General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Completed First Triathlon !!! -- Sprint Distance, Angel's Race n Clemmons, NC 9-14-2008 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-14 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Subject: Completed First Triathlon !!! -- Sprint Distance, Angel's Race n Clemmons, NC 9-14-2008

Well,

Finally did it, ran my first tri and actually completed it - although it was just a Sprint distance, and I finished 12th from last in overall men's and 13th out of 13 Master Clydesdales ... was 238 out of 247 overall men's ... there were a little over 500 total in the race with 47 being relay teams and the rest women ...

... But nevertheless, I at least was able to finish and that was my goal for my first event!

Here is a link to the overall men's results:

http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_results&id=1065"

I was 238th, Bib # 454 .... time was 1:42:05 ....

I did a little better on the swim than I expected ... at 7:19.  I was very conservative when I submitted my 100m swim time and I believe most others shaved off some time, as I passed about 4 or 5 others in just this 300m swim.  I felt a little bad about the way I passed some, but they would not wait at the wall after being tapped on their feet, so I had to basically "bully" my way past them down the middle of the lane.

Two people I tapped waited at the wall ... a few others did not and I passed by down the middle ... and one or two were just goofing off, standing or dog paddling or something ... and I actually had to stop because of the log jam raffic, so I stood up real quick then jumped, dove under the water, and swam underneath these people to pass them.... I probably swam too hard and held my breath too long to complete this ... because my last couple of laps my arms were really burning ...

Also ... I was not aware of this until the pre-race briefing ... but they leave the lane ropes up ... and at the end of each lap you had to duck under the ropes to get into the next lane ... so this slowed me up some, but more so it threw off my breathing and timing a little ....  I think without the ducking under ropes and the passing ... I could have finished the swim between 6:45 and 7:00 mintues... but I came in at 7:19 ...

... of course my Transitions were slow ... I knew they would be ... even though I had everything laid out and followed all the tips about having sunglasses in bike helmet, helmet sitting on handlebars, etc .... I was slow ... I don't use bike shoes yets ... and not very coordinated ... so I sat down to roll on my socks, put on shoes I use to bike in ... then left the area ...

The bike time was okay, 45:19 ... which was about 5 to 10 minutes faster than I thought it would be.... but I may have also used up too much leg on the bike because I completely fell apart on the run ...

Again my T2 time was way slow ... but I was sucking big wind by now and again I sat down to take off those shoes and socks, put on my running socks and running shoes ... then I fiddled around trying to find my gatorade ... it was in my gym bag .... but I forgot that it was still inside a plastic bag and that inside my gym bag .... I was cursing under my breath cause I couldn't find it .... and I knew I needed some electrolytes ....

... so anyhow ... I actually slowly jogged out the T2 area and to the run start ... but I knew I was in trouble ....

.... there was a water stop right at the start of the run, I grabbed a cup and sipped it but my legs were already cramping... and in spots that never cramped before in training ....

... the run started out flat and within 1/4 mile it became fairly steep downhill ... the shin area and tops of my feet were cramping ( ??? don't understand that ...) and the sides of my hips or glutes were tight .... not my thighs and calves like usual .... so anyhow ... I'm taking it real slow .. I probably could have walked faster than what I was running... but I had it in my mind to run or jog the entire course ... vs. run some / walk some ... even though that might yield a better time ... for my first tri ... I wanted to say I ran the whole time .... but alas .... that did not happen ...

... next the course took a left turn and it leveled off but then just before the 1 mile mark it went uphill slightly and I had to walk ....then steep uphill, then off to a dirt and gravel trail ... I never trained like this.... for gravel, mud spots .. hills .... everything I trained on was either treadmill or flat 1/4 miles tracks .... 

so ....I definitely know what I need to train for next time ... anyhow I half ran half walked this 1 mile dogleg or lollipop type of out and in ... on this dirt and gravel ...

... then you finish that and hit the road again for the last mile ... ran some at first then it hit a killer steep uphill ... walked the entire hill... then jogged a few hundred feet then cramped ... walked about 1/4 mile and then it flattend out .... course volunteers told me only a 1/2 mile to go ... so I tried as best I could to HTFU ... and picked back up into a slow run ... then when I saw the finish line about 200m out I kick it up into the best/fastest sprint I could muster for the energy and legs I haf left in me .... so at least I looked good for the cheering crowd at the finish line ... (but they have no idea how sorry I was doing a mile back ...hehehe ...)

... anyhow, I think my run time was 42:30 ... which in a way still kinda surprises me ... cause I was estimating I would run an average 15:00 or so for the run ... which would have been 45 minutes plus ... but 42:30 divided by 3 is 14:10 per mile ... which is actually  pretty good time for me ... but ... it was really a 3.2 mile couse which would put it just under 14 minutes ... which I can't believe ...

.... so maybe the time was about what I expected ... but the pain, cramping, and hills is NOT what I was expecting ... at all ....

