International City Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 42s
Overall Rank = 140/156
Age Group = Women 30-34 ???
Age Group Rank = 13/13
Pre-race routine:

This race was a rollercoaster for me...at least in the days and weeks and hours leading up to this race. The race itself rocked. Last year, the Pacific Open Water Challenge was in its inaugural year and it was my first race. I was training for my first sprint tri and wanted to do a half mile open water swim for experience. I was scared last year and almost backed out, but in the 11th hour not only raced but won my age group in the swim. It was a great first race.

Throughout the last year I've done 7 sprint tris, another OW swim, and 2 5ks. I told myself that this year I was going to up the ante and either do the mile swim or the aquathlon. However, over the last few months I've gotten pretty spooked about open water swimming. I'm working on that fear, but hadn't gotten as far as I would have liked by now. So, I had written off the mile swim, but all week was going back and forth between the aquathlon or just the 5k run. Even last night I packed both swim and run gear because I kept waffling back and forth on what I was going to do.

This morning I wasn't feeling particularly brave as I got ready. I decided to wait until I got to the venue to decide. I had my usual morning getting ready, except we hadn't been to the market, so I had to improvise my pre-race breakfast. It was a beautiful morning so I drove to the Belmont pier with the top down.

I got there (free parking...woo hoo!) and walked out to look at the water. I knew that I could probably white knuckle the swim. At the same time, I had decided to progressively work my way up to getting used to the open water again and this would be a big jump in that process. As I was trying to decide Dolores (DoloresM2) arrived. We talked a minute then went to register. I decided to just run. Even after I filled out the registration form, I didn't check the race box for a minute as I did a last minute gut-check. I finally checked the 5k box and found out they were out of XL shirts for late registrants. Great. I took a large but knew it wouldn't fit.

I went back to my car to lock up my purse and felt depressed. I called my husband to talk about what a total wuss I was...or felt like! I'm a swimmer at a swim event that I won my age group in last year and I was wimping out to do the run...my worst event. What the hell???

I walked around feeling a little sorry for myself then decided to snap out of it. I still had the Naples Island Swim coming out that I would definitely do. Right now, I had a 5k to focus on and get excited about. The pity party officially ended.

I hung out on the beach with Dolores and met Tim. Eventually Chris showed up. They were all doing the 1 mile swim and went off to warm up while I got my run clothes on. I watched the starts of their races then went to go stretch.
Event warmup:

I walked up the path for five minutes then ran for 10. It was funny because I was already wearing my race belt and number. As I was warming up a random jogger going by saw me and yelled "Way to go! Finish strong!" or something like that! Too funny!

I hit the porta johns where I ran into Dolores and talked about her swim. I had then hoped to go to the outdoor showers to wet my hair, but everyone was lining up at the start, so it was time to go!
Run
  • 49m 42s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 16m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I saw Tim in the corral. He had just finished the one mile swim and was now doing the run. I wondered why he was back with us slow folk, as he is crazy fast! Then the pirates (yes...pirates) shot their guns (loudly) and we were off. I saw Dolores cheering as I started! I felt pretty good at first. My shins were a little twingy, so I went out easy. My number one goal for this race was not to overheat like last week. My number two goal was to run the entire 3.1 miles and not walk at all.

It was warm out, but I was okay. I settled into a slow, but steady pace to get more warmed up. I was heading east along the beach bike path. I was surprised how soon the first water station arrived. I was then surprised at how soon the frontrunners were heading back the other way. Tim waved as he went by.

I took a right at the Granada Launch Ramp and turned around. I was pleasantly surprised to see that at least a dozen people were behind me. Yay! Shouldn't be DFL! I hit the one mile marker and was okay with my 15:50 split. It was faster than the 1 mile splits at previous stand alone 5k's, but slower than some of my tri 5k's. Overall, it was better than I thought I'd do today.

I saw another runner that was WAY behind me which really helped me realize I wouldn't be DFL. Woo hoo!

At about a mile and a half I was about at the water station again. Unfortunately this was the last station of the course. At the Belmont Plaza Pool we hung a right. I had been getting hot, so I took my hat off and put it in my pocket. That helped. I saw outdoor showers and considered running over and cooling off, but decided against it. I was happy to see that on the backside of the pool there was shade...sweet, beautiful shade!

I crossed Livingston and was now running on the path behind the parking lot. It was shady, which rocked, but was gradually uphill, so I couldn't gain too much speed. I crossed over the pier and enjoyed the brief downhill. I then hit the 2-mile marker and had a slightly slower pace than mile 1. Usually I go faster on mile 2, but the incline may have thrown me off.

Then an odd pain started in my right foot. It wasn't anything I had felt before, so I slowed down, but kept running. As I was nearing the turnaround I PASSED TWO WOMEN!!! I almost never pass people on runs, so I relish it when I do! I heard one of them griping about the distance. Must be her first 5k. As I headed into the turnaround, and after feeling cocky from passing those women, I noticed another woman jogging ahead of me and thought "I can totally take her".

