General Discussion Race Reports! » Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Capri Events, Inc
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 35s
Overall Rank = 766/2050
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 46/170
Pre-race routine:

I did a couple of different things before this race to try to see if the stomach issue is not only muscular related, but digestive as well.

Got the pt/massage on the area Friday afer expo, (where there was tightness found) and so we worked that out as much as we could. Did some more massaging on my own saturday while laying around...nothing too hard.

In the morning, I only had a tablespoon full of peanut butter and a coffe cup full of cold milk. No banana, no spicy sauce the night before, just plain marinara sauce, no cheese either. At transition, I didn't pop a gel or even eat 1/2 my powerbar, I just had water and a couple sips of orange gatorade.
Event warmup:

Didn't need one, since I was one of the first waves to go in, at 6:20. So I guess you could say my warm up was deciding what goggles to wear today, and I went with the brand new Kaimen Aquasphere's over the ones from last week, the mirrored Vanquisher.
Swim
  • 24m 15s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

A LOT better than 2006, and probably my strongest swim so far in a race yet. I'm sure to others it may not appear strong, but I felt strong, and that's all that matters. I got jostled around a little, but I just kind of swam away from it rather than getting rattled.

Goggles were good...didn't fog up or get water in them.

I started in the middle of the pack, all the way to the right. Did swim "off" to the left a couple of times, but don't think that was a big deal.

TIME OFF FROM 2006: 3:13
What would you do differently?:

Just keep doing what I am doing, not get distracted in there, and I KNOW I can cut time off from this the more I practice, and the stronger I get in the water.

MUST practice a lot in off season, and not slack on swim training.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

When I got to the grass after I ran across the timing mat, I finished pulling off the rest of the wetsuit (it was already more than 1/2 way down) and it came off pretty quick. I then had to run all the way through transition to get to my bike, and we had a pretty sweet spot, right by the bike out, literally, I was just feet from it, so even though I just had a bit of a run to get there, no biggie.

Threw the suit, goggles/cap, and threw on helmet, glasses, skirt, then shoes, and off I went. Going sockless rocks.

TIME OFF FROM 2006: 0:35 (every little bit helps!)

Nothing...considering how far I had to run, think this time was ok.
Bike
  • 42m 10s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 19.45 mile/hr
Comments:

AWESOME BIKE!!! I wanted to go out hard, and I did. Going North, the wind did get to me a little, but I just tried as best I could to muscle through it. I stood up and went hard over every "hill" (for those of you not familiar with Lake Shore Drive, that means over pass...ha!)

You were to pass on the right, and I am going to be honest, I was in the right about 80% of the time...I really wanted to have a strong bike, and as my last race of the season, I just wanted to "go hard, or go home."

After the turn around, we had the wind at our backs, and from time to time I would glance down at the cateye, and it was in the 20's every time I looked, and I got the biggest smile on my face...I wanted to hammer this bike, and I was achieving my goal...I knew I had to have one of the best bike splits in my AG because I never quite know what happens on the run with my stomach pain.

My other "super secret" goal was to not let ANY females pass me on the bike, and I achieved that too...only 2 dudes passed me, which was fine by me.

Made sure to not spend ALL my time in the aero bars, think I did a better job of this than last weekend in PP....so I was hoping this would keep the stomach at ease. I also didn't take in a powergel either, but I was still feeling strong, and I have to be honest, I really just wanted nothing to "upset" my stomach, so I left it in bento box.

TIME OFF FROM 2006: 7:29 (WAHHHHHOOOOO) (GUESS THE NEW BIKE HELPED!!)

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!

One wardrobe malfunction of sorts though, the skirt, not good. I am pretty sure my rear end was exposed on some of the bike (albeit I did have my swim bottoms on, so it's not like I was trying to be Janet Jackson or anything), but with the wind, and the fact that this skirt didn't have the little shorts under it, a little breezy. Also, since no little bike short, coming out of the swim, and onto the bike, I felt I was slipping a little when I first was peddaling up the ramp at Randolph.
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

I added time here from 2006, since back then I didn't have bike shoes yet, so all I did was rack my bike, take off my helmet and go.

