Pleasant Hill Commission
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 40m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up, got dressed, ate something, messed around with my bike, had the nervous "Do I have everything I need" moment, then rode my bike over. The race is about a mile away from my house and it was actually really nice.

Got in line for race-day sign-up (Note to self: if I got it together and signed up online it would been $10 cheaper - remember that for next year...)
Event warmup:

Does standing in the porta-potty line count? Ok, I rode my BIKE over there - that's gotta count for something.
Run
  • 40m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Very low-key run. About 500 or so runners. Started off a little chilly since it was kinda windy and cold. Just tried to keep jogging at a steady pace and not walk too much.

Loop 1 - I managed to pass ALL the walkers - even the speed walkers. This is a definite first so that was really cool - so I knew I was going a little faster than I usually manage. Got looped by the fast dudes about 1/2 way through. There was a clown on one of the corners - that was kinda fun. Was happy that I managed to pass the finish line BEFORE I got double-looped although it was VERY close. (Finish clock said 14:?? as I passed and the first guy finished in 15:?? - could hear the announcer.)

Loop 2 - Got passed by all the people who can actually run vs. jog. Spent a little time in useless envy, but knew I was doing good. Started to pass a couple of people doing the walk/jog routine. First time I've ever felt like I was doing more jogging than walking so that was cool. First time I've ever felt like I actually managed to pass a couple people who were actually trying to run (instead of just walk.) Clown was looking a little tired on this loop - wasn't saying much to anyone if you know what I mean. Finish clock at 26:?? as I passed.

Loop 3 - Passed one more person - and then she was behind me the whole way - I had to stay ahead of her. I'd pull ahead, walk for a bit and then I could hear her coming. Maybe it was petty but I wanted to finish in FRONT of her. Clown apparently gave up on the slow guys and had disappeared. I had a REALLY good kick to the finish - although I felt like I was going to have to sit down in the finishing chute - so I probably could have gone a little faster overall. Finished in almost exactly 40:30.

This is a PB time for me, and almost 1.5 minutes per mile faster than my old PB time. Yay! Of course it helps that the course was really, really, really flat.

I've lost a good chunk of weight this year - and this is the first time (on a run) that I've really felt it. Not that I felt really all that faster, but I didn't get tired as much, and I could keep up my glacially slow speed without getting even slower. So, I'm really pleased with this.
What would you do differently?:

I always think I could have pushed a little harder. But, this was a really good race for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, had an orange slice. My stomach wasn't happy though, although it liked the 1/2 banana better. So I probably did pretty well on the effort level - as stomach cramps for a bit afterwards is one of my personal "Yeah, I went hard" signs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough running, and I'm just not really all that good at it. Weight is still a factor, but I can tell that losing what I have has made a big difference.

Event comments:

Nice little kick-off to 4th of July. They have the parade right after, although I didn't stay for that. It's right downtown, so some of the businesses were open. Jamba Juice was doing HUGE business.

Last updated: 2008-07-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:30 | 03.11 miles | 13m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Flat 3-loop course around the downtown. Roads closed off for the race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-07-04 12:13 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: Firecracker 5k

2008-07-04 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1508326

User image

Subject: RE: Firecracker 5k
Wooohoo!   COngrats on the PB!!!!
2008-07-05 11:30 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Awesome job!!  Congrats on the PR!!
2008-07-06 7:35 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

Nice job on the run. You really have improved your speed the last year.  I agree that it is probably related to the weight loss.  But, it is great cycle--you lose weight, you get faster, you lose weight (because you do more in less time) and then repeat.

You should be very proud!

2008-07-06 8:31 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Whooo Hooo...you rocked it and PBs...lots of great firsts today..awesome job..congrats on weight loss
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Firecracker 5k Rss Feed