General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm fat, I tri and I'm mad!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-06-25 8:55 PM

Chicagoland Area
Subject: I'm fat, I tri and I'm mad!!

Money mouth

Imagine me at my third triathlon this weekend.  I was excited to attend the expo, find some fun tanks, tees, shorts, suits...all of the stuff that helps us identify that we are triathletes.  The "I TRI therefore I am" stuff, you all know what I am talking about.

I see women in all shapes and sizes at this all female event.   I would venture a guess that 10% of the gals are size 16 and bigger.  Some even (gasp) are the same size as me 18 - 22 (depending on the maker)

I go from booth to booth, feeling more and more dejected each castaway bin I tear through.  There is NOTHING that fits my frame, let alone my breasts.  Nothing for my top or bottom.  Even the technical T's that are free giveaways, I can't get a tank top because they don't have it in my size.  I settle for the short sleeve version.  I am surprised at this point that there isn't a sign on the back of the tee that says something like "we were forced to give this fat girl a t-shirt" 

I am not the size that you imagine a triathlete should be.  I don't look like the rest of my tri team either, but we can go head to head in an event.  I want to wear the t-shirts, the skorts.  I want a wet suit to swim in lake Michigan in August. 

Where are the manufacturers who understand that curvey women (and men?) have money too.   

I come home with a bumpersticker and a pair of socks resigned to the fact that 2 years into this, I still can't find a "fit" in this sport.

http://healthatmysize.wordpress.com/author/healthatmysize/

2008-06-25 9:17 PM
in reply to: #1490694

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Subject: RE: I'm fat, I tri and I'm mad!!

I went to one of the wetsuit sites and used their online wetsuit finder. I diligently entered all my info, clicked on the find wetsuits button and eagerly awaited the results. The message I got was essentially "we don't have a wet suit to fit you". WTF

Don't let it get you down. I have an idea for you. The next time they have the tank tops tell them you want two, one for each breast. Skinny girls who are members of the ITBC hate that.

Laughing

2008-06-25 9:37 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Joster - Are you doing Accenture?

I feel your lack of finding items that fit. While these days I'm getting to the point where I can fit into the L/XL stuff, beleive me I know exactly what you mean having been there. It sucks that a sports that claims to be so inclusive doesn't put it's money when it's mouth is.

Even now finding a wetsuit is a nightmare.

2008-06-26 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH
it seems that the sport is about $10K bikes that weigh 14lbs and "euro" sizing.  Not all manufacturers are good about sizing.  Pearl Izumi and Craft are among the smaller ones.  Nike (if you can still find it) makes great cycling gear especially the 10/2.  Garneau seems to be pretty good for men but for women I would guess it's wayyyyyyyyyyyy undersized.    The problem is simply economics.  Once the market gets big enough people will be selling the bigger gear.  For now they just blow it off.  There are some threads here talking about what companies are good to women and men who don't fit the "mold".  It's frustrating but be sure that you send your money to the companies who are reaching out to the clyde/athena nation.     
2008-06-26 8:14 AM
in reply to: #1490771

Chicagoland Area
Yep, I am doing Accenture.  Did the Sprint last year with no wetsuit....very cold but doable, but I was ready to get out of that water.  This year, I am doing international distance and I feel like I should have a wetsuit.  Promotion might be the place for me.  Of course this is going to cost me about $360...much more than my smaller impish fellow athletes!!  Oh well.  I'll keep looking.  Are you doing Accenture?
2008-06-26 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
MA
josterme - 2008-06-25 9:55 PM

Money mouth

Imagine me at my third triathlon this weekend. I was excited to attend the expo, find some fun tanks, tees, shorts, suits...all of the stuff that helps us identify that we are triathletes. The "I TRI therefore I am" stuff, you all know what I am talking about.

I see women in all shapes and sizes at this all female event. I would venture a guess that 10% of the gals are size 16 and bigger. Some even (gasp) are the same size as me 18 - 22 (depending on the maker)

I go from booth to booth, feeling more and more dejected each castaway bin I tear through. There is NOTHING that fits my frame, let alone my breasts. Nothing for my top or bottom. Even the technical T's that are free giveaways, I can't get a tank top because they don't have it in my size.

Could it be they did have them but ran out before you got there? You said yourself that your size is in the minority... sizes made in small quantities run out early.

