General Discussion Race Reports! » Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Capri Events
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 13m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Flew in to Chicago on Thursday afternoon and hit the Bears/49'ers game. Did a 10 mile bike, 1 mile run, 1/2 mile OW swim on Friday morning. Saturday was spent lounging around and eating pasta. It was funny to see a lot of people every where we went that had body markings on. It was a good conversation starter
Event warmup:

Road the bikes from cousins house to the race (5 miles)......A LOT of sitting. Transition closed at 5:45. I was in wave 48.......almost 4 hours of sitting around. So much time that I didn't stretch because I kept thinking 'I've got plenty of time'. Found some Dallas area athletes and have short conversations with them and talked with other athltete who were in the same boat as I was.

Tried to keep gel, bars, and water in my system......
Swim
  • 34m 2s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim time is a bit amiss based on the fact that there was a quarter mile run after the swim exit. I did the swim based on my watch in 30:32 which is good based on the fact that it was my first OW race
What would you do differently?:

Practice more OWS. Start having someone in my pool sessions, swim into my lane, kick me, grab my arm, then get back into thier lane.....then repeat.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

Not bad considering the distance. I guess my theortitcal time was about 6 minutes because of the run to T1. I was fortunate to have a rack right on the main paths, so there was not a lot of running up and/or down racks and racks. I probably could have shaved 30 seconds off by concentrating more and not 'thinking ahead' to what's upcoming....just focus on the task at hand.

I think I have the hang of transitions, so there was not much else that I would do differently.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 18s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.48 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 6 or so miles (before the turn to head south) were rough because of the strong head wind. The first turn around heading south was great. Going north, I was averaging 14 to 15 mph....coming back I was hitting 25mph. When I got to the TA to head back north, my chain popped off and when I picked the bike to move it to the side, the back tire fell off (rough roads combined with not being tight enough????). Out of no where, another racer stops and says "let me help you with that". 3 minutes later, I was back on the road. Without him, I would have had to either walk my bike another 12 miles to finish or get the dreaded DNF. I told the guy that he didn't have to do that and how greatful I was....but he just helped me, showed me how to fix it next time, and rode off. I honestly don't know what I would have done without him.

Invent a shield that block the wind. Learn to fix own bike (one of the first things that anyone should know how to do). I will spend some time this off season taking apart/reassembling my bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

The last 1/2 mile I tried something new and began to stretch on the bike. Quads, Hammys, hips, calves, etc. I didn't get the dreaded 'bike legs' when I dismounted. My rack was very near bike in/out so I didn't have to go too far (run out however was on the complete opposite side of the T-area). The guy next to me had taken up 2 to 3 spaces when he racked his bike to I had to move his bike but other than that...it was a good transition.

Not much. Again...could have shaved a few seconds off by being more efficient, but no complaints.
Run
  • 1h 08m 13s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile and a half were decent. Still had the little 'shuffle' going on but there were a lot of spectators around so I couldn't walk (plus I didn't know where my jock-strappers were and didn't want them to see me walking). Around mile 2.5, my legs started cramping causing me to walk/slow up. I was trying to walk/run while rubbing by hands up and down my quads.....started to feel a little better. Around mile 3 I found some 'pace booty' who was pacing at 10:09. I kept up with her until 4-ish....started walking....caught back up.....started walking. The cramps subsided and I got into a good zone and kept it until the finish. On the back side of the run, the pros were passing going in the opposite direction. WOW......Matt Reed was F-A-S-T... My goal at that time was to not get passed by them and I didn't. Overall, it was a decent run, as I am NOT a strong runner at all

Drink more on the bike and at the first water station. I had never cramped up during training or in a race. That was a first.
Post race
Warm down:

Beer tent for 2 cold ones, stretched, found my posse, collected the bikes and road back to my cousins (additional 5 miles). Packed up, went to the airport and flew home to DFW......while it was great to do my first OLY and in a GREAT city......it was great to be back in GOD'S COUNTRY.......TEXAS!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run speed. This was my first OLY ever (5th race overall). This is my first year of tris and will be the last of the season. I'm going to do a half-mary training plan beginning 9/1/08 and run the White Rock Half in December. This will hopefully help me gain more speed/endurance on the run (which has always been my limiter)

Event comments:

Looking forward to Accenture 2009!

Last updated: 2008-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:02 | 1640 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Shorty
Course: Parallel Loop heading south, then north
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:25:18 | 24.85 miles | 17.48 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Out and back (2 loops)
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:08:13 | 06.21 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-25 9:12 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-08-25 9:21 AM
in reply to: #1625306

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance

We had the same deal - first oly, 5th race - though all of mine have been OWS.  my swim coach threw things at me before my first sprint!  I like the idea of crowding up a lane to get used to the mayhem....

I started even later than you and also missed the warm up....oh well.

I agree it was fun - but that headwind sheesh!

How did you get your bike from texas to chicago without knowing how  to take it apart and put it together? traveling has gotten me to really get that....

too bad you did not join us friday night for dinner - it was fun meeting bters.....

congrats on finishing your first oly and doing great! 

2008-08-25 9:34 AM
in reply to: #1625331

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
TriToy - 2008-08-25 9:21 AM

How did you get your bike from texas to chicago without knowing how  to take it apart and put it together? traveling has gotten me to really get that....

Cousins bike......
2008-08-25 9:37 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
Good job on your race, great time considering you had to learn how to fix your bike on the side of the road.  Once you've messed around with wheels and chains a few times it will become pretty much second nature to you.
2008-08-25 10:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
nice job
2008-08-25 11:49 AM

User image

I loved your suggestion for open water swim training. It really made me laugh.

2008-08-25 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Wayne, IN
Great job on your first Oly, hope the midwest treated you well - it certainly ain't Texas! Glad you could make it.

PS - never saw an NFL football game listed as part of a pre-race routine - maybe I should add it to mine!

Again, nice job.
2008-08-25 3:53 PM
in reply to: #1626590

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
beadams - 2008-08-25 3:21 PM

Great job on your first Oly, hope the midwest treated you well - it certainly ain't Texas! Glad you could make it.

PS - never saw an NFL football game listed as part of a pre-race routine - maybe I should add it to mine!

Again, nice job.

You might have done better.....try it next time.

You placed about 8 spots a head of my cousin...he did it in 2:21 and some change. On second thought....maybe don't do the NFL thing. He did and it 'cost' him 8 spots.
2008-08-27 2:17 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Well done, even if you are from Texas. 

Guess the only thing we might have in common is a like of the Cowboys?

Glad you enjoyed your time here. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed