27C / 81F
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 20m 15s
Overall Rank = 90/158
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 23/39
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep well at all.
Highwaydog seemed to have a strange fascination with Sex and the City...I had dreams of Carrie and shoes when I did sleep.
Room was hot with four bodies (athletic ones!) in it.

Two omelets with cheese and yogurt that I "rescued" from the breakfast the day before and kept in the fridge. One Coffee that Highwaydog brought me! One Powerbar about 30 minutes before the race. Some sips of water but very little fluid.
Put bikes and stuff in the vehicle and drove to race site with Nick and Jason H. They dropped off the stuff, left it with me and they went off to park the vehicles. Got choice spot just beside bike transition exit. Thought about stretching but didn't.
Read Starcorp's inspire. Set up and reset up all my stuff. Checked my tires , stressed for a few minutes. Socialized for a few minutes. Found a convenient bathroom and used it 6 times - even split - you do the math.
Event warmup:

Very little warm up. Just didn't feel like it. Did a lot of mental focusing.
Did swim for about 5 minutes - about 150M. And that made me feel quite good.
Tried to find a good place to seed myself. Everyone was bunched in the centre. I found a nice quiet spot on the far left (clockwise course) with a view.
Swim
  • 41m 24s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Didn't need to do much sighting, I swam very straight and there was zero current or wind.
Started a far left and aimed right for the buoy. Didn't have to do any course correction! A couple of times had to navigate around people who were slowing down or kinking me or punching me in the head. At one point I got one person (mid course!) cut me off and then stopped right in front of me. A little later on two people converged right in front of me and stopped. I think they banged heads or something...it sounded like two coconuts hitting.
Very happy with swim. Water was clear and just the right temp.
I could have gone faster. Finished fresh.
Suit needs replacing - or I need to gain more weight again.
What would you do differently?:

Push myself a little harder. I was worried about cramping or getting out of breath and that never happened.
I could have easily been at least two minutes faster. I felt very comfortable.
Was worried about my suit being too baggy and chafing, but that wasn't an issue...it is still too baggy.
I felt like I was complete control in the water. My watch strap came loose and almost off - I calmly stopped, fixed it and kept going, only missing maybe 2 strokes. Same with navigating around people that were hitting me, just calmly corrected course and went on.
Breast stroked maybe a total of 10 strokes and then only to see what some goofs were doing around a turnaround buoy. Great swim!
Transition 1
  • 05m 20s
Comments:

Tried something different. Beach was very sandy. Instead of using the strippers, I ran with my suit (bottom) still on and pealed it off myself at beside my bike. It worked very well. Still lost about 50 seconds trying to clear all the sand out of my toes and getting my socks on.
Used up time getting sunblock on (first time I've ever done this) and I missed my shoulder blades entirely - ouch. Everything went well and according to plan. New helmet was no problem with my pony tail.
Stopped and had a very long pee just before getting going. Ran with bike to mount line. Didn't forget anything.

Sand was an issue, but I still don't think I would use a bucket/pan. Organizationally it is too much for me to think about pre-race.
Everything else went really well. Great transition spot. used curb as a seat, bathroom break was well timed! Ran with bike - first time I've ever done that. All good
Bike
  • 3h 19m 23s
  • 96 kms
  • 28.89 km/hr
Comments:

Played Cat and Mouse with Trisportnick who passed me just as I went to the bathroom at the turnaround.
He is an incredible climber! I would burn by him on the downhills and out pedal him on the straightaways, but he would always catch up...I burned myself out almost trying to keep ahead of him...He came in about a minute behind me, but was only a few seconds slower on the bike time - great motivation for me!
Felt a little burnt out near the last 1/3 of the way back. I think I was starting to bonk. Looked at my mileage had about 15k to go. I had trouble getting motivated...then I realized I needed more food....took in a gel and it all came back.
Spun over 100 the last 3 k in town, but also did some hard pulling because I was worried Nick would catch up! Legs felt fresh in transition.

Some of the interesting observations:
One "bump" in the road had collected 8 yellow aerobottle sponges, 5 bottles and three flats as I went by safely.

Signs saying "race" in progress on the road were in the way and had to be ridden around creating a dangerous situation - Yes they were the great big diamond ones - just picture it!

A Texas Gate (cow catcher) at the turnaround gave a big scare the night before as it looked like it would eat wheels - but it was insignificant because it was covered with particle board.

