Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2008-04-28 8:09 PM
in reply to: #1365579

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Newbz'z group is OPEN

David, 

I started Weight Watchers in sept '06 at 322. I lost about 42 by Jan '07 and for the next year I put about 22 back on. In Jan '08 I said enough is enough. I lost the weight I gained back and lost a few more and now I'm about 2 from the 50 pound mark. Only 50 more to go!

I played soccer in high school and played "semi-pro" football from 94-98

My training so far has been strength training and cardio  3x/week since mid jan, "swimming" for 30 minutes twice a week, started walk/running 3/3 today. (My swimming is actually a half lap at a time separated by long periods of rest, if you can call that swimming.)

I also have a personal trainer but I'm not sure if the program I'm on is what is best for me. Should I focus on my weak points (running and swimming) with some light weight training or should i go with more traditional training for a Tri?  

At first I thought I would be able to complete the swim and just be tired but with each passing week I get more nervous and wonder at what point the nice men on the jet skis will be rescuing me. Maybe I should shoot for doing 5 laps without stopping (about half the race swim)and if I'm able to do more than that before the race then it's a bonus. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

My race is the Timberman Sprint in Gilford NH on Aug 16

Thanks , Mike

Edited by Mike77816 2008-04-28 8:09 PM

2008-04-29 4:40 AM
in reply to: #1368091

User image

Champion
that is kind of how my first race but add to that getting run over about 11 times in the swim!

there is always a point(s) in a race where i want to just walk away, and never do it again, but in the end it always ends up being fun, and the more i race and train, the more i want to get out there and do it again.

That being said, you need to make sure its still fun. none of us are getting paid to do this, so (hopefully) the reasons for this are for enjoyment. its a great way to get in shape and lose weight, but there are plenty of easier ways to go about that. keeping it fun makes it so much better, but i think a lot of people lose track of that sometimes in pursuit of the fastest time. which ironically often comes about when you are having the most fun with the training!

That was kind of random i guess, but i just got in an argument with a friend about training and racing, so i thought i would share my thoughts on the topic!

2008-04-29 4:48 AM
in reply to: #1368096

User image

Champion
mike, you should have plenty of time to get to the race and make it through it.

As far as training goes, at least at first, a few things i would do are:

be careful with the running. start up slowly, and build it up slowly from there. no huge jumps (this holds true no matter the total milage you are running). if you need to walk/run/walk, then by all means do that. the key here is to be consistant, and keep slowly adding time to the run, less on the walk. an eliptical would be a big help (i know they look awful, but a good start in getting the legs ready for running). riding will also help this, just keep it at a higher cadence (over 75-80), and focus on spinning

with the swimming, if it is at all possible, see if you can either get into a swim class or possibly get someone to help with a few private lessons (if finding a coach is an issue, local highschool or college swimmers are a great place to start, many will work with you for a few lessons and get you set on the right track for very little. once you get what you need to be working on, do one length at a time, once you can do that without stopping for too long, add another length. it will seem slow at first, but you will get there. I have a friend and fellow student here that got in the pool in the beginign of march for the first time ever (never learned how to swim as a kid). he could hardly make the length of the pool doggie paddling. he is now swimming 100yrds in 1:40. with some help and a little work it can deff be done.

let me know if you have questions and anything else i can help with

for the overall training, i would focus on losing the weight (you seem to be doing a great job here!), as that will help everthing, and getting into a consistent routine with the working out. if you are not riding at all now, start adding that into the mix.
2008-04-29 8:37 AM
in reply to: #1354430

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Mike, I completely agree with David(newbz)...

You have a lot of time to prepare. Just keep on track and continue to build your swimming, running and biking endurance.

Something that wasn't mentioned but is something that David would also second is remember to schedule recovery weeks as well. The worst thing you can do is build up to where you are sure you will complete the distance to be sidelined by an overuse injury or get completely burned out in July. 3 to 4 weeks of build to 1 week of recovery is what I have seen in most plans and fits with most suggestions you will find in any tri-training book as well.
2008-04-29 9:32 AM
in reply to: #1368091

User image

Fishers, IN
Many question why we do these endurance sports. You go into them knowing that if you give it your all, pain/suffering is inevitable. But afterwards, the feeling of accomplishment. Basking in the warm glow of accomplishment! I just did Boston, it wasn't my fastest race, I have gone in better prepared in the past, but I gave it my all on race day. I probably enjoyed that more than any I have done so far. Unfortunately, Chicago was about to sell out when I got back from Boston so I entered it even though I am not certain that I will want run the mileage necessary to run a fast marathon. The warm glow got me before I really thought it through. Looking forward to tris.

