General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm fat, I tri and I'm mad!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-06-29 6:15 PM
in reply to: #1497478

User image

Expert
Virginia
Subject: RE: I'm fat, I tri and I'm mad!!

JenLeath - 2008-06-29 5:44 PM You gals need to go to www.skirtsports.com . Their trikini shorts size form 0/2 - 20/22, and they are pretty true to size. They fit great. I have those, roller girl and gym girl skorts as well as the last years trikini tank. They have a good length and they wash very nicely. By the way, I am a 14/16 and have a very large chest. I can wear their bottoms in a large, and tops as well.

i'd have to disagree.  i ordered a few things from there excited that they go up to a size 20/22 and nothing fits as advertised.  i think that if you are a curvy girl on the bottom, you have to go up a size. my friend that is more straight up and down fits into their size great - but she's very proportional.  not hippy or busty.

another suggestion for where to get plus sized stuff - ebay!  i just got a xxl women's tri suit nwt for $30.  not quite the cute stuff with sayings, but brand new and it fits perfectly.  i would have paid a lot more for that suit in the store - over $100. 

2008-06-29 7:03 PM
in reply to: #1496891

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
kaqphin - 2008-06-28 10:15 PM

OK - as a bigger (and more voluptuous) chick I highly recommend looking at the guys cycling/tri gear if you want something... you might not be able to get much in pink but apart from that the sizing tends to go up to larger sizes and fit quite well.

In fact I have a pair of nike mens cycling shorts that are the most comfortable pair I have EVER owned... its sad that it can be hard to get womens clothes if you are not the 'standard' tri sizes - but the positive is sometimes the mens stuff is actually better (depending on your taste of course!)

Congrats on your race!

Cat

Well, I can buy guys cycling shorts, but jerseys?  Forget it.  No matter how big I get them, they roll up from the bottom, cause they are built for a person with a gut not hips.  

When the thing is designed to fit snugly over the stomach and stay there - it rolls up like a demon when you try to get it to stay on your hips.

I've given up on men's jersey's and now go for XXL women's cut. Usually Terry since they are about the only ones out there that make a true women's jersey in XL and larger. 

2008-06-29 7:05 PM
in reply to: #1490694

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I figure I've saved TONS of money at expos for just this reason.

Last tri I got a girly headband and a bicycle chain bracelet.  I really wanted one of their cute jersey's but...  oh well, I saved like $70. 

2008-06-30 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Tempe, Arizona (hot hot hot)

I had a rude awakening this week. I wanted a cycling jersey and I found 3x and they didn't go over my shoulders. I wear 2x in all my cloths and a 3x wont wit over my shoulders. I was crushed for a minute but now I am just aiming at getting smaller. The man at the bike store just said "well I guess you need to lose weight" I can't argue, but it was hard to hear. Nothing in this sport fits me and I don't guess I will find anything anytime soon.

When I went to the April IM Arizona I walked around the expo and people looked at me like I was the plague. That was the deffining moment that sling shot me into Triathlons. I will be an Ironman with or without there skinny people cloths. All that matters is that I am an Ironman. And I would much rather be a Clydesdale than a twig.

2008-06-30 4:01 PM

Chicagoland Area

Frankly, that disappoints me more than anything I have seen so far in this thread of information exchange.  I am so sorry that someone was that insensitive to you and I hope you provide this bike shop information to the rest of us, I don't want to shop somewhere that says things that may be hurtful.  Just because you are big, doesn't mean you aren't healthy. 

I encourage you to visit my blog:  http://healthatmysize.wordpress.com/  This is where i talk and write about struggles with issues related to size...because I don't fit the mold.  The assumption that it is "easy" to just lose weight is what gets me.  People, 95 - 98% of people who diet end up gaining that weight back.  I am not saying I don't want to somehow, magically be smaller, but this is a bigger issue than that! 

Try Terry for cycling shirts:  http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail.html?item_no=1966&c=Plus

2008-06-30 7:08 PM
in reply to: #1493930

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az
tricupcake - 2008-06-27 6:22 AM

Here's the response I got from the company I emailed about their lack of bigger sizes...

First, congratulations on your accomplishment in the naperville triathlon!

Thank you very much for your feedback on the sizing of our shirts. To be honest, that is a topic we have had much discussion about. The challenge with launching our company is that until we can make our own shirts we are reliant on other manufacturers for our shirts. With our focus also on quality and style, the shirts we chose unfortunately were not available in any size larger. Having said that though, we are working on seeking out other manufacturers that offer more of a variety of sizes without compromising the style and quality of pure brand.

