General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Your gym/workout place busy right now? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-01-05 8:24 PM
in reply to: #99382

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Subject: RE: Your gym/workout place busy right now?
I completely agree, just stay off of my babe watching treadmill....

2005-01-05 8:25 PM
in reply to: #99382

Master
Colorado
Fine. Then I wont hassle the 2 people who will actually stick with it. As for the rest of them... the sooner they are gone, the better...
2005-01-05 8:59 PM
in reply to: #99283

Extreme Veteran
As has been touched on, I'm thrilled to see so many working out in January and I always hope they find some way to keep it up to June and beyond. I live in a warm weather place so most of my workouts aren't affected by a surge in gym membership. Regardless, if I can share a swim lane or show them how to work in a weight machine workout with me, I'm there. I, too, started working out 6 years ago during January and I still remember the kindess many members showed me when I arrived clueless and out of shape.

If they drop out this year, I always hope that next year is the glue for them that keeps them coming back. Shrug. Just me. We all start somewhere.
2005-01-05 9:05 PM

Master
Colorado
My above post is supposed to be sarcastic, just incase it didn't come across that way...
2005-01-05 9:07 PM

Yes, the new years resolutioners will die off in the next few weeks to come....thank goodness! What sux is the lap pool being packed with people that are not lap swimming,... :-(
2005-01-05 9:49 PM

Sycamore, IL
I love how this site is called beginnertriathlete, yet no one seems to recall being a beginner. At one point weren't we all the new
people at the gym or pool. It's no wonder people stop coming to the fitness center if they meet such narcissistic people.

2005-01-05 10:11 PM

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ
I joined my gym last year right after New Year's Day, but the funny thing was it had nothing to do with a resolution. I was just sick of the weather and needed a pool.

Then I got this funny idea in my head that I should set a goal. Training for my 1st triathalon kept me going through June. I found a Tri group at the gym which kept my intrest through the summer, and now keeping a proper periodization schedule is keeping me. At least that's my latest excuse

So at what point does the addiction kick in?
2005-01-05 10:46 PM
in reply to: #99438

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
First of all, narcissism gets a bum rap.  I'm my own best friend.  In fact, you could drop me on an island with a keg, a few books and a bottle of lubraderm and I would be just toasty....

In all seriousness, it is not the "new" people that I, at least, am bemoaning.  I have taken many first timers, lapsed athletes and "I'm so embarrased to go" people to the gym with me, sometimes on my own dime.  I love someone trying to make a change in their life, no matter what stage of fitness they are in, and encourage it whenever I can (and I'm not exactly what you would call a hard body).

Still, the comments/complaints of people sitting in a pool lane chatting, sitting on a machine for 20 minutes and not doing 5 reps, and TAKING AND HOGING MY BABE WATCHING TREADMILLS are valid.  I realize the self conscious feeling newcomers have and have felt it to some degree myself, and I also understand the touchy nature of complaining about the resolutionists, but don't be so touchy.  This is by far the best site in existance for motivation, education and community.  Hands down.  Most of us would gladly mentor any resolutionist with half a nudge.  That doesn't mean I have to like parking two buildings down or missing a couple circuits because people would not get off the machines.  Take it as it was meant (at least from most of us) just a vent about something that happens every January and then goes away in a month.

For me, I didn't mean to put anyone down, but you have no idea how much it sucks running 32 laps on the dreadmill looking at a wall.
2005-01-05 11:07 PM

Sycamore, IL
A couple things:

"First of all, narcissism gets a bum rap"
----
I guess it gets a bum rap if you are content only thinking of yourself

Interest, often excessive interest, in one's one appearance, comfort, importance, abilities, etc
Webster's New World College Dictionary, Fourth Edition, 2002

"This is by far the best site in existance for motivation, education and community. "
----
I'm not arguing this, I completely agree. That's why I come to the site.

"but you have no idea how much it sucks running 32 laps on the dreadmill looking at a wall."
----
Actually I do
2005-01-05 11:38 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Touchy, touchy. Wow, now we're not even allowed to complain???? Oh come on we know that every January people flock to the gym for whatever reason and by March they flee. It's as sure as the sky is blue. I used to be one of those people. I just couldn't stay motivated until I made a goal of doing a triathlon.

So how about a compromise - new triathletes we like, lollygaggers we don't!

I went to do my speed workout today in the pool and I kid you not there was this guy in the middle of the far lane, stretched out sideways his arms on the lane divider. He was just lying there pushing the lane divider away from him. The poor guy swimming in the next lane had to swim around. I mean come on, if you're not going to workout seriously at least be courteous to people who do.

I don't have much patience for lollygaggers in any venue. If you're going to gym hop on the treadmill do your 30 minutes and get off.

And the worse are the Chatty Kathys. I'm in spin class, doing a hell of a ride and I hear Betty Sue back there talking to her gal pal about the movie she saw last night. I mean c'mon call her on the telephone don't mess with my cadence. Geez.

So if that sounds egotistic I'm sorry but get your stuff together please. You don't have to be Lance Armstrong to go to the gym but at least get some organization or something. I mean what does your house look like? Is your brain that scattered? How can you start going to the gym without a plan? Don't you know without a plan you'll never stick to it and you'll just get in theway?

2005-01-05 11:40 PM
in reply to: #99472

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

Well, I guess I should explain that I was joking about the narcissism, though that should have been obvious.  As to your quotes, I'm not sure what your point is  other than you can read what I, and webster, wrote.

