Midwest Sports Events
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 08m 39s
Overall Rank = 98/103
Age Group = F 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45 in the morning, ate a bagel with cheese, a banana and some juice. Looked up the radar because it has been raining nonstop for like three days. Bad radar so start to get really stressed. I then got dressed, packed up the rest of my bag, got my gatorade, and put the bike in the car. Paced around the house waiting for my support team to get ready and then left for the race. Got there and unloaded the car. Walked from the car to the park and transition area, got my packet, got numbered and my time chip and set up my transition area. Then got in the bathroom line and got ready to hit the water.
Event warmup:

No warm-up because honestly the walk from the car to the transition area was like 1/4 of a mile. Got in the water and just walked around a bit before the swim. Heard the national anthem and then it was show time!
Swim
  • 11m 53s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

After the last few instructions, wave one got going and wave two was told we would wait 5 to 7 minutes and then off we went. The water wasn't very deep at all but it was cold and the first time I dove under, I realized there was no visibility at all! I ran for a bit and then tried to swim, but was having troubles relaxing in the water. Finally the bottom dropped out and I was formed to swim, but again couldn't calm down and was forced to swim with my head above the water or do two strokes and breathe. For the first time ever in my life I thought I was going to die. I literally thought I was going to make that poor lifeguard on the raft get wet and pull my butt out of the lake. Rounded the raft, I was finally able to relax a bit and get to the shallow water again, really calm down and then get to business. The rest of the swim was smooth and pretty calm. I climbed out of the water, smiled for the professional photographer and ran up the beach to the transition area. This was actually a pretty long run up the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Calm down a whole lot more at the beginning and well maybe just spend some time in the open water. I might have even been faster if I would have been able to swim correctly in the beginning.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Pretty good transition. It was just starting to rain as I ran in, got my helmet on, yelled at my dad that I almost died in the water, got my shoes on, put my nutrition in my pocket and grabbed my bike. The off running towards the mount line, it was pretty good.

Not much; just like I had practiced!
Bike
  • 1h 41m 32s
  • 29 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

As I first pulled out of the transition area, I encountered three speed pumps, lots of people, and the first of many raindrops to come. It took me a few minutes on the bike to adjust to biking. Then when I started to get up to speed and roll into the course, the rain started to fall. And well it didn't stop. Early on in the course since I was the second wave, there really weren't that many people so I wasn't passing people and I was only getting passed by a few people with really sweet bikes. Then about five miles in if I remember correctly, it started to really pour and thunder and lightening. At this point, I changed my strategy from being consistent and fast to just being really safe. I slowed any turns down and thanked as many volunteers and police officers as I could as they stood out in the rain. About half way through, there was a turn where I almost took out a fellow biker because we tried turning at the same time and my breaks pretty much failed. I took in a GU about mile 13 and a bottle of gatorade and almost 24 ozs on the hand-off around mile 15. I was very happy with the speed and my bike was great in the conditions. I was so happy when I got back into the city and knew the bike was almost over, but then it started to occur to me what was next... 6.2 miles :)

I think the biggest thing is I need to continue working on hill climbing and also on fine bike skills like tight fast cornering. Otherwise with the lack of rain biking I was very happy with my handling skills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Overall pretty good. I was dealing with really wet conditions, but since I covered my shoes and socks before the race they were relatively dry. However, putting socks on wet feet is not easy. Once I was set... I began to run.

Not much... again, I can't stop the rain and that is all it had done for the past hour and 45 minutes.
Run
  • 1h 11m 50s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

The course description is such a lie that it isn't even funny. As I started out my goal was to do 4:1. However as I started to run, realizing how weak my legs were, I changed plans and decided to go for running as much as I could and then walking till I felt like running again. Sadly about 3 minutes into the race my shoes were completely soaked. So I ran and walked when I had to. The course was going well and I took in a package of shotbloks about 20 minutes into the run. The one and only water stop was about 2 miles in and we hit it at that point and then again on the return at about mile 5 or so. I grabbed water and gatorade at that stop then came across a mile marker at mile three and got excited. Well I know better than to believe those, but I did anyways and the course just seemed to go on forever. I had to make a bathroom stop about 4 or so miles into it and after that the only thing that was preventing me from running more was pure muscle fatigue. Then I heard the finish line and then it was there and I crossed it and was sooo happy!

I don't know. I need to train more brick and just get my legs use to being punished that much.
Post race
Warm down:

I did some walking, got some water, listened to the awards, and walked to pack up my bike and gear. That was enough of a warm-down. But then on the walk back I heard my name over the speakers and found the strength to get back to the awards and get my FIRST PLACE AG TROPHY!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

You know considering this was my best and worst race based on conditions I couldn't control and doing the best I could with what I had, I am pretty darn happy. More training would always help, but I am not going to rain (haha) on such a good personal performance!

Event comments:

Well, this was my first longer race and I was pretty happy, especially with the results. The race itself was not the best one I have done, but it wasn't too bad and the tee shirts were pretty nice. I am honestly very happy with the results and I look forward to using this race as a way to structure my training for the main event of the year, Door County Half Ironman.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:53 | 800 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 61/103
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Double loop around Ashwaubomay Park lake.... 400 yards each time. It was shallow enough to run about 3/4 of the course. The water was murky, cold, and smelly.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:41:32 | 29 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Overall: 91/103
Wind: None
Course: The bike course heads out of the park heading south on Broadway and quickly heading west on Parkview to Glory Road out to Packerland Drive. The route continues into the town of Hobart and returning on Grant Street /Hwy EE back to Glory Road and returning to the park. Miles marked every 5th mile.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:11:50 | 06.2 miles | 11m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 102/103
Course: The run follows out of Ashwaubomay Park and heads north on Broadway turning around near the National Railroad Museum and returning on Broadway back to the park. Course is very flat. Long Sprint continues past the National Railroad Museum.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-11 9:25 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Green Bay Triathlon

2008-06-12 7:36 AM
in reply to: #1461367

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Green Bay Triathlon
Congratulations on a First place AG during tough conditions with the storm and the swim start!!  You rock girl!
2008-06-12 10:07 AM
in reply to: #1461765

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

zipp1 - 2008-06-12 5:36 AM Congratulations on a First place AG during tough conditions with the storm and the swim start!!  You rock girl!

DARN PAM! FABULOUS RACE! way to win your AG! your second mom is very VERY proud of you!! kiu!

2008-06-12 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1461765

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Great race! Congratulations on your FIRST PLACE AG finish!

2008-06-13 6:58 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Way to go Pam. That was a majorly tough day particularly for your first Olympic but you stuck it out.  Mental toughness is MUCH harder to train for that physical toughness. The physical will come in time, but you've got the strength you need already.
2008-06-15 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Nice job on the race!  You had smoken speed on the swim. You should be very proud of your race and AG finish!  Wooo hooooo!

2008-06-15 12:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI

Well done! Especially on the AG finish....only way I'll win my AG is if I'm the only person in it LOL! Rough conditions to race in, so good job on that too.

Last year when I did this race they didn't have normal water or gatorade, they had some nasty drink instead.....did they fix this problem this year?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Green Bay Triathlon Rss Feed