General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Windsor, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 25m 50s
Overall Rank = 677/738
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 21/22
Pre-race routine:

First Oly distance (4th tri ever). (Posting with out using spell check or proof reading so this may be hard to read).

As usual I am like a kid at Christmas and do not get much sleep befroe races. I didn't even set the alarm and I was getting up at 4:15 am (way earlier then I usually do). Got up and put the food from the fridge to my cooler, and loaded it in the car. Put the bike on the car, kissed the wife and kids (sleeping) and off I went. Had an hour and 10 minute ride to the race so sipped a gatorade and ate two bagels with peanut butter. Got marked and set up transition.
Event warmup:

I'm not a big warmup type of guy so just talked to people I knew from Team Triumph. This was to be the longest swim ever for me. Also first without a wet suit, so I was nervous (I think I did a good job of not showing it). I was there at a little past 6am and the sprint was starting at 7:30 and I would not be starting my Oly wave until about 8:30. So a lot of time just walking around and getting ready.
Swim
  • 42m 40s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Looking at my time it is probably silly that I say my performace was average, but for me this performance was actually good. Surprisingly I had no problem with the distance (as slow as I was). I never paniced in the water. Even when some chick punched me in the googles (yes I have a black eye to show) I kept on going. I never had to breast stroke, or turn on my back, I just plugged along. I felt good about finishing this swim.
What would you do differently?:

More training. And learn proper swim technique. I am breathing only on one side right now.
Transition 1
  • 05m 12s
Comments:

I am slow and that is that. I ate one uncrustable PB&J sandwich and drank some water. I swam in just my cycling shorts so just had to get socks, shoes, gloves, glasses, and helmet on. Still that somehow takes over 5 minutes for me. I actually ran holding my shoes as it was a long distance to the bike mount.

It will never be great but I do need to be faster.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 47s
  • 23 miles
  • 18.21 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is becoming my best event. I looked at my garmin and at one hour I was at 19 miles. Obviously I slowed for the last 4 miles but I was happy with the performance. The last 10 miles I kept passing one girl and then she would pass me back. We joked to each other and made the 2nd half of the ride go by quicker.

I started the race in big ring on front and hardest gear in the back. I wanted to do the whole race like that (I did Parvin that way) but after 12 miles and a little hill I backed off that goal. Kept big ring on the front the whole ride.

Nothing really. Maybe learn proper gearing.
Transition 2
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

Again I am slow and take my time. I drank some more and had a few shoot blocks.

It will get quicker (I hope).
Run
  • 1h 18m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming into this year this was my best part of the tri. Well after 7 months of bad run training it is not so much any more. Don't know if it was the heat or just the lack of training but I could not get it goin on the run. I was not hurt, but I think I was mentally exhusted. HR was way too high at the start of the run. I walked after about 1/2 mile to see if I could get it down, when it went down I started running again and it spiked again. It kept happening so I just did a run/walk for the race. Saw Wife and Kids about 1/4 mile from finish line so that pulled me through the finish. Cool think was my name was announced at the finish line and got more cheers.

Get back to last years run shape. Weight has to come back down as well. I am up 25 pounds from my lightest last year (and that was even too high).
Post race
Warm down:

Kissed the family, saw some TT members and ate. Kids played in the park a little but had to head out and drive an hour home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training in July and current weight.

I had lost 110 pounds, but put about 25 back on. So yes I am happy with my overall weight loss but have to lose about 45 more pounds.

Event comments:

As always CGI does a great job. Can't say enough about Larry and Michele. If you have not done so you have to do a CGI race.

Last updated: 2008-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:40 | 1500 meters | 02m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 679/738
Performance: Average
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: Lake swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:12
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:47 | 23 miles | 18.21 mile/hr
Overall: 528/738
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:25
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
01:18:48 | 06.21 miles | 12m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 695/738
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-28 8:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Williamstown NJ
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-07-28 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1563747

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance
grea job Dan.....   very nice race... nice swim!!!   You are right you bike is very strong...  i need run help too. 
2008-07-28 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrington, NJ
Great job Dan.  It was great seeing you out there on the course.
2008-07-28 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Good job Dan. Very strong bike.
2008-07-28 10:27 PM

User image

Expert
WA
This was my first Oly too!  Great job conquering the distance.  Congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed