Set-Up, Inc.
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 05m 8s
Overall Rank = 391/773
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 76/120
Pre-race routine:

Traveled to race on friday with Eric (medic0200). Went for a quick swim in the lake, met up with friends, pre-race meeting, pasta dinner at the church and then bed. Me, Eric and Keith (kapinto) shared a lodge room that was smaller than I thought it would be. There were only 2 beds instead of 3, but I caught Keith before he left the house and he brought an air mattress. We were all pretty comfortable I think and slept really well.
Event warmup:

Woke up at 3 and started looking at my watch every 10 minutes or so. Finally got out of bed at 5, slugged some OJ and ate a banana and some PBJ bread. Set up transition and started to fight the nausea. I walked back and forth from our room to TA a few times and talked to people that I knew. Finally got into the wetsuit and hit the lake for a quick warm-up.
Swim
  • 40m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I love this lake. I felt really strong and confident for the swim and hated to see the dock arrive. I could have pushed harder but I figured it was going to be a long day and I didn't know how much I would need at the end of it. This is the only goal that I hit.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better. I zone out and forget to sight and discover I'm 20-30yds off course.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

This was a long run from the lake to TA. Luckily my rack was at the bike exit so I didn't have to run it w/ my bike. I was a bit wobbly getting the wetsuit off and into my shoes but overall i'm pleased.

nothing
Bike
  • 3h 09m 10s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Missed my bike goal by 9:10. The first half was strong and I was averaging over 20mph. The wind picked up on the second half and I started steadily dropping speed. I had to stop once to pee (there's 1 minute). I tried to eat regularly but I need to work on that. I also need to drink more to prepare for the run (that would come back to bite me in the ass later). For as little time as I've spent training, especially the bike, over the last couple months, I'll live with it.

Train. I think that if I get back to training and pick up a tri bike I'll see some drastic improvements before Beach2Battle.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Again, I was right at the bike entrance so I crossed the mat and racked my bike. Swapped shoes, took 3 ecaps, 2 ibuprofen and I was gone. Long run to the other side of the TA and the mats.

nothing
Run
  • 2h 11m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt better than I thought I should heading out of the TA. I started to cramp up a bit and had to slow my pace to try and ease it out. I was really glad to get around a bunch of people as the bike was a bit lonely. I took advantage of most of the aid stations using cold towels, ecaps, water etc. I took a hit of Heed at one and almost threw up, I had to walk a minute to get my tummy under control. I kept an eye out for fellow QCTCers and BTers and sometimes just drifted into space. The sun was brutal on parts of it and I never thought to put sunscreen on. The last 3.5 miles were tough. I was getting dehydrated and tried to balance water intake against cramping up. My goal was 2:00 (which was my 13mi run by itself) and I missed it by 12mins. Again, I'll take it without too much complaining since a slacked off on the training.

train
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the line and felt like I was going to fall into Davis and Tommy. I dumped a bottle of cold water on my head and started to drink lots of water and powerade. I was pretty woozy and a bit nauseas at the end. Tried to eat a bit but couldn't until later. I sat in the lake for a few minutes trying to cool my body down then walked around a bit to stretch out. Hit the shower, cleaned up and went to root on the other finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and inexperience with pacing and nutrition for this distance.

Event comments:

This is by far to best race I have done so far. I really loved the FFA site, White Lake itself and the fact that it's pretty darn flat. I'm really glad that I did this race. My overall goal was 6 hours, so I only missed it by 5mins. Big shout-out to Alice (love2tri)for not letting me back out of this one. We all missed you out there.

Last updated: 2008-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:26 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 57/120
Overall: 0/773
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction John
Course: Triangle?
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:09:10 | 56 miles | 17.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 94/120
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Mostly flat with some gradual inclines
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:11:56 | 13.1 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 64/120
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back 2 loop course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-04 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: White Lake Half

2008-05-05 4:03 PM
in reply to: #1381249

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: White Lake Half
Nice Job Half Iron Foots!!   You and Eric did us proud man!!   I can only imagine what that run must have felt like - I ran Cooper a few weeks back and that was a 10k and that was all I did and I was whooped - you did that plus the swim and the bike - that's a major accomplishment!! 
2008-05-05 4:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Congrats on a great race.    Funny how you plunge yourself into a lake that you had to wear a wetsuit in earlier.
2008-05-05 7:04 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Great race Keith--you'd have really been a monster out there if you had been training hard.  Expecting big things from you at B2B
2008-05-06 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Nice race. sorry I missed you there. Now you know what to expect from B2B, it will be easier.
Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half Rss Feed