Overall, I think this transition was fine. Didn't have to grab race belt since # was already attached to my skirt.

TIME OFF FROM 2006: +0:13

Nothing
Run
  • 28m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

NO PAIN! NO PAIN! NO PAIN!

Stomach felt strong on the run so when I finished, I wondered if I should have tried to go all out, but I think I just wanted to have a race where I had zero pain, so I didn't. See below, will practice this on the offseason.

TIME OFF FROM 2006: 0:08 (who cares, still faster, right?)

Learn whether or not when I have no pain, if I can go hard or if going hard will bring it on? It's almost like when I don't have any pain, I get too comfortable, and don't push it, and if I can pick up the pace without having the pain come on, then I should.

This is one of the biggest things I will practice on my offseason.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a cold ACCENTURE towel, and threw that on (with my white running top, I'm sure that was lovely) I was hot!

Pretty much went back to swim start to grab my gear check bag and call Jen to let her know that I dropped 11 minutes off from 2006, and I felt TERRIFIC!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

Will I bump up to the OLY next year???? Not sure...don't like the idea of waiting around until noon to start, and I sure love the early start time with the sprint. I also heard the swim and bike are really congested, so I may just stay with the sprint on this one, and do the OLY the weekend before at Pleasant Prairie since that seemed to work out pretty good.

The other positive thing about the sprint, we always get the best bike rack positioning within transition, so who wouldn't like that.

Since this is my last race this year (triathlon at least) I would like to do what Crowny2 did, and thank some people for all of their support.

First off would have to be my 3x IM sister...she was at 4 out of 5 races this year (told her to stay home for Accenture, too crowded) cheering me on, good and bad, and even with Accenture, I could tell how excited and proud she was of how well I had done. I couldn't have made it through, especially last weekend at my first OLY without her...

The others, like Crowny2 said, you know who you are...you guys really helped lift my spirits when I was down in the dumps, and you also really pushed me to keep fighting and HTFU!! This website is AMAZING, and I brag about it all the time! I am so lucky to have such wonderful people to call my TRIFRIENDS!!! THANK YOU!!! I really appreciate all of you!!

PEACE OUT HOMIES!!! :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:15 | 750 meters | 03m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/170
Overall: 766/2050
Performance: Average
The actual time when I looked at my watch at the end of the swim was 21:02, then you made the climb out of the stairs and run down to transition.
Suit: Sleevless Quintana Roo
Course: Straight shot down to Monroe from start.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:10 | 13.67 miles | 19.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/170
Overall: 417/2050
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: North up to Foster, turn around, and come back into Randolph exit.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:33 | 03.11 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/170
Overall: 1037/2050
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back loop by the Aquarium and some on the bike path just north of Soldier Field, and then under the underpass to Congress to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-28 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2008-08-28 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1635772

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Awesome race. 11 Minutes off of your previous CR for a Sprint is huge. You were faster in every leg of course but taking off ~7:30 from the bike and still posting a solid run is outstanding. (Not to mention three minutes and change off of the swim which is an eternity in a sport measured in seconds)

Glad to hear the tummy troubles did not get to you. I am sure you will figure this out at some point but it seems that for now, it seems like what you did (or did not do) last weekend worked.

Top 25% overall for the bike split suggests way more than just the benefit of a new bike. Like Bryan says, "It is not the Arrow but the Indian" that makes it go

Very nicely done and fantastic way to end the season. So what's on tap for the off-seaon? Gonna run some open running races or maybe some base building for next year?

I know there are some very cool races in your area not to mention a very well done Marathon

2008-08-28 4:08 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
That's a GREAT run shot of you with the Sears Tower in the background! Congrats on your finish.
2008-08-28 4:13 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Saaaweeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome,awesome,awesome,awesome.

Totally cool.  Just so totally cool.

Way to go.  You really did a great job.  Super proud of you.

2008-08-28 6:42 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

totally do the Olympic next year - it was so much fun!

and who cares if your rack is far away - everyone else in your division is right there with you....

and the crowd on the swim was really ok....

great meeting you and glad your stomach did not hurt! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed