Namolokama O Hana lei Canoe Club
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 26m 53s
Overall Rank = 27/59
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:15, got together my gear, my ride was going to pick me up at 7 am, my hubby and kids were going to come later with the car filled for camping! The race didn't start until 9:15 am and it was hour away from home.
Ate multi grain English muffin with an egg, Clementine,water and half caf coffee; and 15 minutes before the race had a half of Hammer gel.
Event warmup:

Walking around and talking with everyone, eying up the course since it was not a straight line, trying to figure my line in case I was alone again like last year. Looking for someone a little faster than me, but not too fast to draft off of...
Swim
  • 26m 53s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

At the start I was of course nervous because I really wanted to improve from last years performance, so I was trying to place myself next to the people I knew I could possibly draft off. Well with the mass start with men and women together it was a bit hectic until we rounded the Pier and spread out; quickly I found a guy and a women who I was comfortably drafting off of. I noticed the guy had a tattoo around his leg that looked familiar, later found out it was my friend Dan who I swim with at Masters, the women was a girl I swam 3 miles with last summer and didn't really know that until after the race when we were talking story...

Just before I was reaching the turn around buoy a swimmer that already rounded swam right into me! I think they were starting to swim in a circle??? I was clearly on course with the buoy off my left shoulder, I had to do breast stroke for a couple strokes to fix my goggles and saw they were a bit off course, luckily it didn't effect my performance and I didn't loose my draft couple!

I was really trying to stay with my draftees but realized I loss the guy, it was kind of weird he just disappeared, later found out he sighted poorly and ended off course, glad I was following the girl who at the 1/4 mile buoy just took off, I could see her bubbles and just tried to swim as hard as I could to keep up.

Got to the last buoy, like I swam into it, oops and went around it properly and headed in for my finish, I heard the guy say 27 something which is 7 minutes faster than last years first mile swim!!! Talk about excitement, I was hoping for 29 minutes!
What would you do differently?:

Well this went better than I thought, not run into the last buoy, and I misjudged the the depth when coming to shore and thought I could stand and do dolphin dives to the finish, that slowed my momentum a bit.
Post race
Warm down:

Well immediately my triceps cramped! I couldn't lift my arms OUCH!, someone got me some Advil and that took a bit to kick in, I couldn't even stretch them for a good 1/2 hour. I kept thinking how could I get in aero position on my bike after a mile swim if this happens again, probably need to do some triceps strengthening???

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Continue to to train more long distance, when I swam competitively I only did short course and my stroke was breast stroke.

Event comments:

This is the second year the canoe club host this swim so the kinks are still being worked on, they really need to get the timing system, I am going to suggest they charge a bit more for the race and get a professional to time it, when they gave the age group awards they didn't announce their times, very annoying! It took a long time for them to figure out the results since their is no computer to do for them.

Last updated: 2008-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:53 | 1760 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 27/59
Performance: Good
Suit: yinfa one piece race suit
Course: Out and around the right side of the pier, Down and back off the beach. The course take a bend to the right around the bay after the 1/2 mile turn around buoy. Buoys always on your left except the exit buoy was on your right.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-28 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: 2008 Open Water Swim Hana lei Bay

2008-08-01 9:08 AM
in reply to: #1564869

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: RE: 2008 Open Water Swim Hana lei Bay
HUGE improvement from last year!  Under 2 minute 100/yds is very impressive to me.  You seem to have the drafting thing down.  I have yet to figure that out.  I can never find equally slow swimmers as me....
2008-08-02 1:48 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Great job on the race and the improvement from last year!  That's a nice swim time. 
2008-08-03 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Wow! Nancy, you are FAST! No wonder with those giant pipe sticking out of the swimsuit! Great swim, great to see you can make smart decision making while hammering out a solid swim! Nice race.
2008-08-20 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Congrats on your race!  Way to smash your time from last year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2008 Open Water Swim Hana lei Bay Rss Feed