The naperville event was our launch so we still have a lot to learn. One thing
we do know is we want to continue inspiring women like you!

Thank you so much for your honest feedback. Please know it is taken to heart.

Best of luck in all of your endeavors!

make your mark,

Erin & Jennifer
Co-founders of make your mark

I suppose I can understand where they're coming from, being a new company and all. So, then, what is the excuse for all of the established companies out there who refuse to include us in their target audience?

This letter sounds like a cop out. I run into this issue all the time and I get the same response, "we just didnt know.." Whatever!!!! You can go to any department store and but XL, XXL, and even XXXL clothes for anyone and any sport. however, the sports company or anyone doing athletic type events never seem to understand that these event attracts bigger people as well. Yeah, go ahead and make your XS, S, M and L clothes, but dont forget that we biggin's are also out here. I know that and i want to feel that we are just as "special" as these smaller sized people. Any company that can say "We just didnt know or werent prepared" was only think of normal types. it just come to show you that we biggin's are still not considered part of the athletic world....

Someone had it right, in my next tri if they run out of my size i will ask for two of three, one for each roll....

Edited by mm5093 2008-06-30 7:09 PM

2008-07-01 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1496890

Im really surprised - 2XU (at least here in Aussie) have incredible customer service and a call to them directly to talk to someone is the way to go.

I just read your experience and it sounds incredibly frustrating. I do not work for them or anything but have been involved with a group that has stuff custom ordered with them in the past year and know a lot of people who wear it... all feedback has been positive. But, as with all products, sometimes things go wrong - but I know they do have a replacement policy for defective gear here on return of the defective product. (Asking for the suit to be returned for replacement is standard operating procedure for most companies)

I never spoke on the phone with 2XU World HQ. With the time difference and long distance charges, I thought email and fax would suffice.

I reliaze  every company and every product has issues. In my mind, it is how they deal with these issues that is important.  I feel that knowing they had a defect in manufacturing, they should have sent me a new suit so that I could continue to train. The least they could have done would have been to acknowledge my complaint.

At this point my 10 training days are history. Nobody at 2XU can give me those days back. So the case is closed in my opinion. I love the wetsuit. I just don't think 2XU stood up like they should have.

Brent

2008-07-01 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
oxofthedesert - you shouldn't have to put up with attitudes like that from an LBS, especially where we have a a lot of options to choose from.  PM me and I can recommend some stores locally where you should receive better treatment.
2008-07-01 10:27 AM

Chicagoland Area

Anyone heard of any of the following companies for tri wet suits.....reviews and comments needed.

www. wetsuitwarehouse.com

www.wetsuit.com (promotion wetsuits)

2008-07-01 4:34 PM

Chicagoland Area

By the way, I am going to try on a wetsuit today.  I feel like I am going to vomit from nerves, but I figure, I gotta somehow figure this out.  Read about it:

http://healthatmysize.wordpress.com/

2008-07-03 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
i have had the same issue, josterme! in particular, what drives me nuts is putting in extra effort to find tri and bike shorts that are long enough. it seems like 90% of them have 3" and 5" inseams. can you say "chafing"?? I can find 8" shorts, but it's tough, and almost never in a store. men's shorts are longer, so what's the deal???? do my quads not deserve support too??

2008-07-14 7:43 AM
in reply to: #1492911

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK

DoloresM2 - 2008-06-25 9:49 PM I have a Blue Seventy - its a womens XL Athena - fits great. I am a 14. Don't know if that helps but I ordered it from Trisports.com I think at the end of last season for about $170.

An XL for a size 14 woman? So what size would the size 16-18s be? I'm 5'11" and weigh 200lbs. Ok, a lot of that is muscle, as I'm a UK 14-16, but c'MON! The XL is 160lbs+

2008-07-17 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1506035

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

miche033 - 2008-07-03 7:07 AM i have had the same issue, josterme! in particular, what drives me nuts is putting in extra effort to find tri and bike shorts that are long enough. it seems like 90% of them have 3" and 5" inseams. can you say "chafing"?? I can find 8" shorts, but it's tough, and almost never in a store. men's shorts are longer, so what's the deal???? do my quads not deserve support too??

No kidding.

I just bought my first pair of tri-shorts.  They are mens.

They have about a 10" inseam which is nice, supportive and not so incidentally, covers a lot of the  "thigh jiggle."

WTH is UP with ALL women's tri-shorts w/ inseam of 3" to 5"?  Looked at a couple of sites with 2X or XXL women's sizes, which would fit my booty - but there is No Way I am going to run around in a 3" inseam.  

