Team Magic
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 54m 46s
Overall Rank = 121/289
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 32/56
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4:30 and laid around the room. Finally got up, dressed and left. Went by the car to pump tires before heading to race site. Hotel was 1 block- awesome! Found my rack,I was the first one there and I was in an awesome spot. Set up transition, got body marked and hung out until it was time to take the bus to the start around 6:40-ish. Sat around at the start talking to friends until it was time to line up.
Event warmup:

Nothing. Couldn't get in water since it's a TT start. That's fine, I rarely get in the water anyways.
Swim
  • 25m 5s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall, I think this was a pretty good swim for me. I liked starting in the first AG wave vs. waiting around for over an hour like many people had to do. Start happened kinda quickly. Jumped in the water, quickly moved down to the dock and I was off- no time to piddle around. Settled into a good pace pretty quickly and started picking off people in front of me. It was much easier to pass since it was a TT start. I didn't really feel like I was swimming downstream, especially when I was beside the huge rock clif- that felt like it was up stream. I just picked a spot on the rocks, noticed that it was moving behind me, so I assumed I wasn't going backwards. Rest of the swim was pretty uneventful. I knew the landscape on shore somewhat, so it was easy to tell when I was getting close to the finish...picked it up a bit towards the end and headed into the stairs. I guess the rain started about 1/2 to 2/3 through the swim- I knew that might cause some issues later on.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster as always. Be better about breathing every 3...I'm fine in the pool, but it doesn't carry over to races. I guess I like to constantly check my path.
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Exited the swim and jogged up the steps to the T-area...kind of a longish run. Ok, maybe a medium-ish run. I had the MOST KICK ASS spot in transition, so it was super easy to find on row 1. Helmet on, shoes & sunglasses on. I did take a few extra seconds to grab a trash bag from my bag to cover up my run stuff. I wanted to try to avoid soaked shoes the entire run.
AG- 26/26

Not really too much. I guess I could have covered up my shoes before I left for the race start, but oh well. I'm not sorry I did it in T1.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 41s
  • 26.09 miles
  • 18.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I've been kinda bummed about this bike all week. I think it started off kinda bad since it was raining and I tend to be a bit skiddish on downhills when there is wet road. Really, it's taken me about 2 years to not ride my brakes downhill when the roads are dry. So I guess there was a light drizzle going on when I started the bike...I felt good from the start and tried to settle into a good pace. I should have switched to my small ring on a few of the climbs, but I was having some issues going from small to big ring..so I limited the use of my small. No biggie. The rain continued on and off most of the ride, sometimes harder. I kept having to wipe off my sunglasses since taking them off wasn't an option(the are Rx, and without them, I probably would have run into a guardrail!). Overall, this ride was decent, but what annoys me the most is that I couldn't maximize my speed on the downhills..and I definitely was not riding in aero on the downs. I kept picturing myself wrecking and sliding into the lane of traffic and getting run over by an 18-wheeler. Yeah, I guess that would be considered poor mental imagery. About 4-5 miles from the finish, my computer decided it wanted to shut off...so I finished the ride knot knowing my final pace. It actually ended up higher than it was then computer went to sleep. My goal for the bike was 19/mph...I was close, but I know I could have hit it if it wasn't for the rain/wet roads.

Make the rain stop?? HTFU?? I guess I could have pushed it a little harder, but I just felt kinda unsafe out there. I know many people didn't really have this issue, but I kept thinking it wasn't worth it to me. My A race is in 3 weeks, and I didn't want to do something that could compromise my Steelhead race. I guess I could train more on the bike in the rain, but that's easier said than done. I've ridden in the rain, but I guess it's been on flatter terrain. I don't plan on scrapping a run one day to go ride my bike on the highway during a rain storm!
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Nothing crazy here. Time seems a bit slower than normal, but my ranking for T2 isn't too bad..so I guess it's b/c of the way the t-area is set up.
AG- 16/56

Hurry!
Run
  • 1h 02m 12s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

YIKES! I sucked in terms of my AG rank on the run! I mean, I knew my run sucked, but wow. Mentally, this was a hard run for me...harder than both HIM runs. I was kinda pissed about my bike and it carried over. I mentally checked out at the first hill when Leslie passed me. I suck at running hills, and I decided that this race wasn't a good time to practice...and the course isn't even hilly- I think there are 3-4 short hills. Run pretty much went like this- walk a hill, jog, get bored/tired, walk, jog, walk, jog...etc. The funny thing is that I really didn't care that I was walking. It was still raining and it felt good...the thunder even sounded cool(except when I was right next to the river and a huge lightening strike went off). I felt actually kinda happy on this run/walk/jog. I think I knew my race wasn't what I wanted, so I just made the best out of it. It was really fun when I started to hear all of the cowbells and NAMC people cheering with about 1/2 mile left. I was done and just wanted my blue margarita!

Don't check out of the race. I know I could have done much better, but it was easy for me to blow off the run since it's my limiter. Work on hills over the winter.
Post race
Warm down:

Nada. Talked to a few people, watched some others finish, ran to the hotel to shower and came back to watch the rest of the finishers- just in time for the sun to come out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain & poor attitude on the run.

Event comments:

I really love this race! The swim is great, the bike is fast and the run is mostly flat. I know no one can predict the weather, but I hope it's better next year so I can have a better race!

Last updated: 2007-11-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:05 | 1640 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/56
Overall: 218/289
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point to point, downstream in the Tennessee River.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:23:41 | 26.09 miles | 18.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/56
Overall: 98/289
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Out and back on local hwy, with a few surface street at the start and finish
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:02:12 | 06.21 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/56
Overall: 0/289
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back, mostly on a paved path along the river.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-16 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2008-07-16 12:52 PM
in reply to: #1533813

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Well you had a bad race....it happens. Better this one than Steelhead though! You had a really good swim and your bike wasn't as bad as you think. You will kick some behind at Steelhead!
2008-07-16 12:57 PM
in reply to: #1534180

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
I totally thought the same thing on the bike with all of the semi trucks barreling down.  Nice job though!!
2008-07-16 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Great race report!
Sorry that you were bummed about your run...with that time you're a rock star compared to me. And chances are that next year's weather will be better so you can get revenge on the bike course.
Good Job!!!!
2008-07-16 2:15 PM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA

Nice race report -- you did better than you think in some tough conditions.  It is really hard to focus on keeping a nice bike tempo in those conditions.  Good job!

2008-07-16 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Roswell, GA

I think you do a fabulous job at every race, i know i have said that before, but it is true. Even with the adverse conditions you still had awesome splits! You are a strong racer adn it shows! Steelhead is going to be great for you.

Great report too.

2008-07-16 3:36 PM

User image

Master
I have to agree with Jamie. Even with the "bad" race, you still kicked a$$ on the bike and your run (WITH WALKING!) was still pretty darn good! You are going to kill Steelhead.
2008-07-16 10:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA

Considering the obstacles, you did great! 

2008-07-17 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
No checking out on the run.. find that place in your head that makes you move forward. The psychology of racing is really AS important as the physical aspect. That being said, there are definitely times where we all do check out. Still, work on that. It's not as easy as wanting to run. Sometimes, we just need to run.

The best part about this race, is that there is a reason most of us want to go back. Aside from it being a great race, we all need to prove some things to ourselves on that course.

You'll do great at Steelhead. Longer swim, longer bike, favors you. Just stay focused on the run.. at all costs.. except don't die. That would be bad.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed