Freescale
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 46m 20s
Overall Rank = 193/1885
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 35/361
Pre-race routine:

I AM THE MARATHON MASTER!!! 3:46 BABY!! My previous marathon personal record was a 4:38...I shaved off 52 minutes!! Bring on the Ironman, I ain't scared!! Okay, someone get a hold of me before I get drunken with power, lol. I'm just so excited with my run today.

Pre-race routine: I drove to Austin on Saturday and picked up my packet at the Palmer Events Center. Then I walked around the expo. I bought a pouch that goes on to your race belt to carry my hammer gels. After leaving the expo, I checked into the hotel around 3:30 pm. I decided to try out my little pouch. I loaded it up with gels and then jogged around the room. It bounced all over the place. Oh no no no! This will certainly not work. No problem, I can solve this. I brought a cycling jersey to wear in the run. I put one gel in each of the three pockets (they didn't bounce around with my race belt around my waist to hold them down), then I could put three down my sports bra (one advantage to being a woman), and then I would hold one in my hand and take it after the first half hour. My best friend showed up around 5:00. It's tradition for me to go eat at the Spaghetti Warehouse whenever I'm competing in Austin so that's where we ate. We came back to the hotel where I was planning to take a shower and go to bed around 9 or 10, but we got caught up watching the Blue Collar Comedy Tour on Comedy Central (I have seen it before, but it just cracks me up...probably because a lot of it hits too close to home). So, I ended up going to bed around midnight.
Event warmup:

