General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flovilla, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 30m 48s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 13/23
Pre-race routine:

I stayed in one of the cottages right across from the State Park, so I was up @ 5:15, showered, knocked down a cup of coffee & ate a cup of fruit and a yogurt. Headed over to the park about 6:15 or so. Got marked and picked up my chip and set up my transition area while I talked to a few people I knew and met a couple of new folks in my area...
Event warmup:

Swam a hundred meters or so and milled around on the beach talking to a few more people and meeting a few more...
Swim
  • 17m 33s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did better on this swim even though the time doesn't reflect it [It was a pretty long run up to T1 that added to the swim time]-- I did a lot in freestyle and mixed in a little side stroke -- It was the roughest of the three tris I've done - I guess it was where I was in the midst of the pack, but I was slapping and getting slapped and kicked all the way with only a few brief moments of clear water... But, for some sick reason, I enjoyed all the pushing, shoving and gasping for air...
What would you do differently?:

Keep on working on doing everything freestyle, then get better form...
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Beat my previous two T1 times by 15 seconds...

Keep getting accustomed to doing it all under the pressure of real time racing...
Bike
  • 42m 20s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 18.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Being in the 6th of 7 waves, and being a slow swimmer puts me in the back of the whole pack getting on the bike - But I like it that way because you're passing people all along the way and getting passed very little. I was doing fine on the bike for me - Finally no back pain and the legs felt great. I was averaging almost 20 mph coming to the final big giant downhill (I'd been looking forward to that thing for 11 miles! Well, I maneuvered around a couple people coming up to Hwy 42 so I could swing wide and hit the highway and big hill as fast as possible - Crossing the center of the highway I hit those warning ribs pretty hard and fast and, well, that's when I saw my Garmin go flying off the bike, hit the highway once, and bounce into the weeds into the ditch across the highway -- CRAP!!! I got stopped, tunned around, and 4 or 5 people, (including one of the deputies at the intersection) were jumping in the ditch looking for the Garmin -- Thanks to the little local fella who jumped up out of the ditch with the Garmin, ran it over to me, and said, "Is this all there is to it?" - Kudos to the Garmin though - 20 mph impact on the highway and it kept right on ticking - Along with my time! Of course, when I clipped back in and started to ease back into the highway trying to avoid running out in front of someone, I realized I was in high gear - CRAP!! - I guess I lost 3 or 4 minutes at least in the Garmin episode - Oh well... Hit the downhill as hard as I could go a bit discouraged at all the people who had come by me as I looked dumbfounded at the reality of it all standing there on the side of the road - I recognized most of them because I'd passed them somewhere along the 11 miles we'd made up to that point -- CRAP!!

Uhh - Not hit the bumps so hard...
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Getting better at the transition - Just need more practice to get more accustomed to doing everything the same way every time...

Keep practcing...
Run
  • 27m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where the wheels ran off - I just wimped out on the run - I actually walked a couple of hills, and just couldn't get myself to hunker down and quicken my turnover on the hills - I let myself get beaten mentally on this run more than physically... It was nice, though, to have our very own marvarnett back out on the course cheering everybody on to the last .5 mile of the run -- ( Oh, and Dan, I just love what you've done with the hair ;) )

Get tougher mentally...
Post race
Warm down:

Felt like I was in an oven as I crossed the finish line - Made sure to tell everybody who would listen about the Garmin excuse for the bike :) Said CRAP! a lot, and drank some water, swapped my little-bitty medium race shirt for a large, and loaded up and headed home...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience mostly... Oh, and the Garmin thing -- CRAP! :)

Last updated: 2008-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:33 | 656 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 600 Meter long triangle...
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:20 | 12.8 miles | 18.14 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with one 1.5 mile long hill going up at the beginning and down at the end...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:52 | 03.1 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back with a couple of big hills in second mile...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-29 9:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park

2008-06-30 9:43 AM
in reply to: #1497926

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park
You're gonna look back at the Garmin experience and smile..one day..probably.

Seriously, it looks like you were on track for a really good day. Having to come to a complete stop to look for the computer must tightened everything up and then running is just a chore. You'll get them next time.

Congrats on your day.
2008-06-30 7:45 PM
in reply to: #1498546

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA

The Garmin was a good story.  That is what I look for... a good story.  I think that losing the Garmin is almost as good as getting a medal. 

Good job on the race.  Once you get that swim going you will be winning these things.   You should have started swimming last year when I tried to get you to. 

2008-07-01 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
BFE

Great race despite the garmin thing.

Sorry I missed you again.

2008-07-03 7:00 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Congratulations!  I know the Garmin thing threw you off but your bike split was still solid.
2008-07-04 12:12 PM

User image

Melon Presser

CONGRATS!!!

Don't know whether to be more jealous that your T.I.T.S. are better than mine or that Dan showed up to view ...

What a great race, and a ssssssssmokin' bike split even with the delay--glad you got your Garmin back!

And y'know, great job on the run. Look, we aren't gonna be the people popping the tape (well, you're a lot closer, but still ...) so above all, having fun matters, while killing yourself on each course does not.

2008-07-05 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Awesome job out there, even with the "Garmin episode."  You're really taking to this tri stuff - way to go and keep up the good work!!
2008-07-07 9:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Well. It's been over a week since the Garmin thing and all I can say about that is --- Crap!  But now I'm saying it with a smile Laughing
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park Rss Feed