Greg
2008-04-29 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1368781

User image

Champion
Yes you should deff have some recovery weeks in there. something to think about a well, make them fit your scheudle/life style. if an easy week every 3-4 weeks doesnt work, do it every 2, or whatever works best. there is no one magical formula, and even more so at this stage. consistancy is the key at this point, and getting the proper rest and recovery will go a long way in helping you meet your goals.

2008-04-29 11:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

Hello Dave and company. I would like to join up and learn some new stuff!

Name: Scott Meador

Serial number: None

Family Status: Married 2 years - no kiddos yet, so I just play with he nephew!

Short bio: For many years I allowed my weight to yo-yo. In January of 2007 my wife and I joined up with a programming at a local running store. I spent most of my time walking more than running, as I had not ran since college. We concentrated on 5ks with hill and track work.

In June 2007 I began my journey into Half-Marathons using a program from the same running store. Well, in December 2007 I finished by first half-mary @ the Dallas Whiterock. I have since completed two more and PRed in both!

At this point I began to get the itch to do a little more, since I love to swim and bike too. So, In January of this year I decided to train for my first Tri, which I completed on March 15th. I did my second triy this past weekend and had a blast.

My boss completed IMAZ a few weeks ago and now I see an ambitious goal for myself in doing the same race in 2010.

2008 Races:

St. Patricks Day Tri - Done

Old College Tri - Done

Lifetime Fitness Indoor Tri - May 18

Tumbleweed Tri - July 27

Tri The Rock - August 23

Hi-Fi Tri - October 25 - First OWS!

Dallas Whiterock Marathon - Begin training on June 14.

Weightloss: 50lbs since June 2007. 40-50 more to go.

2008-04-29 5:45 PM

User image

Fishers, IN
Is it best to have a wet suit when you start out? How do I begin this sport? How long should I work on my swimming before entering a sprint distance race?

Edited by rc63413 2008-04-29 5:52 PM
2008-04-29 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1370621

User image

Champion
the wetsuit is not needed, but will help in open water swims and if its cold. you can deff race without one and be fine, and plently of people do.

as far how far you should be able to swim. you want to know you can do the race distance in a pool before you race.

on the getting started front, get out and start training! if you are not already using them, get a good pair of well fitting running shoes from a running store, not a shoe store. go in and explain your situation, that you are starting out, and they will help you out.

start running a few days a week, or walk/running depending on fitness. dont go out and hammer, and dont go long. 15-20 min is a good start, and you should be able to talk the whole time. the goal here is to build it up, not trash you legs, same with biking, get out there and start doing it.

swimming wise, see if you can get someone to help you out there (someone at your pool).

as far as resources local to you, bike shops, local tri teams, things like this are a great place to look for training partners, and help with training.

let me know if you have more specific questions and i'll see what i can do for you!

thanks
2008-04-29 9:03 PM
in reply to: #1370756

User image

Fishers, IN
Thanks, I just got the go from my wife to buy a wet suit. Any specific advice as to brand? There are some good deals on the internet or should I go to a store. My other two sports are pretty solid for an age grouper, but I need all the help I can get on the swim. Is there a distance where the time getting in and out of the wet suit slows you down more than it helps you speed up in the water?

Edited by rc63413 2008-04-29 9:04 PM
2008-04-29 9:16 PM
in reply to: #1371026

User image

Champion
i would still wear one in a sprint race (but i am racing at the front, where the gains i get from the suit are deff more than it takes me to get off). if you were wearing one, practice getting it off. in a race under 800m i would not wear it. time gain wise you will see between 4-8 sec per 100, so whatever you are swimming, do the math and see where that puts you.

as far as picking one, absolutly go into a store and get fit. a cheap suit that fits you will make you happy, a top end suit that is one size off will make you hate swimming and possibly hurt you.

2008-04-29 10:07 PM
in reply to: #1368486

User image

New user

Subject: BREAKTHROUGH TODAY!!!!!

