General Discussion Triathlon Talk » II see white people... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-29 10:44 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: II see white people...

Ok, not trying to start a race issue here, but....

Do tri's cater to white ppl?

This is my first year of triathlons. I did my first in April, my second in June, and my latest in mid August.

I have looked at all the pics of those tris and....I can count on my fingers and toes the number of triathletes that were not white...

Is it a Southern thing? Maybe in the North and West it isn't so 'white'...

I would like to see less disparity and more diversity...

Anyone care (or dare) to comment?

FWIW, I love diversity. Black, yellow, orange, purple, and green people are all alright in my book...I am a Zonie (born in the Panama Canal Zone to an American father and Panamanian mother). I'm just curious. Is this like a tennis or polo thing? White ppl like tri's?

Looking forward to replies...

2008-08-29 10:49 PM
in reply to: #1639043

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Subject: RE: II see white people...
Lots of Hispanics do tri's here in California. Often are the overall winners too. Quite a few Asian Americals too, only a few African Americans, at least at the races I go too.
2008-08-29 11:05 PM
in reply to: #1639048

User image

Master

Cashmason - 2008-08-29 8:49 PM Lots of Hispanics do tri's here in California. Often are the overall winners too. Quite a few Asian Americals too, only a few African Americans, at least at the races I go too.

northern CA too. 

2008-08-29 11:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
That is a valid question. I have no clue.

I'll have to think about it. That is indeed a ponderous question.

You kind of ask two questions I suppose:

1. Why is the racial demographic of triathlons so specific?

-and-

2. To quote your own writing carefully: "Do tri's cater to white ppl (people)"

AS I mentioned, I don't have even a guess as to an answer on #1.

For number 2, my answer as a fellow who has been in the sport since 1984 is, "No" Absolutely not. I don't feel triathlons "cater" to any one group: race, ethnicity, religion or any other distinction among people. It's an equal opportunity -kicker. Regardless of race, color or creed every mile is 5,280 feet.

That said, your observation is accurate and does beg insight....

Good question... I have to think about that one...
2008-08-29 11:30 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
If there are fewer people of color, I would think it has more to do with the issues of income (a bike is more expensive than a basketball or baseball and glove), opportunity (like learning to swim or ride a bike), and exposure.  If you don't know anyone who swims/bikes/tri's competitively, you are less likely to get into it.  Golf used to be seen as a very "white" sport, until Tiger made it seem accessible to non-whites. And for as little golf is on TV, there is still a lot more coverage of golf than triathlons. Not to mention big organizers like PGA and LPGA. And all the local amateur tourneys.  Plus people kind of know about it from movies like Caddyshack and Vance Bagger.  How many movies feature triathlon? Heck, I can only think of one that even features biking (Breaking Away) in a competitive fashion.
2008-08-29 11:32 PM

Well, I can't say too much about how triathlons are marketed and promoted, but I have to agree, I just did my first triathlon last weekend and to be honest I think I was the darkest skinned person there, and I'm just a white guy with a good tan.

I do think, though, that with triathlons being something of a non-traditional sport, that in a lot of areas of the country, where traditional sports reign supreme, people just don't encourage others of any race to participate. I think another big factor is the "elite" perception of triathletes. I think a lot of people think that to participate in a triathlon, you have to be some kind of a super athlete. I think that since sometimes white people can be seen as elitists (and sometimes rightly so), that it can add to the intimidation factor.

I think a lot of the media images of triathlons discourage people, too. When you see that super-fit white guy with his $4000 triathlon bike, it doesn't seem too appealing to the average African, Hispanic, Latino, or Asian American that can't afford something like that and doesn't look like that (not to mention all of the white people, too, who are turned off by those images). What people need to see more of are images of people like my friend's son that went with me. He is 13 years old, riding on an old Schwinn 10 speed we got from Good Will for $10 that's at least as old as his dad, and just likes competing. That's the reality of most triathletes. They're just normal people with modest incomes trying to have some fun. Sure, you see the occasional rich guy or gal cruising around on the most up to date, high dollar bike and they have all the high end gear and gadgets. But most of us ride old bikes, run in shoes that we bought on discount at Walmart, and just want to have fun. I think if more minority groups saw that kind of image of triathletes, I think we would see a big difference in participation by people of other races.