So, anyhow .... I Tri'ed it and I completed it ... so maybe I can actually call myself a Triathlete now, WooHoo!!!

Thanks to everyone who helped me out, gave me adivce, encouragement, etc .... to everyone at Fleet Feet Sports of Winston Salem, NC for their help and advice, Kevin Gaines and the other trainers at the Kernersville YMCA, especially to my wonderful massage therapist Lois and her magical hands (which enabled me to train as hard as I did).

Thanks to Cody from TrySports and to everyone on this site who gave me advice and encourgement .... and lastly but not least ... to my children Chris and Heather who were my biggest fans and supporters today!

Now ... after pigging out and sleeping all day today .... time tomorrow to start getting ready for Take Flight coming up Oct 18th .....

See ya!

Edited by klowman 2008-09-14 9:51 PM

2008-09-14 9:58 PM
in reply to: #1673735

User image

Expert
central Iowa
Subject: RE: Completed First Triathlon !!! -- Sprint Distance, Angel's Race n Clemmons, NC 9-14-2008
Congrats triathlete!  I would recommended putting all of your comments into a race report so that you can easily look back on this race in the months and years to come.
2008-09-14 10:08 PM
in reply to: #1673783

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Completed First Triathlon !!! -- Sprint Distance, Angel's Race n Clemmons, NC 9-14-2008

How do you do that?

I tried uploading my training plan as well, using the instructions on this site, but it didn't work correctly.  I downloaded the Excel template, used those labels, and entered all my times, workouts, comments, etc ... but when it uploaded most if the data was missing and only some things were in the "General Comments" section.

Anyhow, I see a forum for Race Reports ...are you talking about that, or something else - like from the control panel?

Thanks for the tip and for the kind words of praise,

See ya!

2008-09-15 3:34 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Dude,

This sucks big time .... I'm depressed ....

I was hoping for a bigger response than this ... I've seen others post about their first tri finish and get all kinds of congratulations and other responses .... I've only gotten one and it was basically advice on how to post my results ....

... dag .... I'm bummed out .... especially since I'm kinda riding a post-race depression right now ....kinda like that anti endorphin thing people get when their training is over ....

...oh well, guess I was expecting or putting too much into getting some "slaps on the back" for completing my first tri ....for more motivation ... when really I should be motivating myself ....

....well, enough whining and talking ...logging off now and heading to the YMCA to go workout ....

2008-09-15 3:51 PM
in reply to: #1675427

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
klowman - 2008-09-15 4:34 PM

Dude,

This sucks big time .... I'm depressed ....

I was hoping for a bigger response than this ... I've seen others post about their first tri finish and get all kinds of congratulations and other responses .... I've only gotten one and it was basically advice on how to post my results ....

... dag .... I'm bummed out .... especially since I'm kinda riding a post-race depression right now ....kinda like that anti endorphin thing people get when their training is over ....

...oh well, guess I was expecting or putting too much into getting some "slaps on the back" for completing my first tri ....for more motivation ... when really I should be motivating myself ....

....well, enough whining and talking ...logging off now and heading to the YMCA to go workout ....

Sometimes a post sorta gets lost. This is the first time I saw it.

You have lots to be proud of congrats on finishing your first triathlon. Yes, you are a triathlete! Wear that name proudly!

2008-09-15 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

WTG Klowman!!

Sure it helps to get encouragement here on BT, but don't forget about the cheering section that really counts, your kids.

To do a race report, click on your Training Log icon at the top of the page, then click on the Races icon in the Quick Links list (4th one down below Control Panel, etc). I think it is supposed to be a megaphone.

2008-09-15 4:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NH
Just saw it now myself.  Congratulations on the first of hopefully many!  Great Work!
2008-09-15 8:01 PM

Veteran
Congrats Klowman, Tanglewood is a tough course especially if the run took you down the hill and out to the BMX course and back up. Brutal actually. I did that course in May, right after the tornado.

Congrats Triathlete.
2008-09-15 8:29 PM

User image

Expert
Decatur
congratulations!
2008-09-15 8:37 PM

User image

Veteran

Congratulations!

You just completed something that most people will never even dare attempt! What a great example to show your children!

2008-09-15 8:47 PM

User image

Expert
central Iowa

Sorry if my first post wasn't congratulatory enough. Here goes:

Congratulations!!

Seriously though, that's a great time and you should be very proud!

2008-09-16 12:01 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Hey,

Thanks! Everyone ... and I know you all are busy, I was just sorta teasing about it ... but it is kind of a let down after completing such a monumental event.

I had been so psyched up and amped about this first tri that it was all I thought about day and night - it totally consumed my entire life.

Now that I finally completed it, I'm feeling a bit blue or depressed ... like I've lost some kind of magical fire or endorphin high.

I've read other posts and articles about people going thru similar "down" spells during their offseason and stuff, so I guess this must be what they are talking about.

Anyhow, guess I'll just have to HTFU and get on with preparing myself for my next event on Oct 18th - another sprint tri down near Charlotte, NC ... the Take Flight race.  That should be it for this year ... then I take a few days rest and then start all over again from square 1 ... and really build a proper base and follow one of the 4 or 6 month plans here on BT.

