Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-06-19 5:14 PM
in reply to: #1476780

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: Jnowash's Group - CLOSED!

good luck on the racing this weekend everyone. Margot-- your first oly. woo-hoo. Should be fun.

Jen-I have no specific time for my 10K, just want to be in under an hour.

Have fun all of you. Hope you get to meet each other, too!  

2008-06-22 2:38 PM
in reply to: #1356403

New user

I'm getting a bike soon!!! Yeah!!!!

I've been looking at these two (within price range) and don't know much about bikes so I thought I'd ask here.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/nemesis06_SPECIALpre.htm (Motobecane Nemesis 2008) -- This one can get shipping directly to me, would probably have to pay a lbs $50 to put it together all the way (90% assembled)

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=5821&subcategory_ID=3040 (2008 Scattante T-560) -- This one I would have to drive 3 hrs to Phoenix to pick it up in a store, but then they'd do the fitting (I hear).

Thoughts? Does anyone use either of these bikes?

Edited by esnackpack 2008-06-22 2:39 PM
2008-06-22 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Haven't heard of those bikes. But i don't know much. I just bought a Quintana Roo Chicquilo yesterday. I saw it in an add it last months Triathlon Magazine and fell in love Its a women specific tri bike. After the Philly tri I stopped by a shop in Bryn Mawr and got fitted and apparently I should have the bike by this coming weekend. I am so psyched. My road bike is all right but this is SWEET!
2008-06-22 8:00 PM
in reply to: #1481231

User image

Master
Vista, CA
esnackpack - 2008-06-22 12:38 PM

I'm getting a bike soon!!! Yeah!!!!

I've been looking at these two (within price range) and don't know much about bikes so I thought I'd ask here.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/nemesis06_SPECIALpre... (Motobecane Nemesis 2008) -- This one can get shipping directly to me, would probably have to pay a lbs $50 to put it together all the way (90% assembled)

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=5821&subcategory_ID=3040 (2008 Scattante T-560) -- This one I would have to drive 3 hrs to Phoenix to pick it up in a store, but then they'd do the fitting (I hear).

Thoughts? Does anyone use either of these bikes?

Congrats on making the decision to buy a tri-bike. I don't know a whole lot, but I can pass along what I do know. Don't know these specific bikes, but looking at them online, the  Motobecane has better components than the performance. I've heard if you're going to buy a tri bike, to buy up as much as you can afford because the entry levels ones aren't that great. Also, I would highly recommend getting fitted by a bike shop or someone in the know. The other thing I would look into is getting one used by someone moving up to a higher end bike --- Craig's list or your local tri club. Just some thoughts.

Lesleyann-How was your tri?? Did you all get to meet? Details. And, btw -- your new ride sounds sweet, too.

2008-06-22 10:06 PM
in reply to: #1481896

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California

Some bike stores will let you rent or demo a bike for a weekend.

First olympic was a blast. Seriously considering Philadelphia Women's Tri because of the venue, terrific swimming in the river.

It was my dad's second olympic, included some pictures of my kids running across the finish with him.

I feel vindicated from Black Bear (I also posted the pictures of me and Lesley finally on the race report). 

2008-06-23 5:27 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Erin & Lesley - contrats on the new bikes! You're gonna love them! Erin, the best answer on which bike to get is - the one that fits you best. Is there any chance you can test ride either of these bikes beforehand? Or you could see if a bike shop (prefereably one familiar with tri bike fitting) will measure you and reccommend a frame size. For tri bikes, the top tube length is the key measurement. If they're equivalent, go for the one that gives you the best bang for the buck in terms of frame material, stock components, and wheels.

Margot - great job on your race! I think it's so cool that your dad was out there racing with you! I think I might have seen you in the finish line area, but I didn't realize it was you!

And now... for todays triathlon tip: Keep your eyes on the road, not on your bike computer.....

A lesson I learned the hard way duirng the Philly Tri, and which resulted in my first DNF. I had a pretty good swim, and I was having a great bike leg. I was wthin 1 mile of transition, cruising comfortably at 20+ mph on a nice straight stretch of road, and I decided to check how I was doing. I looked down at my computer and was scrolling through the stats. I looked up, and suddenly I was right on top of some poor unsuspecting woman who was going much slower than me. I was in my aerobars, and didn't have time to react and I plowed into the poor woman. We both went down and it ended the race for both of us. I was probably on my way to a pretty decent time (for me) in the race, but I mostly feel horrible for running someone else down on the bike... Thankfully, we were both okay asside from some road rash and bruises, and both of our bikes seemed to survive okay. I suspect she was a newcomer to triathlon. I hope I didn't scare her away from the sport altogether....