Sometimes... I just really wonder what the women's athletic clothing designers are thinking.  Not everyone wants to run around in something that exposes every possible inch of skin. 

2008-07-17 10:47 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
My solution to the tri-shorts issue was the danskin running capris. They are fairly generous in size... I'm wearing the M size now and I'm about a size 14 currently, so while they don't come in the larger plus sizes, they will fit some of us I'd say size 20 and less. Danskin does have plus size to 3x capris just not these same ones with the tri-pocket.

I can't wear tri/bike shorts in public because the leg grips always squeeze my fat at the bottom and make me look really heavy... I've lost a lot of weight so my legs aren't looking really happy these days. The running capris hold everything in nicely.

The ones I got here are these ones:

http://www.danskin.com/runningtight-9789.html

They were fine for swimming in and dried quickly.

2008-07-24 10:41 AM
in reply to: #1501568

User image

Lafayette, CO

BHannahs - 2008-07-01 10:20 AM oxofthedesert - you shouldn't have to put up with attitudes like that from an LBS, especially where we have a a lot of options to choose from.  PM me and I can recommend some stores locally where you should receive better treatment.

I concur!  I can't recommend a shop in your local area but get the heck out of there and do not spend your money in that store.  I'd report the comment to ownership as well.  Dude, you're an IRONMAN!  And personally I would have looked at him and told him so.  That is something to be enormously proud of.

I went through my own struggle last weekend trying to find a tri shirt  and just decided to go with a regular cycling jersey which, oddly is a Pearl Izumi and fits fairly loosely.  I am loosing weight so I don't want to invest in a full tri suit yet but hoping to next season so it's swimsuit with cycling shorts/jersey over it for my aquabike this weekend.  Not ideal but it'll work. 

2008-07-25 4:39 PM
in reply to: #1538473

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
cadreamer - 2008-07-17 5:29 PM

miche033 - 2008-07-03 7:07 AM i have had the same issue, josterme! in particular, what drives me nuts is putting in extra effort to find tri and bike shorts that are long enough. it seems like 90% of them have 3" and 5" inseams. can you say "chafing"?? I can find 8" shorts, but it's tough, and almost never in a store. men's shorts are longer, so what's the deal???? do my quads not deserve support too??

No kidding.

I just bought my first pair of tri-shorts.  They are mens.

They have about a 10" inseam which is nice, supportive and not so incidentally, covers a lot of the  "thigh jiggle."

WTH is UP with ALL women's tri-shorts w/ inseam of 3" to 5"?  Looked at a couple of sites with 2X or XXL women's sizes, which would fit my booty - but there is No Way I am going to run around in a 3" inseam.  

Could I please go shopping with you? I can only ever find 6-8" inseam shorts. I actually WANT the 4" ones.

I've totally been where the size 14-18s here are. I"m 5'9" and at one time weighed 200. It was really hard to find stuff to wear running, wear on the bike, etc. It all looked like sausage casing.

Now that I dropped 50#, I am still 5'9", broad-shouldered, and STILL do not fit in some of the gear. This was VERY disappointing to say the least. I always thought, hey, when I'm done losing this, I can wear all the great stuff! Ha! Nike will probably never get my business. Most of their size L women's garments look and fit like they're for a large-ish 2nd grader. And the problem is not 'the girls' - I am kindly described as 'aerodynamic' -  the shirt just doesn't go all the way around. Still lookin' like a sausage casing.

Now I know I'm larger than the average 5'4" woman, but sheesh. Can't even a skinny big girl get a break?

To the poster who got told by the LBS that they should lose weight: Ya shoulda said, "OK, I guess I'll just go naked until then. " See what the moron says to that!!! What on freakin' earth was that clerk thinking????

Also - regarding the new company that had limited sizes - New companies have to be very careful when just starting out, otherwise they become that company that went under.  Manufacturers do have minimum orders, usually in the dozens, and frequently do have lines of styles with limited sizes. A company has to guess what will sell and spend limited funds accordingly. If you've only got the $$ to buy 4 dozen shirts, and need to turn them over in 60 days to have the cash to pay for them, should they buy tried and true s-m-l-xl, or gamble on m-l-xl-xxl ...or what? They play it safe. Unless the company is specifically marketing toward the larger of us, they will target who they think will buy the shirts. It is too much of a gamble for small companies to have that deep of sizes in stock. Too much $$ invested at once.  If they discover that they can sell the bigger sizes, they'll keep ordering them. So keep asking, eventually you'll get their attention.