2008-08-29 11:36 PM

User image

Expert
At the first 2 tris I have done, I have only seen a couple of blacks, a few Asian athletes. I have no idea why. I have seen a lot more African Americans at century rides, at least from a % standpoint....
2008-08-29 11:45 PM

Regular

Maybe its the swim portion.  It's been my observation that African Americans aren't big into swimming...thats a sweeping generalization, I know...but, you see this even at the Olympic level.  The pool is dominated by generally white people. You go to the track and its the exact opposite.  Just my opinion, but I think its a cultural thing.

2008-08-29 11:52 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

I think its because white people just like pain?

2008-08-30 12:15 AM

New user
Also i believe when you tell people you are doing a triathlon they immediately think ironman which is a huge undertaking but the reality is maybe your local sprint or oly race which is not so much, but most people don't really know of these shorter distances just ironman and to the average person that ironman athlete must be crazy.
2008-08-30 12:20 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I suppose there might be some unintended economic barriers based on relative per capita income of non-white segments of the population.  This sport isn't exactly cheap when you look at the cost of pool access for training, cycling gear, entry fees, travel to races, etc. 

I certainly don't think there is any intended or deliberate racial disrcrimination on the part of any of the organizing bodies of the sport.

IMHO, Triathlon is always going to be a bit a fringe sport as far as most of the population is concerned, not one that is ever going to draw in the masses either as participants or spectators.  How famous (and wealthy) would Lance Armstrong be today if he had stuck to triathlons rather than pursuing a cycling career? 

Without trying to sound racist, I don't buy into the ideal that we have to have diversity in everything.  I do strongly support equal economic opportunity for all (one of the reasons that I have worked with Habitat for Humanity for years), but sport is something we do by choice, it's not a right or necessity. 

Then again, it could be that whites are the only group gullible and stupid enough to spend so much money and effort on stuff we used to do all day for free when we were kids.

Mark

2008-08-30 1:38 AM

New user

I think it's largely a cultural thing, and partially a financial thing. 

It seems different sports are just entrenched in different cultures.  Two obvious general examples: young African-American kids gravitate most strongly toward basketball, by far.  Hispanics gravitate most strongly towards soccer, by far.  Popularity begets popularity - when all your siblings/friends/classmates are into a sport, you are much more likely to do it as well.

The financial part may partially explain it as well.  For both of those sports all you really need is a single ball and a goal.  Period.  This probably explains a lot about the popularity of soccer worldwide, as well as the exponential growth in the international popularity of basketball.

Having said that - it's not like running and swimming are exactly equipment-intensive either, so that doesn't explain the entire discrepancy. 

Maybe most people just realize that basketball and/or soccer are MORE FUN and LESS PAINFUL than triathlons?  Duh. 

Chris

2008-08-30 1:55 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

I don't have a link, but I've seen it reported that the average income of a triathlete (or maybe Ironman) is $140k(I'm brining that average down big time). 

If that's true, there is certainly a financial barrier.  If you factor in the opportunity cost of training, the need to have access to water, places to go on long rides other barriers are in place.  Additionally, having a lack of diversity itself might be a turn off to some minorities. 

I think the financial disparity between races is getting better but from what I've seen reported is still not equal.  With that in mind, I can see why triathlon lacks the diversity.  It's a shame, but I don't see if getting better anytime soon. 

2008-08-30 4:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Kailua-Kona now in Oregon,
Eh, Kimo, you come Kona, brah. You no see haoli hea, ya? We got Hawaiian, an Samoan, an Japani brah. Chini maybe to. But no haoli — okea, maybe haoli some some. But haoli no swim good. Ainokea anyway brah. it all same same fo mea.