OK, I know this will seem minute to the more experienced athletes here but I breaststroked 2 laps tonight without huffing and puffing and I'm sure I could have cranked out a third.  (Previously I was huffing and puffing after just one lap)

I have been taking swimming technique lessons since late March and I'm sure I'll able to swim half the race distance by the end of the class in late May and I'm confident that I'll be able to swim 3/4 of the race distance by race day, and that's fine with me.                                     Just yesterday I was doubting I would finish the swim at all.

Thanks for the help so far David. I'm sure I'll have some more questions in the future

2008-04-29 10:18 PM
in reply to: #1370621

User image

New user

Subject: RE: wetsuit question

Hey Greg, 

I found an inexpensive wetsuit online @     www.123scuba.com   It is a Henderson 3mm front zip shorty. As with most things you get what you pay for so I don't expect a high quality suit but I don't want to be cold during the race and I can't practice in a suit that I rent that weekend so I think I'm gonna try out this Henderson and see what happens. It's less than $150, but I'd rather spend that and only use it a few times. Good luck. Let us know what you end up getting.

Mike

2008-04-29 10:35 PM
in reply to: #1369344

User image

New user

Subject: Scott is my H-E-R-O !

Ok, let me get this straight...6 Triathlons and let's throw in a marathon just for shiggles? 

God bless you Scott! That's awesome man! 

I fully expect to enjoy the triathlon experience and do more than one race next year but this year I want to make sure I can finish one first. 

What were your times/standings for the 2 Tri's you've already done? (Is that too personal a question?) What's an IMAZ? Did you run competitively in college?

I'm not sure about anyone else but I'd be interested in hearing how you do in your upcoming races also. Best of luck in your future races!

Mike

2008-04-29 10:45 PM

New user

auab

I am right with you guys on the wetsuit/ swim thing. I can run a 5k and I ride my mountain bike everywhere I need to go out here. I am trying to substitute riding in sand for hill work since there are no real hills here. I try to stay in high gear as much as possible especially riding into the wind.

Body glove has wetsuits for under $100.00. I am going to try to get one shipped out here so I can use it in the pool one day a week to be used to it. I know the lakes will be pretty chilly in Washington when I get back stateside. Do any of you have suggestions on what I should work on in the pool. I know my mechanics are shot, I haven't worried about anything like that since Freshman year of High School. That was 17 years ago. I emailed a rescue swimmer I know but haven't heard anything back so let me know what you think.

2008-04-30 7:18 AM

Hi David,

Hope you can still fit me in.  I've been running for 2 years (i'm one of the back of packers).  I started running to lose weight and lost 41 pounds but still have about 20 more to go.  I've done a 5k, three 10ks and one half.  

I live on a navy base in Japan that sponsored a sprint triathlon a few weeks ago and now it's all I can think about.  So I started Monday following one of the training plans here on BT.  I don't have a race that I am training for, just following a plan to see if I can get through it and do an indoor sprint triathlon on my own and hopefully drop these last 20 pounds.

I did my first swim today, which was my first time swimming in about 5 years and it almost killed me.  I had to alternate 100m breast stroke and 100m with a kick board.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot!!

Thanks

Brena

2008-04-30 7:33 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Just as a warning. The Henderson wetsuit and the Body Glove wetsuits are built for different purposes than triathlon swimming. These wetsuits are not built the same way. They will not have buoyancy panels (one of the major benefits of a wet suit) in the right areas for swimming. The arms will also be cut differently that will not be the most conducive to good swimming form as well.

Don't get me wrong you will still see some benefits from these wet-suits and they will supply some degree of buoyancy but before you blow your money make sure you are buying a product that you will want to use in the future v. buying something for right now.

For rentals check with your local racing company. They may have a discount through a sponsor or may be able to point you in a good local company.

I have never used a wetsuit... So I can't comment on fit. I have thought about pulling the trigger on buying one but have been putting money elsewhere recently and not into the sport... Damn you home projects!!!

If I want to finish higher I will definately need one in the future... but I have been happy with my MOP (middle of the pack) finishes. I am no where near as fast as David... and don't know if I ever will... or ever care to be... but I will definately rent a suit for my HIM (Half Iron Man) in August.

Oh and Mike, will see a lot of these abreviations on the site. Their is a Glossary that is listed below the TriTalk forum button that will help you out. As for your question to Scott, all the Ironman's are abbreviated in different ways.

