United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 32m 46s
Overall Rank = 423/460
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/26
Pre-race routine:

We left Saturday to drive up and make the pilgrimage to Gear West on the way. Jeremy needed a new bike, so it made sense. Mario drove, so I didn't have to worry about that which was so nice. Jeremy found the perfect bike and they got him fitted up. He was unsure about riding it the next day, but Mario and I reassured him (demanded) that he would be fine. After a quick stop at Chipotle and getting lost, we found the hotel. We took the bikes out for a quick spin for Jeremy to get used to the new ride. He was still kind of tentative, but I could tell he was getting more comfortable. Sunday morning, we raced around to pack the car and get out of town to the race site. I ate my bagel in the car on the way.
Event warmup:

Does getting lost again looking for the race site count as warm-up? When we stopped for directions, we met up with another couple from Rochester. We were basically across the street from the parking, so at least we were close. Then we put our stuff in transition, only to find out that it was short course transition, not long course. So we had to move. More racing around to get set up. I didn't get to take the bike out, but that wasn't a big problem. Most importantly, we headed down to the lake to check out the swim course. It was so foggy that we couldn't see the bouys. Nice. Jeremy and I swam out a little to try and formulate a plan. Not much warm-up, but that's typical.
Swim
  • 17m 50s
  • 805 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

There were about 100 people in my wave which is the largest wave I've been in. That means 400 limbs going in every different direction. I was in front and to the left of the bouy line. I got beat up a little and gave back some as well. By the time we reached the sprint turnaround, the traffic thined out a bit. Basically all I could do was go from one bouy to the next and hope that I could find the last one and not end up on the other side of the lake. After the turnaround, we hit some serious wake, almost like a battleship had just passed. What???? That was new. I got off course a bit because of the rough water. Sighting on the way back in was tough too for some unknown reason. Just keep swimming. Finally I hit the beach and the running began.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I guess I could go out a little harder at the start. Don't I write that every time? I'm pretty pleased with the overall time, but the second half was slower.

Nutrition- 1 choc GU on the way to the swim warm-up
Transition 1
  • 04m 42s
Comments:

Long run from the lake to the bikes. OK, maybe a long walk. I was trying to hurry, but still save my gimpy knees for the real run. I did my hair differently today and had no hair issues. Yay! I felt a lot faster this time than last, but the time is still pretty bad.

Not much. I had to stop and put on my bike computer, so that could be fixed.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 49s
  • 21 miles
  • 18.86 mile/hr
Comments:

Yay for the new bike!!! For the first time, I was passing people on the bike. OK, so I've passed people on hybrids and mtn bikes, but never road bikes. I was also using the new aerodrink for the first race, so lots of new stuff to get used to. The bottle was fine; having 2 drinks in the same bottle is very cool. Anyway, that bike is so sweet. Saturday night, Jeremy installed my new computer, but I didn't have it set up correctly. I had the cadence, but that was all. I think it's set in kph instead of mph. When I passed the 5 mile mark in 15 min, I did some quick math and realized I'd never been that fast before. Whoot, whoot! Jeremy passed me very quickly, probably before 5 miles. He looked strong and confident on the new ride. Good plan on riding that new bike. I kept going at a pretty good pace and enjoyed the ride. I saw plenty of people pass me, but I was still going strong and having a good time out there. Unfortunately, the bike leg had to end.

Nothing. Next race I'll go out a little stronger. This time it was about getting used to racing the new bike.

Nutrition- Most of an Acellerade in the small cell of the bottle. 3 Clif shot blocks. Stopped drinking with 4 miles to go.
Transition 2
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

I had a good T2 going, and then realized about half way to the exit that I'd forgotten my knee strap. For a second, I thought about going without it. Then I turned around and went back. I'm not stupid and I knew that I'd need all the help I could get to survive this run.

Don't forget stuff.
Run
  • 1h 00m 1s
  • 5.3 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh for gawd's sake, I'm a terrible runner. Actually, I could tell a huge differene in my legs coming off the bike. My legs felt fine and none of that dragging a brick feeling. And so the suffering began. At the sprint turnaround, I was so envious. But I had many more miles to go. There were aid stations every mile with water, Heed and cold sponges. Yay for those aid stations. It gave me something to look forward to. I was just dragging myself from one to the next. Lots of people passed me. But I kept going. Right after the 4 mile mark, another struggler caught me. We debated jumping in the lake and swimming back, which would have been much faster. I found out that she was from Rochester and also in TriRochester, and had also done Rochesterfest. We ran together all the way in and if it hadn't been for her, I'm not sure I would have finished as well. I could keep pace with her and it helped me stay running instead of walking more. At the turn to the finish, I told her to lead us in. She finished in front of me and I thanked her for her help. My goal was an hour and I was ONE second over. Close enough.

I'm at a loss. Maybe a full leg transplant is in order. Or find a race with no running. How about a 1 mile swim, 25 mile bike and a 1 mile run? That would be great.

Nutrition- No food, just a sip of water at each station.
Post race
Warm down:

This race is great! I was handed a cup of cold water just as I crossed the finish. Jeremy was waiting for me there and guided me to the food. Great food! I got under the mist shower to cool off and then went for more food.

Then we put our gear in the car and went to find the BT get together. Great way to relax after a race: a beer, a brat and BT'ers. OK, maybe 2 beers. It was nice to see all you guys again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm a crappy runner.

Nutrition- Seemed to work fine.

Event comments:

This is the best organized race I've been to. Everything was like clockwork. Tons of great volunteers and well-marked courses. My one complaint is that the swim course was unclear and was not included in the maps in the packet. Knowing that the turnaround bouys had white stripes would have been a huge help. That's my only complaint. This morning, Jeremy asked me when registration opens for next year. He was super-impressed too. We'll be back in '09.

Last updated: 2008-03-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:50 | 805 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/26
Overall: 266/460
Performance: Average
Suit: Promotion full
Course: Out and back in the fog. It was hard to see from bouy to bouy. Lots of volunteers out on surfboards. Why did they have surfboards in a lake?
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:49 | 21 miles | 18.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/26
Overall: 383/460
Performance: Good
Avg HR- 162 Max HR- 175
Wind: None
Course: Large loop around the lakes. I'm not really sure where we were, but the course was so well marked and staffed, you couldn't go wrong. I love that. On race day, I don't want to have to think. There was one hill around mile 6, but nothing huge. Mostly shallow rollers, just like I'm used to around here.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:26
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:00:01 | 05.3 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/26
Overall: 451/460
Performance: Below average
Avg HR- 157 Max HR- 175
Course: Long loop around the lake. I looked out at the lake at the start and thought, "WTF? I've got to run *around* this thing! Isn't there a bridge or something?"
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 10:42 AM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: Heart of the Lakes Triathlon

2008-07-21 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1545466

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Subject: RE: Heart of the Lakes Triathlon
Sounds like you had a good race, way to go!!! 
2008-07-21 12:19 PM

An overall fine race Pattie!  You looked fabulous on the new bike   It was great hanging out after the race and was also nice to meet Jeremy.
2008-07-21 12:35 PM

User image

Elite
It was great seeing you and Jeremy yesterday Patti.  You looked great on the new bike and seemed really happy when I passed you.  Nice job and we'll have to make sure to do the same thing again next year.
2008-07-21 12:36 PM
in reply to: #1545850

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great job Pattie!  Sounds like the new bike is wonderful.  I'm impressed you're already on it and kicking butt.  I thought the run was torturous too, and I don't have any leg issues
2008-07-21 11:11 PM

User image

Expert
Way to go, Patti!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of the Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed