you know, ride more than twice before a race.
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

This transition seemed to take a bit more time. I did shed the vest and exchange the beanie for a running cap, but I'm at a loss to explain the seemingly lengthy time.

I'm working on it.
Run
  • 53m 33s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I fell in with a Half-er who wanted to run around a 9 min. pace. We were averaging about 8:45 and visiting (he's a 5 time IMer). We parted ways at my turn and, downwind, I increased my speed. Wind was surprisingly not a factor (except for one small section in the last 1.5 miles) as a lot of the trail was protected by trees. Cool temperatures were a bonus and, best of all, NO KNEE PAIN! The IT band appears to be officially healed. I was very pleased to turn in this pace after the serious lack of training this winter.

As for this run, nothing. I paced myself well and hydrated as I had wanted to. Aid stations were better spaced this year, too.
Post race
Warm down:

water, accelerade, bagels, oranges, bananas, walk around, find Jill, sit in the warm sun out of the crisp wind. It was all good at that time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

obviously, swimming is still too slow to even be a factor in the AG (bike and run are, too), so more training. I could have pushed both the bike and run a bit, but was very conscious of the knee and didn't want to come up lame or have another setback.

Event comments:

They do a nice job with the overall atmosphere and the communication system was far superior to last year's. I had debated not doing it, but since the money was spent, figured might as well. Glad I did. Despite the tough swim and sore shoulders, I had a good time.

Last updated: 2007-12-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:44 | 1500 meters | 03m 27s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 240/242
Performance: Below average
Suit: ProMotion Fluid Drive Wetsuit
Course: Same as last year but at least 100 m longer. My course mapping suggests that this year's course was an accurate 1500m and that last year's was only about 1400.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:30:55 | 27 miles | 17.82 mile/hr
Overall: 121/242
Performance: Good
HR stayed in the 140s except for climbs.
Wind: Strong
Course: better course than last year, although it would have been nice to have had the hills at the beginning- that way we could have finished downhill with the wind instead of the opposite. But either way, I liked the bike coures. Roads were generally good and most of the hazards were marked or a volunteer was posted nearby to alert you.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:53:33 | 06.2 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Overall: 124/242
Performance: Good
HR crept up into the 150s and 160s.
Course: better than last year. I liked the departure and alternate route to the trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-14 11:23 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: Playtri Olympic

2008-04-15 8:55 AM
in reply to: #1338242

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: Playtri Olympic
Great job out there, Doug! You had a very good bike time for not having ridden but a couple of times since October!

It was great getting to visit with you and Jill!
2008-04-15 9:03 AM

User image

Good job doing the race Doug.  I was trying hard to stay positive for you, Jill, and Sue before yall's swim, but I was VERY very glad I was watching and not doing the swim!!!

Good to visit afterwards.  Sounds like this year is a "recovery" year for both of us so far.

Stay after that IT band.  The problem doesn't go away completely, it just lurks, or goes on vacation or something.

2008-04-15 2:38 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Hey thanks for letting Jill hang out for so long at the race...I was glad to meet her! 

Nice job on the race, really fast run! 

2008-04-15 5:37 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Nice race, but once again....just think how fast you could have been with some training! I know it's not your thing, but maybe an AM workout every now and then would help you fit it in.
2008-04-16 6:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Good race, especially the swim in tough conditions. Racing in the cold stinks, but it's good to see you made the best of it. Tough crowd at home about the workouts.

2008-04-16 7:35 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Great Doug!  So glad to hear no knee pain!  Now it's time to start training for something.  Hey, since Jill mentioned it...maybe you can meet me at 5:30am for a neighborhood run...I could use someone to pace me.   
2008-04-24 8:35 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Nice job and glad to hear that you appear to be recovered from the previous injuries.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Olympic Rss Feed