2008-06-23 7:50 AM

User image

Veteran
jenny: I was wondering what happened. That totally sucks but I guess if u are doing this long enough, eventually it will happen. Good to here both of u are ok. Must have been diapppinting though. Hang in there.

Erin: I do recommend a good fitting as well. The guy I went to took over an hour measuring me and had me in various contraptions to get a good fit. Then we picked the best bike for me based on those figures plus he may change some things out to customize to further but it didnt add any coat to the bike. I was impressed with his knowledge.

Margot: nice job! That is cool you dad was out there with you. Some 67 yr old man passed me out on Saturday and then was kidding around with me after words about it. He said I can't wait to tell my wife I apssed someone half my age. He was pretty cool!

I was impressed with the race to and can't wait for the other too. I am doing sherox and the cgi all women's race. All the other races I have done had much more difficult bike routes. This was pretty easy and fun. I believe your route for the Olympic had some hills though. My quads were really tight most of the bike though. I never had that happen before. Oh well.

I had really turned my ankle running on Thursday morning and it looked pretty bad but I was determined to do the race. I had no problem on the run. I did try to put an ankle brace on for the run bit when I got my shoe on it didnt feel good. So I readjusted it and then eventually took it off. I figured as long as I was on a smooth surface I was ok. I was most concerned about getting out of the water and walking up that sandy hill. I just walked that and walked in transition with my bike shoes so I didnt turn it. All was well. Fun race!

Lesley
2008-06-23 8:31 AM

New user
Well, I'll have the money to buy the bike June 1, and where I live doesn't have a lot of lbs options (I've seen a total of 2 tri bikes there). I did go to one store where he didn't have a lot of time and just had me stand on the bike to check clearance and he told me a 55 or 57, but then I went to another lbs where he at least had me sit on the bike and measured my hip/leg angle and told me I was a 54. So I'm more inclined to go with the guy who made 1 measurment. The 2 bikes I'm looking at I wouldn't have a chace to ride beforehand.
2008-06-23 8:50 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Well, frame sizes are not all the same across bike brands, and from road bike to tri bike... In one model, a 54 might be the right size, in another, it might be 56. Standing over the bike is not a way to judge the fit though, especially for a tri bike....

Try this fit calculator to get some general ideas on frame size: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

Look up the bikes your considering, and find a link that shows you the frame geometry. That will give you the measurements for all the frame parts (top tube, down tube, etc...) Again, top tube length is probably the measurement you want to try to get closest to perfect on.

Women tend to have proportionally shorter torsos then men the same height - so to get the correct reach - which is really important on a tri bike, we often need a smaller frame size then men the same height (assuming it's a mens or unisex frame). It may mean you'll need to raise the seat and possibly add some spacers to raise the handlebars, but you can sort that all out when you take the bike in to get assembled, and, hopefully, fit to you (go to the shop that did the actual measuring - not the one that just had you stand over the frame!!)

Good luck!
2008-06-23 8:57 AM
in reply to: #1482797

New user
Measurements
-------------------------------------------
Inseam: 33
Trunk: 24
Forearm: 12
Arm: 23
Thigh: 24
Lower Leg: 21.5
Sternal Notch: 57.5
Total Body Height: 59

The Aero Fit
-------------------------------------------
Top Tube Range: 50.3 - 52.3
Stem Length Range: 8.0 - 10.0
Saddle-Bottom Bracket Position: 75.4
Saddle-Pedal Position: 92.6
Saddle-Ground Position: 100.4
Cranklength: 170.0
Aero Bar Size: XS
Saddle-Aero Bar Pad Drop Minimal: 5.8
Saddle-Aero Bar Pad Drop Moderate: 11.1
Saddle-Aero Bar Pad Drop Intense: 13.4
Saddle-Aero Bar Pad Drop Maximal: 17.1
Pad-Ground Position Minimal: 94.6
Pad-Ground Position Moderate: 89.3
Pad-Ground Position Intense: 87.0
Pad-Ground Position Maximal: 83.3

