United States
Long Island Gold Coast Triathlon
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 38s
Overall Rank = 247/774
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 40/86
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:15, got my stuff together (all packed the night before), made coffee, and hit the road. Ate 1/3 of the worst bagel I've ever had (Dunkin')on the way in, then a Clif Bar about an hour before send off. Will need to do that earlier, as it was in my stomach the entire race. Planned on a gel 20 min. before start but forgot.

Met up with Bobby (dreamchaser) and talked for a bit, then found my buddy Nate from college and hung around with him catching up until the start.

Event warmup:

None. Very relaxed and had none of the pre-race jitters.
Swim
  • 16m 56s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt great. Started out slow, getting a feel for the water. NONE of the swim demons in my head for the entire swim. Just so relaxed and concentrated on keeping moving straight. It was nice to pass people and catch the wave in front of mine. Last time around I got caught and passed by what felt like everybody.

Navigation still needs work, though it's getting better. Swam relatively straight, but almost completely stop to sight.

Kicked hard once, no water swallowed.

Time included 150 yard run to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Push harder. Confidence in the water is coming along nicely, so I should start pushing harder rather than going at a "just gotta finish" pace.
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

I took the timing chip off my ankle to remove the suit, which made removal so much easier. Probably cost me 30 sec. last race prying it over the chip. Remembered to put it back on!

Got stuff together and took off.

Need to practice, especially the mount. I run with shoes on, I should start practicing flying mounts with the shoes already clipped in.
Bike
  • 38m 37s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Hammered it, for me, anyway. I passed my buddy early, then he got me just before second loop. Kept him in my sights but couldn't catch him. Gear changes miles better than last race. I passed a LOT more people than passed me and I didn't get passed by one mountain bike. That was an accomplishment in itself.

Felt great and fast. Rode pretty much on the very tip of the saddle and kept the legs pumping. Very comfortable and in control of the bike. Spent most of the ride in aero and getting much more at ease transitioning.

Need much more T.I.T.S, especially on hills. I need to get me some cycling legs. Can't expect much more considering I'm new to it, but it's a goal to work towards.

Need to practice drinking from the cage without slowing so much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Did the flying dismount totally unplanned and without practice. Long and wide open into transition, so I undid the straps and got the feet out and on top of the shoes while approaching. Hopped off at the line and right in to stride. Very happy with that.

Fussed with getting the forerunner off the bike and strapped on to my wrist. Lost more time going back for a gel and swig of gatorade, of which I needed neither. Probably cost me 30 seconds all told.

Practice
Run
  • 22m 18s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile super tight. Almost stopped, but kept plodding. Loosened up out of the blue after a mile and just kept getting faster and faster. Went from getting dropped to passing 15-20 people for every runner that passed me. Finished strong.

Real happy with the run. Fast pace for me. I need to check the Garmin splits to see how the improvement was pacewise, not just by feel.

More bricks, I guess.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for Nate to finish up and then walked around a bit. Got some water and hung out talking for a while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only had about 6 hours sleep in the 48 hours leading up to the race. Of that, the longest stretch was 45 min. Not cool. Worked a night tour, then had a daughter with a stomach virus. Bad combo.

Wasn't expecting too much today, but I surprised myself.

Event comments:

I really didn't expect much due to lack of sleep leading up to the race, but all that went out the window when I hit the water. Just felt great. Outstanding race for me. My goal time was 1:30 and I just blew it out of the water.

I just want to check the Garmin to verify distances. I think the bike was about right, but the run may have been 1/4 mile short. Not to minimize my performance, since I'm real happy with it, but to know for sure.

Last updated: 2008-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:56 | 875 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/86
Overall: 239/774
Performance: Good
Heart racing before the start.
Suit: Xterra Vengeance Full
Course: Out, 90 degree left, 90 degree left, back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:37 | 12 miles | 18.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 50/86
Overall: 344/774
HR around 185 for the entire bike. Super high, but I felt good and just went with it.
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop. Some mild hills and a few shorter grades. Road had lots of bumps and potholes to watch out for. Puddles still around from overnight showers.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:18 | 03 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 40/86
Overall: 251/774
Heart booming at 190+
Course: 2 loops, completely flat. Mostly concrete, some asphalt. Crowded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-15 8:53 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
Subject: Long Island Gold Coast Triathlon

2008-06-16 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1468010

User image

Subject: RE: Long Island Gold Coast Triathlon

Excellent race man!  Was cool meeting up with you again.  Looks like you had an excellent swim, and looks like you are just getting better and faster on the bike.  And congratulations on your first flying dismount! I love doing them.  I think once you learn to do it, you don't forget. 

If I can give you a critique, forget about the garmin or figure out another way to get it on your wrist while already on the bike.  I live and die by my Garmin when training -- never leave home without it.  But when it comes to Race Day, I leave it at home and just bring my regular timex to record my overall time.  I lost six spots in 25 seconds because I couldn't find my bike in T1, so figuring out a way to switch the Garmin will instantly gain you a small jump in the standings next time.

Considering the lack of sleep you had a great race.  Hope to see you at Cedar beach.

2008-06-16 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
I agree I need to find a better way to use the forerunner in the race. I have it on the bike when I set everything up before the race. At Ironclad, I forgot it on the bike in T2. I only use it in the run to check my HR occasionally as a back up to RPE so I don't blow up. I just run my pace based on feel.

Being anal, I like to record the data for the race so I can analyze it later. I try to make mental notes of how I'm feeling and glance at time or distance when I do so. Afterwards, I'll go back and see where it was and how it built up to however I was feeling at that moment. Because of the recording, I won't go without it, even if I put tape over the display later on. If only it was waterproof so I could carry it with me on the swim. I won't stick it in my cap because I'm usually dizzy/disoriented when I get out of the water and just rip the thing off. Maybe I'll practice with it.

Whatever, I'll find something that works. The whole point is to get better, so it'll be one more thing to work on.

Definitely in for more time at Cedar Beach.

And the dismount felt awesome! As I was pulling in to the lot, I said what the f$%# and gave it a shot. Glad I did.
2008-06-16 1:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Nice job, you have come along way in a short time. I agree with the whole Garmin thing get yourself a cheap bike computer then you can have your Garmin on your rist for the run...

Nice job indeed for your first season keep up the good work all three of the disciplines look solid. My suggestion would be to add a hill repeats session mid-week. Start easy and work teh number of repeats and steppeness over time. That will strengten up your legs quickly and improve your hill repeats.

2008-06-16 3:10 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Great race! Congrats on nailing the flying dismount. I chickened out...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Island Gold Coast Triathlon Rss Feed