Utah Summer Games
98F / 37C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 55m 50s
Overall Rank = 15/54
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up early this morning, and just relaxed. Ate my blueberry muffin, a power bar and some vitamin water with regular water. Just got my bike, running gear ready and then headed up to transition to set up everything.
Event warmup:

went out into the water and swam some real short distance to warm up my shoulders and legs. Did some stretching in the water for both my legs and mainly my shoulders.
Swim
  • 26m 33s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

Drafting was BAD since I did not have anyone to draft. I had the fastest swim time for the whole race today. Felt awesome and supper good with very good tempo.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Just wish this new course management company new what they were doing when they set up a swim course. It deffinitively was longer by quiete a lot.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Transition felt pretty good. Had a long jog from water, up boat ramp, and then to the bike transition. My stuff was in the second rack from the front, so long way from swim. But got all stuff on pretty good. Just need to run through whole transition instead of walking. Looking with other transitions time, could of been about another 45sec faster. Need to practice swim/bike transitions.

Practice swim/bike transitions with running jump starts to bike. Never have done that before since getting back into it.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 26s
  • 25 miles
  • 20.43 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt really good on the bike course, but also felt like the pavement was grabbing my tires. I would definitively inflate my tires from 105 to 120 for this course. I rather feel more bumpy than feel like the road is sucking me down into it. Felt weird, but could tell it slowed me down.
Quiete a few turns that were really tight, and had to slow down considerably. So a lot of slow and go which forced me to practice on accelerations during this course.

Inflate tires differently, and continue training with hills. I have to say that I will not be able to run away from them. Practive surges for acceleration to improve on thsi course.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

They did not have a transition time for this part, and appears that this transition was added to the run time. So the run time will appear to be slower than actual time.
Also, when I took feet off shoes to ride in, kept flipping the shoes and just could not focus on riding in with feet on top. Lost some time there. But got off the bike while it was moving, so that part of the transition worked really well.
I got lost and just couldn't find my bike rack. uugggghhh!! Frustrated with that time lost there.

Practice this transition more, and make sure I remember where the hell!!! I was at. With bike there, easier than looking for running shoes barried in the mess.
Run
  • 1h 13m 16s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt pretty good overall. HR was sticking right around 152-158 during that portion. Felt really good. I did walk through each water stops to collect 2 cups. One to cool down and the other to drink. My lips started to feel dry on the way back for the run, but felt good overall.

Time above also includes the T2 transition, which I know was not that good.

Need to practice running and get a running coach. Running about 1 hour a week is just not enough for this. But need to remember that I have been concentrating on the swim/bike and not running. Finish this month with same, then start running for the IMAZ in November.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, then headed back into the Lake to cool down just with my tri-suit on. Water was really cold without a wetsuit, but felt awesome on my legs and upper body. Swam around in the water for about 5min to cool down. Felt really good. Then ate some Soy Joy bar's, banana's, apples, and lots of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Have a very defficient running background, and need to spend more time running. I still have to learn to love running. Also continue loosing all that fat around my waist, and finish loosing the weight that I have started. Now down from 304 to 210 lbs, but need to get down to 186lbs for optimum weight if not less. Makes it easier to climb when weight is low.

Event comments:

Post race was very little, just food and water in the finish shute. Not much else. Of course, been that I see some much higher caliber races around Vegas and California, my standards are pretty high overall. Mainly disapointed they don't use the same tools that we have for setting up swim course. That was my biggest disapointment.

Biggest item about this race overall, is that my final time was only 20min slower than the first place athlete, so that also prooves that he was on a longer swim course. He was about 15 - 18min slower than his normal course. Typical swim is 1500m, 40k bike and 10k bike. Here the swim and bike were longer. Fun race, and penalty's of course length applied to everyone. So it was still an awesome race in that perspective. I would do it again next year.

Last updated: 2008-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:33 | 1500 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 1/54
Performance: Good
Suit: Q2
Course: Swim course was definitively longer than 1500. I was the first one out of the water, and next person was about 100 yards behind me. From my training, I know I probably paced around a 1:12 to 1:18 in the water. Felt like some of my later training sets I've been doing in the water.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:13:26 | 25 miles | 20.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 4/54
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Bike course was hilly in one section, and roads were really roughly paved.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:13:16 | 06.2 miles | 11m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 25/54
Performance: Average
Course: Run course was rolling up and down, but was along the shorline of the lake, so the view was spectacular. This is a great place to race. Mount Zion National Park is just about 1 1/2 hour drive and can be seen in the horizon. But the run is nice, with just a nice sweet hill toward the finish to bring it home.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-16 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: Utah Summer Games

2008-06-16 1:18 PM
in reply to: #1468943

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Utah Summer Games

Great job overall.  Great swim too.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the swim course was wrong.  They added two extra bouys that added to more "corners" and added length IMO.....  (From all the other races out there).

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-06-16 1:19 PM
2008-06-17 2:31 AM

User image

Melon Presser

What a killer fast race for you! Yes, I see the little frustrations, both out of your control and in--long swim, long transition, getting lost, run fitness--but overall, SUCH a fantastic performance and your greatly improved weight helps, I'm sure. You looked so amazing at Redondo.

Super congratulations on the speedy swim and the placing.

2008-06-27 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
AWESOME job out there! Fastest swim time OA! That is just so friggin' cool! Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Utah Summer Games Rss Feed