I don't really understand the specs, but here there are:

Copy paste didn't work -- here's the link: http://motobecane.com/nem_geometry.html/>

Edited by esnackpack 2008-06-23 9:01 AM
2008-06-23 12:15 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Well, in my decidedly non-expert opinion, I think it looks like the Nemesis 49 cm bike or Scattante 51 cm bike would fit best as a tri bike. If it's a good tri bike at a decent cost you're looking for, you could also check out this thread about a sale Javelin has been having on some closeout bikes:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I'm not sure how much of a selection they have left, but I think it's worth checking out. These seem like amazing deals to me!

You might also try posting your measurements and bikes your considering on the triathlon talk or gear fourms, where you might get some responses from people who know more about bike fitting than I do....

Edited by jsnowash 2008-06-23 12:17 PM

2008-06-23 12:18 PM

New user
Hmmm....49 sounds small for a bike when one guy told me as high as 57! I know for the Javelin bikes the biggest they have left is 51...which some people have told me is too small. I'll try posting on a different forum....thanks!!!
2008-06-23 1:17 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
How tall are you, Erin? I'm just a hair under 5' 9", and I ride a QR Seduza small frame, which is 44 cm. I had to have a different stem put on it to get the fit just right, but it's perfect for me. My road bike, which is a women's specific frame, is 54 cm - so you see there can be a huge variation in size between road and tri bike and brand to brand.
2008-06-23 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1483723

New user
I am also 5'9 which is why I thought I was about a 54. 33inch inseam about.
2008-06-23 2:17 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Well, for a triathlon bike, inseam is not really the critical measurement... The measurement you REALLY want to try to match for a good tri bike fit is this one:

Top Tube Range: 50.3 - 52.3

Which is why I suggested the Nemesis 49 cm bike, with a top tube length of 515 mm (51.5 cm) or the Scattante 51 cm bike, with a top tube length of 517 mm (51.7 cm). Those are pretty close for top tube length. You could maybe go to a 52 cm Nemesis, with a 521 mm top tube, but for a tri bike, I would rather err on the side of having the top tube a little too short than a little too long. You can always add a slightly longer stem to lengthen your "cockpit", but there's no way to shorten it if the top tube is too long. If you get a frame that's too big, you'll be too stretched out in aero position.

This site is a little technical to read through, but there are some good photos showing what a really good aero position looks like. http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit06.html

Note how the rider's elbows are almost directly beneath his shoulders. That's what you're ultimately going for. If the top tube is too long, you can't get to that position. That's why tri bike frames are often a smaller size than road bike frames.

Hope that helps a little bit, and that you get some more opinions from some of the other forums. I know it's a frustrating process. I went through the same thing when I was buying my tri bike - but at least I had good LBS options with some really good tri bike fitters to help guide me!!
2008-06-23 2:58 PM

New user
I should have the money handy to buy a bike on July 1, so I want to buy asap so I can ride it! I am out of town this week for work so maybe I'll see if I can get some advice from a LBS here...

2008-06-23 3:45 PM
in reply to: #1484097

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Wanted to pass on this website. You can put a name in the search engine and find all your races, or at least many. My son's name is here too because of his track events.

Sorry if the link doesn't work and you have to cut and paste.

http://www.athlinks.com/BrowseAff.aspx

Edited by lmscozz 2008-06-23 3:49 PM
2008-06-23 6:36 PM
in reply to: #1482541

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California

Jenny, I'm relieved you're ok, despite the bruises and frustration. I came up fast on a couple of folks . . . uphill, downhill, flats, you name it, plus there were a number of blind curves.

I had such a great time that I registered for cgi's women's tri on July 13th this morning. I regret not re-looking up your race number the night before so we could meet. Lesley's in that one as well, so maybe we can get a photo op at the finish.

Good luck in getting your tri bike Erin. I held my breath when they raffled off a $4,000 tri bike at the end of the Philly race, but alas it was not meant to be. Any chance you're taking a vacation anytime soon somewhere where there are more tri bikes to demo? 