Don't take yourself so seriously, Webster.   

2005-01-05 11:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Info, I don't quite get what you mean. I honestly don't. If people aren't up to your standards, they aren't allowed there? Huh?

Perhaps the dude just hanging around just swam his first ever 50 yds without drowning. Haven't we all been there?

Y'all are freaking me out. So much for a beginner bias on this message board.
2005-01-06 12:10 AM
in reply to: #99311

User image

Veteran
Illinois
COgirl - 2005-01-05 3:47 PM

Maybe we could each take one person under our wing and help them to achieve completing a triathlon this year?

I'm totally for this... in fact, I've gotten a whole group of my friends to run the Shamrock Shuffle with me in April [Chicago]... these are people that were convinced I was a psycho for doing these things. Patience is a virtue, but well worth it in this case.

AND yes, the gyms are busier than normal, but i'm all about knowing how to share, especially the pool lanes. I used to be in a masters swim club and we learned how to share... we had about 5-6 people in one lane. So, now, the more the merrier... it's great preperation for indoor tri racing [ok and the lake swimming too]. somehow these newbies have to learn and if we don't teach them, how will they be enlightened.

ok, that's my two cents [can be worth more with inflation, or less if converted to the British Silver Sterling]

2005-01-06 12:17 AM
in reply to: #99495

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

Damn it, all I want is a treadmill with a view!!!!!!! Is it so bad to complain about not getting a good spot on the babemill?  C'mon people, I think some are taking this thread way to seriously.  If it will help, though, I will say that I am sorry if I offended anyone (except Webster). 

Don't make me write an ode, cuz I'll do it.

2005-01-06 7:17 AM

Master
Colorado
That's it. I'm going to skip my workout today and just point and laugh at those who don't know what they are doing. Maybe I'll bring one of those books of fat jokes with me too. That ought to drive em off.
2005-01-06 7:19 AM

Master
Colorado

• Some of y'all are taking this WAY too seriously

2005-01-06 7:30 AM
    in reply to: #99484

User image

Resident Matriarch
    N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
    tmwelshy - 2005-01-05 11:40 PM

Well, I guess I should explain that I was joking about the narcissism, though that should have been obvious. As to your quotes, I'm not sure what your point is other than you can read what I, and webster, wrote.

Don't take yourself so seriously, Webster.

some just need to learn your humor Welshy.  Personally I think you need to spend MORE time looking at that wall!    Think of some odes while you're doing that!
    2005-01-06 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Chicago, Il

I think what a lot of it comes down to is the fact that common courtesy is severely lacking in most areas these days. I'm perfectly happy (well not perfectly, but close) to share a lane in the pool or a machine at the gym as long as the other people involved are aware of being kind and aware of each other. The slow person in the pool lane who doesn't let me pass just annoys me. When I can, I kindly ask if I can jump ahead of them, and they always let me, but common sense should prevail. I wish more people worked out consistently; maybe they'd be in better moods!
    2005-01-06 10:04 AM
    in reply to: #99544

User image

Got Wahoo?
    San Antonio
    "some just need to learn your humor Welshy.  Personally I think you need to spend MORE time looking at that wall!    Think of some odes while you're doing that!"

There are more than enough walls in my life, Garyellendana, and spending more time looking at them can get a little too uncomfortable.  And while introspection is something I'm long accustomed to, staring at the sun for too long can be dangerous. 

Besides, the babemill keeps my fires lit.  The wall mill is to the babemill as the 10 hour drive to El Paso from Houston is to a Sunday drive through the pacific northwest.  Desolate to beautiful.  Dan't jack with my babemill, Garyellendana, it is the only thing that makes the dreadmill edible.

By the way, sexy undies....
    2005-01-06 10:39 AM

Sycamore, IL
    tmwelshy, I hope all is good, I didn't mean for any in fighting. Just my $.02
    Have a good day!
    2005-01-06 10:56 AM
    in reply to: #99638

User image

Got Wahoo?
    San Antonio
    You too, Greg.  I'm just jacking around.  As Ellen said, my humor is an aquired taste and far too often I am the only one who finds it funny (perhaps I'm narsisstic after all?)

I think there must have been something in the water yesterday.  Very atypical for this site.

2005-01-06 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Plant City, Florida
    the funny thing is you just have to have eye candy (thank goodness for my wife)....the gym on the other hand is as others have said will be cleared out in a month....have you ever noticed that Mondays are much busier than fridays....people are so weird.....
    2005-01-06 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
    Columbia, MO
    My company started a wellness program December 1. Our Gym(2 treadmills, a recumbant, eliptical, swiss ball, universal, 2 free weight benches(1 std, 1 oly) a Total Gym, a dumbell rack and bands) had 4x it's normal users for about 2 weeks...now it's a ghost town again except for the regulars.

I don't mind people who are there to work, but it's the social chatty cathy's who drive me nuts. If you're there to work out, great, I'll support you til the day you want to quit, even if you are doing point 5 mph on the treadmill with no incline. But if you're just going to use the equipment as a place to sit and have social hour, that's when I start to have a problem, that and the people who are working out in their work clothes and walking on the mill in dress shoes.

Edited by bsjracing 2005-01-06 11:20 AM
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Your gym/workout place busy right now? Rss Feed  

of 2