Ironhead Race Productions
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 54m 17s
Overall Rank = 33/274
Age Group = 35-39 F
Age Group Rank = 1/17
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 and ate english muffin with peanut butter and honey. Just the usual getting ready for race day! Tried to quietly get the kids and put them in the car without waking them up. Jen came over and went with us to "champion the race" and watch the kids! Greg and Katheryn spent the night and we were all excited for Greg to finish his first tri!
Event warmup:

Wanted to swim but it was so windy that I knew it would be too chilly when I got out. So did not do any warm up.
Swim
  • 08m 2s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the craziest swim that I have ever done. All 35-39 men and woman started together so I was excited about starting with Todd. Of course, we were only together for about 4 strokes before I felt like I was overtaken by the wash machine start. The water was so choppy bacause of the wind and there were tons of people hanging on to kayaks and bouys. It was difficult to turn at the bouys because so many people were in the way just trying to hold on. Greg started before us so I kept on hoping that he was finished and he wasn't one of the ones that had given up. This was my first open water swim without a wetsuit since last year and I liked it. I was trying to focus on the technique and just get through the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up so I would not be so shocked by the conditions.
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

As I ran out of the water, Katheryn told me that Greg was out of the water, I was relieved and knew that he would do great on the rest. Put my helmet on, grabbed my bike, and took off.

Had trouble hopping on my bike after the dismount line. Ended up straddling the bike then taking off. I was a little bummed about that.
Bike
  • 30m 33s
  • 11 miles
  • 21.60 mile/hr
Comments:

After I got going I tried to figure out where Todd and Greg were. So I pushed it trying to catch up with them. I saw Greg around mile 3 or 4 and he looked great. He even seemed like he was having fun! Then at the turn around I saw Todd and he looked very smooth on the bike. I think this is the first bike segment in a race where I had no issues and nothing really to report.

Train more in this nasty wind. The crosswinds were pretty strong.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

I got my feet on top of my shoes with plenty of time so I was ready for the dismount. It felt smooth and I was excited to hop off correctly this time. Had lots of trouble getting my racing shoes on though. Took sips of water, grabbed Garmin off bike and took off.

Loosen race shoes before the event.
Run
  • 13m 44s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the run with my heart rate out of control. I felt like I was breathing so loud and could not get comfortable in my stride. I thought to myself, this is a 2 mile run just push it but it seemed like a LONG 2 miles. I was ready to be done and I had only gone 1/2 mile. Finally, I poured water over my head at the water station and felt better. I saw Todd at little bit before the turn around, saw Greg and Peter as well. They looked good and I was happy for Greg. Tried to high-five Jake and saw the kids having a ball playing right before the finish!

Train more in the heat to get used to increase HR
Post race
Warm down:

Went and found Todd, Jen, Katheryn, and Robin and Todd, and cheered on Greg! Watched him cross the finish line and so thrilled that he did it! For those who do not know, Greg is my little brother who has fought Leukemia and has been in remission for several months now. He is a fighter and now a triathlete! Thanks Jen for taking so many pictures and for watching the kids when we raced!!!! And thanks to the Murphys for coming out today to support the gang! You all rock!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me - train more in the pool and the run.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:02 | 437 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/17
Overall: 67/274
Performance: Good
Suit: unitard
Course: It was a triangle shaped course. Most of it parellel to land.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:33 | 11 miles | 21.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 56/274
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: There and back over the damn
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:13:44 | 02 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 16/274
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-08 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Metroplex Sprint Triathlon

2008-06-08 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1452612

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Metroplex Sprint Triathlon
awesome job. you failed to mention 1st PLACE FINISH IN AG AND 3rd FEMALE OVERALL! you're awesome. congrats on a fantastic race. proud of you!!
2008-06-09 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

2/17, 1/17, 1/17...can you say "AG domination".  Great race.  And congratulations to your little brother.

TJ

2008-06-09 9:36 PM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Great race! Unbelievable how fast you're getting on the bike.
2008-06-12 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Awesome job Jenny. You ROCKED it.
2008-06-12 8:36 PM
in reply to: #1454233

User image

Champion
the colony texas
zia_cyclist - 2008-06-09 11:54 AM

2/17, 1/17, 1/17...can you say "AG domination". Great race. And congratulations to your little brother.

TJ

ditto.. would you buy my lotto tickets for me, since it looks like you couldnt' lose.

Glad to hear about your little brother 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Metroplex Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed