United States
setup events,
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 21s
Overall Rank = 31/152
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/14
Pre-race routine:

Staid at my sister's house the night before. Got up had my red bull and a veggie burger. Got William and Terah up and put some breakfast in them. Got away from the house a little late and then had to stop and get Terah coffee. So we didn't get to the race site until a little after 7.

Wanted to do this as sort of a LT test. Not sure that it worked that way. Still self limiting which is probably fine because the eyes need to stay on the prize - best possible at B2B half.
Event warmup:

Set up transition, ran 5 minutes, biked 5 minutes, rolled the legs and went in the warmup pool for a lap. Stretched while waiting for my turn to start.
Saw dabrown while we were waiting to swim. He did great and got 3rd in our age group.
Swim
  • 07m 50s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

If I hand't ever mentioned it before, I really dislike pool swims. The self seeding stuff does not work. I seeded myself by giving a 100 yd time of 1:55. That got me at spot 123. After the first 50 I passed the guy in front of me. Then I passed another person. Then the logjam. I did almost 100yds at breast stroke trying not to swim over the two people in front of me. I couldn't even do a full stroke without hitting their feet. They would not allow anyone to pass. Soooo, I went around them and between them and the oncoming swimmers in the last 100 yds. I kept waiting for someone to dq me for something, but I was so pissed. Even treading water behind them I was at 1:58/100. Based upon that slow swim time, I was 49th among the men. That means I should have been seeded higher. I guess part of that sits with me, but a lot of it is with people putting in times that they can't do.
What would you do differently?:

put a faster time in so I was not with really slow people. Just the slow people
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

ok. spent a few too many seconds apologizing to the rack mates for swimming past them. Had the first rack at the swim exit, so that was nice.

speed up
Bike
  • 36m 2s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.98 mile/hr
Comments:

good ride for me. haven't been doing any hills. actually haven't ridden in over a week, so that was a good ride. Wanted to save the legs for the run. If I can repeat that ride and the run in Pinehurst, I will be happy.

get more time in the saddle
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

good transition. still doing ok with getting feet out of shoes on bike. not trying the riding on one side of the bike thing yet. baby steps. baby steps

nothing
Run
  • 20m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

good run for me. did not feel that fast (William says the same thing about his run) But looking at the winner's times, I feel comfortable that the distance is right. Probably had another 30 sec to one minute in me, but maybe not. I was not at throw up level when I finished, so that's why I feel like I had a little bit more in me. Haven't run a 5k this fast in a couple of years and never as the third leg of a race,so I'm ecstatic with this run

get to throw up level :)
Post race
Warm down:

walked up the course to cheer William on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

bike training and slow swimmers

Event comments:

Nice race. Short course which is what I needed. Wilmington will be a little longer on the swim and bike. Then Pinehurst, then B2B half. This was a good confidence builder for Pinehurst. Of course, it still kills me that I can do this well on a personal level (and the overall) and only be 6 out of 14 in my age group. This age group is just crazy.

Last updated: 2008-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:50 | 400 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 49/14
Overall: 8/152
Performance: Good
don't have an accurate average because the monitor ended up around my waist. The watch says 136, but it is probably a little higher. considering the average for T1 was 155.
Suit: none
Course: 8 laps in the sports plex pool dodging slow swimmers
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:02 | 12 miles | 19.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 38/152
avg. 154
Wind: None
Course: slightly hilly out and back with a small loop at the end of the out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:55 | 03.1 miles | 06m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 31/152
avg. 156 (just in z2) I fiddled with the monitor belt the whole run because it kept slipping down. I think this number is low because of that. the last hr at finish was 173 which I think is where it probably was.
Course: two loop course with one short steep hill you did on each loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-24 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: Sportsplex Super Sprint

2008-08-24 10:17 AM
in reply to: #1623794

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Subject: RE: Sportsplex Super Sprint

I am solving the age group problem....by getting older.  Next year I will be in the 45-49 AG.  What am I saying, I haven't raced age group yet.

Nice race.  I saw William's results at Setup and he did awesome as well.

2008-08-24 9:36 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Nice race! Wow, if you can run a pace of 6:45 in Zone 2 - that'd be amazing!

Oh, and I refuse to do pool swims for all the reasons you outline in your report. Maybe I'll see meet you at Pinehurst, which is my 'A' race, so I won't be doing hard intervals on the Wed right before race day!!!

Good luck with B2B Him training. Carol
2008-08-25 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Congrats!  Great race!  That's a crazy fast run split!
2008-08-25 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Great Race!! Sounds like everything went pretty well except for the swim!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportsplex Super Sprint Rss Feed