2008-07-26 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
el-in-or, I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm 5'9" and 171 lbs. I have never liked anything tight fighting. Knowing that, I ordered an XXL Zoot tritop online thinking that would work. Ha, I couldn't hardly get it over my head, much less my "girls" (40C). I showed it to my family and they couldn't believe it was an XXL. I got an XL tech shirt at my last tri and it leaves very little to the imagination. And don't even get me started on trying to find cycling jerseys! But I will say that I do LOVE my Orca onepiece trisuit!
2008-07-26 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
el-in-or, I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm 5'9" and 171 lbs. I have never liked anything tight fighting. Knowing that, I ordered an XXL Zoot tritop online thinking that would work. Ha, I couldn't hardly get it over my head, much less my "girls" (40C). I showed it to my family and they couldn't believe it was an XXL. I got an XL tech shirt at my last tri and it leaves very little to the imagination. And don't even get me started on trying to find cycling jerseys! But I will say that I do LOVE my Orca onepiece trisuit!
2008-07-26 2:02 PM

Veteran
JenLeath - 2008-06-29 4:44 PM

You gals need to go to www.skirtsports.com . Their trikini shorts size form 0/2 - 20/22, and they are pretty true to size. They fit great. I have those, roller girl and gym girl skorts as well as the last years trikini tank. They have a good length and they wash very nicely. By the way, I am a 14/16 and have a very large chest. I can wear their bottoms in a large, and tops as well.

My complaint about skirtsports is the that I their sports bras only go up to a c cup. I am a large d if not dd. So it makes it difficult to find anything to contain the girls let alone keep from flogging myself during the run portion. I bust out of my tri top and sports bras anymore.

Kara
2008-07-31 4:34 PM

Chicagoland Area

Run Chicago told me they have some plus size running stuff in.  Check it out.  I'll be there tomorrow!!

http://healthatmysize.wordpress.com/run-chigago-says-come-on-down/

2008-08-09 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Do you find you need to wear a sports bra under their trikini tanks or does it offer enough support that you don't need it?

2008-08-09 9:02 PM
in reply to: #1592130

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Fechter99 - 2008-08-09 2:35 PM Do you find you need to wear a sports bra under their trikini tanks or does it offer enough support that you don't need it?

Wear a sports bra if you have a chest.  I'm a 36D and I have to wear a more supportive sports bra underneath.  The ones in the tri top are more like the self bras you find in tank tops.  They don't really hold anything up or offer much support. 

2008-08-10 7:46 AM
in reply to: #1592482

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Thanks for the info.  Any suggestions for a sports bra that dries quickly and does not cause drag during the swim?  I am a 38C.  Earlier in July, I had found an underarmor bra that fit great but was not sure how it would work for the swim portion so I had returned it but now I wish I had kept it even to use for run training.

I just ordered a XL danskin tri top and sugoi tri shorts  (XL men's 7.5"from REI.com who had their tri clothing on sale.  I am 185lbs and wear a 14/16 on top and I wear a 16/18 on the bottom half I was able to try on the shorts since they are the same as my husband owns.  I probably could have gone with the large but figured if I really did not like them once I got them and tried them for training, I could give them to my husband and then can hope to either pick up the larges in the store or online. 

I know that I posted to another thread but I do own a JAM trisuit (made for women but come in pastel colors) which is a large and fits great even though they say size L is for 12/14.  I do love it because it offers all the support I need - no jiggle or bounce - so no need for a sports bra.   It is next to impossible to get in and out of when you are wet.  Thank goodness I did not have to go to the bathroom until after the sprint tri was over.

2008-08-10 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1592621

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Fechter99 - 2008-08-10 8:46 AM

Thanks for the info. Any suggestions for a sports bra that dries quickly and does not cause drag during the swim? I am a 38C. Earlier in July, I had found an underarmor bra that fit great but was not sure how it would work for the swim portion so I had returned it but now I wish I had kept it even to use for run training.

I wear a Champion C9 bra that I got at Target.  You can get the normal kind in the sports department or they have sized ones with more support in the bra department.  I've used both and they all dry pretty quickly or drag much.  I know other people really recommend the Moving Comfort bras. 

2008-08-11 1:14 PM

Chicagoland Area
Ladies, check out the Enell if you get a chance.  They are awesome.  I have a very large cup size but am very PLEASED with how the enell holds the girls in.  Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm fat, I tri and I'm mad!! Rss Feed  

of 3