In other words, here in kona it's pretty well a mix of races, but mostly Asian/islanders. But I've never really paid attention to what race anyone is, just how fast they pass by me.
2008-08-30 6:02 AM

User image

Upstate NY

I am black, and was the only black person at my first race, and only saw one other black person at the next race.  After my last race I have been telling people I came in first in my "race" group.

I didn't notice how undiverse it was until I saw pictures someone took, and I really stuck out!.  (doesn't help that I am 6ft 4in 225lbs)  This not only happens in triathlons, but in local running races, running groups, and bike riding groups.

For me I think it just came down to a lack of knowledge about triathlons.  Until recently I only thought there was the ironman, had no idea there were any other races.  Without that knowledge I NEVER would have started.  I would think most people would get pulled into their first one by being pulled in by someone else??  (since many blacks don't participate, who is there to pull them in??)  That might be part of it, just no in the culture.  (but there ares so many other issues, like most listed here)

I love being the only black guy, EVERYONE on the race course remembers me, and there is no problem fining myself in race pictures!

2008-08-30 6:17 AM

User image

Master
You know… There was a girl who was posting earlier this year that she was doing a study (for grad school) about this very topic.

2008-08-30 7:24 AM
in reply to: #1639160

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I have pondered that at some points in my tri experience as well.  But lately I have been seeing more and more ethnically diverse fields at the events I participate in.  We even have one of the more "celebrity" African-American participants here with Mayor Fenty from D.C.  And he does not just do them for exposure, he is pretty competitive in his AG and does all the way up to HIM distance.
2008-08-30 7:30 AM

User image

Elite
I really do think it comes down to swimming.  The YWCA did a big fundraiser last year to raise awareness of drowning deaths of African Americans.  I can't remember the #'s but it was a huge differance between blacks and whites in % of deaths per population.  It seams in Minnesota at least that African Americans are much less likely to learn how to swim. 
2008-08-30 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran

In my opinion this is not a "race" issue. This is simply a sport that is still flying under the radar of the general population.

As far as an "economic" issue. It's only an issue if you make it one. I started this adventure using a CHEAP mountain bike purchased from a big store that advertises "falling Prices" ( I won't be an advertisement for them). It was my choice to purchase an "entry level" road bike for $600.00 entry level my @$$. I had to "scrimp and save" for a year to make that purchase and felt guilty spending that much for a "bike". My only rational was the more miles I ride it the less it costs per mile to own.

As far as being less expensive than "basketball or baseball" ... Bologna! Baseball - cleats $75+ per season, $250 and up for (1) good baseball bat per season, $150 (1) good ball glove. Least we forget cost of being on a competitive team $500 - $800 for 25- 35 games (Uniform rental, field & umpire cost). That's just cost for a child between the ages of 12 -17 yrs old. I know ... 2 of my 4 boys played while I coached ... I can't wait to see what my daughter costs will be for sports. (cause everything is "quite and has to match" OMG!!

2008-08-30 8:18 AM

User image

Expert

I am a huge huge hockey fan, and I've noticed the same thing. There is really little ethnic diversity in hockey. Not so many minorities, and the one's that do play hockey are not from the US. Most of those are African-Canadiens or African-French.

Of course it's easier to figure out with hockey. Ice is the main ingredient, and it really only gets cold enough outside for kids to play hockey in the northern US and Canada, and of course the Nordic countries in Europe (Sweden, Denmark, Finland ect.)

I would love to see some demographics on this issue if anybody finds out any info.

