General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your grossest training session? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-13 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1598647

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: What's your grossest training session?
My running buddy and I were out early one day, so it was dark at the time. We always run with her cocker spaniel tagging along. My bud had some GI issues, so she headed for the bushes and got the duty done. The dog is always out running around, so was out of sight - nothing unusual. We called the dog back after the dash to the bushes and realized why the pup had disappeared...it had rolled in my running buddies poop.

Ew.

2008-08-13 11:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Greg Meyer, a local guy who went on to big success in running during the late 70's early 80's gave an interview before the Riverbank Run (our big 25k race). Anyway he recalled an event he did that had no porta-potties or before they were invented, but needed to do #2 and so he ducked into the woods, did his thing, wiped with the leaves on the ground and resumed running.

I don't recall when he said he discovered this but the leaves turned out to be poison ivy....All in the WRONG places....
2008-08-13 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
South Carolina
On a more serious note, what the heck causes the runner's trots in the first place? I can't believe how often I've nearly looked like the guy in the picture during my training "runs."
2008-08-13 2:22 PM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Not training or really embarrassing, but I woke up late for my first Oly this past weekend and didn't have time for my morning deposit. I am pretty sure this is why I felt like crap the entire run. I also feel bad for anyone behind me. No sharts, but I think if I had relaxed at all there could have been a huge misfortune.

On a mountain bike ride, I had to go. So I headed off into the woods, away from the trail and found a nice cozy log to sit on. It also happened to be where all the damn biting flies liked to hang out. I ended up getting bit more then once in terrible places. My poor riding buddy got the worst of it, he had to see me running through the woods with no shorts on screaming bloody murder.

In my haste to get out of there I also used the wrong half of the map to wipe. We never reconnected with the group we were going to meet and just retreated back to the car.
2008-08-13 2:28 PM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
this is the best article that I have found that gives the "why":

http://www.time-to-run.com/doctor/runnerstrots.htm

"Why : The reasons are not known for sure, and may be due to factors affecting people differently. One reason considered, is that the up and down motion of running stirs the bowels. The flow of blood to the intestines is diverted to your legs and which may 'trigger' the cramping and/or diarrhea. The underlying possibility of irritable bowel disease may be brought to light by the additional stress of the exercise. The added chance of dehydration on long training runs may also cause diarrhea. Lactose intolerance effects enhanced by the exercise."

and then this is a good personalized story on how one woman changed her diet to combat the trots:
http://www.thebodysculptress.com/Aug05.htm

for me, runner's trots is getting really frustrating. i have tried cutting out dairy, limiting fiber, and "going" before a run. I have hit strike three and am about to consult a sports nutritionist. Its getting to the point where an easy 30 min run is getting hard to do without stopping. I have also noticed that as my running form gets better and better, the problem has gotten worse and worse.

I am just happy that I am not the only one with this problem.
2008-08-13 2:37 PM

Pro

LittleCat - 2008-08-12 6:42 PM . Anyway, my run, aside from that, was fabulous! 

I think it's awesome that you crapped yourself, but you end your post with the above!

2008-08-13 4:53 PM

User image

Veteran
South Carolina
Thanks, vrljc, for the links. They're great!
2008-08-13 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

You know, it's really important not to hold your farts in.... 

because the gas will travel up your spine, and

that's where sh*tty ideas come from.

Sorry, couldn't resist

2008-08-13 8:20 PM

User image

I have'nt laughed this much in a long time, and the last time I did laugh this much I was reading a B.T. thread. Maybe someone will come out with pampers running shorts. Thanks though I feel I have learned from your experience. Bring T.P. on my runs.
2008-08-13 8:29 PM

User image

Regular
New New York

This isn't a training story and it isn't mine but it's the grossest triathlon story I know.

A friend of mine (no, it wasn't me) was doing a 1/2 Ironman and started the run feeling good. There was about a 800 meter stretch then you did two 3 mile out and backs on a dirt road in the woods. Apparently there were no port o potties on this road. He got about 3-4 mile in an started to feel 'that' feeling in his gut. He figured he'd try to make it to the end of the 1st lap to get to the port o pot. A few minutes later he got a sudden bad cramp and doubled over in the middle of the trail. He got about half way through the thought 'I need to take a s**t NOW' when his bowels exploded in his shorts. He hopped off into the woods and got his shorts down and just sprayed diarrhea everywhere. As he was squatting there he looked down and saw that he was covering his new running shoes in liquid feces. This grossed him out to the point that he started puking. Unfortunately he was puking on the same shoes. At this point his totally lost control and  began peeing on his shoes as well. When the fluids finally stopped coming out he had to find whatever he could to clean up (it was an April race so the leaves weren't fully in). He walked it back to transition and DNFed. He then took several bottles of water in the port o john and cleaned up. His whole tri outfit went in the crapper including his $100 shoes.

He was a really good sport about it and we had some good laughs at his expense.

2008-08-13 9:50 PM
in reply to: #1602101

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Bender... just when I thought I was done laughing, I get to the puke stage... then I again start to regain my composure and BAM the pee stage ensued. My stomach is in knots from laughing so hard!! LOL... Poor guy...could have been worse --- he could have looked up and realized someone was witnessing his whole ordeal!

2008-08-13 10:27 PM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
I have had things like this happen. I gave up milk and haven't had a problem since.

So those of you with the trotts, try giving up milk products for a week and see what happens. Works for me.
2008-08-13 11:55 PM

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington

I have never feared being bitten by a tarantula, but once I had a rose hair tarantula on my arm while I was surrounded by a dozen six year olds who were all trying to get a good look...well I did get nervous that it might decide to kick off some abdominal hairs.  I have such bad reactions to everything, I didn't want to experience the tarantula itch. 

Props to Yanti for working with such 'fun' pets. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your grossest training session? Rss Feed  

of 2