Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Kitchen flooring Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-31 7:20 AM

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
Subject: Kitchen flooring
In the vein of the recent bout of home decor/improvement threads, i'm looking to replace the flooring in my kitchen when i redo it this next year. i have a good grasp on what i'm looking for in cabinets and lighting, but flooring... that's another matter altogether.

Right now there's some terrible vinyl flooring in there (permanently stained and gouged, thanks Mr. Previous Owner!). i've seen some slate tiles that i love, but i'm not sure if slate is durable or safe enough for a kitchen.

So, tell me, please, COJ, what type of flooring you have in your kitchen and how you feel about it. Pluses and minuses. What would you do differently?

Thanks!

2008-07-31 8:16 AM
in reply to: #1572101

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Kitchen flooring

I have ceramic tile in my current kitchen and it looks nice but is murder on your feet.  If you go with tile, also get a spongy mat to stand on right in front of the sink/stove/counter.

I like the idea of laminate flooring in the kitchen.  Gives it a nice hardwood look without the pain or price of actual hardwood.  When you go with real hardwood, you have to be careful about getting food and liquids in the bevel grooves.  Once it is in there, it is a pain in the butt to get out.

2008-07-31 8:32 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

http://www.armstrong.com/resflram/na/laminate/en/us/prod_detail.asp?itemId=88635.0

I have laminate flooring that has a slate look to it on my first floor.  I really like it because it's easy to clean and doesn't show scratch marks (I have a 50ish pound dog that runs around the house )  The other thing I like about the floor is that I was able to install it with my dad's help. It took about two days. 

The only thing that I'm careful with is that when liquid gets spilled on the floor, I clean it up right away so the flooring doesn't warp.  It didn't happen in the kitchen, but I have wood like laminate flooring in the office and some spilled water sat on the floor for a while and warped it a bit... although you can't really tell unless you bend down and really stare at it

Edited by vball03umd 2008-07-31 8:35 AM
2008-07-31 8:44 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Wouldn't real slate be porous? Meaning, you spill milk in it and you're going to smell sour milk until you steam it out of there? Everything will leave some kind of a stain b/c it sinks in? I dunno....

A good quality vinyl floor is tough to beat performance wise. Ours is Tarkett brand? Single pieces of vinyl w/ only an edge glue. Been great for 10 years now; still looks like new. Zero maintainence other than cleaning. Grout in real ceramic tile is horribly difficult to keep fresh. Your sub floor needs to be so rock solid for ceramic otherwise they pop and shift on you.

I'd guess laminate or good vinyl.

2008-07-31 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
I put slate floors in our master bath and we love it. You just have to seal it before you grout and then seal it again a few times after. We've had no problems with chipping. If you go with another ceramic tile make sure it's not light and also stick with a darker grout color. Light tiles and grout lines get nasty quickly in a kitchen. I'd avoid laminates in a kitchen because they are not really made for areas that can get wet.
2008-07-31 9:01 AM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
We had hardwood in our old house and it got ruined when a water heater leak went undetected during a long weekend away. We didn't care for the hardwood because it really takes a beating, escpecially in our kitchen where most our activity takes place (we have 2 young boys who still need to hang out with mom and dad near). We replaced it with tile and LOVED the look and feel. It is more maintenance than hardwood - you need to be careful about keeping the grout clean. The tile (make sure you spend the money to get GOOD tile - there is some really cheap stuff out there that doesn't hold up to heavy things falling on them) cleans up easily, resists water well, and can add alot of character to the room.

We have hardwood in our new house, and we still worry about water damage if the ice maker/kitchen sink connections/dishwasher every break while we're away. I would much prefer tile. It is hard on the feet, but it looks nicer (IMO) than vinyl and hardwood.

2008-07-31 9:07 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-07-31 9:24 AM

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line

I have saltillo tile... that's the orangy color tiles.  I HATE IT! and can't wait to tear it out.  that day will be the best day in my life to rip it (better then my marriage ceremony, birth of children etc) all that frustration of having to clean it will come out!  out but it's not in the plan for awhile.  Why do I hate it so much you ask - umm where do I start. 