Staying to the right of the white line was next to impossible in places where there was gravel and rumble strips.
A couple of times I had to put my breaks on to avoid drafting because there was no way to safely pass a rider.
Did a lot of swearing every time nick passed me - I think he passed me four times (I passed him five!)

One woman wouldn't yield when I yelled LEFT! four times. When I finally went around her by crossing the white line, she yelled at me and said she can't fix a flat, so why should she risk getting off the clean road surface!???

My bike is fast...very fast. But I only hit a top speed of 69.9...I think I was a little tentative with all the gravel and sand. I really missed my 11 tooth cog, that I sacrificed for the 27 inch one...I could have pedaled harder in places.

Slowest speed was 9.8k/hr up one hill on way back...with a headwind...there was some serious soul searching here. I was never uncomfortable though.

My hip was hurting a bit. I took one advil and within 10 minutes things got good"er" in a hurray.

Nutrition was perfect. One and a half bottles of Glyco concentrate (egg taste and all!) One powerbar over half an hour...lots of chewing!, two power gels, three bottles of water - two of which I grabbed on the fly and emptied into my aero bottle. Other than the slight near-bonk experience, nutrition was perfect - and it helped on the run too.
No problems with electrolytes...although it was overcast on bike. Took 2 e-load pills every 20-40 minutes. This worked out well. Didn't have any gatorade on ride.

Had a pee at the turnaround.
This is a major achievement! At Morden Half last year I peed four times while riding the bike! I really tried to pee while riding but I just couldn't do it...I really didn't need to anyway and waited until T2

Try to go a little stronger in the last part without burning myself out before the run.
I was worried about flatting...everybody was, so I may have been a little less reckless than I normally am on the downhills.

More hill work...I have to get stronger climbing the hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Fast transition for me. Everything went like clockwork. Didn't forget anything.
Had all my gels in a flask, had some e-load pills and Advil in a ziplock and my asthma meds. They all fit nicely in the Zoot suit pockets.
Shoes went on well.
Stopped for a pee before leaving.
Great transition.

Nothing.
Ride even faster than Nick on the uphills!
Run
  • 2h 19m 30s
  • 21 kms
  • 06m 38s  min/km
Comments:

Not my best run...but my best HIM run. My plan was to only walk the aid stations. I did that except for two spots where I just broke down a bit and walked and two hills (same one) where almost no one ran.
Felt tired but never out of it.
It was hot...could feel the heat in the souls of my feet. Biggest battle was with mental toughness...had to convince myself to just keep going. Got passed by Nick in first 2k. Kept a pretty consistent pace although I started faster than I finished.
I was beating myself up for not going faster, but realized I was still passing some people - but was passed by plenty others. I'm content with this run.
Clothes worked out perfectly - Zoot 2-piece. No chaffing! No extra bulk.
Shoes got soaked and muddy from water and sweat dripping onto them.

Made a brilliant discovery. Instead of ice under the hat, just hold the ice. It lasts between aid stations. Give you something to do and cools the whole body down through the extremities. It was brilliant.

Nutrition was spot on. One flask with three powergels and a little water in it. every 40 minutes or so. 2 e-load pills every 30 minutes. Water sips at every station. Gatorade at the last two stations. One Stinger gel at the last aid station - I had run out of powergel and wanted a pickmeup for the run home. Lots of ice.
Water on the head at every station.

Good fast sprint to finish. Passed three people.
Competent run!

Push harder and run faster. I don't think I made any mistakes, just could have worked a little harder.
When I got passed I should have used some of their speed to keep up a bit. I didn't do this. I again was too worried about not blowing up. I didn't come close to blowing up.
Otherwise it was all good.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Hung out with Nick and some of the other peeps...Including my Dauphine friends.
A little stretching. Should have gone into the lake, I didn't know that we were able too - it is a closed (member's only) lake.
Went into the pool and then the whirlpool several times at the hotel.
Met up with friends after the banquet.
Banquet included beans and cabbage/coleslaw...Not a great idea - they had to crack some windows!

Got a nifty towel and shirt and really heavy medal for my hassles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. I guessed I would do about 6:30 so I was ten minutes faster.
This race went according to plan and training, although I probably could have gone faster at everything.

Event comments:

Last year I did Morden in 7:11:24...The bike was 6k shorter and the swim 100m shorter at Morden.
I did this longer race in 6:20:15. The results speak for themselves.