Edited by crazylegs 2008-08-30 8:19 AM
2008-08-30 8:25 AM
in reply to: #1639213

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
asaling - 2008-08-30 9:06 AM

As far as being less expensive than "basketball or baseball" ... Bologna! Baseball - cleats $75+ per season, $250 and up for (1) good baseball bat per season, $150 (1) good ball glove. Least we forget cost of being on a competitive team $500 - $800 for 25- 35 games (Uniform rental, field & umpire cost). That's just cost for a child between the ages of 12 -17 yrs old. I know ... 2 of my 4 boys played while I coached ... I can't wait to see what my daughter costs will be for sports. (cause everything is "quite and has to match" OMG!!

But the difference from the economics POV is that you can use an old glove, bat, and ball, and find an empty lot or use a corner of a city park to play a pick up game of baseball; and for the cost of a basketball, play hoops in most places since courts (or at least an old plastic milk crate with the bottom cut out, nailed to a telephone pole - talk about returning to the roots of a sport!-) can be found in pretty much every city and town in America.  But you really would have a hard time having a "pick-up" triathlon.  And from what I've read elsewhere, one of the big reasons for the increased drownings in african american kids has to do with lack of access to pools to learn in. And as you point out, even the "entry" level big box bike can pose a real barrier to economically disadvantaged individuals, who might feel that it makes more sense to spend $500-600 on a beater car that is more useful to them day to day. (Or on a PS3 that the kid will use every day, regardless of weather...

2008-08-30 9:58 AM
in reply to: #1639224

User image

Veteran

I should have added the fact that I waited a year before I "upgraded" from a inexpensive" mtn.bike ($135 new) to my"entry level" bike. But that was my choice not necessity. I haven't seen too many kids over the age of 10, riding around on cheeper bikes than that.

My point was simply, one doen't have to use "new or state of the art" equipment to participate or have fun participating in a sport.

How-about this ... Triathlon for the "furgle" (1) old bike - $30 from garage sale, (1) swim trunks $20 - K-mart, (1) pair PF flyers ??? $30... Upgrades optional. Actually a game of "pick up triathlon" is real easy to do and it can be played alone. And please don't get me going on those silly video game what-cha-ma-call-its, that suck all the brain matter out of peoples heads. (honestly I think they were created as testing devices by Martians)

Unfortunately, I know exactly what I'm thinking and mean when I typing but all the words don't make it to the screen...Sorry. LOL

Edited by asaling 2008-08-30 10:04 AM
2008-08-30 12:25 PM

User image

Pro
MA

I am an Asian triathlete....

Also I believe people tend to hang out with "their own kind", meaning, if your friends are doing something, you would try to do the same thing.  e.g basketball is popular among African Americans and soccer is popular among Hispanics.  They are already busy playing those sports therefore only few of them would give triathlon a shot. 

2008-08-30 12:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Being multi-racial I am always counting heads at different events and places I go. I have always been one of the few people of color at triathlons -not so much for running races. I have seen an increase recently in televised tri's but still, I would agree it comes down to $$$ and exposure. Let's face it triathlon is a rich mans sport -even if you don't buy the expensive bike, clothes, shoes -just the entry fee alone to these races is oppresive! Most people with lower income can't drop a few hundred bucks here and there. SO... while I don't think triathlon excludes people of color, I think the sports "requirements" to participate discount those with less money which in our country tends to be people of color.

The mayor in DC is a black- triathlete who has launched a program to try and get young kids involved in triathlon in that city. I would love to see USAT make some efforts to reach out in this way.

2008-08-30 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
If swimming is the issue then there is always duathon? And I've seen some very good black duathlon participants. As to swimming I'm around swimming almost everyday, kids swim and I assist with the team if they need me. The city pool offers lessons at a very affordable rates and you will not see many if any african american kids trying to do it. Even the few who try to do swim team swimming and are being taught the strokes don't readily adapt to what is needed. I certainly know the sport looks to be white, but I have not doubt that it caters to no one by race. You train, You enter, You train some more, You Participate I think it is that simple. And as some have stated if its not something your around your not likely to take it up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » II see white people... Rss Feed  

of 2