United States
Piranha Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 31s
Overall Rank = 49/203
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/13
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30 to eat and pack up the car. Left at around 4:30 for the hour drive which was pretty uneventful. Got on site around 5:20ish and there were already a number of cars there with people in varying stages of prep. I got my bike pumped, checked over it and we moved my stuff to transition. I set up my stuff a couple of different ways but finally got it pretty organized and after a double check I pretty much just hung out and chitchatted with other racers and Lisa. Around 6:30 I put on my wetsuit and listened to the pre-race meeting which didn't really cover anything new or that hadn't been covered on Saturday. After that I headed down to water...
Event warmup:

Not much...just some stretching as I got ready and putting on my wetsuit was plenty.
Swim
  • 11m 30s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

Once at the water, I dropped off my shoes (which I planned on using for the 320 yard run to transition) and got in the water to warm up. The suit felt good, the water wasn't that bad and I was ready to roll. After a few minutes they had us swim out and tread water for a few minutes before taking off...I got bumped here and there but found some space pretty quickly. I had to slow down a couple of times to get out of the way and when it was clear I picked the pace right back up. Sighted pretty well too...before I knew it, I was making the final turn and hauling ass home.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing except draft better and site a little better. I probably cost my self a little time because I was wide on the first buoy...
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Came out of the water a bit early but I was just happy to be standing up ;-) Ran through to transition (shoeless, I just didn't want to slow down to slide on shoes). I will say that this is definitely not a "fast" course...the transition is 300+ yards uphill, through grass and mud...yeah, not as much fun as it sounds! Made it into transition and the suit came off easily. Helmet on, gear on and out in what felt like pretty good time (not sure yet, times aren't posted).

Good but I need to work on mounting bike at speed...otherwise I think I did as well as I can expect considering it was my first ever OWS and first swim with a wetsuit.
Bike
  • 51m 15s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was very hilly but a good ride. I passed some folks on the uphills but got killed by all the tri bikes on the downhills. I tried to not go out too hard but the adrenaline was pumping so I'm sure I went out harder than I should have. After a very hilly first half, the last 5-7 miles were great...mostly downhill on small country roads and before I knew it I was back on site. Also, took one gel about 10-15 minutes in and drank a few times (probably could have drank more). Into the dismount line pretty clean but slow...need to work on that a lot.

Just need to get stronger on the bike...I did a good job on the uphills and passed a few people. But I lost ground on the downhills as I was passed by a bunch of people on tri bikes in aero. So, all I need to do is put a lot more time in the saddle and upgrade my bike...
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Transition 2 was fine...in, rack my bike and change gear. Nothing major to report but could have likely moved a bit faster.

Not much except work on my dismount...
Run
  • 23m 23s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was hard. It started with two very steep downhills that didn't feel too good. Once you got through that it wasn't bad...two loops of a pretty flat out and back. The first loop felt pretty hellish but I was in much better shape on the final loop...turned the corner to head to the finish and had to run up two brutal hills to make it. I did it though and ran the whole way. And wow, my time was way faster than it felt like...not sure how that is possible but if it is, then wow I was running way faster than I thought.

More bricks...but overall a great run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, stretched and ate...also saw some friends and hung out with Lisa until I was ready to pack up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My base is still pretty infantile...just need to continue to slowly build my run, bike and swim base and work on some speed. Also, need to do more hills on the bike...I didn't handle them as well as I'd like to...

Event comments:

Good race and pretty well organized. However, there weren't a lot of volunteers out and there weren't many aide stations on the run. The post-race activities were well organized but nothing too grand. But there was plenty of food...

Last updated: 2008-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:30 | 500 meters | 02m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 67/203
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Triangular, out to the right, across the lake and then back to shore. Murky water but not too bad...Time also included a 320 yard run to the transition area...
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:15 | 15 miles | 17.56 mile/hr
Overall: 49/203
Wind: Little
Course: Some tough hills but also some good long downhills...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:23 | 03.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 55/203
Course: Down two steep hills and then two loop of a pretty flat country road, then back up those same damn hills to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-01 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Cascade Lake Triathlon & Duathlon

2008-06-01 1:28 PM
in reply to: #1436380

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD
Subject: RE: Cascade Lake Triathlon & Duathlon
Nice write-up.  It was an interesting course at that.  You had great splits all around and your T-times are excellent.   Sounds like you had fun too!
2008-06-01 8:53 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Good race Chris.

2008-06-01 9:09 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Great job on the race. Hooked yet?
2008-06-03 12:50 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Great job on your first triathlon!  Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cascade Lake Triathlon & Duathlon Rss Feed