2008-06-26 9:15 AM

Chicagoland Area
Way to think postitive.   If this wasn't my third race, I would lean toward that as a possibility.  Also, I was there pretty early.  But, I appreciate the sentiment and can sometimes use a dose of positive!!  Thanks.
2008-06-26 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
I did my first tri this last weekend and there was a booth there with very cute shirts (http://makeyourmark.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=1) and the largest size they had was an XL. These were the cute girly shirts that usually fit very snugly so I picked one up and immediately put it down. I sent an email to the company telling them that there is a certain population in the tri world that doesn't conform to the 'standard' sizing and that they should look into marketing to us as well. I told them that if they would have had the larger sizes, they probably would have sold out that day. Of course, I haven't received a response back, but it made me feel better to send it.

I think if I was more the entrepreneur type, I'd start a clothing company for all of us Athenas and Clydes
2008-06-26 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH
We like to call it Team Hippo Multisport lol.  Clothing for those who want something more.
2008-06-26 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Josterme -

Yep, I'm also doing the Accenture Oly too. I need to get myself down to the lake to see how cold the water is, but I have a feeling for a mile swim there is no way I can do without the wetsuit. I was also considering getting one from promotion because of their sizing if I can't find a used one.

2008-06-26 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1492125

Chicagoland Area

Kappie

I just that vendor an e-mail as well....even if it wasn't the same event.  Thanks for the link. 

Edited by josterme 2008-06-26 12:54 PM

2008-06-26 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH
Just for the record... I have a promotion wetsuit (just got it) and I'm not pleased with how it's holding up.  My last wetsuit from them was great this one is not up to par.  I hope they take it back as the seams are coming apart (the crotch) and the stickers are coming off the arms.  I also HATE the leg zippers and will avoid them in the future.  
2008-06-26 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Thanks for the feedback Chris - What model was the promotion one you dislike?

I'm also thinking about a BlueSeventy. It will be a bit long on me, but could work.
2008-06-26 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have a Blue Seventy - its a womens XL Athena - fits great. I am a 14. Don't know if that helps but I ordered it from Trisports.com I think at the end of last season for about $170.
2008-06-26 5:09 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I got a QR when I was 50 lbs over the weight recommendation and it fit me. IF you need a wetsuit QR is your friend. Of course try to get it in a store so you can see if it fits. At Accenture they had alot of suits pretty cheap but then you take your chances.

A local tri store here the largest size they carry is L.
2008-06-26 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
central Iowa

I will second the blue seventy. They had a much wider range of sizes, and I've noticed a number of curvier women wearing them.  Also they have reasonable prices.  I don't have a typical triathlete build and blue seventy was the only brand I researched that had my height and weight paired up.

2008-06-26 8:33 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH

If you look in my albums you'll see the pics under "wetsuit falling apart".  I have emailed promotion so we'll see but after the first email I'm not optimistic.  

The stickers on the sleeve that are supposed to serve a purpose apparently don't and are expected to fall off.  Per the explanation I got from promotion.  I'm not a wetsuit designer but if my suits were falling apart I'd change something in the manufacturing process.  Now the seams in the crotch area are peeling apart.  I seriously hope they say "you got the monday suit so send it back" but I assume they'll tell me oh that's supposed to happen when you use it 12 times.  I'll fill out the gear review once they give me the final answer.  The zippers on the back of the legs are nothing but a huge pain.  Think about it you are out of breath from swimming and running and now you have to deal with zippers in the most inconvenient location.  The suit bends funny so when I go to pull it off my arms it gets stuck on my elbows.  Again maybe I got the bad one but I have my doubts.  Performance has been blah with my times up from last year.  Sizing was good but there are too many buts.  I bought the men's powerglide.  The big difference is that it's supposed to be somewhat less buoyant in the legs.  And that's my .02 on this wetsuit.      

2008-06-27 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Here's the response I got from the company I emailed about their lack of bigger sizes...

First, congratulations on your accomplishment in the naperville triathlon!

Thank you very much for your feedback on the sizing of our shirts. To be honest, that is a topic we have had much discussion about. The challenge with launching our company is that until we can make our own shirts we are reliant on other manufacturers for our shirts. With our focus also on quality and style, the shirts we chose unfortunately were not available in any size larger. Having said that though, we are working on seeking out other manufacturers that offer more of a variety of sizes without compromising the style and quality of pure brand.