IMAZ = Ironman Arizona
IMKY = Ironman Kentucky
IMOO/IMMOO/IMWI = Ironman Wisconsin
IMCdA/IMID = Ironman Coure d'Alene (Idaho)
IMLP = Ironman Lake Placid
IMFL = Ironman Florida

Edited by JChristoff 2008-04-30 7:37 AM
2008-04-30 9:34 AM
in reply to: #1371488

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey Guys,

Hoping there is still room..I'm on these darn forums everyday but somehow missed this until now ;-(

Here's my background: 31 yr. old professional from the Washington, DC area. I've done two half-marathons and have been training for my first full marathon (which is this Sunday) and my first two tri's since January. My first tri (a sprint) isn't until August but I'm a total newbie at both swimming and cycling so I wanted to give myself plenty of time for the inevitable setbacks I've faced and will continue to face. Overall training is going well and I feel good about my progress.

Also meant to add that I've lost about 30 pounds in the last year and am at a pretty comfortable weight for me. So, weight loss isn't my particular goal.

Anyway, would love to join...let me know if there is still room. Oh and thanks to Newbz for volunteering to mentor.

--Chris

Edited by Concretechris 2008-04-30 10:10 AM
2008-04-30 12:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD

Hi David (and everyone else). If you still have room I'd like to join this group too.

Name: Scott Moody

Family Status: Married (to a VERY supportive wife) with two greyhounds

Height/Weight: 6'5" / 203-207 lbs (fluctuating and not sure what to do about it)

Current Training: since December I've been training 6-7 days a week in all three disciplines for short distances. I try to hit each sport twice a week but life sometimes happens. Usually a 800m endurance workout on swim days, a 5-mile distance workout or 5k speed workout on run days, and a short individual ride or a 30-mile "A" group ride with my bike club on bike days. Will start marathon training at the end on June (prerequisite... comfortable 10 miles)

Past Races: General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon, several 5 and 10k's

2008 Races:

• (4/27) Port to Fort 6k - 27:30
  • (5/3) Smith Mountain Lake Sprint
  • (6/1) Cascade Lake Sprint
  • (7/27) New Jersey State Sprint
  • (8/17) Northeast Sprint
  • (9/7) Annapolis Olympic
  • (10/26) Marine Corp Marathon

Training/Performance Goals: Develop my swim technique. As of July 2007 I had never swam a lap in my life and I had to take adult swim lessons just to swim freestyle. I've come a long way but I can get a lot better. Incorporate more bricks into my training. Develop a moderate distance training plan for my first olympic distance tri. Just complete the marathon!

Background: I've always played team sports but this is the first individual sport I've attempted. I started smoking in college and got out of shape although I still managed to play lacrosse. I started coaching high school lacrosse after college and felt like a hypocrite so, with a lot of help from my wife, I successfully quit smoking on March 1, 2003. That year I completed a 50 mile walk for MS but injured my knee so I took up cycling. I completed four, 150 mile rides for MS and had just completed one when I ran into a buddy from college. Over a few drinks he told me about his training for the Chesapeake Ultra-Man and I marveled at that. WOW! I thought. I knew he had been running marathons for a couple years now but a triathlon and an Ironman no less? That's when he told me that there shorter distance triathlons called sprints. When I got home that night I signed up for my first sprint, rented my wetsuit and started training.

As I mentioned above, I had to sign up for adult BASIC swim lessons, which my wife generously signed up for as well so I would not feel silly. That was early July. By early August I was regularly swimming an 800 yard workout a couple times a week. Now it was time to focus on the run. I had a bum knee but received some advice on strengthening my hammies and it worked. My quads were stronger than my hammies due to the bike and once I started to balance that out I began to feel better. I went from a painful 1-mile run to running a 5k with ease. The bike was my strong point so I stayed steady with that and focused on the other two. It all paid off and I finished my firs tri last September. I trained for the middle of the pack based on the 2006 times but it was a faster field in 2007. Even though I finished in the bottom half, I finished, and I exceeded my goals. I even finished really close to the top half on the bike.

Needless to say... I'M HOOKED! I thanked my buddy on the way home from that race. This year I convinced another friend to do his first at SML this weekend. Can't wait.

That was a lengthy intro but I am looking forward to this mentor program, learning a ton, talking with others and working towards my 1st olympic tri and my first marathon.

Edited by shaggy28 2008-04-30 1:41 PM
2008-04-30 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1371026

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD

rc63413 - 2008-04-29 10:03 PM Thanks, I just got the go from my wife to buy a wet suit. Any specific advice as to brand? There are some good deals on the internet or should I go to a store. My other two sports are pretty solid for an age grouper, but I need all the help I can get on the swim. Is there a distance where the time getting in and out of the wet suit slows you down more than it helps you speed up in the water?

