Activ Foundation
18C / 64F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6am, ate some fruit toast with peanut butter and honey, then caught the train into the city. Transperth had put on an extra train leaving Clarkson at 6.48am, we got on at Greenwood and managed to get on, by the time it left the next station Warwick, there was no room left for any new passangers! It was so sad to see their disappointed and frustrated faces :(

We didn't bring any warm clothes because we knew we'd be hot within 5 mins of starting the race, but that made for a very uncomfortable 1 hour wait for the race to start! St George's Tce in the city is a wind tunnel and I was covered in goose bumps top to toe!!! At least we bumped into some friends so we had some conversation to keep us company (and we mainly talked about how cold it was). At least is wasn't bucketing down with rain like last year.

The queue for the toilets was horrid, I stood in line for aaaages and finally got into a cubicle. When I was using it, I heard the starting horn go off! Luckily there were 37,000 people racing, and I was in the last group of runners (Group D) so I still managed to start within my group. Whew!
Event warmup:

Ran to the train station and stretched whilst waiting for the train. I am sure all my muscles froze up again waiting for the race to start though.
Run
  • 1h 22m 36s
  • 12 kms
  • 06m 53s  min/km
Comments:

This is the first time I have ever run the full length City To Surf! I did the 4km run last year but this year I was ready for something bigger thanks to all my running training over winter. Overall I really enjoyed it. I knew that the course contained 3 big hills to conquer, but I was pleasantly surprised that there was also a lot of easy down-hill running which allowed for plenty of recovery. I also really really enjoyed running with so many people. It was a big change from my usual BOP position *lol*

My usual gut issues played up, won't go into detail but I had to make a toilet stop halfway, despite going twice before the race started. This added about 5 mins to my time, I paused my HRM and the time recorded in this RR is my HRM time. My official time will be longer.

I was plagued by a really weird sensation in my lungs, it felt like my airways were constricted and I couldn't get as much air in as usual. This left me very out of breath and I had to stop and walk several times, especially up the hills. I was actually wheezing when I took deep breaths! I am not asthmatic and never have been. I've been coughing up phlegm all afternoon and still can't breathe comfortably so I'm thinking its probably a chest bug of somesort. I don't feel unwell though like I usually do with a cold. Anyway, whatever it is, it was a little frustrating because I could have done a much better time had I not had to stop and walk so many times. But there's always next year!!!
What would you do differently?:

Not a lot. I have done more running training this winter than I have my whole life. If my chest had been OK I would have gone better.

And as always, one can always train more :)
Post race
Warm down:

Had my free bottle of water and apple, and walked around for ages trying to find Sefton. We had to get home quickly because there was a surprise party for my grandma's 80th birthday that we had to be at by 12pm. We had arranged to meet at his corporate tent, but it was no where to be found! Finally I bumped into him, turns out his company had not erected a marquee as promised after all, and we were both wandering around lost in the massive crowd trying to find eachother!

I got to see Cathy Freeman! She was being interviewd by the radio station 94.5FM on stage when I walked past looking for Sef. I was about 10m away from her! How exciting, I am so pleased I got to see such a great Olympian and role model. Her time was 1:03, but I think she walked and mingled a lot with the crowd along the way, plus she says shes a sprinter and doesn't usually run long distances. Surely just trying to make us mere mortals feel better about ourselves :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Funny wheezing thing.

Event comments:

I'll be back next year! This is a great local race on quite a challenging course where you get to run with HEAPS of people of differing abilities. It lets me see my achievements in a more objective way when I compare my fitness level to a much larger cross section of the population, not just elite super-fit triathletes *LOL*

Last updated: 2008-02-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:22:36 | 12 kms | 06m 53s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Undulating course from the centre of the Perth CBD to City Beach.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-31 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: City to Surf

2008-09-01 3:23 AM
in reply to: #1640092

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: RE: City to Surf

Good work on the run! doing the 12k instead of the 4 k.  bummer about the toilet issues.  it sucks when you've got to stop.

I got to chat to Cathy Freeman while we were running I actually went past her!!  she was talking to people all the way along, was a great idea having her along as well.

absolutely perfect conditions yesterday!! 

I've had a similar thing with the tight chest and running,  when its cold air etc,  my lungs don't seem to like it and I get a couch/phlegm wheezy for the rest of the day.  I've narrowed it down to High exertion when its cold.   it doesn't happen when i'm not pushing myself.  perhaps thats what happened?

2008-09-01 6:48 PM
in reply to: #1640092

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: City to Surf

Might be worth mentioning the wheezing to your Doc next time?

Great effort thought, the training had paid off and stepping up to the 12km is a great effort.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City to Surf Rss Feed