2008-06-23 7:33 PM

User image

Eastern PA
Wow! Everyone is psyching me up to register for the SheRox tri which is the same organizers and course (mostly) as this past weekend's. Can't do the July 13th one since I am driving my son to Penn State Jazz Band camp.
Great job everyone at the Philly Tri! I caught the very end of the run on Sunday during a bike ride and it was a very impressive event!
Jenny-Sorry to hear about your crash. That must've been disappointing to have to quit after getting so far. Glad you and the bike are OK!
Leticia
2008-06-23 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1481702

User image

Eastern PA
lesleyann - 2008-06-22 7:23 PM

Haven't heard of those bikes. But i don't know much. I just bought a Quintana Roo Chicquilo yesterday. I saw it in an add it last months Triathlon Magazine and fell in love Its a women specific tri bike. After the Philly tri I stopped by a shop in Bryn Mawr and got fitted and apparently I should have the bike by this coming weekend. I am so psyched. My road bike is all right but this is SWEET!

Lesley-
That is so exciting! Congratulations on your new ride! I checked it out and that is one outstanding looking bike! Maybe I'll be able to find you at a tri now. lol.
Enjoy!!! Betcha can't wait to get it!
Leticia
2008-06-23 10:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee

Jenny, I hate to hear about your DNF.  No option to pick the bike up and carry it the last mile?

I had a near miss on my duathlon last week.  The bike portion started on the greenway which ran along the bank of the river.  I was overtaking a slower rider when I noticed a water bottle on the path.  I decided to wait until we cleared the bottle but the slower rider must have though "Woo hoo, a free bottle" and threw her brakes on in front of me.  No fun.

2008-06-23 11:23 PM
in reply to: #1485247

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Jenny -- Glad you are all right, bummed for you about the crash. You have a great attitude though!

Seems like you all are buying new bikes -- very cool. I'll be able to pick your brains regarding which tri bike to get when it's my turn.

So, Leticia -- you won't be able to do the Sherox? 

2008-06-24 4:44 AM
in reply to: #1485247

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
pole_dancer - 2008-06-23 10:36 PM

Jenny, I hate to hear about your DNF.  No option to pick the bike up and carry it the last mile?

I had a near miss on my duathlon last week.  The bike portion started on the greenway which ran along the bank of the river.  I was overtaking a slower rider when I noticed a water bottle on the path.  I decided to wait until we cleared the bottle but the slower rider must have though "Woo hoo, a free bottle" and threw her brakes on in front of me.  No fun.

Actually, I made it back to transition on the bike just fine, and was intending to finish the race, but after a couple hundred feet, I was hurting pretty bad and decided it just wasn't worth it, so I dropped out and headed for the med tent... A good decision... My back wasn't hurting at first, but it has really tightened up since. I probably would have set myself back much further, recovery-wise, had I attempted to finish the run.

Glad you weren't checking YOUR computer when that rider threw on her brakes in front of you! Good job avoiding the near miss!!
2008-06-24 4:55 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I just checked the IM CDA results... A friend of my brother's was racing there this year. He had a GREAT race - sub 12:00, with a sub-4:00 marathon! Holy cow! I would love to be able to run a sub-4:00 marathon fresh! Can you imagine racing for 12 (or for many people, more) hours? Those IM people are amazing.... maybe someday....
2008-06-24 5:15 AM
in reply to: #1483508

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
esnackpack - 2008-06-23 12:18 PM

Hmmm....49 sounds small for a bike when one guy told me as high as 57! I know for the Javelin bikes the biggest they have left is 51...which some people have told me is too small. :( I'll try posting on a different forum....thanks!!!

Hey, Erin -

Do you know which bike they have in a 51? I was just checking the Javelin bike geometry (you can see it here: http://www.brittonbikes.com/bikes-2008/javelin/06-javelin-geo.htm)

It looks to me like the Narni/Varese 51 cm bike might fit, but it has 650 cc wheels, which some people don't like... The Sizano 51 cm frame has a 53 cm top tube - which might be a tad on the long side if your measurements are right, the 47 cm frame might work, too. It couldn't hurt to call the guys at Javelin, give them your measurements, and see what they think (it also can't hurt to double-check your measurements, or have someone help you take them to make sure you're measuring accurately)... Seems most people have been pretty satisfied with their recommendations...

Edited by jsnowash 2008-06-24 5:16 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jnowash's Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 15