United States
Sunset Racing
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 8s
Overall Rank = 30/228
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:15am. Followed guidance from other posts on BT and ate bread with peanut butter (and a little jelly just cause it's good!). Cliff bar on the 1 hr drive to the event.
Event warmup:

Long walk from Transition to swim start, then 100yard swim out to first buoy and back.
Swim
  • 11m 17s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

My first OWS. I started outside and and the back not really knowing what to expect in a race other than reading BT threads. I was going at my normal slow pace but still started passing people. Lots of people were frog kicking and stopping even in the first 200 meters. I tried to find someone to draft I think with such a short course it was just too crowded and bunched up. Ended up just working on sighting and trying to stay on course and not running into people ahead.

Had heard beforehand that the water was warm and nasty. I didn't think it was bad. I would say visiblity was at least a few feet and can't complain about warm water!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. More swimming will eventually increase my speed, but it was nice to complete the swim without being tired.
Transition 1
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

There was a long run from the swim end to the transition. Didn't have any issues. After transition there was a right hand up hill segment they made us walk the bike up before mouting. This was a hard segment to navigate with cleats on and something changed after the race had started.

Nothing, going to be a while before I worry about mouting with shoes clipped in so I'm happy with my time.
Bike
  • 34m 43s
  • 10.6 miles
  • 18.32 mile/hr
Comments:

With such as short course it was very crowded. Several times I had to cross over the bumpy things in the middle of the road to avoid slower riders riding two or three wide. Downhill was tough as there were again lots of slow riders that I was trying to pass. Only problem I had was with one of the roundabouts on the first lap. It was the only point in the course that I didn't have someone directly ahead. The turn wasn't marked and I went the wrong way. Had to divert back on course.

More hill work in training!
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Entry to transition was a 90 degree left at the bottom of a steep hill. This was slippery with cleats on and several people went down here. Put on socks and tied my shoes so took a bit longer than T1.

Forgot my garmin 305 on the bike.

Remember to take the garmin along.
Run
  • 27m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

First part of the run was tough for me. Hadn't done any bricks in my two months of training and now know it's a time to start. During the desert/trail part of the run there were two hills that were challenging. On the second half of the run they directed you back alongside the transition area. I thought this was the finish but we still had over a mile to go. The actual finish line wasn't marked and was through the hotel tunnel/bridge around a bend so there was no indiciation it was coming. Could have started sprinting early.

Having my garmin along would have been nice so I knew what pace and how long I'd been running.
Post race
Warm down:

post race breakfast provided which was nice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Since this was my first race, no idea how hard to ride on the bike as I wanted to have energy left to run.

Event comments:

My first race so nothing else to compare it to.

No finishers medals or tags :( I know for many people who do lots of events these aren't important but I was looking forward to one from my first race.

I won my age group but wasn't able to stay for the awards so hoping they can mail out medal as I heard there were ones for that. Probably going to be the only time I win my AG so would have been nice to have been there!

Talked to several friendly people before and after the race. My family and friends weren't at the race so no one to hang out with.

Last updated: 2008-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:17 | 547 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 0/228
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: Out and back around two buoy's. Very narrow under bridge segment that got crowded in our wave.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:55
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:43 | 10.6 miles | 18.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Wind:
Course: 3 lap course. One big hill near the start then mostly downhill for the rest of the lap.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:59 | 03.11 miles | 08m  min/mile
Age Group: 1/11
Course: Out and back on asphalt and dirt.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-01 12:53 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: Lake Las Vegas Triathlon

2008-09-01 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1641650

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: RE: Lake Las Vegas Triathlon

Congratulations on your 1st AG!!!

I have a good girlfriend that raced too...but...the Sprint

2008-09-02 1:38 AM
in reply to: #1641712

Expert
Las Vegas

Nice job winning your AG, and I agree completely about the problem with cyclists riding 2, 3 and sometimes 4 wide.  Obviously there are many who haven't read the rules and regulations for USAT.  I had the same problem as you, screaming "ON YOUR LEFT!" constantly so that others would move over.

I was also saddened that there werent finisher medals...not a huge deal, but something to say..."thanks for racing with us today, and congrats on a Triathlon finish."

2008-09-02 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1642596

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Good work!  You kicked arse!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Las Vegas Triathlon Rss Feed