General Discussion Race Reports! » The Great Ocean Road Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Great Ocean Road Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Apollo Bay, Victoria
Australia
Caribou Publications
12C / 54F
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 30m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Headed to Skenes Creek on Friday night so we could make the most of Saturday lounging about, reading the papers, drinking coffee, keeping warm by the fire etc etc. The thought of actually racing was a scary thought, particularly because the rain did not stop all Saturday.
Event warmup:

Thankfully the rain had stopped on Sunday morning. Up at 5:30 to eat and be on the bus at Apollo Bay by 6:15, or more so stand around in the cold for 15min while we waited for the bus to drive us to Kennett River. Then there was another hour of standing around. Laura and I were ready to race, Liane just wanted to go home.
Run
  • 2h 30m 25s
  • 23 kms
  • 06m 32s  min/km
Comments:

The run as per usual is rather breath-taking, but the number of hills might have something to do with that. Lots of people on the course, some koalas, plenty of rain, then finally a rainbow & some sunshine.

A 23 sec PB. I was a little disappointed. I was aiming for sub 2:30 for the 23km. I thought I'd run stronger than my 2006 effort. I was put off a little that my HRM said I'd run 21 km in 2:09:xx and that was at the 20km marker. At 10km it was right on track! At the official 21.1km I crossed the line at 2:17:xx which I'll take. My watch said I'd run 24km for the day rather than 23km, so some calibration is required.

Anyway it seems I'm not that much stronger than 2 years ago. But then I can't say I've been training properly since IM!
What would you do differently?:

Training might help. Training on hills would probably help more!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Talent & training.

Last updated: 2008-04-27 12:00 AM
Running
02:30:25 | 23 kms | 06m 32s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Hilly/undulating along a stunning coastline.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-20 6:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: The Great Ocean Road Half Marathon

2008-05-22 11:03 PM
in reply to: #1414894

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: RE: The Great Ocean Road Half Marathon

wow seriously Koala's on the course?  thats pretty cool. 

don't be so hard on yourself.  I am super impressed that you can manage a half marathon so soon after your Ironman!  thats an awesome effort and you need to remember how much you put your body through doing the Ironman and training.

so to do a pb or similar time to last time with little training is fabulous! 

I've been told you'll notice benefits of doing the Ironman and having that base training in about 6 months thats when you can expect to be able to go faster at thigns if you keep up the training (unfortuantely for me I haven't noticed coz I've lost my base with stupid injuries)

2008-05-23 2:52 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
This sounds like a nice run, although I don't know how much I'd be paying attention to the views if I was running up and down hills for 23kms!!!   Well done on completeting this so soon after Ironman
2008-05-23 8:16 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Great job! When my wife and I were in Melbourne a few years ago, we drove the Great Ocean Rd. We pulled off at a waterfall and while hiking up to it found a mother Koals and her baby in a tree right above the path! It was so special.
2008-05-26 7:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

WELL DONE CASIE!!!!   

Glad you took the time to watch the wildlife as well.  Hee hee.   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Great Ocean Road Half Marathon Rss Feed