I kinda rushed into my first one, only allowed 5 weeks training plus 1 taper week ... but I was able to accomplish my goals and compelte the race.

I've got about 4 good weeks of training before the Oct 18th event ... and I'll definitely be working on the run portion ...

P.S. ... about the Tanglewood run course, we left the pool/transition area and went down the road toward Manor House, took a left there and down to the dirt road that heads toward the BMX course, then doubled back, got onto the road again  ... didn't head back from where we came ... but went right and followed the road as it went up THAT hill and beside the golf course.

We finished by coming back with the pool area and that old train locomotive being on the left.  That hill was killer and I heard that even many of the mor elite athletes walked the hill as well.

Thanks again everyone - I'm definitely hooked and will be doing these tri's for as long as my body will allow me!

2008-09-16 2:34 PM
in reply to: #1677374

Veteran
klowman - 2008-09-16 12:01 PM

p>P.S. ... about the Tanglewood run course, we left the pool/transition area and went down the road toward Manor House, took a left there and down to the dirt road that heads toward the BMX course, then doubled back, got onto the road again  ... didn't head back from where we came ... but went right and followed the road as it went up THAT hill and beside the golf course.

We finished by coming back with the pool area and that old train locomotive being on the left.  That hill was killer and I heard that even many of the mor elite athletes walked the hill as well.

Thanks again everyone - I'm definitely hooked and will be doing these tri's for as long as my body will allow me!

My run went from the pool/transition area out the back, toward the locomotive on the left side, right onto the road toward the park(on the right) down down down the hill. Got to the dirt road and left out to the bmx park, where I was wishing I had my bike helmet as a golf ball hit the tree right in front of me. we doubled back and headed back up up up the horrible horrendous hill, past the locomotive on the left and in behind the pool. DOwnright brutal run course. I am up for my next tri though in a month, with little to no training. Neck injury has kept me down.

Kara
2008-09-16 2:49 PM

DC Metro

Congratulations on the tri!  I was just going over the possibilities of things that would happen at my first tri (next year or the year after) and being near the bottom is definitely where I'd expect to place but the purpose is to have fun and get out there! 

2008-09-16 3:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Congratulations on completing your first tri!!  The Angels Race has a special place in my heart.  It was also my first tri two years ago.  I did it in honor of my 2 year old nephew that had just died of Leukemia.  Good luck on your next race!!
2008-09-16 3:55 PM
in reply to: #1673783

User image

Champion

Congrats!!  Welcome to the club.

Don't worry about the transitions, each person learns what they are comfortable with over time.

I remember trying to put a bike jersey on in T1 when my skin was wet.  That doesn't go so well.  

Great job, and good luck on your next one. 

2008-09-16 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
Harrisburg, PA
Congrats. T'is a good feeling to have completed that which we spent lots of time, effort, sweat, etc. Now there are times you will want to beat in the next events.
2008-09-17 5:33 PM
in reply to: #1678768

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

nxm165 - 2008-09-16 10:41 PM Congrats. T'is a good feeling to have completed that which we spent lots of time, effort, sweat, etc. Now there are times you will want to beat in the next events.

Yep!

I'm over my depression now and already started back training yesterday - did about 20-25 mintues of swiming.  Did a couple of 100m warmups then went for distance.  My previous best was 400m freestyle ( only did that once and 300m about 3 times leading up to the race this past weekend).

Went out yesterday and after the 100m warmups did 750m freestyle.  I think I could have kept going but my goggles started leaking and I wear contacts.  Prior to this my longest distance ever was 850m and that was using all sidestroke ... so I'm totally stoked on how well the swimming is coming along.

Today gonna go run - that is definitely my weakest link.  And after experiencing my first Transitions and how much water/gatorade/gel packs/peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches I really need to make thru an Sprint distance - I already know what I can cut down on my make my Transition area less cluttered and faster.

Also, I don't do bike shoes/clipping in yet.  But in training I didn't like the way my shoes got soaking wet when doing swim/bike bricks.  I have 1 pair of shoes I bike in, then my brand new fitted running shoes.  I didn't want to mess up my running shoes and get them all wet and stinky like the shoes did I bike in.

but I found out Sunday that I still sweated so much and still had moisture coming out of my clotehs from the swim, that even after I changed out of bike shoes and into new, fresh socks and running shoes in T2 - that by the end of the run those shoes were soaking wet as well.

So, only 1 pair of shoes next time and that will cut down Transition times as well.

Eventually as time and money allow (and experience) I'll get biking shoes and learn how to clip in.

Gotta go, time to go run some hills now - I'm pretty much done with that flat track out back of the YMCA, it played a dirty trick on me and made me think I was ready for the run portion!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Completed First Triathlon !!! -- Sprint Distance, Angel's Race n Clemmons, NC 9-14-2008 Rss Feed