eliteendeavors.com
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 06m 9s
Overall Rank = 259/417
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/25
Pre-race routine:

Woke to massive Thunder & Lightening at 1:00 am, yikes!! Major storm and the first thing I thought of was "is my bike okay in the garage??". Woke on and off the next few hours- more thunder, more POURING rain. Wondered whether the race would go on, what the trail would be like, and on and on.

Alarm went off at 4:30 am, it was still thundering. Radar looked dismal. I e-mailed Jen (runnergirl) and she was all positive (what did I expect, right?!) so I got dressed. Told Tom & dog to go back to sleep because I honestly didn't think the event would happen and even if it did it looked like it would be a pretty icky day to jockstrap. Discovered my frozen bottle of gatorade had popped a seam (another one down!). Had oatmeal and wandered sleepily out the door.

Carpooled w/Jen, we watched the rainclouds & clearing skies and held our breath. Once we got there it was pretty clear that the event would go on... and it was getting to be a really nice morning!! Crazy.

Set up gear (in wet dirt...tasty) & chatted with all the BT folk (Matt, Jen, trix, robyn/triOK, ranger, kimm/girlw/1nose).
Event warmup:

Slapped on the wetsuit, did some stretching then swam 100 yards or so before standing around to watch all the other waves leave. Chilled out w/Robyn & Jen among others.
Swim
  • 18m 23s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a great swim. Looking at the course made me seriously nervous about Big Fish in 2 weeks when I'll be doing 1.5k... but today made me think that perhaps its the longer the better when it comes to finding my swim groove. I was in such a zone! I really didn't have too many issues getting out of the mob, we seemed to really spread out pretty quickly. I swam what I felt was a consistent, smooth, long stroke and that seemed to work really well. Considering the elite athletes and downright fasties in my AG, I'm extremely proud that I was 4th!!
What would you do differently?:

Get a sleeveless wetsuit, I was borderline over-warm, especially waiting for the start.
Transition 1
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

Again I sort of "took my time" in transition. First of all the mamba jamba hill from the water to transition was a BI-otch. After about 10 yards of that I just walked most of it because it was enormous and I wanted to be able to function on the bike, not to mention when I got to my gear!! Again, I grabbed a gu and sucked it down right away. Takes time, but I haven't worked out fueling on the bike yet. Socks, shoes, had to be done. Running through the mud was a new one though!! I wasn't sure how the cleats would work w/mud in them, but it went all right. I had to stop right off the bike again because my brakes were dragging in the front (even though I'd had bikesport check them before I'd racked it). Oh well.

Run the hill? ........No, I wouldn't. That takes some serious stamina.
Bike
  • 49m 39s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Biking today scared the poop out of me. First of all, the road was wet due to the storms. Second of all, the road was in pretty bad condition- potholes and cracks ALL over. It was terrifying for the newbie road biker (that's me!). So, I just didn't push it. My goal was to stay upright and not torch my legs before the run, and I was successful at that. This wasn't anything to write home about, but I did it and didn't get hurt. I even passed some really slow people. :) Oh, and there were lots of freaking hills!! I can't get into my big ring without pushing really hard, which kind of makes me swerve... so I didn't- i just coasted. I was a little to nervous to go that fast on the wet downhills anyway, so it was all right. Saw one dude down on the pavement being taken care of by police, EMS, and a firetruck. Clearly more than a case of road rash.

More T.I.T.S.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

I thought this would be a longer transition, but I guess without the monster hill to go up it wasn't as long. I did take a few extra moments to smear on some Ivy Block because I was petrified of all the Poison Ivy on course and didn't want to come out looking like Trixie of last week... even if I lost time for it. The bummer deal with that though was that I was left running with greasy hands. Every time I went to wipe the sweat off my face I was smearing it with either lotion or dirt. I also grabbed my fuel belt because I'd decided to do the run w/water and a gu.

Not much.
Run
  • 52m 25s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

This was everything it was advertised as. UPPP & down dirt trails through the woods. The bad news was that it was chock full of Poison Ivy. Good news is that it was mostly shaded (I would have died otherwise today, it was So Freaking Hot!). Now that I'm 8 hours beyond the pain of this trail run, it was really fun and I'd love to do it again. Doing it though, I'm pretty sure it was "holy sh#t tough".

Used Trixie's advice as a mantra "walk the hills you can't see over" and I did walk up a lot. This worked out well though and there were others who were doing the same thing. Towards the end of the run I started passing all the people who hadn't been walking the hills... they were now *just* walking... totally trashed by the course. It was way hot already and I was very, very ready to be done by the time we hit a main road again. And that's when the death march hill popped up. Big, Bad, and in the Sun. iiiiiiiiiiiiiick. Got 'er done and then the run to the finish was down the same hill we'd slogged up after the swim. THAT was fun. :) I finished with a smile as I saw Mattliv there cheering.

Nothing, keep listening to Trixie, she knows her trail running. :) Considering my feelings for running while super hot, I'm really proud of myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Went back in the lack. LOVELY. Trixie says, "Um, your face is really red!". Yep... back in the lake. It was hot, hot, hot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hot, Hot, Hot, lack of confidence on my bike.

Event comments:

This was a great race. I can't believe they bill it as "beginner friendly" though!! Its TOUGH! Well run though and I enjoyed every minute- through gritted teeth. Great post-race lunch and good quality BT hang out fest.

Last updated: 2008-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:23 | 880 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/25
Overall: 147/417
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Big, long, rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:49:39 | 14 miles | 16.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/25
Overall: 309/417
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Big fat donut, clockwise.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:25 | 05 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/25
Overall: 272/417
Performance: Good
Course: UP and Down trail run. Tough, baby!!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-08 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Subject: Ann Arbor Triathlon

2008-06-08 5:42 PM
in reply to: #1452620

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Ann Arbor Triathlon
Great race Sushi!
2008-06-08 5:50 PM

User image

Regular
Ontario
Godd race, and nice report.  I might have to come and do this one with you guys next year.
2008-06-08 5:53 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan
Dude. You were awesome.  Came outta the water like it was no big deal.  smiling on the bike and run!  awesome day, sush.
2008-06-08 10:11 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Wow - you had an awesome race today!! You made great decisions and kept up a decent pace on everything despite some challenges. Very impressive.
2008-06-09 7:38 AM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan
Hey great job, sounds like it was a hard course and you toughed it out.  Way to go!!

2008-06-09 7:51 AM

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
Great job Jaclyn! I'm bummed to hear the roads were so terrible, not fun for going fast when you are worried about flats.

On to big fish!
2008-06-09 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Great job!@!! If you do this again next year, Im in Id love to do it! I am a glutton for punishment though when it comes to trails. I enjoy them. And I dont think you needed my help on the swim at Big Fish.. looks like you did A-OK on your own
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ann Arbor Triathlon Rss Feed