Hanalei Canoe Club
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 30s
Overall Rank = 159/257
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 20/39
Pre-race routine:

Alarm off at 4:15, coffee ready made my egg sandwich to go, grabbed my gear and went next door to my neighbors for my ride to Hanalei. Rest of the family was coming later. We needed to get shuttled to the start of the race at the end of the road. The race ran along the ocean, up winding bends to beautiful vistas to the finish at Hanalei pier with a pancake breakfast waiting for us.
Event warmup:

Walking, stretching, and chatting.
Run
  • 1h 17m 30s
  • 8 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I have never run this distance. My current training has been up to just under five mile and I hit that last week so I wasn't expecting any great finish and thought I would be walking more than I did due to pain. Started out at a comfortable pace, was talking with my friend who I rode up with, she had done Marathons in the past so she said her trick was to walk through drink stops, so I did, I didn't drink I pour the water on my head, I had a nutrition belt on with my hammer perpetuem and water, I can't drink out of a cup moving. We were trucking up the hills and thought I had one more left, a guy went by on his bike and said it is all down hill from here and I thought he was lying and low and behold he was right and said heck I have all this energy thinking I had one more hill so I figured with 2.5 miles left I would pick up the pace, my friend wasn't feeling to hot, she only ate a banana prior, bad choice. I think she would have finished with me if she ate more. I passed all the walkers at the end, they started an hour before us and I was thinking I was going to pass this skinny guy and then he turned around and I realized it was my husband surf buddy, I could not do that to him but he was thinking no way was she going to beat me in and he picked up the pace and then there was no way I could catch him, finished right behind him though, I sooooo had the high and I didn't have the same fatigue feeling I do at the end of running on sprint tri, I think I can handle these longer running events, looking forward to next long run!
What would you do differently?:

I think I would follow the same plan easy in the beginning pick up the pace throughout.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, my friend came in a few minutes after me, got her to a nurse, she also has MS and develops a temporary foot drop at the end of her races, I also think that she really needs to pay attention to her nutrition more so for her MS. I was amazed that she doesn't let the diagnosis get in the way of her dreams. She also only started running again a month ago.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Oh I forgot I developed a blister on my right foot, my sneaker felt too tight around the arch and loosened it on one of the water breaks, but I think it may be the orthotic, I may need to switch to a wider shoe or try my other orthotics. I don't think the blister slowed me down but I was thinking about it.

Event comments:

Very fun, beautiful race with a pancake breakfast, it was great also because I new a lot of people racing.

Last updated: 2008-04-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:17:30 | 08 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 0/257
Performance: Good
Course: first 4 miles were pretty flat, then three hills each progressively getting longer and steeper, then downhill at WaiKoko's around beautiful Hanalei bay to finish at black pot next to Hanalei Pier.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-07 9:26 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: Ha'ena to Hanalei 8 mile run/walk

2008-06-08 3:19 PM
in reply to: #1451949

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Ha'ena to Hanalei 8 mile run/walk
Congratulations on finishing well.  Long distances are great once you hit the groove. 
2008-06-09 4:15 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Congrats!  So good to see you running again!  When's you're next race?
2008-06-09 4:46 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
So cool Nancy! Well done, very nice to see a great run from you and no problems from the foot? Sounds like you are well on your way for an OLY distance race soon! Keep it up!!
2008-06-10 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Nice race - congrats on your new distance!
2008-06-13 8:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Whoa!  That distance came out of nowhere!  A great long race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ha'ena to Hanalei 8 mile run/walk Rss Feed