The store is going to get you the best fit but i did have a good online experience. 

I had a good experience with promotion (www.wetsuit.com ) and they offer a BT discount.  I speant days talking with them via email about which size of their suits would fit me best.  They very specifically asked me for my exact measurements and finally recommended the Large, Tall... not the one I would have picked from their sizing chart.  Sure enough it fits great.  They made sure I was taking real measurements and not just giving them my jacket and/or pant size.  

2008-04-30 2:29 PM
in reply to: #1371953

User image

Champion
welcome to everyone thats joined in the last day or so!

I'm looking forward to working with all of you this season and hope everyone has a great time.

start sending any questions you have my way and i'll see what i can do!

as a general note. i can help with swim workouts and stuff as much as you need, but i cant help fix a swim stroke from here:-)

thanks!

2008-04-30 2:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!!
I'll start with a question about pre and post race training. My first full marathon (A Race) is on Sunday and I've tapered for it by backing down my run volume over the last week and a half. However, I've pretty much kept my other training on par with my program. And after my race I fully expect to get right back on the bike and in the pool pretty quickly. So for you runners, how have you handled pre and post race tri training as you taper and recover for a mary?

Also, I know that tapering drives people crazy and am finally figuring out why. I'm finding it hard to focus on training now that I can't position it as a "do or die" situation to myself and I've even become a bit apathetic about it. Oh I'm still training but I don't normally have to get myself excited about it and this week getting on the bike and in the pool is certainly taking some extra effort. Anyone else ever feel this way?

Thanks, guys! I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and helping out when and where I can.

--Chris
2008-04-30 6:23 PM
in reply to: #1373080

User image

Fishers, IN
I just finished one last Monday. I've run a few of them (5) and have found that the best thing you can do is swim or get on the bike! Probably swim would be the best since the muscles are quite different. Fatigued muscles and tendons are particularly prone to injury after such races or at the end of the long runs. Depending on how hard you put it out during the race, but your aerobic system could probably use a break as well. Keep everything easy for a few days while you savor your accomplishment. I would imagine your lack of ambition in the tri training is because your focus, as it should be, is on the task immediately in from of you. Carb and hydrate up later in the week cause you'll need em come mile 18-20 and on. Hit the fluids early and regularly. My first marathon I really learned the value of hydration and carbohydrates. When your hamstrings etc don't cramp up due to bonking, you recover a lot faster as well - duh. Have an awesome race!
2008-04-30 7:49 PM
in reply to: #1373080

User image

Champion
the best thign you can do is listen to your body after the race. if you feel like working out, go for it. but do so in moderation, stop before you think you need too. its a very easy period to get hurt.

that being said, i have never run a full mary before, so others that have feel free to chime in.
2008-05-01 6:47 AM
in reply to: #1373742

User image

Fishers, IN
I ordered a new wetsuit. I don't know if it will be the best in the world, but the price was right for now $130 and hopefully it will be good enough for an introductory season at least. That is not a whole lot more than I pay for running shoes! It is an F2R suit. Newbz, I have been trying to pick out my first race. Around this area there are a number of sprints throughout the season, there is a half ironman in mid July (Muncie endurathon) and later in the summer surely I can find an olympic distance one. I doubt I can get my swimming into shape for the endurathon Half Ironman, though it is tempting to do it with completion being the only goal. Probably a better bet would be the Rain ride which is a 165 mile (fast - though "it's
not a race")ride across Indiana that I have done before, though if I do that it is easy for me to lose my swimming focus in preparation for that. Would you drop the mid July goal (endurathon or RAIN ride) and just focus on the sprints and a late summer Oly distance tri?

Currently I am very fit aerobically with respect to running and cycling. I really worked on my swimming in the fall of 2006 but haven't since. I just started swimming again after Boston. Currently I can swim the 50m pool in 1:10 without breaking form somewhat relaxed. I do not know how far I can go, but expect to make rapid advances w.r.t. swim endurance but am unsure about speed. Do you feel that 2.5 months of swimmimg four days a week will get me to a point where I can muddle through (even if I need to back stroke) a half ironman? Do you feel I should hold off on that and just shoot for a good Oly in the fall?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!! Rss Feed  

of 25