The naperville event was our launch so we still have a lot to learn. One thing
we do know is we want to continue inspiring women like you!

Thank you so much for your honest feedback. Please know it is taken to heart.

Best of luck in all of your endeavors!

make your mark,

Erin & Jennifer
Co-founders of make your mark

I suppose I can understand where they're coming from, being a new company and all. So, then, what is the excuse for all of the established companies out there who refuse to include us in their target audience?
2008-06-27 9:57 AM
in reply to: #1493471

Christris - 2008-06-26 9:33 PM

If you look in my albums you'll see the pics under "wetsuit falling apart".  I have emailed promotion so we'll see but after the first email I'm not optimistic.       

When I read "wetsuit falling apart" I immediately thought you were talking about 2XU. My 2XU Team suit started falling apart after 30 minutes. You can see my review on this site, or (if I am allowed to post links) you can read the whole story at www.2xureview.com

Needless to say, I am not happy with 2XU.

Brent

2008-06-27 10:03 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I love 2xu. only tri top that is almost long enough to cover me.
2008-06-27 10:53 AM

Master
I've tried Louis Garneau tri tops and I feel like I'm wearing the bro. The best tri gear for me by far is DeSoto.

2008-06-28 11:12 PM

User image

I definately run into this problem! I spent hours trying to find clothes to weart in the IM. XL womens just don't cover me the way I want them too. I am not a skinny little thing, so my rolls need to be covered! I also hate walking around expos and finding nothing that fits! I ended up with a 2XU jersy and it seemed a little longer than some, which made a big difference for me!
I ended up with a promotion mens wetsuit which has been good so far. I ordered a womens 16, one of the only places that had them that big! They called me and had sold it over the weekend. I was in a hurry so they helped to figure out the best fit in mens, and it has worked out better than the womens I have squeezed into. Not sure I am a fan of the zipper ankles, but the rest works!
2008-06-29 12:11 AM
in reply to: #1494215

User image

Champion
Sydney
bmagnant - 2008-06-28 12:57 AM
Christris - 2008-06-26 9:33 PM

If you look in my albums you'll see the pics under "wetsuit falling apart". I have emailed promotion so we'll see but after the first email I'm not optimistic.

When I read "wetsuit falling apart" I immediately thought you were talking about 2XU. My 2XU Team suit started falling apart after 30 minutes. You can see my review on this site, or (if I am allowed to post links) you can read the whole story at www.2xureview.com

Needless to say, I am not happy with 2XU.

Brent

Im really surprised - 2XU (at least here in Aussie) have incredible customer service and a call to them directly to talk to someone is the way to go.

I just read your experience and it sounds incredibly frustrating. I do not work for them or anything but have been involved with a group that has stuff custom ordered with them in the past year and know a lot of people who wear it... all feedback has been positive. But, as with all products, sometimes things go wrong - but I know they do have a replacement policy for defective gear here on return of the defective product. (Asking for the suit to be returned for replacement is standard operating procedure for most companies)

Having said all that it sounds like a very frustrating experience I cant find a record of you speaking to anyone in person at 2XU in your complaint and I highly recommend you give it a go, if you have the energy to take it any further...

Good Luck!  

Cat 

2008-06-29 12:15 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

OK - as a bigger (and more voluptuous) chick I highly recommend looking at the guys cycling/tri gear if you want something... you might not be able to get much in pink but apart from that the sizing tends to go up to larger sizes and fit quite well.

In fact I have a pair of nike mens cycling shorts that are the most comfortable pair I have EVER owned... its sad that it can be hard to get womens clothes if you are not the 'standard' tri sizes - but the positive is sometimes the mens stuff is actually better (depending on your taste of course!)

Congrats on your race!

Cat 

2008-06-29 4:44 PM

User image

You gals need to go to www.skirtsports.com . Their trikini shorts size form 0/2 - 20/22, and they are pretty true to size. They fit great. I have those, roller girl and gym girl skorts as well as the last years trikini tank. They have a good length and they wash very nicely. By the way, I am a 14/16 and have a very large chest. I can wear their bottoms in a large, and tops as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm fat, I tri and I'm mad!! Rss Feed  

of 3