1. I have to be on my hands and knees with vinager water - scrub then rip off then you have to go back over again on hands and knees with baking soda water to neutralize the vinager water otherwise the vinegar eats the tile.  followed with another round on hands and knees with the glaze polish... this takes 2 hours to wash and then I have to wait 12 hours for it to dry for the glaze/polish to be put on!!! 

2.  The people who laid it laid it uneven and did not grout evenly go I have huge unevenness with the grout - so much you can't sweep you have to vaccum.

3.  it's hard on my feet and I always have dry feet to begin with

4.  it's ugly! but that's what I get when your husband buys the house and he has no clue what it takes to clean things.

So, what will I replace it with eventually:  the entire downstairs wood with the exception of the small area in the kitchen sink-washer (4x5' area) a very high grade lanoleum to prevent water damage which friends who have all wood have told me they have experienced - you know, open dishwasher and those few drops land on wood floor.  So that's what i would do and why.

cathleen

2008-07-31 9:26 AM

Pro
MA
Ceramic tiles.  Easy to install, easy to maintain. 
2008-07-31 12:27 PM

Master
Portland, Oregon

We just put in a loose-lay vinyl sheet product. It is a little thicker than the regular viny flooring. We installed it ourselves. Basically, we made a paper template of the kitchen floor with taped together newspapers, laid that on top of the piece of vinyl that we bought, cut around it with scissors, and put it in the kitchen. They suggest that you tape (double-stick tape) under the fridge and stove (heavy appliances). It was incredibly easy, no mess at all, and feels great under bare feet. I really like it. And it was only about $275 for our little kitchen. 9x10' -ish with cutouts for the cabinets.

It comes in 12'-14' widths, so if you have a kitchen that is narrower than that, then you're set. If you have to piece it together, then you'll have to use the mastic to adhere it to the floor. I think this would be great for smaller spaces - cut 'er out, plop it down, done.

2008-07-31 12:42 PM

Champion
Carlsbad, California

I have slate in my downstairs WC and travertine in my Master Bath and it seems that the key to making it all work is keeping it sealed properly.

Kitchen floors take a real beating in addition to it being generally a wet area and anything you that you can put down (That you like) that will be resistant to stains, dings and dents will be a very good thing.

The only hestitation I would have with slate is that the surface is a bit rough and keeping the dust/dirt/crumbs from collecting in the little nooks will be a bit tougher. (Your going to be mopping it more often)

Our tile guy called them "Crumb Canyons"

2008-07-31 12:51 PM

2008-07-31 12:59 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Daltile ceramic tile.  Cooler (temp-wise) floor, but if you're one to drop glass or plates at times, I wouldn't recommend having it since those items break way too easy.

A friend of mine has a bamboo flooring which looks like wood.  Very durable.

http://www.bambooflooring.biz/a1-bamboo-wood-flooring.htm

2008-07-31 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1573217

Pro
Sharkie - 2008-07-31 1:51 PM

I'm planning a house remodel and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the look and feel of Cork..  But I haven't installed it yet..  Let me know if you want to know what I've found.

Cork looks similar to hardwood but has a warm feel to it..  It's VERY soft and cushiony under your feet..  it's very forgiving if you tend to drop things..  I have a price list for the company below if you are interested..

http://www.duro-design.com/index.cfm/page/cork/

Cork would by my choice too. If I remember well, it's pretty easy to install.

2008-07-31 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1573288

2008-07-31 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1573319

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
I like the cork, I'll have to keep that in mind when we redo our kitchen.

I've done a lot of remodeling in my previous home and with friends. I've laid laminate in two rental homes I was remodeling for summer work, I laid laminate in the basement of my house, put in tile with a friend at his house, installed slate with my Brother-in-law at his house and put in the 1'x1' vinyl squares that are adhesive backed in my bathroom.

Out of all, I like laminate the best from the stand point of ease of instillation vs. finish.

Tile and slate were a PITA to install. They look great when done, but not worth the headache as the guy who has to lay it.

