General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimmers shoulder Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-02 8:09 PM

User image

New user

Niagara Region
Subject: Swimmers shoulder
Just recently started training for my first tri and have hit the pool a few times now. Shortly after my last session, my left shoulder really started aching... I know I'm not alone in this as I seem to remember reading about swimmers shoulder in a magazine a while back. If anyone else has experienced it I'd really like to hear how you dealt with it.
Thanks

2005-02-02 9:14 PM
in reply to: #111861

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Swimmers shoulder
There are several threads on this in the "Injuries & Other Health Issues" forum, a bit below this "Triathlon Talk" forum on the main forums page. Good luck, and be careful with your shoulder.
2005-02-02 9:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
I too have a sore shoulder every once and awhile. I went to the"USA Swimming" website and found an article on "Shoulder Injury Prevention". It is below:

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=445&A...

I just started doing them so I really can't give a report if it works or not, but you can sure feel the after affects of doing the exercises.

Randy
2005-02-02 9:49 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I get this rather easily if I don't strengthen my shoulders. I use those stretchy bands and do a few different exercises with them. Avoid dips, bench press and using paddles in the pool. They can stress your shoulder. Do a search on some rotator cuff exercises and see if that doesn't help clear up the problem.

Mike
2005-02-02 10:15 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Hey John,

I hurt my shoulder the same way - new swimmer, trying to stretch my distance too soon. I gave it 6 months on it's own to fix itself - it never did. Finally found a good chiropractor (who is also an Ironman Triathlete). In about 7 visits, I went for 30% strenght to back around 95% or so.

Bottom line, if it doesn't get better on it's own, get some help!!! Don't suffer like I did.

Good luck,

Dennis
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimmers shoulder Rss Feed