General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 53m 18s
Overall Rank = 427/634
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 30/58
Pre-race routine:

Did packet pick up and racked the bike Saturday night. Headed over to the Chancery for some food and libations with fellow donkey's. Everyone had dessert but I was holding out for a GS Thin Mint Blizzard from DQ. Had a great time laughing it up. Great group of peeps. Told AmyJo that if we were close enough to run to the finish together we would do so holding hands in victory. Wanted to race with her since we are pretty much par for swimming, she is superior on the bike and I may be a wee bit faster on foot. Headed home, packed the bag, took a shower hopped into bed and watched some of the Olympics. Set the alarms (yes, more than one) for 3:45 and tried to catch some winks. Slept great until 2:43 when the dogs woke me up cuz they were scratching at their necks making their dog tags jingle. Laid in bed til 3:15 and decided to start the day. Got dressed, grabbed some poptarts, a banana and water. Couldn't eat yet so waited bit and ate in the car. Did you know that The Brew plays some pretty good tunes at 4 in the a.m.? After a few songs, thru in a U2 CD and sang with Bono for the rest of the ride. Made a detour 2 miles past our exit to use the very quiet bathrooms at the WI visitors center before we parked at the shuttle area. The night before we noticed there were a whopping 12 Port-a-John's set up. Hmmm, not very many for such a large event. Parked the car, took a 10 minute ride to the race site. Set up transition and got ready for the swim.
Event warmup:

Putting on my wetsuit. Geez that sausage casing is hard to work up the bod. Whew!
Swim
  • 36m 1s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

So, I run in and the drop off is pretty immediate. Lots of legs and arms everywhere. I couldn't get in a groove until at least the first bouy. Evil thoughts went thru my head like "what the heck am I doing? How can I swim just less than a mile when I can't even make it to the first bouy? Which, by the way, is only slightly less than a quarter mile? Finally made it to that first bouy and rounded it, only to be pounded in the head and kicked in the gut a couple of times by the wave after me....yes, those men caught me:( Well, I had the little talk with myself and said DTFU!!! Took a look behind to see just how far I had fallen and saw some light purple caps back there which meant I wasn't the last in my wave and even some light blue caps, which were in a wave ahead of me. That gave me enough confidence to just put the head down and go. Kept counting to myself like I did in the pool. 12 strokes to get me to other side of the pool, or 12 strokes to go another 25 yards. Swam off course quite a few times so I know I swam more than a mile so I am happy with my time. I was very surprised when I looked at my watch in T1 and saw the 36 and change. Looked down the rack to see if AmyJo had left let and she was there getting her bike gear on. Gave her a status check and I was on my way. I knew she would catch up on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Not freak out when looking at the course. Just put the head down, breath and stroke.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

My bike was racked right next to the swim in entrance. Cool. Oh, but wait, I have to run all the way to the opposite side to bike out. DANG! Grabbed some sport beans, shoved 'em in the pie hole, took a swig of water and ran out. Man I had to relieve myself, but no time to waste.

Go to the bathroom before heading out.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 35s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Biked out as fast as I could. Had to play the carrot for AmyJo. I knew she would catch me and was hoping to get a good start to maybe ride with her. We rode together til about mile 5 and then she pulled ahead. I wanted to keep her in my sights and probably did for the next few miles and then, **poof** she disappered. I was hoping not too far ahead so I would be able to catch up to her on the run. Kept playing tag with a guy and finally introduced myself and we rode together for almost the rest of the race. As you may all know, I don't have a bike computer so I know not how fast (or slow) I ride until I log it. He was telling me we were at a 20 mph pace. NO WAY! This totally juiced me up and I just kept hammering away. Some say the bike course was short by about a mile and half, so even if it was I still broke my goal of finally racing over 18 mph. I will take it. Until Steve, my riding partner, showed up, I was doubting myself much like in the lake. WTF am I doing? Can I really keep up with Amyjo. Naysayer, blah! Very happy with how my bike turned out regardless of not being able to keep up with AmyJo.

Just put on a bunch more miles and get comfy on the bike. I am told that I seriously need to get my bike refit. I guess I could try that:)
Transition 2
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

If I didn't mention this before, my rack was at the point of swim in. Bike in and out were in the same spot, hmmmm. That means I have to run all the way to the back of transition to rack my bike, get the shoes on, grab some more sport beans and run out. Oh, wait, run out is on the opposite side of my rack too. Hmmmm, something doesn't quite add up here. Didn't see AmyJo in transition so I knew she was out there being the carrot for me. Even though she forgot her donkey tri top at home:) I walked thru transition and made sure to grab some water to down after the beans, looked at my watch and I was under 2 hours. I was definately going to break 3 hours! More go go juice surges! EEEEAAAAAWWWW!

