United States
City of Pflugerville, Jack and Adams Bicycles
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 13s
Overall Rank = 13/366
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/57
Pre-race routine:

normal bagel with peanut butter/jam, coffee. Water with some Nuun on way to race.
Event warmup:

ran two miles on the run course after getting transition set up and swam about 5 minutes as first wave was going off. Saw quite a few people at the race, lots and lots of locals. Talked with mike and kari before the race as well. Beautiful weather for a race day !!!!
Swim
  • 09m 42s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

When the horn went off I just buried my head and swam as fast as I could. When I took my first breathe I saw only a few people ahead of me. My first 150-200m I felt really good and then I slowed down some. Probably due to my lack of swimming since Ironman Arizona. The time on this course includes the time you stand up, wade thru some water and then a little hike towards transition where you finally hit the timing mat.
What would you do differently?:

more open water and actually swim more consistently. Personally there is no reason i shouldn't have broken 9 minutes on this swim. But i'll just have to take the time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

This the first real attempt to get into my shoes on the bike since Longhorn half last year... besides the couple of times the day before

nothing, i felt calm and relaxed during transition.
Bike
  • 38m 1s
  • 14 miles
  • 22.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok, when i got onto the course I hit the initial part really hard and passed a few people in my AG. The roads were quite crowded as my ag was the 6th one to go. I rolled the dice as usual on the shorter courses and brought along no spare tube/equipment and only 3/4 full bottle of h2o with a gel in the bottle. I was passing people like crazy and for the first 10 miles no one passed me. Around mile 10 I was passed by a person in my AG, I recognized him and knew he was a stronger cyclist. But I was ok with it as I hoped I could catch him on the run. At mile 12 another guy passed me and saw he was in my AG. I didn't know too much about him so I let him get no more than 200m or so ahead of me. About .5 mile from transition I pulled out of my shoes, had a perfect running dismount and a perfect transition from bike to run.

about mile 10 i was working really hard. Will need to continue to develop some speed with speed intervals/thresh hold training
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Awesome transition. I came into transition in 3rd and came out 2nd.

nothing
Run
  • 19m 41s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Alright as soon as I got on the run course I saw the guy in my AG just about 200m or so ahead of me. I knew I would catch him. At first I couldnt see the other guy who passed me at the end of the bike, so I really pushed the first mile. About 3/4 mile into run I passed Mike (mkmbharris) and said hi. I hit mile 1 marker in 6:02. I knew this was a little too fast but I wanted to go all out. I looked back and saw the guy who passed me on the bike at the end and he caught me just past the 1 mile mark. At this point I made the decision to run with him. I ran behind him for about .5 mile, then i pulled up next to him. As i did this, I noticed he was breathing really hard and what I did next I have never done. I tried to play some head games. I told him, man it is really hot out, but man my legs feel really good. He was having a hard time talking back to me but was attempting. We kept up the conversation until mile 2, he cracked just enough for me to create some space. As he cracked I turned it up a notch and just went after the win. Once I crossed the line I found out that I won my AG.

nothing - I have been running 3 times a week in the afternoon and all the running in the 2pm heat paid off. My legs felt good, especially at the end of the run. I really wanted to break 19 minutes on the run. during a practice run the week before on the course i ran a 18:09 but with alot less effort on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with Todde (jwithyco), Mike (mkmbharris) and quite a few others. I confirmed I won my AG and stuck around to collect my medal for yes 1st place in my AG. I couldn't believe it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim, i just need to get to the pool more often. Bike, continue doing some thresh hold workouts
--
on a side note - if you don't think transitions make a difference... I beat the 2nd place guy by having better transitions times.

Event comments:

Overall a great race, great venue, especially for first timers. Yes the roads have some rough patches but overall a nice bike course, lots of rolling hills to challenge you. Post race was ok but this is a smaller race and didn't expect that IM feel. Looking foward to next year.

Last updated: 2008-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:42 | 500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/57
Overall: 46/366
Performance: Average
Suit: desoto shorts, tyr top
Course: triangle course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:01 | 14 miles | 22.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/57
Overall: 17/366
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: rolling hills
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:41 | 03 miles | 06m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/57
Overall: 22/366
Performance: Good
Course: crushed rock around the lake, no shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-23 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon

2008-06-23 10:07 AM
in reply to: #1482952

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
Subject: RE: Lake Pflugerville Triathlon
So was I the first guy that passed you on the bike or the second?

I knew it was only a matter of time before you caught me on the run, but did you have to do it before we finished the first mile?

Great race and congrats on 1st place.
2008-06-23 10:09 AM
in reply to: #1483055

User image

Expert
sorry dan.... i was trying to keep the names out . But hey, i was trying my best to make sure you were in sight during the bike.
2008-06-23 10:24 AM

User image

Congratulations! You won our AG! I was only 36 places behind you!

It's nice to know our winner is a regular on BT.
2008-06-23 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Great race Jamie and congrats of the AG win.  I was trying hard to keep you from passing me until later in the race.  I agree, this is a fun little race.  If they fix the roads it would awesome!
2008-06-23 10:52 AM

User image

Expert
Congrats on the AG win! It was nice meeting you out there.

2008-06-23 12:11 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
awesome race!!!! great job knowing your position thru out the race and then applying the heat on the run. no matter how bad it hurts physically, the what ifs after the race hurt way worse. i am sure rubbing your 1st place medal on your legs made them feel much better after the race!!!
2008-06-23 12:36 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Outstanding job! Way to hammer it from the start.

The run training really paid off when it came down to it. Fast transitions are critical when every second counts, and in that AG, you have to be almost perfect.

Sprints are fun indeed.

See you at a race in the future.
2008-06-23 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Congrats on the race and 1st place.  I was VERY surprised to hear that I ended up in 3rd.  Excellent job!!
2008-06-23 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Aren't sprints sooo much fun after having done IM!!  I love them...done in an hour.

Congrats on your AG win.  Great job 'strategizing' during the race.  Awesome T2...that was one of the first things I noticed when I scanned your race numbers.

TJ

2008-06-23 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Congrats on your win!  I love this race - it's great for speed, especially if they fix all those cracks in the roads. Great job and a great race!

2008-06-24 9:12 AM

User image

Austin, TX
Grats on your AG win! Putting a gel in the water bottle - why did I never think of this?! great idea
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Pflugerville Triathlon Rss Feed