I woke up at 4:00 am to eat my power bar and drink some oj, then I went back to bed and reset the alarm for 5:15 am. I of course, couldn't sleep so I woke up a few minutes before the alarm went off and I hear it pouring rain. I yell, "No, no no!" My best friend jumps up, "What?!" "It's raining!!" She tries to calm me down and tells me that it will stop before the race starts. All I can think about is how much it's going to suck to run with wet feet. I get ready for the race, but I am always so nervous before events and just going spastic. I ate 4 pb crackers. Once I think I'm ready we start to gather up our stuff to head down and check out. That's when we hear the hotel-rattling thunder. I'm quickly losing hope. Why didn't I think to get any rain gear when I saw everyone and their dog buying the stuff the day before at the expo. I really should have expected it because whenever Lindsay and I get together it always happens (I don't think I can remember a single camping trip where we didn't get rained on at least a little bit). We go downstairs to checkout and a couple of women are also checking out and they ask the clerk for some trash bags. Great idea! So I get one too. Whose trashcans are these? Jolly green giants?? I'm tripping on it, it's so long. But hey, I'm covered. Lindsay drives me as close as she can to the start. I leave my car keys with her. We planned to try to meet up at the finish line, and if we didn't find each other, I would take the shuttle back and meet her at the hotel. So, off I go in the rain towards the starting line in search of the porta-potties. I get there and I'm like...I feel like I'm missing something. It was warm enough that I was just in a short sleeve top and some spandex shorts (and one super duty trash bag). I've got my gels, my ibuprofen, tums, number...that's when I look down at my feet. My race chip! I left it in my bag which is in my car, which the keys are with Lindsay, who is now gone. I start to panic; that's what I get for being so concerned about the rain...I couldn't think clearly. I run to the bag check and they send me to the information booth where I was greeted by a nice lady who said no problem. All I had to do was turn in my number and get a new number with a new chip. I was kind of sad to give up my number because the numbers were really cool, they had your name typed big across the top so people would know your name. But I would rather be counted so rather than being runner 4079, I was now number 262. Whew, crisis averted and I still had time to go to the bathroom. By this point it had stopped raining, but as I stepped into the porta-john I hear the rain start to beat down. Hmmm, perhaps I could just chill in here until the race starts, lol. After leaving the bathroom I headed to the start and just lined up where I fell...the 3:45 pace group. I was thinking to myself, I should move back, there is no way I will even see this group out on the course. I took my ibuprofen and tums, and was ready to go. The rain even stopped, hooray! I'm saved! So I ditched the trash bag as we walked towrads the line. Warm-up, other than jump-starting my heart with the chip scare would be the 3 min. walk it took me to cross the start line.
Run
  • 3h 46m 20s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to run this marathon according to HR and stay within my MAF zone (145-155). So once I got moving I really tried to stay in that range and not get cuaght up in the adrenalin rush and take off with everyone. It was really crowded for awhile so I spent a lot of time weaving in and out. I get a side stich within a couple minutes into it. I remain calm though and just do my breathing exercises. Within about 10 minutes it went away and I felt fabulous! So, marching on to mile one...wait a sec, that sign just said mile 2, where the heck did mile one go? I mean, not that I'm complaining...I didn't have the urge to go back and take a look at it. I look down at my watch and sure enough, it said 18:11. It so did not feel like I had been running that long. I passed the 3:45 pace group around mile 3, which made me nervous that I was going too hard, but my heart rate said I could do it so I didn't argue. It's amazing how fast those first few miles fly by. It was overcast and cool for the first few miles. I started taking my gels about every half hour, I was drinking at each aid station, my HR was where it needed to be...I felt awesome. The sun came out for a few miles near the beginning, but then it clouded over again. It's so hard to stay calm and to not go barrelling down the course when everyone is cheering and there's bands and music on the sidelines and you just feel great, but I just kept telling myself I would pay for it in the end if I didn't control myself. We worked our way towards downtown where the half-way point was. I crossed the 13.1 mark in 1:50:03. Wow, I couldn't believe it and I was still feeling strong. Up to that point the hills had been weeny...these aren't hills, ant hills I tell ya! Well, after the half-way point you learn what hills are, but no biggy, I train on hills just as bad as these so I keep on a cruisin'. Around mile 16 I got a huge cramp in my left calf muscle. It was weird because it was on the lower calf, I've never felt pain there, but man did I feel it then; felt like someone was stabbing a knife in my leg. I tried to remain calm and just run through it. Every once in awhile it would be a sharp pain, so sharp that I almost stopped at a medical tent as I ran by. But that would take time...I've got no time to spare! Onward. If I ran flat footed it didn't hurt as bad. After about 5 miles it was pretty much gone. Around mile 18 or 19 the sun came out with a vengence. With all the rain that had dumped on the city, it turned Austin in to one big sauna, it was horrible. Mile 20, I saw many people hit the wall...several people started the run/walk shuffle. My past two marathons I broke down and walked a little too, but not this time. I was going to run the whole way. My heart rate was showing my fatigue because for pretty much the last 10k my monitor was screaming at me, but I just ignored it...I'm too close now. The last few miles there was no shade, running on the black asphalt, near lots of traffic, it was so hot. I concentrated just making it from one mile to the next. The 3:45 pace group passed me around mile 20 too, but I tried to stay calm...I have to go my pace, run my race. Around mile 25.5 people were serving beer, the smell was making me sick, there was no way I could even think about drinking beer then. I wasn't alone though, everyone was bypassing the beer. A little before mile 26, there was a lady yelling, "Last hill, I promise." Oh thank you, thank you!! She lied! Well, there was a slight rise to the finish, not really a hill, but I felt incline, dang it! Crossing that finish line was awesome. I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would ever be able to run a marathon in under 4 hours. I was hoping for around 4:15. I finished 35/361 in the f25-29, and 193/1885 out of the total women (I couldn't find the overall for the combined).
What would you do differently?:

Get a hold of myself before races so that I can think clearly and have everything together. I really felt like I ran smart though keeping my heart rate under control until the last few miles, but there really was no controling it by that point unless I walked, which wasn't happening.
Post race
Warm down:

I received my finisher's medal, had my chip cut off and then I walked around in a daze. I wanted food. I found bagels at first...I don't think so, what kind of food is that?! Then I found a granola bar which I ate in about 0.3 seconds. Then they were giving away sausage in a tortilla, which I ate about half before I started to feel sick. Then I stumbled around looking for my friend. I saw Govenor Rick Perry finish (ha ha, I beat him!). I couldn't find Lindsay so I decided to catch the shuttle and wait for her at the hotel. As I'm walking towards the shuttles, I see her, amazing! How we were able to run in to each other amongst all those people, I'll never know, but I'm so glad we did. (She missed the entire thing. She's not exactly the most gifted when it comes to directions, she accidently found the finish area and found a parking spot...what a goober. She was there in spirit though). I rode with her back to the hotel. We were going to go eat, but my stomach hurt so bad, that I told her to just go on and I would try to eat perhaps when I got to Temple.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather made things a little tough in the end, but it could have been worse. I honestly feel like I was pretty well prepared for the race, which is evident in my time.