Rerack my bike to one closer to bike in/out and run/out. There was plenty of space up there. Maybe next year.
Run
  • 55m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

After seeing that I was under 2 hours going out on the run I knew I was going to break three hours. I was so pumped. My original goal was 3:15 and my overly optimistic was 3. Time to go find my carrot. I think it was about a mile and a half in when I saw the white cap with the blonde pony tail hangin' down. She had a fluid belt on and I wasn't sure if AJ used one of those. Got a little closer and saw the white sport bra, could it be. I gave a shout out "AMYJO?" She turned and let out an explicitive "SH!T". Made me giggle. Yup, I found her. She told me to keep going. She couldn't get her heart rate down. So, we shortened our strides and chatted a while. Walked thru the water station together and ran through the fire hydrant water that was spraying every so pleasantly. Ran about another mile together and I started to pick up the pace cuz I had to go really bad. She warned me about the one port-a-john that was on the route. I avoided it hoping there would be another somewhere on the course. The bath house wasn't even open:( I suppose I would just sweat it all out. MAN WAS IT HOT! My thought was to run to a can and while doing my business she would catch up and we would run in together. There was never another opportunity. I felt great and just kept my pace. Mile three passed, then mile four and mile 5. Damn I was hot. Poured lots of water over my head, but that just wasn't doing the trick. My legs felt great, arms were relaxed and heart rate was pretty darn perfect. 1.1 miles left. Okay, pick it up a little more. Seriously, pick it up a little more. I couldn't. I was stuck in the rut. Half mile to go. Okay, really, pick it up. I was able to lengthen my strides, but I don't really think that made me go any faster. Saw Clint, Force and Wildee on the hill before the finish. They were all cheering me on. Go Donkey Mama, go, go, go. I felt like I was sprinting, but maybe not. Crossed the finish line with victory arms and tears streaming down my cheeks. I did it. I get choked up thinking about it. Had a nice wet COLD towel handed to me by one of the volunteers in the med tent, medal handed to me and I grabbed a Gatorage and Water and finished the chute. Whew, it is over and in a very respectable time might I add.

Work on nutrition. I felt great, but probably could have run more efficiently if I had a few more calories in me. Use the john before going out on the run. That is what made me the most uncomfortable I think.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around in a hazey daze. Gave a high 5 to the man named Steve who had finished before me. Thanks to him, I had a great bike time. Chatted with Schmize and Holly and a few others while trying to find Clint for my victory hug. Grabbed a naner and a bagel and tried to eat. No go. Way too tired to even chew. As I told the pals yesterday, there was no way I could pull one more stroke, pedal one more rotation or run one more step. I left it all on the course. Saw Amyjo come in from her race and gave her a shout out. I lost her though. Again, **poof** she disappeared. I went looking for Clint again and finally found him with everyone. We went up to the beginning of the finish shoot to wait for Maggyruth. Clint and Force went out on the course to find her and run with her to the finish. Cheered her on as she came thru the shoot and then it was a day. Cleaned up transition and waited for Clint to come back with the car. That shuttle thing was a pain in the arse.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, inexperience on the bike.

Event comments:

I heard there was beer somewhere, but never found it. Plenty of fluid, naners and bagels. Great support on the race. Great volunteers. Transition has to be reevaluated to be set up as a far race for all.

Last updated: 2008-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:01 | 1640 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 43/58
Overall: 492/634
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen full sleeve
Course: Triangle, clockwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:35 | 24.85 miles | 19.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/58
Overall: 441/634
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops of city roads. For the most part, flat and smooth. One section of horrible conditions which made for hard impact on the legs and arms.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:55:47 | 06.21 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/58
Overall: 371/634
Performance: Good
Course: Loop de loop. Back and forth. Here and there. Flat, no trees, very hot!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-18 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International

2008-08-18 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1610382

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International
Nice!!! Way to go on the sub-3! You were kickin' out there.

Good to meet you, too.
2008-08-18 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Excellent work! You rocked it. And you were worried. Silly girl!
2008-08-18 11:09 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Sounds like only a couple in this race - you and AJ and some guy on the bike.

Nice job out there.  Doesn't sound like any probs so a clean race, right?  EEEAAAWWW!!!

2008-08-18 11:10 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

Wow - great race!

You really rocked that run!  In fact I wish I had your run!

Great hanging out with you guys - it was a fund weekend!

2008-08-18 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran

Great job Terrance.

And for the record - you were definitely not sprinting at the end.  But you were giving all you got and that's what counts.

2008-08-18 11:27 AM
in reply to: #1610549

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
cweninger - 2008-08-18 11:13 AM

Great job Terrance.

And for the record - you were definitely not sprinting at the end.  But you were giving all you got and that's what counts.

Terrance?

2008-08-18 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Racine, WI
GREAT JOB!!!!
Wow....sounds like you gave it your all.......and it paid off sub 3...!!!
2008-08-18 12:01 PM

User image

Nice RR - felt like I was there with you. Great race and congrats on going sub-3.
2008-08-18 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Great effort, sista and congrats on smashing your best-case time! I enjoyed hangin' with all the donks. Fun day, no doubt.
2008-08-18 1:31 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Great race girl!  Smoked your 3 hour goal.  Finished strong and fought threw adversity.  Can't wait to see what you do at SOR (HIM) next year.  Oh yes, you are so ready!!!!!

Its always amazing to me how the long the swim feels, but the time on the watch isn't that long.  I have learned to just go with it.  It seems like it takes about 3 days to go 500m, but it doesn't really.  Strange.

And love the cat and mouse you had going.  I have that with a few people.  Makes it so much more interesting....

2008-08-18 6:44 PM
in reply to: #1610995

User image

Extreme Veteran
Awesome job Penny!!!!  You really smoked it!  And great race report!  Felt like I was there with you!
2008-08-18 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Great job! Loved the report! Congratulations on your personal best!
2008-08-18 9:58 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
Way to go! You so rocked it, I knew you would! So wish I was there to see you finish! Next year!
2008-08-19 7:59 AM

User image

Pro
Without house
Great job out there.  Thanks for hanging around for me.
2008-08-19 9:09 AM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

AWESOME JOB GIRL!! Had a blast racin with ya!! Thanks for pushing me on the run!! But now you know what has to happen at the next race....

2008-08-19 8:57 PM
in reply to: #1613082

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Yeah, I have to beat you again
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Rss Feed