The vinyl squares were easiest, but I just could not get it perfect. I had a friend put it in his kitchen and it is in the kitchen of our new house and it looks great who ever installed it was far more Anal retentive then I.

For me, the Laminate flooring when down really easily and looked awesome when done. I did our whole basement in a weekend. The space was L shaped 50'x30' along the long edges with poles and a stair case to go around.

I was told it's not the best choice for kitchens, but knowing how to do it, I figure if a section gets ruined by water I just take up the floor to that section and replace it. It would be a couple hours work since everything but the pieces to replace are already cut to size. And I think water has to lay on it for several hours before it gets messed up.

As far as not using it for fear of leaks. I figure if something leaks enough to ruin the whole floor, a few hundred dollars for flooring will be the least of my worries.

2008-07-31 1:53 PM

Champion
Richmond, VA

We had hardwood installed in the kitchen and we love it.  It has taken a little bit of a beating from dropped soup cans, but nothing beyond normal wear and tear.

We went with hardwood b/c the whole first floor is hardwood and it has a great flow through out the kitchen.

Also, we bought a large area rug that fits in the middle of the kitchen.

2008-07-31 3:38 PM
in reply to: #1573217

Pro
Tejas
Sharkie - 2008-07-31 12:51 PM

I'm planning a house remodel and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the look and feel of Cork..  But I haven't installed it yet..  Let me know if you want to know what I've found.

Cork looks similar to hardwood but has a warm feel to it..  It's VERY soft and cushiony under your feet..  it's very forgiving if you tend to drop things..  I have a price list for the company below if you are interested..

Umm, you're still marketing for a guinea pig aren't you?

2008-07-31 4:13 PM
in reply to: #1574032

2008-07-31 4:28 PM

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Every time I see this thread, I see "kitchen flogging". Says something about my mental state, methinks.

Anywho, ceramic tile is great for kitchens for all the reasons listed above. It has historically been used in that capacity because of its hygienic and durable nature. You might also consider terra cotta or encaustic tile flooring, but you need the "right" floor space for that, as they sit "deeper" than normal flagstone floors. (I'm a bit on about tile right now...been looking at some 150+ yr old kitchen stove and floor tiles).
2013-07-29 7:50 AM
in reply to: TheSchwamm

Master
MidWest

Because our tenants have trashed our house, we have lots of home repairs to make AGAIN!  We just did a bunch in early 2011.  They let their pitbulls destroy a large section of our kitchen, so I have decided to install ceramic tile.  The tile I like is cheaper than the linoleum and the accessories are a wash (borrowing tools from a friend who is going to help us install, since he has done it before).  I would have liked hardwood in the kitchen to match the rest of the house but I wanted real hardwood and it was too pricey for even me!  

There is a 95% chance we will have to completely gut the master bath and I have already been looking at out local builder's warehouse for those items.  

2013-07-29 8:10 AM
in reply to: Sharkie

Originally posted by Sharkie

Opus - 2008-07-31 11:05 AM
Sharkie - 2008-07-31 1:51 PM

Cork would by my choice too. If I remember well, it's pretty easy to install.

uber easy according to the sales info they sent me..   that mfg has tiles that you glue down or it comes in a click install floating floor..  once you get the floor down you finish it with 4-6 layers of their water based poly (which is included when you buy from them.. including all the tools to poly the floor)..   and you're done..

BTW.. if you email their cust service their samples are free..  a lot of companies are charging $20-$30 to send out samples these days..

i'm looking to re-do my floor in my kitchen (right now there are about 4-5 layers of the sticky tiles...which seemed to be the previous owners MO for dealing with things)...and there is a place near me that is a supplier for the cork tiles - fingers crossed...

I have a whole plan mapped out for fixing my kitchen/removing a wall between the kitchen/dining room to open up the space etc
2013-07-29 1:40 PM
in reply to: TheSchwamm

Elite
Cleveland
I have porcelain tile in mine, and I love it.  I put a floor warming mat in underneath it, and walking on it in bare feet in winter is soooooo nice.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Kitchen flooring Rss Feed