World Triathlon Corporation
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 38m 22s
Overall Rank = 387/
Age Group = M 35-59
Age Group Rank = 80/
Pre-race routine:

I had to drive 5 hrs to get to Boise. This was a split transition race and had to set-up T1 with everything including the bike, then set-up T2 with all my run stuff. Had to get up at 3am in order to get to a 4:15 shuttle. It was early, but it wasn't too bad.
I all but fell asleep sitting upright on the shuttle to the lake where the swim and T1 were. Once we got to T1, we had over 2 hours until we started. I basically just killed time talking to some friends and freezing. It was windy and cool (which equals cold!). We purposedly avoided looking at the lake (it was over a berm as it was a dam) because of the wind (and b/c of my last tri!)...and it was still dark. :) I had plenty of time to set-up. We had to keep everything in a bag on the bike, which was a first for me, but it worked out ok. And we had to stuff everything back in the bag before leaving T1. It slowed down my T1 time, but everyone had to do it, so it was an even playing field.
I walked by Chris Lieto, Kate Major, and Desiree Flicker (among others!) and gawked. :)
Swim
  • 40m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was actually out of the water at 39m, but was slow to the timing mat b/c of walking and getting my arms out of my wetsuit! The only thing I didn't do well was was staying close to the buoys, so I swam a bit more than I should have....but I had no traffic. :) The chop caused some problems on 1/2 of the swim, but nothing too bad.
What would you do differently?:

Stay closer to the buoys. I've decided that swimming is my strength, and I need to take advantage of it (even if it's only the smallest part of a tri!).
Transition 1
  • 04m 43s
Comments:

Had trouble getting my suit off...the sleeves!! ugh. Got it stripped off after that. The rest went ok.
Bike
  • 2h 55m 58s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.09 mile/hr
Comments:

My Powerbars melted together in my Bento Box (even though it wasn't hot) and that was a pain! Bike is my weakness. I had to pee like a race horse during the whole bike, but all of the sporadic port o' lets on the course had people (and no, I will not pee on the bike :)

Not cut the Powerbars!
Transition 2
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

Had to unbag everything and then back everything...kind of pain, but everyone had to do it. I found my stuff easily and really had no issues. Just a bit of run to my bike and then out. I was glad to be of the bike so I could pee! :)

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 54m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

So I passed some people who passed me on the bike. :) My logic was to pace myself for the first lap, or 6.5'ish miles. I finally got to "go" within the first 2 miles, and I swear, that killed at least 2 minutes!!! UGH! Very full bladder. I got behind a runner who was running at a perfect pace for me. My Garmin was registering about 8:48 per minute and that was ok....not killing myself, but below 9. I was taking Coke or Gatorade and orange slices at each station. My "pacer" dropped her snacks in a baggie at mile 6, and I grabbed it for her. I caught her and gave it to her, and she said 'oh, thanks!', as she didn't know she dropped it, and after that, I passed her and moved on. After the first loop, I picked it up a bit as I was feeling good. I thought I was drinking too much, so I only grabbed an orange slice for the next few miles. At mile 10, I was still feeling good, and tried to pick it up a bit more. I skipped the last few aid stations, and I felt bad as they were all so eager to offer me help (and calling my name as it's on my bib)!! Props to the volunteers! I finally saw my Garmin say 13 mlles, and while I couldn't see the finish line, I knew it was close and began to tempo run, passing a few, and smiling the whole way. It was a great day to be alive!!!!!

NOTHING.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a bit. Looke for a friend who should have finished around me. Didn't see her.....wandered to find my bags and some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics. Age. :D

Event comments:

This 70.3--its first year--was awesome. It was just a great experience and the city of Boise was great. My goal was 6 hrs, and I beat that. The whole experience went well. No complaints!

Last updated: 2008-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:15 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 60/
Overall: 292/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Zoot
Course: Clockwise. 1 lap
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:55:58 | 56 miles | 19.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 86/
Overall: 404/
Performance: Average
Bike computer had the ride at 57.77 miles!
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Some good hills, lots of rollers. Had some light showers on the bike.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:54:06 | 13.1 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 80/
Overall: 387/
Performance: Good
2,208 climbing
Course: 2 loops of a park-type trail along the Boise River. Lots of trees. VERY nice course and venue. Stong fan base around the finish area and fantastic volunteers at each station. Very flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-02 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City, UT
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boise

2008-06-03 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1440390

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise
Anything under 6hours is great. Awesome job out there.
2008-06-04 12:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Huntington Beach
Way to rock the run! It was such a gorgeous course and I'm glad the race is getting the reviews that it is..
2008-06-04 4:19 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Awesome race Steve!  You really had a great day!  And don't be telling us that line about the bike being your weak point either...you had a great ride!  Congrats!  See you in about 2 1/2 weeks!

2008-06-05 11:54 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Congrats on a great race!  Yes, take advantage of your swim strength!  That choppy water killed me!  You're pretty darn fast!!!
2008-06-05 1:08 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Great race. Sounds like the volunteers were really great too. Congrats!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boise Rss Feed