Team Vitesse
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 29s
Overall Rank = 60/130
Age Group = CAT 5
Age Group Rank = 10/24
Pre-race routine:

Drove to South Mountain after setting my bike up with my race wheels (I have a 12-25 on them while my training rear wheel has a 12-23). Also took my aero bottle off... removed my seat bag... and removed the seat tube box. (it is not a bento)
Event warmup:

Rode from the car to the start and back twice also rode a little on San Juan road.
Bike
  • 24m 29s
  • 5.5 miles
  • 13.48 mile/hr
Comments:

This was fun. I have ridden up the mountain before but have never raced up it. Racing brings some extra pain. I started out really well and rode well the whole way. I wasn't sure what kind of time I would get and I am quite pleased with it. Especially since I was riding a 42 chain ring with a 12-25. I think there was only 1 other tri bike out there.

As I rode up the mountain, I started to see some people in the distance riding. They guy ahead of me had a 1 minute head start. We were going off in intervals but they had a 1 minute gap because the guy ahead of me was not there. (they let everyone go in 30 second intervals).

About 1/2 way up as I thought I was still gaining on the guy ahead of me, 2 guys from behind came blowing by. They were really moving. I kept grinding and then could see the guy that started ahead of me again. There turned out to be 2 there. I finally caught them with about 1/2 mile to go. I rode hard and into the finish squinting one eye that was filled with salt as I went by a photographer.
What would you do differently?:

Well... a road bike with some better gearing options... but you have to do with that which you have and I did well.
Post race
Warm down:

Watched LaVerne and Kevin finish the rode back down to the car... went to the post race festivities at Spokes. Chorizo and eggs... yum.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hill and my TT setup... not a hill climbing machine but I sure to attack the hills.

Event comments:

This was my first "bike" race and it was fun. The crowd was different as it was a road cyclist crowd. I had a lot of fun punishing myself as I pushed it up the hill.

Punish = reward :)

Last updated: 2008-05-09 12:00 AM
Biking
00:24:29 | 05.5 miles | 13.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/24
Overall: 24/130
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: From San Juan road up to the radio towers on the top of South Mountain.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-10 1:55 PM

User image

Mesa
Subject: South Mountain TT

2008-05-10 11:41 PM
in reply to: #1394097

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Subject: RE: South Mountain TT
NIIICE work top 50% in your first TT on a tri bike is super. PLUS it takes juevos to sign up for that one, its one HELL of a hill. WAY TO GO!!
2008-05-11 2:39 PM
in reply to: #1394097

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: South Mountain TT
Nice ride Andy!  Looks like it was a blast.  Uphill is a tough TT I bet!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Mountain TT Rss Feed