Event comments:

I'm going to be on a high for the rest of the month I think. This was a Valentine's gift to myself. I definitely proved to myself what my body is capable of doing with hard work. Now on to the real stuff this season, triathlons!!

As far as the race, it's a great event. I highly recommend it. Just resist the urge to go party on 6th street the night before! There was lots of music along the course, some bad (guys playing bagpipes, I heard the hokey pokey song), most good ("Eye of the Tiger", "Welcome to the Jungle")

Last updated: 2005-02-13 12:00 AM
Running
03:46:20 | 26.2 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/361
Overall: 193/1885
Performance: Good
Course: This course is rated the fastest course in Texas because it has the highest number of Boston Qualifiers. It drops 500 ft in total elevation. However, don't be fooled by this, it is Austin so there is a lot of up and down, especially the second half. The course starts in North Austin and winds down at the Palmer Events Center by the river.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-02-13 10:55 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: Freescale Marathon

2005-02-13 11:02 PM
in reply to: #116741

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: Freescale Marathon
Great Race Gina! You did so awesome! I think you held your head together great. You were wise to pay attention to your HR (almost) the whole way, and it paid off! I'm so impressed that you worked through your calf cramp.

Great job chick! You should be beaming for weeks!! Don't let anyone take your smile away from you

Edited by vertical_listing 2005-02-13 11:02 PM
2005-02-14 8:55 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
AWESOME time - you kicked butt girl!  Excellent job!
2005-02-14 9:27 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Great job Gina, on what must have been a brutal day. I've heard that temps got up near 80 by noon.
2005-02-14 9:39 AM

Online or Offline

Great race Gina! You are the Marathon Diva or Master or whatever..........

Taking off 50 min from your record was awesome!! CONGRATS!

2005-02-14 9:46 AM

Veteran
Texas
2 great races in two weeks, congrats!!!

2005-02-14 9:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA

Awesome race!  Congratulations...james

2005-02-14 10:59 AM

User image

Keller Texas

Wow! You are Awesome, Gina!

Great race and congratulations on your 3:46 time. You are an inspiration to all of us.

Steve

2005-02-14 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Gina, great job girl!!!  I had no doubts!  Your mental toughness is second to none and that only falls shortly behind your desire to smash the crap out of the competition...any competition!  You rock!!!  Damn, I may have to show up in Lubbock to watch you kick butt at BSL even if I am not going to be able to race it myself!!!  Keep up the good work..you have a busy schedule ahead!  Just remember that all of your races are not "A" races, so try not to go all out!  What the heck am I saying...ain't no way you will take any of them easy...you don't know the meaning to that word! 

CONGRATS!!!!

(edited to add:  Trashbags are the untimate in race day attire!  I have used them at every marathon, not just for rainy days...great for keeping the body temp up on windy cool mornings before the start.)

Edited by Cavu9 2005-02-14 12:27 PM
2005-02-14 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Thanks everyone! I'm still pinching myself to make sure it wasn't a dream. I've never had so much fun running!
2005-02-14 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kennesaw, GA
3:46:20- That's incredible! and inspiring.
Great race.

2005-02-14 8:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Oh My goodness! I am sooooo inspired by that race report and your achievements! Wow - you absolutely kicked butt - FANTASTIC times and a huge smashing to your previous PB. Thanks for sharing such detail - I loved reading it. You made my day. I am inspired
Well done!!!
2005-02-15 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Excellent race AND race report! Thanks for sharing. YOU ROCK!!!

-Frank
2005-02-17 12:07 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Very cool, Gina.  Congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Freescale Marathon Rss Feed