I began speeding up and gaining on her. Then I felt like I was going too hard, so I slowed a bit, but before getting back to the pier I PASSED HER! Did you hear that folks...I passed not one, not two, BUT THREE PEOPLE ON A RUN! I so rule! ;)

I crossed over the pier and sprinted down the short downhill. I looked back and the woman I had passed wasn't gaining on me. I sprinted in to the finish and smiled for the Brightroom guy! I had achieved my goals. I had not overheated. I had run the entire way. I had even surpassed my goals by passing three people, apparently beating 16 people, got my best time for a stand alone 5k, and it was the first stand alone 5k that I completely ran without walking. Woo hoo!
What would you do differently?:

I need to rethink clothing for run only events, since I'm not wet and therefore get hotter. I need to get a visor, not a regular hat. I need to get a white shirt that is sleeveless. I think this would help. Otherwise, I think I did as well as I could.
Post race
Warm down:

After getting my chip cut off of my shoe, I grabbed a sports drink and started walking up the path. I saw Dolores and she walked for ten minutes with me.

We talked to Tim and Chris, and then we went into the water to cool off and bob around. I had a great time talking to Dolores out in the water. The cold water felt SOOOOO good after that run.

I then had an idea. I took my large shirt over to the table to see if I could trade up for an XL. I figured there had to be people DNSing this race, especially with so many events. Sure enough, I got one! Woo hoo! I put it on!

We then saw Jeff. He was there with his daughter and wife who were both doing the half mile swim. We hung out then watched the half mile swim and aquathlon swim. We waited by the run course and cheered Verna as she went by. Tim and Dolores left for a while, so I reclined my beach chair back and just enjoyed the amazing day. I almost fell asleep!

We went to the finish line and cheered for Verna as she finished. We met her friend, Lee, and then all packed up our stuff. At this point I checked the 5k results and although I was last in my age group, I was 140 out of 156 overall. I'll take it!

We then met up with Dolores's daughter, Camille, and her sister, Angie. We went to Chuck's, but there was a wait, so we headed over to BBC and had a great breakfast! Later I headed home and had a wonderful shower and nap! Aaaahhhhh...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inconsistent training and as always, my weight

Event comments:

I really like this race which is why I wanted to do it, even if I couldn't or wouldn't swim. I love any Long Beach event and this was a particulary good one. I do think there should have been a water station later in the run. Otherwise, I thought it was well run, just like last year. Great race!

Last updated: 2008-06-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:42 | 03.1 miles | 16m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/13
Overall: 140/156
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 15:50 minute mile Mile 2 - 16:03 minute mile Mile 3 - 16:15 minute mile (average)
Course: East on beach bike path away from Belmont Pier, right turn at Granada Launch Ramp, turn around at end of ramp, around back of Belmont Plaza, past parking lot and BBC, west on bike path, turnaround near big blue building that had the fire, back to pier.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-29 10:17 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Subject: Pacific Open Water Challenge

2008-06-30 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1498011

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-06-30 10:33 AM

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Subject: RE: Pacific Open Water Challenge
WTG Jocelyn!! Yay for passing people! I did that in my race last week as well and it TOTALLY rocked actually passing someone else for a change rather than always being passed.
2008-06-30 12:27 PM

Champion
Northridge, California
X3...passing people rocks! Great job...you'll be back in the ocean soon enough.
2008-06-30 12:29 PM

Expert

Great job yesterday J! It was great to see you guys, I wish I could have joined you for lunch. I got fried, but it was a nice day! Keep up the good work.

2008-06-30 2:26 PM

Regular
Awesome, awesome job yesterday!  It sounds like you rocked it in so many ways, passing people, running the whole way, a pb!  I wish I could have been there, congratulations

2008-06-30 2:38 PM

Champion
Carlsbad, California

It was very cool to finally meet you Jocelyn

You are definitely no wimp. You are doing many things boldly that others only dream of doing someday. Remarkable things quickly become commonplace and extraordinary things become the joy in our lives.

it was great to see you in the starting pen and also out on the course. definitely provided a much needed boost to help me get through some of the suffering that is the 5k

Lunch was awesome. See you in Naples

2008-06-30 6:25 PM

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Good job!  And great passing people, that hardly ever happens to me either.

Just asking, but are you wearing tech shirts on top?  It helps a LOT.  I find good ones at Ross or Marshalls for very cheap and have occasionally bought men's sizes, which are actually more comfortable sometimes because of the looseness.

Also, on the hat - get a tech hat they breathe and they keep you as cool as possible.  

If you're not working out in tech gear you really need to start it makes a HUGE difference.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Open Water Challenge Rss Feed