Great race.
Even better racing side by side with Nick and Highwaydog. This was a formative race for me.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:24 | 2000 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 27/39
Overall: 117/158
Performance: Good
100 metres longer than a standard half course. Heart rate spiked at about 100 just before I got in the water. It is normally about 60-70bpms. I forced myself to relax and did.
Suit: ATAC - baggy - I've lost more girth
Course: 2 laps clockwise triangular course in Lake Mindapore.Had to get out of water and run around beach buoy. Very shallow and long beach run. Very easy to sight buoys, except when heading east- bright sun.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 26F / -3C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:19:23 | 96 kms | 28.89 km/hr
Age Group: 22/39
Overall: 63/158
Transition is included. Actual bike time is (3:11). One lap out into Kananaskis Country - Bragg Creek on Highway 22X. HR average was about 135.
Wind: Headwind
Course: Wow! Great course, but covered with sand and grit and gravel. I'm sure over 30 people flatted. This was hilly. We drove the course the day before, but it was hillier than I expected. Road was pretty dangerous, but police were at the most dangerous intersections and I only had two close calls - one where I had to stand on my pedals for the police to see me in time to stop a PICKUP TRUCK! that wasn't paying attention and another back in the city where a mother carrying a kid and pulling two others tried to dart in front of me when I was going about 40 k/hr! Did I mention it was hilly. Cross winds on way out and head winds on way back. Lots of rollers. Way out stayed on big chain ring. Way back (with headwind) hit the small chain ring a few times on the uphills. Passed 130 people.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:19:30 | 21 kms | 06m 38s  min/km
Age Group: 22/39
Overall: 108/158
Hot. HR was about 140-152...Never went too high Second lap was a killer when the fatigue set in!
Course: Run on dirt path, gravel and fresh, black ashphalt. Two laps. through Fish Creek Park. Parts were tree covered other parts were in full, blazing sun. You could see runners 1 km ahead and others coming back on adjacent trail. Both demotivating and inpirational. poplar fluff flying everywhere made it difficult to breathe at times...busy picnic traffic on course was a little annoying and confusing around aid stations. Aid stations were not at a consistent distance from each other and that was a little difficult to get my head around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-23 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: Chinook Half Ironman Triathlon

2008-06-23 2:32 PM
in reply to: #1483089

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Chinook Half Ironman Triathlon
Awesome job, it was a fun race.
2008-06-23 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city
Stud!  Great race!  Pretty amazing to watch you improve and get faster quickly like that.  The training pays off big time!
2008-06-23 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Congratulations on an extremely well executed race! To beat last year's time by almost an hour is really incredible. Fantastic result!
2008-06-23 3:21 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-06-23 4:20 PM

Pro
A farming town in MN

You rocked this race...PR by 50 minutes!

Heh...sounds like you missed the same spot...I still have 2 dark brown spots on my shoulder blades...

I never lost my aerobottle 'sponge.'  But a guy in front of me did...he got so ticked off, he ripped the aerobottle off and threw it to the side of the road...

Now if I just had nutrition figured out like you did, I think I could have knocked about 15 minutes off my time.  Way to do your homework!

You had an awesome race...

2008-06-23 4:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lethbridge, AB
Well done!   Like you said to me last week... so much of it is mental and you did awesome.  What an improvement over last year. 
2008-06-23 5:23 PM

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

1.  Congratulations.  What a difference a year makes.
2.  Mental toughness is paramount to executing your race plan effectively.  Well done.
3.  I'm glad you were so well hydrated... again .
4.  Nice change for someone to bring you coffee in the morning!  Don't let BoyToy catch wind of that or else he may want to race with Highwaydog.
5.  You write good and purty.
7.  Great job, Terry!

2008-06-23 6:04 PM

Regular
Regina, Saskatchewan

LOL!!  I'm glad I scare you so much on the bike course!  Maybe in the next HIM in Morden I'll take my mask off!!   Congrats once again on a phenomenal improvement!!!  GREAT RACE!!

2008-06-23 9:37 PM

Winnipeg

Wow, awesome race! sounds like you guys had a great time together...i'm jealous! fantastic training pays fantastic results!

big high five! (p.s. if everybody is doing it next year...i'm driving to regina & coming along!)

2008-06-23 11:58 PM

Veteran
Sask.
Great job and awesome improvement from last year!

2008-06-24 12:22 AM

Regina, Saskatchewan

Holy crap man, reading your race report reminds me you have to be prepared for these races. Awesome buddy, I knew you would do well and exclipse everything you did in the past. What a differance a year has made for you; no question, I have never seen anyone improve so much, so fast.

See you at IM speedy ;-)

2008-06-27 10:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chinook Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed